Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Wrong...Just like the Brooks meat plant, how many of these workers car pool everyday and live together in one household...10? maybe more...

This is the issue at Cargil...Exact same scenerio....
Ahhhh I didn’t realize their was a certain ethnic demographic at that plant. Ok I get it...
Old 04-21-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I want to wait a few weeks on Sweden. They are still social distancing voluntarily and monitoring by the government has shown a dramatic drop in activity. They, like us, wish they had been on top if the extended care homes.

As for Italy...figures can lie and liars can figure. Pick your media poison so to speak.

One thing for sure if Sweden comes out of this better than other Western Countries, the governments will have lots of 'splaining to do.
News said Germany is a country that Canada needs to follow. Seems like they know what they are unlike the USA. What a disgrace down there.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:25 PM

I think every park should buy one of those 15 minute testers and check everyone that comes into the park.
Then when your in the park, you are in lockdown but you got the whole park to play.
No one else is allowed in unless they are staying a minimum of 5 days.
Oh yeah and free firewood.

I thought I’d float this idea past Mr. Nixon.
Heck, I’ll even run a park.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
News said Germany is a country that Canada needs to follow. Seems like they know what they are unlike the USA. What a disgrace down there.
Yup south of the 49th they are really letting this pandemic get out of hand. They seem to be a lot more loose down there. Beaches are packed, churches are still congregating and lately large group protests are at it...
Old 04-21-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Also, survivors have been reinfected so that wrecks the herd immunity hopes.
A vaccine will end the transmission cycle.
If you can get reinfected, a vaccine isn't going to stop the transmission cycle.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
My advice to all is to do some research, especially on what various countries are doing differently and how it’s affecting them. Look into Sweden a bit. Seen a stat on Italy the other day, showing deaths from January-March by year for last 5 years. Might shock some of y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So true........and the fact so many current Italian Covid deaths had at least two or more pre-existing co-morbidities. What are Alberta's stats?? There has literally been 3 deaths due to people under the age of 60 attributed to this since the start.

One of whom was also had severe asthmatic co-morbidity. I'll assume the other two were also immuno-compromised.

Seven US states neverwent into lockdown.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 04-22-2020, 08:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well new cases and a few deaths over the last 24hrs in the current situation we are in....imagine if we got back to semi normal or normal because we are a first world nation with a boat load of privileges....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-22-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well new cases and a few deaths over the last 24hrs in the current situation we are in....imagine if we got back to semi normal or normal because we are a first world nation with a boat load of privileges....

I'm imagining it...... On average, approx. 74 people die in Alberta everyday, yesterday, 76 died. ICU cased peaked over 3 weeks ago in Alberta, hospitals are not being overrun, the majority of fatalities are in long term care homes, etc. If it's about lives, we need to start being much, much more diligent at long term care facilities, not fining people for rollerblading or exercising in a park.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If you can get reinfected, a vaccine isn't going to stop the transmission cycle.
I don't think people are getting reinforced, seems to be a case of faulty tests. So many of the tests they had early on were faulty that those results are not reliable.

Seems to be that this thing is most dangerous to older people and those with other health issues. Younger/healthier people are handling it fine for the most part.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:32 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
I don't think people are getting reinforced, seems to be a case of faulty tests. So many of the tests they had early on were faulty that those results are not reliable.

Seems to be that this thing is most dangerous to older people and those with other health issues. Younger/healthier people are handling it fine for the most part
We have been over this literally countless times. So what is your point?

To me it reads as 'pfffft who cares, they are old I am not'.

Younger/healthier people are all that matter?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-22-2020, 09:41 AM

I would sure hate to be on a road trip with some of you guys. “ are we there yet , I gotta go to the bathroom , this is boring, are we there yet , how much longer. 😩
Old 04-22-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Seems to be that this thing is most dangerous to older people and those with other health issues. Younger/healthier people are handling it fine for the most part.
I see them and their point and shoot thermometers at work and shake my head. Those things can be as much as 10 deg. out, a world of difference if you're looking for a sightly elevated temp.

I see the Panther river one is closed, not Provincial, so I thought there might be a picnic option, looks like there is till a couple of feet of snow though.

Grizz
Old 04-22-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We have been over this literally countless times. So what is your point?

To me it reads as 'pfffft who cares, they are old I am not'.

Younger/healthier people are all that matter?
The point is that if you are older/sick, you should probably be extra careful. If you are younger and healthy, you probably don't need to be in a panic. The fact is life goes on, and must go on, so its probably best to figure out how we do that. I don't care about old people any more or less than young people-they are all young people. I'm seeing a lot of older,financially stable folks ranting that the young people don't care about the safety of others. That's not necessarily true, these younger folks often need an income a whole lot more than some of the older crowd. And,since they are much less vulnerable to this virus, I'm ok with that.

I'm not old,but not young anymore either, and there's a couple reasons why this thing could end me if I get it. Life is dangerous, and the more freedom you have the more dangerous it is. I look at the numbers, make my decisions and take my chances. I don't listen to "news" that speculates on what "could" happen and what we "might" see, it's mostly fear mongering from what I've seen.

The fact remains that a very low percentage of people are dying of this, and an increasing number seem to be either asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. I'm still going to work and do the things I need to do, and hopefully it'll be a little longer before I join the long lines waiting on their government handouts due to our destroyed economy.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
The point is that if you are older/sick, you should probably be extra careful. If you are younger and healthy, you probably don't need to be in a panic. The fact is life goes on, and must go on, so its probably best to figure out how we do that. I don't care about old people any more or less than young people-they are all young people. I'm seeing a lot of older,financially stable folks ranting that the young people don't care about the safety of others. That's not necessarily true, these younger folks often need an income a whole lot more than some of the older crowd. And,since they are much less vulnerable to this virus, I'm ok with that.

I'm not old,but not young anymore either, and there's a couple reasons why this thing could end me if I get it. Life is dangerous, and the more freedom you have the more dangerous it is. I look at the numbers, make my decisions and take my chances. I don't listen to "news" that speculates on what "could" happen and what we "might" see, it's mostly fear mongering from what I've seen.

The fact remains that a very low percentage of people are dying of this, and an increasing number seem to be either asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. I'm still going to work and do the things I need to do, and hopefully it'll be a little longer before I join the long lines waiting on their government handouts due to our destroyed economy.

Ah, the Invulnerability of Youth.

Grizz
Old 04-22-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I want to wait a few weeks on Sweden. They are still social distancing voluntarily and monitoring by the government has shown a dramatic drop in activity. They, like us, wish they had been on top if the extended care homes.

As for Italy...figures can lie and liars can figure. Pick your media poison so to speak.

One thing for sure if Sweden comes out of this better than other Western Countries, the governments will have lots of 'splaining to do.
Oddly enough Sweden has struggled with outbreaks in their recent immigrants as well. Namely Somalians. Not enough care and living to close together.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 AM

I would be fine with peoples risky behavior if the opted out of the health care system. If you end up their because of stupidity you put a whole lot of fine folks at risk, that I cannot agree with.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-22-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Ah, the Invulnerability of Youth.

Grizz
They aren't invulnerable, but certainly much less vulnerable. And I'm not one of them.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I would be fine with peoples risky behavior if the opted out of the health care system.
I've talked to people like that. Though if you got hurt playing hockey, football, skiing, snow boarding, dirt biking, etc., activities they didn't participate in, you should have to pay your own way at the hospital because it was a "risky, unnecessary activity".
Old 04-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Getting back to the topic of the thread. I'm busy collecting firewood for next winter because not only do I not expect them to open parks up any time soon but I suspect as soon as we have some hot dry weather they'll just shut the whole forest/random camping area down and call it a year. Because of recent fire seasons and long weekend disasters officials are already much quicker to do so and seem to be just waiting for a reason to eliminate the need for monitoring partiers and such. Also, are parents going to keep their kids from playing with other kids while camping in close proximity? Specially in areas where there isn't formal monitoring like at a provincial park or pay to play campground. Time will tell.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I've talked to people like that. Though if you got hurt playing hockey, football, skiing, snow boarding, dirt biking, etc., activities they didn't participate in, you should have to pay your own way at the hospital because it was a "risky, unnecessary activity".
I think by "risky" Piker means doing things health care professionals told them not to do. Like smoking while they're being treated for lung cancer.

Last edited by gunluvr; 04-22-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Since there is no vaccine yet, no one knows that for certain.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I think by "risky and unnecessary " Piker means doing things health care professionals told them not to do. Like smoking while they're being treated for lung cancer.
"Like that", may have been a bit strong.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I would be fine with peoples risky behavior if the opted out of the health care system. If you end up their because of stupidity you put a whole lot of fine folks at risk, that I cannot agree with.
1700-1800 Canadians die in traffic accidents every year, and MVA’s are the leading cause of workplace deaths. It’s the most high risk activity that the average Canadian participates in. Is it stupid to drive?

For me, having a job to clothe, house, and feed my family is worth the risk of exposure to Covid 19. If I was retired or independently wealthy, my thoughts may be different.

Shutting down our economy is putting a lot of fine YOUNG folks at risk of suicide, domestic abuse, and financial ruin. It’s not a coincidence that the government is running ads about mental health, telling us to watch for signs of abused children within our communities, and announcing millions of dollars to support women’s shelters. If you know any first responders, ask him/her what they’re seeing. If you know a teacher, ask if they know any children who’s only decent meal was what they got at school.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-22-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post

For me, having a job to clothe, house, and feed my family is worth the risk of exposure to Covid 19. If I was retired or independently wealthy, my thoughts may be different.
Problem is nobody knows all the risks of Covid as its a completely new virus and nothing can be assumed. If its determined the reinfection leads to a death rate of 10% and mostly in younger people with strong immune systems would you still say that? Also we don't know that letting the virus run rampant won't increase the risk of a more fatal mutation forming.

I think we'd all feel better if no corona virus has ever proved to be THAT bad. But SARS and MERS are both in the same family and were no joke at killing people. MERS runs about 35% I believe and SARS about 10%. Combine that with the infectiousness of Covid and you'd have a disaster.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:54 AM

Just a thought nothing else

For those people who think they are invincible and those that think that this is just a load of crap. How about wearing an distinctive arm band and sign a waiver. This in order for you to be identified and visible.

* Any service provider (hospital, transport, groceries etc) will have the discretion to whom to serve. This include any normal activities not related to this, like accident, garbage collection, package deliveries etc.
* At least those "weak people" or vulnerable can identify who to avoid.

There would be no violation of any rights or freedom here, since everybody have it.

This is a win win

Last edited by igorot; 04-22-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Ahhhh I didn’t realize their was a certain ethnic demographic at that plant. Ok I get it...
Add to that a tie in to the occurrences at the Calgary seniors homes and you have a chain of infection.

Grizz
Old 04-22-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
1700-1800 Canadians die in traffic accidents every year, and MVA’s are the leading cause of workplace deaths. It’s the most high risk activity that the average Canadian participates in. Is it stupid to drive?

Shutting down our economy is putting a lot of fine YOUNG folks at risk of suicide, domestic abuse, and financial ruin. It’s not a coincidence that the government is running ads about mental health, telling us to watch for signs of abused children within our communities, and announcing millions of dollars to support women’s shelters. If you know any first responders, ask him/her what they’re seeing. If you know a teacher, ask if they know any children who’s only decent meal was what they got at school.
The "A" in MVA stands for "accident ". Putting oneself or others
at risk of exposure to covid 19 is by choice mostly, not accidental.

We all need to realize that risking exposure to covid 19 also risks our families at home through exposure to us. They get a say too, right?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:25 AM

I've long suspected we will some day have a real virus/pandemic roll through that kills a significant percentage of the population, not the less than fraction of a percent that this one is. I've though about what I would do in such a situation. The best solution I can come up with in such a scenario is to go buy as much food as you think you'll need, say a minimum 4 months worth, and then go home,stay there and do allow anyone on the property. If people really do believe this virus is a super deadly threat, why aren't they doing that?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I am not talking about self risk, I am talking about putting health care workers at risk.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-22-2020, 11:46 AM

I don’t even want to think about how crazy some here will get if this truly becomes a crisis with a high death rate in Alberta. It is easy to see why leaders throughout history exploit events that cause public distress. The amount of people that have become disrespectful and willing to step on each other over the slightest chance of the 1 in a million chance of increased safety is sad

I know this much when this is all over I won’t have regrets over how I reacted during this