Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 PM

Two broke dogs and three pups with two more on the way later this winter. I've been one busy guy this summer. (Guys that don't have dogs or at least help out don't have a clue)I almost forget what the inside of my house looks like in the daytime. Never taken a cat myself. So I couldn't call myself a cat killer. I love watching the dogs work. Makes me all tingly when you hear the tree bay in the distance!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 PM

Here lies the problem imo with the hound hunting in Alberta. What are we fighting over, the price of a cougar hunt? You houndsmen out there we are not going to get any more opportunities weather you like it or not without the help of all alberta sportsmen. Sheepguide your fighting with bambi and instead of inviting him on a hunt and making a ali your making a enemy for all of us. Our season is a joke for cats and that will never change until we all pull together. Also you sportsmen that seem to have a concern about the price of a hunt, the costs with raising hounds and training them and the gps systems and everything else, nobody is getting rich, at best its pays for some food and some gas. I am going to change my approach and start shedding a positive light on houndsmen. I have pm bambi and will gladly take him out at no charge for a lion. I have never harvested a lion but have had them shot out to my dogs by friends and I always tried to refrain from shooting lions to keep our seasons open, but in the last few years with the killing of small females and the quick closing of zones I am going to help slam the zones quicker. Then I will pay my $320 in Montana and hunt till april 15 on a training permit like I do every other year.

Regards Bob
Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick hounder View Post
Here lies the problem imo with the hound hunting in Alberta. What are we fighting over, the price of a cougar hunt? You houndsmen out there we are not going to get any more opportunities weather you like it or not without the help of all alberta sportsmen. Sheepguide your fighting with bambi and instead of inviting him on a hunt and making a ali your making a enemy for all of us. Our season is a joke for cats and that will never change until we all pull together. Also you sportsmen that seem to have a concern about the price of a hunt, the costs with raising hounds and training them and the gps systems and everything else, nobody is getting rich, at best its pays for some food and some gas. I am going to change my approach and start shedding a positive light on houndsmen. I have pm bambi and will gladly take him out at no charge for a lion. I have never harvested a lion but have had them shot out to my dogs by friends and I always tried to refrain from shooting lions to keep our seasons open, but in the last few years with the killing of small females and the quick closing of zones I am going to help slam the zones quicker. Then I will pay my $320 in Montana and hunt till april 15 on a training permit like I do every other year.

Regards Bob
Big thumbs up to the first part of this, it's ruff enough for houndsmen as it is with out being at each other's throat over every petty things.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:

Regards Bob
You know what Bob I have zero respect for a guy like Bambi that jumps on a Rookie houndsman for illegal guiding after he himself sucked up to him trying to get a free hunt out of him. Cupped has put alot of time into his dogs and for some guy to bash him for illegal guiding because that houndsman wouldnt give him what he wanted. Bambi has a hate on for another houndsman as well for the same reason. He has earned a reputation as a cheap guy that if he doesnt get his way then he hates you and discredits you. So Bob if thats the type of guy you want to take hunting then giver. Im sure you both will get along perfect. You may hand out free hunts to everyguy that asks but not everyone does!
Hope you have a great season!!! Good on you for slamming the zones closed quicker here! Sounds like a great solution to the issues! And then Im sure you will clean house in the states too.
See you at the ATHA meetings. Maybe we can discuss this further there!!!
Darcy
Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
Sheep guide quick question no disrespect heck you all can answer my question.
Are you boys Cat Killers or Houndsman?
Ive be been at this game as longtime now and believe me i have let many a good Tom go to run another day, but the fire to hunt for me comes from picking the right pup from proven lines and training it to be a Cat hunting machine, trash free soid dependable hounds.
Dam it you guys never talk about all the work someone spent feeding and training 4 to 6 good dogs.
How many trained dogs do you have SG
I got 3 finished lion hounds,
Bluedog
Like ive always stated im far from a houndsman. Not even in their league. I go every year for free spending all my own fuel money and such to help some of Albertas best houndsman work their dogs. Helping run pups and doing anything I can to help. Why? Because I love it but my schedule doesnt let me spend enough time with dogs to have a few that im training or even running enough to be fair to the dogs. Good on you for the training you do.
I have one yr old pup is all I have. And its looking like he is officially the wifes house dog LOL so I may have no cat hounds.

But you know what Bluedog I guarantee you are no more passionate about hound running or cat hunting than I am or many other guys that dont have dogs its just you have the time for the dogs! I envy that.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
Two broke dogs and three pups with two more on the way later this winter. I've been one busy guy this summer. (Guys that don't have dogs or at least help out don't have a clue)I almost forget what the inside of my house looks like in the daytime. Never taken a cat myself. So I couldn't call myself a cat killer. I love watching the dogs work. Makes me all tingly when you hear the tree bay in the distance!
Cupped welcome to the madness, its a great lifestyle and one that has given me hrs and hrs on end with my 2 sons doing what we all love.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Cupped welcome to the madness, its a great lifestyle and one that has given me hrs and hrs on end with my 2 sons doing what we all love.
Thanks for the welcome! I don't feel I can call myself a houndsman yet. But the passion is there for sure. I have never in my life spent as little time in the field so far as I have this year. These critters take an immense amount of time and effort to train, condition, and keep. Anyone who said I couldn't do it is eating their words right now hopefully. I have a very soft spot for those hounds an can't wait for the next month of road warrior time to fly by. That first cat in the tree will make it all worth it. All the time, effort, frustration and sacrifice is not understood by far too many people. There are enough out there for everyone to enjoy this hobby/lifestyle/sport and try our damnedest to get along. Leave the ladies in the trees boys! Good luck to all that do a month from today!!!!!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
......heck you all can answer my question.
Are you boys Cat Killers or Houndsman?
Ive be been at this game as longtime now and believe me i have let many a good Tom go to run another day, but the fire to hunt for me comes from picking the right pup from proven lines and training it to be a Cat hunting machine, trash free soid dependable hounds.
Dam it you guys never talk about all the work someone spent feeding and training 4 to 6 good dogs.
How many trained dogs do you have ...
I got 3 finished lion hounds,
Bluedog
I consider myself to be a Houndsman.

Been chasing lions over a decade now.

All treed lions have been released to run again.

Only two lions taken and both were bay ups.

Trained seven walker hounds, bred and raised up two litters of pups.

longest race to date was approximately 30 k.

I don't box them in.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Default a few pics of my cat

see if it works this time.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 PM

There we go. Here is the track of my last years cat. had a bit of snow in it. I would love to go again just to re live the experience again. one of the Coolest things I have ever done!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
....A 20min sled or truck run can save a dog half a day or more running....
Depends on the track speed of your hounds or lack there of....
Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Well boys. The countdown has officially gone from months to DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 PM

Would like to know the story behind the busted teeth, I can only imagine! pretty cool I think. I saw a post not that long ago about one of the guys picking up his elk euro mount, and it had a busted canine in the face , stuck in the skull. I figure maybe he had the same problems in his travels. lol

This last picture is the first cat that we chased. The track was really fresh, and we had traveled a long ways before we decided what the heck lets give it a go. She was an old looking cat, missing ears. Must have been born in the winter we figured. This was almost as cool as taking the cat that I did. I bet she has also caused a few nightmares in her days! They are awesome animals man! I will someday go again. I know one things for sure, I can't help going down a road/trail without hitting the brakes and having a look at what might be a cougar track, and I don't even have dogs lol.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Holy, what did the skull go on that old boy
Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 PM

Default Cat season

Give it up Nait if you can box a cat in and cut your dogs leg time down why wouldn't you? You houndsmen you all you do is bash everyone else I guess you are the expert you should right a book.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson340 View Post
Holy, what did the skull go on that old boy
Official was 15 7/16 B\C
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush monkey View Post
Official was 15 7/16 B\C
Geezuz
Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
Give it up Nait if you can box a cat in and cut your dogs leg time down why wouldn't you? You houndsmen you all you do is bash everyone else I guess you are the expert you should right a book.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 PM

Thumbs down Ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
I consider myself to be a Houndsman.

Been chasing lions over a decade now.

All treed lions have been released to run again.

Only two lions taken and both were bay ups.

Trained seven walker hounds, bred and raised up two litters of pups.

longest race to date was approximately 30 k.

I don't box them in.
Priceless your the only guy I know that has said I consider myself a Houndsmen ... That's for the real Houndsmen to call you and yes I KNOW REAL HOUNDSMEN but you just keep telling yourself that this thread was to get everyone pumped about dec 1 but u have to try and be a hero
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Geezuz
I know man, that was probably the best day of my life lol.. other than of course, you know..... the crap you would tell your family to make them feel as important! jk. I know a guy on here that claims he can get it done, he doesn't get off the highway much though, lol!!, but maybe if he needs a hand sometime he will let me help out this winter, or down the road sometime.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush monkey View Post
I know man, that was probably the best day of my life lol.. other than of course, you know..... the crap you would tell your family to make them feel as important! jk. I know a guy on here that claims he can get it done, he doesn't get off the highway much though, lol!!, but maybe if he needs a hand sometime he will let me help out this winter, or down the road sometime.
yaya that's a cat of a lifetime bud. Mine went 14 11/16" I am pretty happy with that for now! There a lot of guys on here that claim they can get it done! I am hoping to get on a few cats this winter, I just want to go and help out, I had to much fun on my hunt and few buddies hunts, cant wait for December.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Talking

What's a hounds men
Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Oh a cat hunter I get it ----
Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7brent View Post
What's a hounds men
lol. I know, I was wondering if I could get a reply, but im not sure. lol maybe ill get a bite here yet.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM

Treed this one twice early in the season. It took several hours for me to reach the tree in knee deep snow and as I approached my shouts of encouragement caused the hound to come to me, giving the cat an op to bail and escape. The hounds picked up the trail and treed it again, half a mile closer to the truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cougar.jpg (72.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
yaya that's a cat of a lifetime bud. Mine went 14 11/16" I am pretty happy with that for now! There a lot of guys on here that claim they can get it done! I am hoping to get on a few cats this winter, I just want to go and help out, I had to much fun on my hunt and few buddies hunts, cant wait for December.
Thanks man! your cat is awesome. I recall seeing your pics from last winter threads before I went out. had me jacked!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Here is an old cat. We got this guy last season. Wasnt gunna have many more days this old guy. Long hard run. Still had a collar on from the past study that was broken from fighting with other cats so couldnt be removed. Jumped on us once. Long hard run in some steep country.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 PM

Ya that's an old bastard Darcy!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Banned

My pup and some up and comers!!!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Here is an old cat. We got this guy last season. Wasnt gunna have many more days this old guy. Long hard run. Still had a collar on from the past study that was broken from fighting with other cats so couldnt be removed. Jumped on us once. Long hard run in some steep country.

Can you say dinosaur!!