Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
My income has been increasing steadily for the entire time Harper has been PM. Maybe it's you?
That's a pretty localized benchmark with which to measure success.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
My income has been increasing steadily for the entire time Harper has been PM. Maybe it's you?
Obviously not or Harper would still be PM... As I said in another thread I'm sure I'm not the only one making less this year then I did 10 years ago. Did you not get laid off from the patch?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Steven Harper guided Canada through one of the worst global recessions and Canada pretty much came through untouched.
Was that when he shut parliament down for six months,things were really tough,worst in canadain history,and the only one who went into hard times in 2008 was the usa housing fallouts,the biggest global crisis was lehman brothers along with fannie mae plus freddy mac who almost took down the the usa banking system with toxic loans,harper had nothing to do with that.Canadians flocked down to the usa to buy properties dirt cheap,you mean that recession.

Instead are economy went right wacko,housing prices up 500 percent in some places,average is 150 to 200,inflation at a rate never seen before,don't blame trudeau for this mess or the price of oil.An acre went from 1000 to 4500.

The only ones to blame are the greedy banks and real estates dealers and all the greedy people in Canada,if you think one man can change greed in the human race ,your wrong,no matter if harper was still in or who ever,were in for the ride of our lives.We the Canadian people think were smarter than the usa and japan,just wait and see how smart we are.Japans housing market dropped 90 percent over night.people in bc live in million dollar homes but can't afford air conditioning ,go figure.

We are now at the start of the worst world recessions ever,so when our bubble pops it won't be good, and nothing worst then someone crying it's his fault,it's the way we have been living for the past decades and were going to run into one big wall ,like the libs or the cons it won't matter and please stop trying to pass the buck onto someone else when it's our own fault,like it or not at one point were all going to need each other.

Last edited by JD848; 10-27-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
Was that when he shut parliament down for six months,things were really tough,worst in canadain history,and the only one who went into hard times in 2008 was the usa housing fallouts,the biggest global crisis was lehman brothers along with fannie mae plus freddy mac who almost took down the the usa banking system with toxic loans,harper had nothing to do with that.Canadians flocked down to the usa to buy properties dirt cheap,you mean that recession.

Instead are economy went right wacko,housing prices up 500 percent in some places,average is 150 to 200,inflation at a rate never seen before,don't blame trudeau for this mess or the price of oil.An acre went from 1000 to 4500.

The only ones to blame are the greedy banks and real estates dealers and all the greedy people in Canada,if you think one man can change greed in the human race ,your wrong,no matter if harper was still in or who ever,were in for the ride of our lives.We the Canadian people think were smarter than the usa and japan,just wait and see how smart we are.Japans housing market dropped 90 percent over night.people in bc live in million dollar homes but can't afford air conditioning ,go figure.

We are now at the start of the worst world recessions ever,so when our bubble pops it won't be good, and nothing worst then someone crying it's his fault,it's the way we have been living for the past decades and were going to run into one big wall ,like the libs or the cons it won't matter and please stop trying to pass the buck onto someone else when it's our own fault,like it or not at one point were all going to need each other.
Don't listen to this man. Everything is A OK thanks to Harper...
Economic liberalism failed in 1874 and in 1929, this neo liberalism instigated by the likes of Thatcher and Reagan will fail again and leaders like Harper have thrown us in with them.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Don't listen to this man. Everything is A OK thanks to Harper...
Economic liberalism failed in 1874 and in 1929, this neo liberalism instigated by the likes of Thatcher and Reagan will fail again and leaders like Harper have thrown us in with them.
What the heck are you talking about,you think were better off now then we were 10 or 15 years ago,if you do then you need to wake up or your drunk.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about,you think were better off now then we were 10 or 15 years ago,if you do then you need to wake up or your drunk.
Sarcasm. Harper took us down the wrong path and things would be much worse if it wasn't for the opposition holding to Keynesian logic when we had a minority.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 AM

Can't blame.Harper for low oil prices.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:

inflation at a rate never seen before,.
You must be brand new to Canada or a teenager if you think we are dealing with inflation at a level never seen before. We are in a time of very low interest rates and inflation.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
We've been in a recession for what his last 6 years? .
No we haven't. You know what the definition of insanity is, but do you even know what the definition of a recession is?

At least argue from the facts.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You must be brand new to Canada or a teenager if you think we are dealing with inflation at a level never seen before. We are in a time of very low interest rates and inflation.
Interests rates are low indeed but real inflation is not nearly as low as they are selling. That is just a ploy to justify keeping interest rates down. What in your spending hasn't gone up +5% per year and in most case way more? The gov't does not want to pop the debt fueled housing bubble. How much tax money and jobs has the bubble created? Canadians at all time high debt levels. Any gov't the is viewed to do anything to upset housing is going to get slaughtered and slaughter a lot of overleveraged people.

That and they want interest rates low to keep the Canadian dollar down to help the manufacturing sector. Low dollar isn't hurting Canadian oil companies selling in US dollars either.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
No we haven't. You know what the definition of insanity is, but do you even know what the definition of a recession is?

At least argue from the facts.
Can you honestly say we totally recovered from the last recession?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Can you honestly say we totally recovered from the last recession?
Other than the Ontario Provincial Liberals 1 billion a month in interest alone for debt, yes.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Interests rates are low indeed but real inflation is not nearly as low as they are selling. That is just a ploy to justify keeping interest rates down. What in your spending hasn't gone up +5% per year and in most case way more? The gov't does not want to pop the debt fueled housing bubble. How much tax money and jobs has the bubble created? Canadians at all time high debt levels. Any gov't the is viewed to do anything to upset housing is going to get slaughtered and slaughter a lot of overleveraged people.

That and they want interest rates low to keep the Canadian dollar down to help the manufacturing sector. Low dollar isn't hurting Canadian oil companies selling in US dollars either.
So you are saying Stats Canada is putting out fraudulent inflation numbers. Is that what you are saying? Any proof?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Not one thing on that list is great. It's all stuff I expect from the government. Also can people stop acting like cutting the GST was a great thing. Myself and my children will have to pay for the extra 180B in debt that Harper ran up thanks to his tax cuts.
Aw geezz raab, Harper could have cured cancer, diabetes, heart disease, strokes and Alzheimer's, totally fixed climate change, and put $100,000,000.00 a year in your personal pocket to spend as you wish and you'd still pizz on his lawn.

We get it - you absolutely hate the man (fine Christian sentiment, by the way) and couldn't see anything he's done as our countries PM in a tough world as good.

I sure hope JT doesn't let you down, and I hope he can effect some positive outcomes; but, I have my fears and doubts about that. He's already negatively impacted my / our plans with his proposals.

Oh yeah, under JT we are guaranteed to run an even bigger deficit and debt - how are you, your kids and grandkids and their kids going to like that? You do understand that his promised deficit spending plan will add to the debt already in place, don't you? Under Harper's plan we were going to be going the other way. Ya can kiss that goodbye now
Old 10-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Aw geezz raab, Harper could have cured cancer, diabetes, heart disease, strokes and Alzheimer's, totally fixed climate change, and put $100,000,000.00 a year in your personal pocket to spend as you wish and you'd still pizz on his lawn.

We get it - you absolutely hate the man (fine Christian sentiment, by the way) and couldn't see anything he's done as our countries PM in a tough world as good.

I sure hope JT doesn't let you down, and I hope he can effect some positive outcomes; but, I have my fears and doubts about that. He's already negatively impacted my / our plans with his proposals.

Oh yeah, under JT we are guaranteed to run an even bigger deficit and debt - how are you, your kids and grandkids and their kids going to like that? You do understand that his promised deficit spending plan will add to the debt already in place, don't you? Under Harper's plan we were going to be going the other way. Ya can kiss that goodbye now
How do JT's plans effect you? If your the average senior you'll be getting a tax cut, and he's keeping income splitting. Yes JT is running small deficits of 10B per year for 3 years then balancing it in the final year. At least he's honest about it. Harper was all about balanced budgets and he's run up 1/3rd of the countries national debt. Harper's less conservative more fascist. He sold out this country and it's workers with his trickle down economics which haven't worked.l and corporate welfare.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Harper was all about balanced budgets and he's run up 1/3rd of the countries national debt. Harper's less conservative more fascist. He sold out this country and it's workers with his trickle down economics which haven't worked.l and corporate welfare.
Harper claimed to have balanced the budget, but he had to sell off a ton of national assets to do it.

Rather like balancing your home budget by selling off the silverware and TV.

It's insulting to the intelligence of Canadians, although many Canadians seemed quite ok with that.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Banned

Yeah I guess taking money out of EI and reducing transfer payments to the provinces, especially Alberta, as Paul Martin did, is okay. Short memory?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I am talking about inflation in domestic goods that the average person needs each day,food clothing housing etc, up 100 percent and more.

Inflation in bank interest rates in 2008 in the usa were .25 with and are now .50 with the federal reserve,the bank of Canada rates right now are not much different than in 2008 when the usa banking system almost tumble so why or how are we in such a stable position as a country,i am not blaming Harper for this mess or oil prices.

Inflated real estate markets have made people think they can go out and borrow and max out every credit card because they can't afford ,there is more personal debt in Canada now than ever before,go by a steak or try and take your kids to the movie's and you say no inflation in prices,even if you didn't go to school a monkey could figure this out.Most families can't afford taking kids to movie's and also adults.

Some say were in a recession but there were 290 billionaires in one year world wide and up from 1500 in just one year.one trillion dollars of wealth for 290 people and trillion in personal debt for all off Canada,go figure.
The rich are getting filthy rich and the average person is just getting buy and ever one is worried about the Canadian budget,i think more people should be satisfied with what they have but that will never happen because we have become a very greedy society in an expensive country.Two of the Canadian banks,i think cibc and td are laying off more employees because there afraid there stocks may fall and loss investors but there profit's are better than ever,bunch off arrholes the whole works,it's all about meeting the numbers so we can have few more billionaires take down the working people.Politics my arrs it's way beyond that.

Last edited by JD848; 10-28-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I am talking about inflation in domestic goods that the average person needs each day,food clothing housing etc, up 100 percent and more.
I don't know how to say it any more politely than that you are misinformed. the inflation rate hasn't hit 3% per year since 1991.

You say prices have gone up 100%. yes they have... 100% since 1987. They have doubled in 28 years. That is not high inflation.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
How do JT's plans effect you? If your the average senior you'll be getting a tax cut, and he's keeping income splitting. Yes JT is running small deficits of 10B per year for 3 years then balancing it in the final year. At least he's honest about it. Harper was all about balanced budgets and he's run up 1/3rd of the countries national debt. Harper's less conservative more fascist. He sold out this country and it's workers with his trickle down economics which haven't worked.l and corporate welfare.
You've got a lousy memory. I explained all of that in another post pre-election .

I'll give you a bit again:
1. income splitting. As we began planning for our retirement several years ago we were advised to keep our incomes in retirement roughly the same; thus income splitting is not even an option for us.

2 when Harper brought in the TFSA we were advised to make use of it, so we did. IT wasn't easy because neither of us makes 'big money', but we found ways to save and maximize our contributions to the plan. Why? Because earnings are 'tax free' thus would not impact our income in retirement when we would begin to use that income. As we've gotten closer to retirement and Harper increased the contribution limits that was a big plus! We could save even more so that our disposable income would be higher - and we could take care of ourselves more comfortably. JT is clawing that back. Over the next 5 years that clawback is going to cost us thousands per year in tax free retirement usable income. By the way, we were counting on that because I'm getting roughly $1100.00 in pension money (between my 'company' pension and CPP). Trudeau's plan is costing us big time.

3. tax cut. What tax cut? It's only on the percentage above $44,000. Neither of us will reach that in retirement income (my wife doesn't make that now!) Plus we can expect significant tax increases elsewhere (cap and trade? carbon taxes on goods and services?, increase to GST / HST?, new revenue streams?)

JT being honest? You actually believe what he's saying?
I'll bet his numbers are going to be way off because 10 billion is just a number pulled out of thin air for campaign purposes. So far he's given us nothing to show how that will be paid off. His campaign promises add up to a whole lot more than that.
By the way, he's only 'proposing' to spend an additional 10 billion a year more than revenues, and in his 4th year to balance the books. That says nothing about paying down the debt he proposes to add to existing debt. What he is saying is that he's going to go out and get some more credit cards with a 10 billion dollar limit and max them out - merely making interest payments on them. Take a good look at your own credit card statement and see just how long it'll take to pay the balance owing off if all you do is pay the interest. Good grief man, think a little bit about this! Trudeau is promising to add a lot to the national mortgage! And the interest has to be paid!

You see, raab, JT's campaign promises mean there has to be money flowing into Federal coffers - lots of money - 'new' money - more money - lots and lots of it.
Think of JT's tax cut promise as a tree in a forest. You saw that tree (and bought a branch off of it), but the rest of the forest and what it stands on completely missed your view.

I asked you before to calculate the interest on JT's 'small deficits', but you didn't. So I'll help you out: 10 billion at let's say 1.5% = roughly 81 million in interest in one year (simple interest, not compound). That gets added to the interest already being paid on existing debt (currently about 1.3 trillion?). Who's going to pay it all?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You've got a lousy memory. I explained all of that in another post pre-election .

2 when Harper brought in the TFSA we were advised to make use of it, so we did. IT wasn't easy because neither of us makes 'big money', but we found ways to save and maximize our contributions to the plan. Why? Because earnings are 'tax free' thus would not impact our income in retirement when we would begin to use that income. As we've gotten closer to retirement and Harper increased the contribution limits that was a big plus!
I've always considered the TFSA to bit a litmus test of financial gullibility.

Earnings in a *savings account*?? REALLY??

For most people, your money is better off put in an RSP, so you can realize the tax savings immediately. The only way a TFSA makes sense is if it's a trading account.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:15 PM

raab - another thing: JT's campaign promises added up, according to this article, "The party’s financial brass outlined its plan to add a jaw-dropping $146.5 billion in new government spending over the next four years, financed through debt, increased taxes and targeted cuts."
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/07...rs-dont-add-up

Did ya get that - 146 billion in NEW spending - and look at how it is to be financed - "debt, increased taxes and targeted cuts."

You might be getting your layoff notice sooner than you expected
Old 10-28-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I'll give you a bit again:
1. income splitting. As we began planning for our retirement several years ago we were advised to keep our incomes in retirement roughly the same; thus income splitting is not even an option for us.

2 when Harper brought in the TFSA we were advised to make use of it, so we did. IT wasn't easy because neither of us makes 'big money', but we found ways to save and maximize our contributions to the plan. Why? Because earnings are 'tax free' thus would not impact our income in retirement when we would begin to use that income. As we've gotten closer to retirement and Harper increased the contribution limits that was a big plus! We could save even more so that our disposable income would be higher - and we could take care of ourselves more comfortably. JT is clawing that back. Over the next 5 years that clawback is going to cost us thousands per year in tax free retirement usable income. By the way, we were counting on that because I'm getting roughly $1100.00 in pension money (between my 'company' pension and CPP). Trudeau's plan is costing us big time.

3. tax cut. What tax cut? It's only on the percentage above $44,000. Neither of us will reach that in retirement income (my wife doesn't make that now!) Plus we can expect significant tax increases elsewhere (cap and trade? carbon taxes on goods and services?, increase to GST / HST?, new revenue streams?)

JT being honest? You actually believe what he's saying?
I'll bet his numbers are going to be way off because 10 billion is just a number pulled out of thin air for campaign purposes. So far he's given us nothing to show how that will be paid off. His campaign promises add up to a whole lot more than that.
By the way, he's only 'proposing' to spend an additional 10 billion a year more than revenues, and in his 4th year to balance the books. That says nothing about paying down the debt he proposes to add to existing debt. What he is saying is that he's going to go out and get some more credit cards with a 10 billion dollar limit and max them out - merely making interest payments on them. Take a good look at your own credit card statement and see just how long it'll take to pay the balance owing off if all you do is pay the interest. Good grief man, think a little bit about this! Trudeau is promising to add a lot to the national mortgage! And the interest has to be paid!

You see, raab, JT's campaign promises mean there has to be money flowing into Federal coffers - lots of money - 'new' money - more money - lots and lots of it.
Think of JT's tax cut promise as a tree in a forest. You saw that tree (and bought a branch off of it), but the rest of the forest and what it stands on completely missed your view.

I asked you before to calculate the interest on JT's 'small deficits', but you didn't. So I'll help you out: 10 billion at let's say 1.5% = roughly 81 million in interest in one year (simple interest, not compound). That gets added to the interest already being paid on existing debt (currently about 1.3 trillion?). Who's going to pay it all?
Harper ran up a higher deficit in 1 year then JT is proposing over 3. The debt will be paid off by an increase in GDP and the hard work of my generation and the generations that follow. While the typical conservative seniors seen all the benefits of the borrowing we'll be the ones with the knife that will have to cut something. Most likely our universal health care, CPP, and the OAS. So while I feel bad about your TFSA being cut I think it was the prudent thing to do. Its time we stop giving out tax havens and start repaying our debt something Harper had no interest in doing.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
raab - another thing: JT's campaign promises added up, according to this article, "The party’s financial brass outlined its plan to add a jaw-dropping $146.5 billion in new government spending over the next four years, financed through debt, increased taxes and targeted cuts."
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/07...rs-dont-add-up

Did ya get that - 146 billion in NEW spending - and look at how it is to be financed - "debt, increased taxes and targeted cuts."

You might be getting your layoff notice sooner than you expected
Yea new taxes on those who make over 200K, cuts to things like the TFSA and Income splitting which does next to nothing for a family that makes less then 100k a year. Also how about getting out of the multi-billion dollar F35 deal that Harper wanted. And how will that effect me getting laid off? The Liberals by far have the better economic record over the Cons. Tory times are tough times. Glad they're over!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
I've always considered the TFSA to bit a litmus test of financial gullibility. Why? Encouragement to save your own money with the incentive to gain tax free ROI is somehow not a good thing?

Earnings in a *savings account*?? REALLY??

For most people, your money is better off put in an RSP, so you can realize the tax savings immediately. The only way a TFSA makes sense is if it's a trading account.
Peter, investment guru's will generally tell you RSP's are good to contribute too up until about age 55 - 60 depending on your personal retirement schedule and potential pension incomes (that's what my guy told me, as well as my bro-in-law who is a chartered accountant who does all kinds of that kind of work). That way you use the tax deferral component of them when you are theoretically making good money and can use the tax savings. When you begin to withdraw from the RSP you will pay tax on the money - hopefully at a reduced rate than what the funds would have been taxed at when earned.

The same folks will advise you to invest in TFSA's especially when you get closer to retirement because the tax has already been paid and the income is tax free. Note: they are called tax free savings accounts but that doesn't mean they are tied to low interest savings accounts; in fact the funds in them can be invested in all kinds of ways, thus they can generate significant income. The more that is in them the more they can 'earn. Example: imagine you have $50,000.00 invested in them and they are making 10% ROI. That's $5,000.00 per year. Now double that (you and spouse); now that's $10,000.00 per year. You can leave that in where it continues making you money or you can take just that money out (tax free) and use it as you wish.

Another good strategy is to invest in RRSP's as you are able and use the money (which is your money the government has borrowed from you interest free for the past year ) you get back on your income tax refund to invest in TFSA's (not buy 'toys'). It's worked for us.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know how to say it any more politely than that you are misinformed. the inflation rate hasn't hit 3% per year since 1991.

You say prices have gone up 100%. yes they have... 100% since 1987. They have doubled in 28 years. That is not high inflation.
RIGHT ON.a 250000 dollar house in bc in 2005 is now selling for over a million,not a trick question yes or no,and an acre went from 1000 to 4000 in how much time,please be honest.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:05 PM

What drivel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
The free world has lost its leader. In the absence of a vigorous American foreign policy, Canada's Stephen Harper supplied his own. For the better part of a decade, he energetically championed Western interests. He was serious about fighting terrorism, keen on free trade and prepared to deploy proportionate force in defense of freedom.

His defeat in last week's Canadian general election will be felt far beyond that sparse, chilly country. When other Western leaders fretted about Israel's 2006 Lebanon war, he gave his full backing to the Jewish state. When others dithered over Putin's invasion of Ukraine, he led international condemnation. Obliged to meet Vladimir Putin at a summit meeting, he was admirably curt: "I guess I'll shake your hand, but I have only one thing to say to you: Get out of Ukraine."

Canada, like most countries, partly defines itself with reference to what it isn't; but Harper was uncomplicatedly pro-American and pro-British. In his first overseas speech as prime minister, he told a London audience how glad he was that his was a common-law, Anglosphere nation. As a matter of historical fact, this might not seem especially radical; but, my goodness, what a refreshing break from the line taken by previous Canadian leaders, namely that their country was a happy multiculti fusion of First Peoples and Acadians and Vietnamese boat people.

Why did Harper lose so badly? The Canadian Right got its second-lowest share of the vote since 1968, and can't console itself with the thought that it was beaten by opponents whom it had dragged onto its own ground. Bill Clinton and Tony Blair had to meet their Right-wing rivals half way on many policy issues. But Justin Trudeau, the new Canadian PM, is like a depilated Occupy protester: pro-tax, anti-business, pro-pot, anti-America.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems mystifying. Canada was the best-performing major economy in the world, the only G7 state to come through the downturn without a downturn. It's true that the recent drop in commodity prices caused a slowdown, but the big picture remained positive. Taxes were falling more rapidly than at any time in the nation's history. Crime rates were at a record low. Illegal immigration had been curtailed, with the result that legal immigrants were grateful, patriotic and — unusually — happy to vote for the Right.

It won't do to argue that Canada is a naturally liberal country. Conrad Black used to speak of his countrymen as "English-speaking Scandinavians." In fact, both Scandinavia and Canada went through a teenage socialist phase from the late 1960s to the late 1990s, and then snapped out of it.

Until Pierre Trudeau, the new PM's father, Canadian immigration policy was based on keeping combined provincial and federal taxes below the U.S. equivalent, so as to compensate for the rougher climate. Before the goody-two-shoes, pantywaist, demilitarized Canada of the 1970s, Canadians were a famously tough people. Eisenhower used to remark (in private, obviously) that, man for man, they were the finest soldiers under his command. Harper believed, with justice, that he was returning his countrymen to their traditions.

What, then, was the problem? Put simply, Canadians had tired of their leader. Leftists, naturally, called him a hater, a Tea Partier, an Islamophobe, yada yada. But, more significantly, Tory pundits would remark on his "coldness" and "remoteness." A typical column in the right-of-center National Post — the newspaper founded by Conrad Black — blamed the defeat on "the nastiness of Tory politics under Harper, the mindless partisanship, the throttling of backbench MPs."

I'm not sure this is fair. In my scant dealings with Stephen Harper, I found him courteous but shy — a common Canadian combination. But it was widely believed. Not for the first time, a great leader, with immense achievements, stayed on for one election too many. It happened to Australia's John Howard, even to Britain's Margaret Thatcher.

Prolonged executive power is more than most politicians can take. Even the best and wisest leaders — and they don't come better or wiser than the two I've just mentioned — eventually lose touch. The pressures of modern government, the sleeplessness, the security cordons, the constant international summits make it hard to remain grounded.

Perhaps George Washington's single greatest act, in a lifetime of great acts, was to impose a term limit on himself, and thus to set the standard for all his successors (except the narcissistic FDR). Term limits are the surest way to stop your leaders from becoming power-crazed.

Sadly, term limits are no defense against the emergence of political dynasties — a nasty habit that has now spread from the United States to its northern neighbor. That, though, is another story.

Dan Hannan is a British Conservative MEP.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/th...q-MSi.facebook

and I laughed....
Old 10-28-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
RIGHT ON.a 250000 dollar house in bc in 2005 is now selling for over a million,not a trick question yes or no,and an acre went from 1000 to 4000 in how much time,please be honest.
My son was making $8,000 a year five years ago. He is now making about $100,000 a year. Doesn't that show that wages and salaries have exploded and Canadian workers are doing better than ever before?

Look, my son was in university 5 years go. You can cherry pick individual situations and try to pass them off as describing the entire economy. I have provided Stats Can numbers with regard to cost of living average increases for the entire country. Accurate statistics. Do you have statistics that show that the average home and property price in Canada has quadrupled since 2005?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
My son was making $8,000 a year five years ago. He is now making about $100,000 a year. Doesn't that show that wages and salaries have exploded and Canadian workers are doing better than ever before?

Look, my son was in university 5 years go. You can cherry pick individual situations and try to pass them off as describing the entire economy. I have provided Stats Can numbers with regard to cost of living average increases for the entire country. Accurate statistics. Do you have statistics that show that the average home and property price in Canada has quadrupled since 2005?
So you can't answer a simple increase in house prices,i give up.Plus I said that some homes in bc went from 250000 to 1 million,not all of Canada.

Last edited by JD848; 10-28-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:37 PM

raab, a simple question: How is JT planning to pay down the debt?