Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Coach and tendy but both fell short, like an oiler fan here, maybe next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting thing to say when one team is still playing, and the other is getting ready for the back nine on the course. Courtesy of the team thats still playing.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubz337 View Post
Interesting thing to say when one team is still playing, and the other is getting ready for the back nine on the course. Courtesy of the team thats still playing.
He doesn’t make sense in a lot of his posting. Probably doesn’t even realize how many cups the organization has since it’s inception.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

You mean teams, congested on the links, shotgun start, four ball best ball to get things moving along waiting for the Oilers to show up soon enough.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-24-2024, 11:34 PM

It’s seems like maybe at one time he might of bin a flames fan then for some crazy reason flip to cheer for the canucks. You would think bein a northeast albertan he would atleast cheer for a good team like the oilers, but back in the 80s when Edmonton stomped the flames and extinguished them multiple times he switch to the canucks in the 90s and still can’t figure out what team to cheer for. Lol no hard feelings cat love the direction of the canucks there kinda where the oilers were 3 years ago so I’m sure with a few more puzzle pieces the canucks soon will have a very competitive team and have a playoff success.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
You mean teams, congested on the links, shotgun start, four ball best ball to get things moving along waiting for the Oilers to show up soon enough.

Thats right, you are grouped in with all the other trash teams not playing anymore. How does it feel that the chick in your Canucks picture there has probably gone wrinkly, saggy and grey since then, with still no Cup for your poverty franchise?
Old 05-25-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
It’s seems like maybe at one time he might of bin a flames fan then for some crazy reason flip to cheer for the canucks. You would think bein a northeast albertan he would atleast cheer for a good team like the oilers, but back in the 80s when Edmonton stomped the flames and extinguished them multiple times he switch to the canucks in the 90s and still can’t figure out what team to cheer for. Lol no hard feelings cat love the direction of the canucks there kinda where the oilers were 3 years ago so I’m sure with a few more puzzle pieces the canucks soon will have a very competitive team and have a playoff success.

Never been a flames fan but good speculation and some think oilers are canadas team, now that makes no sense at all but some buy into it.

Like I mentioned hate Dallas and dislike oilers but one must move on to be dumped in the finals.

No hard feelings at all, use to watching Canucks at the golf course but still hoping for just one cup, just

Old 05-25-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Thats right, you are grouped in with all the other trash teams not playing anymore. How does it feel that the chick in your Canucks picture there has probably gone wrinkly, saggy and grey since then, with still no Cup for your poverty franchise?

She is aging just nicely!

Gotta be good at something when the team packs it in.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

There should be a system in place to measure the quality of chance. On one goal a player was left all alone in front and Skinner had no chance. On the other the Oiler's gave it up right in front, again, creating a 2 on 0 for no apparent reason and again little chance for Skinner. Pretty hard to keep a decent save percentage with plays like that in front of you. Skinner was outstanding IMO.
The Cult of Hockey guys (Staples, McCurdy, Leavins) pretty much do that. They measure what they call 'Grade A' chances, etc., how many of those the goalie stopped, how many he had no chance against, etc. Then come up with a grade for the goalie. Same detailed analysis on other players. They watch a lot of hockey and break things down quite a bit with stats.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
and some think oilers are canadas team, now that makes no sense at all but some buy into it.

When the team in question is the last Canadian team standing and has the most Canadian boys on a single team in the last 40 years, it makes sense to most peaple(probably 99.9% of people) to refer to them as Canadas team……………get it now?
Old 05-25-2024, 11:04 AM

If we pick up this game in Dallas tonight it would be something else coming home. I think Mcdavid is gonna rip tonight!
Old 05-25-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
When the team in question is the last Canadian team standing and has the most Canadian boys on a single team in the last 40 years, it makes sense to most peaple(probably 99.9% of people) to refer to them as Canadas team……………get it now?
Actually Montreal has the most Canadian players but they are golfing too....now your 99.9% is a wee off even if only taking into consideration Alberta's hockey fans now toss in all of Canada and your numbers drops even more...Canada's team is playing right now on TSN...and down 2-0

I would refer to the Oilers as last Canadian team standing....

Old 05-25-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Actually Montreal has the most Canadian players but they are golfing too....now your 99.9% is a wee off even if only taking into consideration Alberta's hockey fans now toss in all of Canada and your numbers drops even more...Canada's team is playing right now on TSN...and down 2-0

I would refer to the Oilers as last Canadian team standing....
I count 19 oilers and 15 Montreal.
The 99.9% was the people able to comprehend what is being said…..lol
Edit I read wrong year. lol
Yes Montreal had more but they are gone. But any way you look at it, Edmonton is Canadas NHL team now!

Last edited by Talking moose; 05-25-2024 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I count 19 oilers and 15 Montreal.
The 99.9% was the people able to comprehend what is being said…..lol
Edit I read wrong year. lol
Yes Montreal had more but they are gone. But any way you look at it, Edmonton is Canadas team now!
Ohhh the dreaded but...

But will they be able to overcome regional loyalties and garner support from Canadians across the country?

Nope, no way, notta gonna happen, last Canadian team standing in the NHL playoffs doesn't make them a national team no matter how you try to build them up....like the effort though

Old 05-25-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Ohhh the dreaded but...

But will they be able to overcome regional loyalties and garner support from Canadians across the country?

Nope, no way, notta gonna happen, last Canadian team standing in the NHL playoffs doesn't make them a national team no matter how you try to build them up....like the effort though
Like I said and last time I say it…… oilers are Canadas nhl team right now. They have by far, more support, than any other Canadian team left in the playoffs.
Surely you can’t dispute that.
I’m out. (Until Canadas team plays tonight)
Old 05-25-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Like I said and last time I say it…… oilers are Canadas nhl team right now. They have by far, more support, than any other Canadian team left in the playoffs.
Surely you can’t dispute that.
I’m out. (Until Canadas team plays tonight)

Agree seeing they are the only Canadian team left, so they get some support mostly oilers fans unless they poop the bed then the fan base will turn on them like usual.

Canadas team lost today to the Swedes in a shootout so now play for a bronze medal.

Old 05-25-2024, 01:57 PM

Just having a chat with some fellow season ticket holders, if by some miracle we sweep. I would have tickets to game 4 of the final. So if they could go ahead and just win 6 straight....
Old 05-25-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Agree seeing they are the only Canadian team left, so they get some support mostly oilers fans unless they poop the bed then the fan base will turn on them like usual.

Canadas team lost today to the Swedes in a shootout so now play for a bronze medal.

Btw. I live in bc. Friends, neighbors, workmates, people in stores, etc.. are majority nuck fans.
Almost all of them are oiler fans right now.
So once again, lots of support coming from your nuck province.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Btw. I live in bc. Friends, neighbors, workmates, people in stores, etc.. are majority nuck fans.
Almost all of them are oiler fans right now.
So once again, lots of support coming from your nuck province.

They are being nice to you!
Which is good to see cuz that’s how Canuck fans roll!!!
Ohhh don’t go to a hockey game when Toronto is in town…..50% wear the leafs jerseys!
Now that’s just sick.

Dallas wins tonight and Benn destroys McJesus with an open ice hit.

Old 05-25-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
They are being nice to you!
Which is good to see cuz that’s how Canuck fans roll!!!
Ohhh don’t go to a hockey game when Toronto is in town…..50% wear the leafs jerseys!
Now that’s just sick.

Dallas wins tonight and Benn destroys McJesus with an open ice hit.

All that deer pepperoni you have ate on the ice has made you delusional!!!!!
Old 05-25-2024, 06:14 PM

I thought Canada's Team was whoever was playing the Oilers.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:06 PM

^ Lol. The way Dallas played so far, we are looking at a sweep.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
She is aging just nicely!

Gotta be good at something when the team packs it in.

>>>>
Old 05-25-2024, 08:48 PM

Those Stars are amazing!
Old 05-25-2024, 08:54 PM

Default Like a gopher ….

skinner stands up to take a peek and bang Dallas scored …
Old 05-25-2024, 08:55 PM

Pulling the goalie against the Stars in this game is probably the stupidest thing you could do......
Old 05-25-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
skinner stands up to take a peek and bang Dallas scored …
For sure. He also rolls around a lot and bad rebounds. Oilers are doing well to get on top of those and keep the Stars players away from the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Pulling the goalie against the Stars in this game is probably the stupidest thing you could do......
I wasn’t done telling my daughter that Dallas was going to score an empty netter before they scored it, lol.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:

I used to play hockey, this golf thingy looks interesting

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-25-2024, 10:40 PM

Quote:
>>
Really? Down a goal with a couple minutes to go in the 3rd, that's usually what teams do, no matter who the opponent. You either score with the man advantage, (which is a pretty good bet based on the Oilers having the best PP & PK in these playoffs) get scored on or no more goals come and you lose. We bet and lost. On to game 3
Old 05-25-2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Lol
Old 05-26-2024, 12:12 AM

I don’t think it was stupid, rather inevitable. But, like I said, the way the third period was played, it was obvious that Dallas would score another once the net is empty. What I said above was a true story. It would work out better if the play was as it was in the first, but it was no longer the case. Regardless, I don’t see it as a choice.

Leaving Dallas for home with one loss is a win on its own. I thought they’d be down two nothing now, win a game at home, and end the series at Dallas. Plus Skinner was solid in game 1 and good enough today - while stats, such as save percentage, say he did pretty good today too, watching him play said otherwise. I was talking about it to my daughters who don’t particularly care about hockey (the 6-year old said she is cheering for Dallas because she likes their jerseys better, lol, and didn’t care for my (Moose’s) arguments about the team from Alberta and Canada and whatnot). Even they could see and comment on the difference between Oettinger acting in the net and Skinner in his. Skinner looks like a rookie: nervous, jumps around, leaves the net when he really shouldn’t, has hard time getting back in position, bad rebounds all over the place, and so on. The first goal by Dallas looked like Skinner wasn’t even in there. Oettinger is just solid in the net for the most part. What Edmonton did great in the past two or so games is preventing the other team from being able to pass the pack to the other side because Skinner seems to have a problem sliding across to make a save. This also resulted with Stars shooting straight into Skinner’s body rather than the net.

Overall, I’d say the Oilers played two solid games (the first was near perfect, imo). Third will have to be better because my guess is Skinner’s performance is not going to be as good. We shall see.