Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
And if 100,000 people around you felt you deserved it and were willing to pay it, you would get it too
If there is 20,000 on AOF...that is a great start. 80,000 more to go. Can you help?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
If there is 20,000 on AOF...that is a great start. 80,000 more to go. Can you help?
I don't know what you do, but im willing to bet you do it well and look damn good doing it. I'll chip in!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
I don't know what you do, but im willing to bet you do it well and look damn good doing it. I'll chip in!!!
gosh...golly...geeee whiz...

I can feel the love.

So...why can't we get the NHL to feel it also.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Default Tired of it

I quit watching Hockey after the last strike. The players have to realize they dont play one of the major sports. Hockey doesn't produce the revenues that other leagues do. They are well compensated for playing a game they love. In my mind they should accept this and move on. I dont have a problem with them being well compensated for doing there job, they are elite athletes. I just have a problem when a guy making 5 mill a season feels like he is underpaid and that he is entiled to make 5.2 mill or he will strike. I cant generate a ton of sympathy for a person in that situation.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I just have a problem when a guy making 5 mill a season feels like he is underpaid and that he is entiled to make 5.2 mill or he will strike. I cant generate a ton of sympathy for a person in that situation.
Hey buddy, Got a spare $200,000 you can lend me? I'll pay ya back on friday

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
i'd give a big thumbs up for the game going away for a while.

I used to be a hockey fanatic years ago, stopped watching when salaries went through the roof and players were bawling about not making enough money.

They don't play for the love of the game anymore, they play for money. Makes me sick to my stomach when the average joe take take his kid to a game anymore cause it costs too much.

Yep, was given a few sets of gold tickets over the years - right behind the net, 5 rows back. Gave them away to people couldn't afford to go cause i couldn't be bothered to go.
x10
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Default Sorry I dont understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
Hey buddy, Got a spare $200,000 you can lend me? I'll pay ya back on friday
Im sorry i dont quite understand. Can ya help help a slighty dense old fella out?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 PM

I have never watched hockey on a regular basis, nor do I plan to start.

Players are WAY overpaid, most of the time the game is boring and holds no interest to me.

Its becoming too political - It doesn't even seem like its about the game anymore.

2012/13 season gone? Oh well, Maybe those millions of dollars for each player can go towards something half-decent instead.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Im sorry i dont quite understand. Can ya help help a slighty dense old fella out?
No matter how much money you make, $200000 is a great chunk of change that an incredibly few in this world would leave on the table because it's not worth it.

Business is business and that 200k is likely the difference in his agent's fees.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM

Jeez, where do I start?

Sounds like a lot of guys are annoyed at the players making so much money. You be one of the top 50 in the world at what you do and say "That's way too much money. I only need 10% of that"

Sounds like a lot of guys are annoyed at the players' attitudes. That's why you watch hockey? Put a bunch of goats on skates and let them play. I will still watch it. I like the game. I don't care who plays it.

Some of you said the prefer WHL because the players are just playing because they love the game. I call BS!! They are trying their azzes off because they want to make the $5 mil contracts. It's still about money with them.

I will be pizzed if I don't get to watch NHL. Having some friends over for the game, the excitement of hoping for a playoff run, deciding which bandwagon to jump on each week, watching my daughter say "I'm going to be better than him when I get older", constantly hoping that someone will hand me some tickets to a game then getting let down time and time again.

You want to discuss overpaid players?

GOLF.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:24 PM

People are obviously missing the point, player salaries are paid by hockey revenue. Meaning that it comes from gate income, television deals, apparel sales etc. So if you don't watch games live or on television or buy NHL branded clothing you aren't contributing to the income source. Like anything the market dictates what a player is worth. Scoring 30 goals and 75 points is worth about 6mil per.

It's kinda like the guy stacking lumber at home depot making 40k a year saying patch guys aren't worth 150k a year. Well the simple answer is somebody seems to think so. Not that there is anything wrong with home depot but that's what the market dictates it's worth.

I'll say it again, but if you have a specialized skill set you are gonna be compensated for it. Pro athletes have a very specialized skill set, not everyone
Can go top shelf at full speed from the top of the circle, not everyone can hit a curveball after you just saw a 92mph heater and those that can benefit greatly. What most of us wish we could have done they do.

So if you dont want to spend 250 per ticket or watch sportsnet west or buy authentic jerseys at 270 a pop don't. Obviously others do to make 75 points worth 6mil.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Default Thanks for clarifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
No matter how much money you make, $200000 is a great chunk of change that an incredibly few in this world would leave on the table because it's not worth it.

Business is business and that 200k is likely the difference in his agent's fees.
Thank you for clarifying. You have a legitimate point.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Jeez, where do I start?

Sounds like a lot of guys are annoyed at the players making so much money. You be one of the top 50 in the world at what you do and say "That's way too much money. I only need 10% of that"

Sounds like a lot of guys are annoyed at the players' attitudes. That's why you watch hockey? Put a bunch of goats on skates and let them play. I will still watch it. I like the game. I don't care who plays it.

Some of you said the prefer WHL because the players are just playing because they love the game. I call BS!! They are trying their azzes off because they want to make the $5 mil contracts. It's still about money with them.

I will be pizzed if I don't get to watch NHL. Having some friends over for the game, the excitement of hoping for a playoff run, deciding which bandwagon to jump on each week, watching my daughter say "I'm going to be better than him when I get older", constantly hoping that someone will hand me some tickets to a game then getting let down time and time again.

GOLF.
Golf is totally different. Golf is purely based upon performance based metrics year after year. If you don't win tournaments you don't make money. Sure some get endorsement revenue...but those are tied to performance also...and also tied to behavoir...hense Tiger lost a lot of money.

In hockey...once you sign the golden goose...the egg is yours and you can break it, ignore it or make an omlete. There is no performance written in...hense teams get stuck with lemons after signing big deals way more often then getting the golden goose.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
People are obviously missing the point, player salaries are paid by hockey revenue. Meaning that it comes from gate income, television deals, apparel sales etc. So if you don't watch games live or on television or buy NHL branded clothing you aren't contributing to the income source. Like anything the market dictates what a player is worth. Scoring 30 goals and 75 points is worth about 6mil per.

It's kinda like the guy stacking lumber at home depot making 40k a year saying patch guys aren't worth 150k a year. Well the simple answer is somebody seems to think so. Not that there is anything wrong with home depot but that's what the market dictates it's worth.

I'll say it again, but if you have a specialized skill set you are gonna be compensated for it. Pro athletes have a very specialized skill set, not everyone
Can go top shelf at full speed from the top of the circle, not everyone can hit a curveball after you just saw a 92mph heater and those that can benefit greatly. What most of us wish we could have done they do.

So if you dont want to spend 250 per ticket or watch sportsnet west or buy authentic jerseys at 270 a pop don't. Obviously others do to make 75 points worth 6mil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Jeez, where do I start?

GOLF.

Lock it up. These two win the thread.

/thread
Old 08-10-2012, 02:33 PM

How about taking the money we spend on hockey either directly or indirectly and have it go to support olympic athletes. Other countries like China do so well as their athletes are paid to do that job. We in Canada do not support our athletes except to complain when they do not do well.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
AvayaAce

If every person could play in the NHL.........they would. Bottom line is that they get what they can, when they can.
Golfers aren't overpaid.....they don't perfom, they don't get paid.

Lots of excellent golfers are sleeping in their cars on the Canadian Tour etc.

I want a do over to come back as an athlete and play professional sports
Old 08-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
How about taking the money we spend on hockey either directly or indirectly and have it go to support olympic athletes. Other countries like China do so well as their athletes are paid to do that job. We in Canada do not support our athletes except to complain when they do not do well.
Agreed, people like Cindy Klassan and Clara Hughes deserve a lot of our respect and funding, but they don't get it.

Imagine what our olympic shooting team would look like with sponsorships?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM

About the only thing I'll really miss is HBO's 24/7 on Toronto/Detroit match up