Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Gone Hunting

"The bios set the size limit at 25" (63cm) so that the fish would have a chance to spawn, right? I can't imagine that 63cm was an arbitrary decision. Assuming that a 43" pike has grown at an average of even 3"/year would mean that fish was about to spawn in the spring for its 7th time. Isn't this enough? Don't we shoot huge bucks and be satisfied that the genes have been passed on enough by the time they're 4 years old? I don't see anyone on here complaining that those genes are being removed from the pool. Pike fishing is very good right now for the most part, especially in the southern part of the province."

exactly and dont let them say you cant compare hunting and fishing because thats all they preach, I've heard fishing compared to drivng in this thread so hunting is fare game.

"The only large pike I ever killed was on Fort Peck last winter. Fort Peck fishing is done with barbed hooks, live bait, and 6 rigs per angler. Rigs are left in overnight and checked in the morning. The 41" fish had completely inhaled a quickstrike to the point where you could barely see the swivel in the gullet. I never saw a single fish released there in three days. There are 3' piles of walleye, pike, and lake trout bodies frozen in places with the fillets off. We saw plenty of dead walleye over 30", including a 35" fish."

A deeply hooked fish caught in the mouth is one thing but when they swallow your hook the fish will die anyways, only to be sucker food.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 12-28-2008, 11:57 AM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2430M View Post
Well then maybe you guys should study up a little on english while you are out there. Because he said it and you can't seem to be able to read it LOL

If you read said quote, you will see, it is stating that killing it to eat it is a no no but to kill it to mount it is ok. I see no reference to taking a picture to get a replica mount at all. But I do see the word kill in the same sentence.

He even admitted it above.
You are getting totally off-topic because you realise you are fighting a lost cause.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM
TundraBuck

I'll say it again: You can't compare hunting and fishing. Whole different ball game. Absolutely non-debatable.

Quote:
A deeply hooked fish caught in the mouth is one thing but when they swallow your hook the fish will die anyways, only to be sucker food.
This doesn't make sense.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Default lets compare hunting and fishing

In hunting people try their best to kill a mature buck because its lived long enough to pass its genes and people allow smaller bucks to reach maturity.

A big pike has spawned since it was 3 years old, its done its job and passed its genes. If theirs one big pike theres always going to be more to follow.

As far as the hook thing goes, if you cut your line because a pike is hooked in the back of the mouth it may have a chance, afish that has swallowed a bait isnt going to survive plain and simple

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 12-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned

exactly tundra, you don't have a degree in biology

NICE FISH GUYS!!!!! some tasty looking fillets there...
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM

Default why is it

That some people just can't get it that people will have different opinions. That their opinion is only valid and important to them, whether that opinion is right or wrong. IMHO killing a 43" pike to hang on the wall is plain wrong. But then I don't collect trophy's so my opinion is just that mine. I don't try to force it on other people. Killing a 43" pike to eat is ok. Now some said its ok to kill it to mount but wrong to eat because it won't pass on its jeans to others, but its ok to kill it to mount it. Hmmm what gets me is the fish is just as dead and either way it won't pass on its jeans. Think about it fellas / gals. If you can't put your opinion forward in a manner that respects others perhaps you should keep your opinion to yourself.
Just like that fish, this thread is dead.