Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
"probable" uh huh. NOT buying it WB. Cows are not any part of SRD purview and will be the vast majority of the composting project so if it is such a great low cost idea why doesn't SRD just wait for Ag and Trans to fire up and fund the project and then piggy back in? Better question is why is the AFGA looking to help out the Alberta Beef Assoc after the stab in the heart over their attempts to introduce draconian gun controls?
Everyone is entitled to heir opinions and such, and I'm not going to change that or try.

I think what my husband also forgot to mention or spend some time on in his lengthy response is also the safety aspect of not only the ranchers and producers, but all the other people tha use these areas outside of the agriculture aspect.

If you take the area southwest Cardston, for example, you have larger ranches, small and moderate-sized farms, and many acreages, not to forget about the Poll Haven Community Pasture which is Crown Lands and used by many people for a variety of land uses. Havin these bone yards and attractants bringing bears into these areas and possibly keeping them here for a longer period of time than just have them pass through as in the past without a constant food source is the problem. It should not just be SRD helping to pay for these costs, but other jurisdictions and organizations as well. Right now, because the bear problem is a safety concern, SRD (Fish and Wildlife) has decided to step up to the plate and help with some of the problems. Why, well if they didn't there is always the potential for the producer to take matters into their own hands which is what SRD wants to avoid.

So having a new food source at the end of the bears hibernation time is the issue. Keeping the bears in the area and teaching them behaviors that are hard to be in-taught. It is a bear management issue now with the producers also learning new behaviors (not dumping carcasses into these areas anymore) as well. SRD has not forked out a ton of money in this program to date. The funding has been raised through different non-government grants, non-profit groups and the municipalities.

The answer to the question of why should AFGA support initiatives like is simple. It's a safety issue for fisherman, hunters, and other recreational users in these areas that the bears are frequenting. They are coming closer to yardsites and bus stops and it's only a matter of time before an incident occurs. I say an incident because accidents are preventable and that's what his is doing is trying to prevent an injury. AFGA is one of the organizations asked to support this initiative and has little to do wih Alberta Beef Producers. ABP were asked as well. The more organizations and agencies we can get on side with initiatives like this makes government agencies change legislation and policy.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Also, why not wait for another department? Well not sure if you have worked with government much but I'm sure it would be faster, simpler and more proactive to do it this way. SRD is willing to work with those involved and might as well get the ball rolling. Otherwise we could be waiting forever.

The wildlife will be a part as well if that's where the problems lie. I know down south many wildlife carcasses picked up on highways are taken to Lethbridge College for their Fish and Wildlife program and also by SRD for their bear intercept feeding program which is collection of carcasses and dropping them off at high elevations inthe spring to keep them out of cattle country a little longer and less hungry.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsweg View Post
Everyone is entitled to heir opinions and such, and I'm not going to change that or try.
That's good! Only a farmer could create a hazard and have someone else pay to take care of it. If my business was causing a public danger I would be in line for fines and/or court action from the authorities. Not here it seems, make a mess and someone else will clean it up.
SRD has much more important things to do.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 PM

Would someboby please bann twytter from this site and also from hunting in this province. I have had many quads ruin my hunt after I walked miles into a spot. I do like my quad for retrieving my game but would hate to see a guy go by me at daylight on a quad when I just walked 2 miles to get there quietly. Afternoon hunts are often spoiled for this very reason.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
That's good! Only a farmer could create a hazard and have someone else pay to take care of it. If my business was causing a public danger I would be in line for fines and/or court action from the authorities. Not here it seems, make a mess and someone else will clean it up.
SRD has much more important things to do.
You can't say that farmers are the only ones that can have things both ways .. Just look at the government and their grizzly policies .. How can you not allow a hunt { too few bears } yet close zones to baitng for blackies because there are too many grizz there .. LOL .. Talk about a joke !
Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Banned

What is the purpose of making pistols/revolvers legal to hunt with........except for the coolness factour? I'm thinking that a bowhunter going after a wounded bear would be a good reason to have one but it appears to me that this is a "get the foot into the door" type resolution. I'm undecided on this one until someone can convince me that it's good for our hunting.

WILDLIFE should be the concern to AFGA and not farmed animals. The wildlife killed on the highways around here are effectively disposed of by our Alberta highway fellas and NOT the SRD. Why would SRD even care about the composting of dead cattle and slaughterhouse byproducts?

All BS aside..........that resolution appears to be nothing more than a way to waste the SRD budget in order to subsidize Alberta Beef Producers.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 PM

the pistol hunting would cause the laws on resricted handguns to relax a bit so we could take our 9mm our gopher hunting if we so choose or to be able to keep a 22 in our pack for a finishing shot so as not to blow another 300 win mag hole in a deer unnneccesarily... if you think about it there are alot of reasons to carry one in the wild besides gunning down your deer with a 357 mag out of your treestand, squirrel hunting? As long as its not abused and long shots are made on animals too big for the gun(9mm on an elk at 300 yrds) then im all for it. why shouldn't we allow it?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
the pistol hunting would cause the laws on resricted handguns to relax a bit ?
Actually not....certain antique pistols are perfectly legal to carry right now but provincial law prevents their use for hunting.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Actually not....certain antique pistols are perfectly legal to carry right now but provincial law prevents their use for hunting.
what % of all handguns out there are legal to carry around without special permits (disabled hunters, out in the bush workers permit, law enforcement)? its gotta be under 1% of total handguns out there...

What i was getting at was that I hate how i cant get a handgun right now unless i fork out an average of $300 a year for a range membership just so I can own one... that law would have to change if handguns were permitted for hunting. And the fight to ban handguns all together by certain political groups would pretty much be over if we gained the right to use them for hunting. I see it as a gateway law to start winning the fight for the right to bear arms again.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:38 PM
sheephunter

Not many but the point is that it's provincial law and not federal law that prohibits their use. That's why it's an important resolution that the province alone can deal with. Yes, you are right on track that it's a stepping stone for sure but right now the province could help pave the way with no federal involvement.