Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Bought my Husky 55 Rancher new in Sept 2006, besides chains/bars, only ever changed out pull
cord once..no other issues, tons of cords cut, a bit heavy @13lbs, but Rock Solid.
Ditto. Had to change the bar oil pump once when it started leaking while stored but other than that mines been great. Cut 4 +/- cord a year with it for the last 9 years
Old 05-10-2022, 11:21 AM

The Stihl 170's and 180's are on sale now at Timberland supply. I just picked up a 170 with case for less than $300.00. I wanted a smaller and lighter saw. It should be perfect for what i need.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:17 PM

Exact same thing happened to me as the other guy who had to go back for instructions on how to start a chainsaw... Back for the instructions! Floods easy... lol. Couple turns around the block & presto. Operator issue. Problem solved. Years ago I ran a Big Shindaiwa 757 with a bars up to 36". Weight didn't bother me then. Replaced with a much lighter user friendly gentlemans saw. Small Stihl. Somebody said they were good + some of'em are made in the good ol US of A. They got a plant over in China as well. Same QC apparently. lol. I believe it actually. So I got a couple pics here I'm eager to post to show power and size. Also for the fellas who don't cut at all. Pretty neat to see probably. MS250 with an 18" bar. Any bigger than this tree here and you're pushing it for power. I should have had a 20" bar for this one. Chain's so razor sharp it made quick work of it. Feels good in the hands, Nice'n light, hungry enough for me. Perfect for a quad. I don't know if a MS170 would handle one half that size ?? It's fun I must say. Great exercise Sometimes size matters ... Any bigger & your into the pro stuff I think ??

PS: the Middle picture is a before and after. It's shopped. Same tree. Just saying.

Cheers Fellas bye for now ...
Old 05-10-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
Exact same thing happened to me as the other guy who had to go back for instructions on how to start a chainsaw... Back for the instructions! Floods easy... lol. Couple turns around the block & presto. Operator issue. Problem solved. Years ago I ran a Big Shindaiwa 757 with a bars up to 36". Weight didn't bother me then. Replaced with a much lighter user friendly gentlemans saw. Small Stihl. Somebody said they were good + some of'em are made in the good ol US of A. They got a plant over in China as well. Same QC apparently. lol. I believe it actually. So I got a couple pics here I'm eager to post to show power and size. Also for the fellas who don't cut at all. Pretty neat to see probably. MS250 with an 18" bar. Any bigger than this tree here and you're pushing it for power. I should have had a 20" bar for this one. Chain's so razor sharp it made quick work of it. Feels good in the hands, Nice'n light, hungry enough for me. Perfect for a quad. I don't know if a MS170 would handle one half that size ?? It's fun I must say. Great exercise Sometimes size matters ... Any bigger & your into the pro stuff I think ??

PS: the Middle picture is a before and after. It's shopped. Same tree. Just saying.

Cheers Fellas bye for now ...
You can get 300 series farm and ranch saws. They're heavy and clunky. The 250 isn't bad. I've just found one to be a dog vs the 241 I have.