Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I love how you folks are sitting back stewing over a "faux feud" going on between this Cody and Gary fellows....and getting mad at each other about it...better than reality TV....whatever situation you guys have created here likely never happened
I am with Lefty-Canuck. Gary Donald has already made mention of Cody's deer in the latest issue of Big Buck. I knew when I read it that it was probably all that we would hear from Gary about it.

I am sure that both Gary and Cody realized what was going to happen as soon as he downed that monster. I highly doubt there are any hard feelings between them. They are both extremely hard working and arguably the best in the business and I have nothing but respect for both of them.

Congrats Cody you earned it!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned

holy catfish there sure are a lot of guys here who seem to think they know something about this whole situation. kinda funny, but mostly sad....

anyway, congrats to cody....now hopefully the score holds up at the panel and he gets his rightful place at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
ISB just made some money....it wasn't featured in the mag many thought it would be.

LC
and congrats to me!!!!!

im gonna have to dig up that old thread to see who needs a pm with an address for the cheque....

and thanks to bearen for being the first to speak up....good honest man right there. if i remember right there were 4 or 5 that took the bet.

hornaholic i think it was might be off the hook for that 50 on last years supposed world record whitetail. i have heard the real score, but the owner of the head is not posting anything official anywhere yet, so nothing in the way of printed proof.......but horn....i was right.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM

I don't know much about the harvesting of this buck, I don't watch Cody's show or subscribe to Wild TV - mostly because I can't stand the Amerks jumping around like idiots.
So I'm on the outside looking in.
But there's one fundamental question that some of you guys in the inner circle must know about.
Cody is from Saskatchewan and the story is the buck was apparently harvested on his home place.
But what nobody has talked about so far is this:
Was it harvested over bait?
If it wasn't then good on ya, Cody.
If it was taken on an alfalfa pile then there are a lot of ethical and possibly record book questions that may soon be asked.
Anyone got any insights?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
If it was taken on an alfalfa pile then there are a lot of ethical and possibly record book questions that may soon be asked.
Anyone got any insights?
hers one for you neil. even if it was taken over bait, thats legal in saskatchewan, therefore i see absolutely zero questions surrounding ethics or any record book. as for ethics....thats up to the individual. for me, ill state it once again that its legal, so yup....definitly ethical. and thats without stating if it was...or NOT.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
sheephunter

Don't believe it was baited but even if it was, it would have no bearing on its world record status. Perfectly legal in Sask.

Great looking buck....nice to see someone like Cody get him. The guy lives and breathes big mule deer!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Don't believe it was baited but even if it was, it would have no bearing on its world record status. Perfectly legal in Sask.

Great looking buck....nice to see someone like Cody get him. The guy lives and breathes big mule deer!
There are two questions TJ. Ethical and record book legal.
So was it baited or not?
"Legal" being the lesser issue. Helicopter hunting is "legal" in New Zealand. But is it right?
Surely some of you insiders know for sure.
Was this a bucket buck? Or was it fair chase?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about the harvesting of this buck, I don't watch Cody's show or subscribe to Wild TV - mostly because I can't stand the Amerks jumping around like idiots.
So I'm on the outside looking in.
But there's one fundamental question that some of you guys in the inner circle must know about.
Cody is from Saskatchewan and the story is the buck was apparently harvested on his home place.
Anyone got any insights?
No bait..
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
So was it baited or not?
"Legal" being the lesser issue. Helicopter hunting is "legal" in New Zealand. But is it right?
You were the one that questioned its eligibility for the books.....I just pointed out that it would qualify regardless.

Ethics are a personal thing to me....
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
So was it baited or not?
for a guy making some ugly points you should check your facts neil. how do you think there is a record book issue even if it was baited? your ethics are yours alone. look up the definition of the word....and further, dont ignore my question.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
No bait, early season mules and bait don't mix. Was a spot and stalk kill.

Awesome deer thats for sure, I've seen some pics of his replica with a few different angles, this deer is scary big!

I see some guys have gotten all poopy pants over Eastmans printing the story, hope your momma makes you stew in it until you grow up
Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Well seems to be all right with B&C. I guess:

"BAITING
Trophies taken with the aid of bait are eligible for entry in the Club’s Awards Programs and listing in the records books so long as the practice is legal in the state or province where the trophy was taken."

Kind of a mixed message though. Nothing specific about helicopters that I could find.
I guess it's one step up from SCI's "preserve" category.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

"BAITING
Trophies taken with the aid of bait are eligible for entry in the Club’s Awards Programs and listing in the records books so long as the practice is legal in the state or province where the trophy was taken."

Kind of a mixed message though. Nothing specific about helicopters that I could find.
where the hell did a helicopter enter the equation???
Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

"BAITING

Actually SCI does not allow the entry of animals hunted with helicopter. They made that ruling a few years ago. Think it's covered in B&C under motorized vehicles.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 PM

From slamming a guy for getting a new world record to the ethics police. This one just keeps getting better.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

anyone ever seen any mule deer hit any sort of bait regular?

i'd like to see alberta get recognition for the world record next year please, to whoever has that over 300" please come forward!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Nobody is slamming anyone. Just asking a fundamental question that anyone is entitled to ask about a Saskatchewan hunt. Was this buck baited?
The answer, apparently, is no.
So the air has been cleared. Good. Well done Cody.
But don't come unglued just because there are a few missing details.
Because when that starts happening folk's bullsh!t detectors tend to bleep.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Nobody is slamming anyone. Just asking a fundamental question that anyone is entitled to ask about a Saskatchewan hunt. Was this buck baited?
Mine is snapping it's proverbial crayons right now in fact.....
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I haven't seen the article but I would suspect the details are all in it. Weird if the weren't. What was missing from it?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I was told the whole hunt was filmed so well know soon enough. Either way doesn't matter to me, that's a heck of a buck.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
so if it was over bait the air would be dirty? it would still be legal.

i really see it no different than baiting bears in alberta....another legal practice. is that ok neil?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
holy catfish there sure are a lot of guys here who seem to think they know something about this whole situation. kinda funny, but mostly sad....

anyway, congrats to cody....now hopefully the score holds up at the panel and he gets his rightful place at the top.

and congrats to me!!!!!

im gonna have to dig up that old thread to see who needs a pm with an address for the cheque....

and thanks to bearen for being the first to speak up....good honest man right there. if i remember right there were 4 or 5 that took the bet.

hornaholic i think it was might be off the hook for that 50 on last years supposed world record whitetail. i have heard the real score, but the owner of the head is not posting anything official anywhere yet, so nothing in the way of printed proof.......but horn....i was right.
Hold your horses ISB, apparently Big Buck mag is also doing a feature on Codys deer, Big Buck will get more pictures than Eastmans including pics while the deer was still alive prior to any hunting etc. so I would call this a draw if both mags are doing features.....
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
so if it was over bait the air would be dirty? it would still be legal.

i really see it no different than baiting bears in alberta....another legal practice. is that ok neil?
I've got issues with bear baiting if the Ontario experience is anything to bank on. Only because of how it could impact me moving forward.
The antis dine out on baits, bucket bucks and fenced hunts.
Just out of curiosity are all those preserve/road hunts in what's left of Africa record book legal?
Again, not that I'm taking anything away from Cody's fine accomplishment.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Banned

check the other thread BP
Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM

This thread really seperates the boys from the men. I will say it over and over....if you put as much effort into hunting as you did being negative to others accomplishments, then maybe you will have something to show for it. I'm guessing all the guys giving the pat on the back are the ones who know what work it takes to be consistent. For those who bash well maybe one day you will get the passion others have for big deer and understand.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
From slamming a guy for getting a new world record to the ethics police. This one just keeps getting better.

It gets really old doesn't it.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 PM

Talking Great Deer

Way to go Cody.
And Eastmans is a great magazine!
All of Cody's and the Live to Hunt crews hard work helped harvest this record book deer.
I can keep trying myself, and one day maybe I'll catch up.......
For now I am proud he's Canadian and achieved a World's Record!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
It gets really old doesn't it.
Hey Duk, does that ram's horn in your icon come up to the eye socket??
It kooks a little .....
:s Ha_shakeshout::sHa _shakeshout: JUST KIDDIN':sHa_shakes hout:
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Monster Mulie

Quote:

"BAITING

Boone & Crockett will not even score a velvet buck,,,,a 292 buck would be #34 in the B&C book.

Last edited by sullijr; 01-26-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Hold your horses ISB, apparently Big Buck mag is also doing a feature on Codys deer, Big Buck will get more pictures than Eastmans including pics while the deer was still alive prior to any hunting etc. so I would call this a draw if both mags are doing features.....
No! You owe ISB $20.00,you lost..... be a man and pay your bills!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Who was published first?....thats the question

LC