Old 05-05-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Drayton is on fire big time!!!
Do you have more details on this?
Old 05-05-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
No way this many fires start from stupidity. No way.
I'm betting there's a few arsonists running around.
We have ash falling out of the sky like snow in Peace River from the fire that is over 200 km away (on a straight line) - it’s gotta be the one (or two) in Swan Hills area. Some (rare) of the ash particles are close or over an inch in diameter. This pic was taken not long after it started “snowing”.

The burning embers can fly and start fires 40-50 km away from where they originated. Not farfetched at all in the current conditions and the locations of fires.

This is the look at that (those) fire(s) from about 170-180 km away:

South of Peace River (the red dot in the sky is the Sun):

Old 05-05-2023, 09:54 PM

Ok, seriously now, this is ridiculous. Almost every fire is directly upwind of a town.
What if it's thieves?
Town gets evacuated and scum bags go shopping.
Nowadays nothing would surprise me.

There has to be something nefarious going on. Less people smoke now than ever, Social Media communication is faster than ever, so people are aware, and yet somehow people keep having oopsies?
Can't see it in every case this week. The odd one, sure.
But there hasn't even been any lightning.
Hopefully everyone stays safe out there!
Old 05-05-2023, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
The burning embers can fly and start fires 40-50 km away from where they originated. Not farfetched at all in the current conditions and the locations of fires
Sure, but the pattern isn't really downwind. Look at the 2 east of Edmonton and the 2 in Edmonton.
DV started well after the Entwistle fire, and is upwind.

Not saying impossible, but this is truly getting ridiculous.
Not the first time its been dry and windy in May. Yet I've never seen so many fires so spread out in such a short period.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:09 PM

I’m pretty sure that a bottle of water someone lost during hunting season could start a fire like a magnifying glass with the tinder dry conditions that are everywhere. I know I’ve misplaced a water bottle before while out sledding and didn’t close up the tunnel bag Could be as simple as that. We all gotta be more careful all the time. Not just during dry conditions. Hopefully she pours soon.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
I’m pretty sure that a bottle of water someone lost during hunting season could start a fire like a magnifying glass with the tinder dry conditions that are everywhere. I know I’ve misplaced a water bottle before while out sledding and didn’t close up the tunnel bag Could be as simple as that. We all gotta be more careful all the time. Not just during dry conditions. Hopefully she pours soon.
Fair enough.
I don't foresee much rain on the horizon, so hope the temps cool off and the wind dies off at the very least.

That one east of Edmonton is causing some serious concern. Hopefully it doesn't pitch west through all those acreages..
Old 05-05-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Please explain how a plastic water bottle can start a fire ? When was the last time you have seen or used a " glass" water bottle ?
It can definitely happen.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQJ-3pZfwc

Maybe that's another reason the Turd uses one of the cardboard box drink thingies.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Sure, but the pattern isn't really downwind. Look at the 2 east of Edmonton and the 2 in Edmonton.
DV started well after the Entwistle fire, and is upwind.

Not saying impossible, but this is truly getting ridiculous.
Not the first time its been dry and windy in May. Yet I've never seen so many fires so spread out in such a short period.
Could be, who knows. I haven’t been here long enough to make a judgement, but I talked to a few people today about it and all said they have never seen anything like this around here. One guy is in his 80’s (could be old and memory isn’t what it used to be). One said he’ll be done seeding in a few days. That’s pretty crazy. In the time I have been here, this is definitely the warmest and driest that I have experienced this time of year, no question about it.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
It can definitely happen.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQJ-3pZfwc

Maybe that's another reason the Turd uses one of the cardboard box drink thingies.
Lol.

A plastic bottle sure can start a fire.

And I carry a glass one in my back pocket while hunting, if one hasn’t seen one, haha.

Regardless how they started, it is quite brutal and hope for some relief in the near future.

Like I said earlier, hope everyone stay safe and damage free to the extent possible.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:30 PM

A photo of a completely burned leaf that landed right in front of me a few minutes ago. It tumbled in the wind on the driveway a bit before I was able to catch it still to snap the pic, so it lost the sides being just ash. Crazy how something like this can travel such a distance and keep its shape until touching the ground.

Edit: you can also kind of see the ash all over on that pic.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:30 PM

Here in East Central never seen the wind blow from the east/south east for this many days. Get a good east wind and it's usually 24 hrs and some kind of moisture out here. Just a dry hot wind that blows day and night. Not a normal thing out here. Hope everyone is safe, is all I can say, told the ol lady we are lucky, could be chaos right now.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Here in East Central never seen the wind blow from the east/south east for this many days. Get a good east wind and it's usually 24 hrs and some kind of moisture out here. Just a dry hot wind that blows day and night. Not a normal thing out here. Hope everyone is safe, is all I can say, told the ol lady we are lucky, could be chaos right now.
I was just talking with a friend about that very thing today. Usually after a good East wind, some crap weather follows.
Hence the saying, 'Nothing good comes from the East'.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:28 PM

20230505_2017610.jpg Almost lost my parents yard. House is 30 ft away.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
A photo of a completely burned leaf that landed right in front of me a few minutes ago. It tumbled in the wind on the driveway a bit before I was able to catch it still to snap the pic, so it lost the sides being just ash. Crazy how something like this can travel such a distance and keep its shape until touching the ground.
Northern Sunrise County is now telling folks just east of Nampa to be ready to rock and roll. We are in Marie Reine - definitely keeping a close eye on things. Stay safe.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Fair enough.
I don't foresee much rain on the horizon, so hope the temps cool off and the wind dies off at the very least.

That one east of Edmonton is causing some serious concern. Hopefully it doesn't pitch west through all those acreages..

I live a few miles from the fire NE of Ardrossan, I heard that homes have been lost unfortunately. Not sure how many yet, it’s still out of control and in one of the bigger “bush areas”…..😕
The East wind was ridiculous here all day. I worked in forestry years ago and couldn’t imagine fighting these fires with the wind we’ve had the last few days here.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Meal Farm View Post
Northern Sunrise County is now telling folks just east of Nampa to be ready to rock and roll. We are in Marie Reine - definitely keeping a close eye on things. Stay safe.
Oh man. I took a drive earlier today when I took some of the few pics above and everything looked far and away, smoke and ash aside. The wind up the hill was brutal, but pretty quite here in the valley. Got an alert about the evacuation at Atikameg when I was east of Nampa, which is about 100 km away via a straight line and pretty much exactly where the wind was blowing from. Lots of wood in between there and here…

Stay safe as well! Hopefully, it won’t go beyond warnings.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:58 AM

Update on Drayton Valley:
The flames edged the south side of town, but never got anywhere.
Power cycled a few times last night (security system alerts)
There have been no structure losses.
I got called back for work yesterday, was able to get into town, and over to my house, I loaded up my work gear, and with help from a co worker shuttled a few work trucks out of town.

The wind turning from out of the SE to out of the East likely saved Drayton as from what I could see last night, I’d say the leading edge of the fire was by far west of town and south of town.

There’s been a crap load of misleading reports of buildings lost etc. on social media, only to be followed by stuff like door bell cameras proving it as bunk…… this certainly doesn’t help with an already stressful situation.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-06-2023, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I got called back for work yesterday, was able to get into town, and over to my house, I loaded up my work gear, and with help from a co worker shuttled a few work trucks out of town.

The wind turning from out of the SE to out of the East likely saved Drayton as from what I could see last night, I’d say the leading edge of the fire was by far west of town and south of town.

There’s been a crap load of misleading reports of buildings lost etc. on social media, only to be followed by stuff like door bell cameras proving it as bunk…… this certainly doesn’t help with an already stressful situation.
Good to hear and yeah all kinds of BS floating around

From some of the photos and videos I have seen it came really close for sure
Old 05-06-2023, 10:35 AM

This confirms what you’re saying

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov...115.0,53.2,12z
Old 05-06-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

This is great news glad to hear that the change in wind kept the fire south of town,thanks for keeping everyone updated
Old 05-06-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1 View Post
This is great news glad to hear that the change in wind kept the fire south of town,thanks for keeping everyone updated
I have two friends that lost their places, so even though it missed town, she’s still burning..
Old 05-06-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I have two friends that lost their places, so even though it missed town, she’s still burning..
That’s no good hope they were insured

Unfortunately there is still many more at risk too even if it misses the main town
Old 05-06-2023, 03:01 PM

That’s a great site. That edson fire is an absolute monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle View Post

This confirms what you’re saying

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov...115.0,53.2,12z
Old 05-06-2023, 03:48 PM

The temperature has fallen big time and we are getting some light rain here SE of Caroline. Not sure what it will amount to but it is better than nothing.

Hopefully the Northern Regions will be getting similar and praying it will intensify.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
That’s a great site. That edson fire is an absolute monster.
So is the one by Swan Hills, which is now very close to High Prairie, according to the map. Crazy how it grew overnight. More than doubled in size it seems.

Glad to hear DV is OK for the most part.

Pretty smoky here today. The forecast shows 70% chance of rain tomorrow, which is a new thing. Didn’t show anything yesterday.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:40 PM
Banned

Arrow

BC: https://www.kelownanow.com/fires/map/

Alberta: https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/13...across-alberta

Pretty damn early for all of that!!
Old 05-06-2023, 05:43 PM

There has been a lot of irrelevant and unnecessary derailing posts. I cleaned up broadly. Keep on the topic of the fires, that is the relevant info AO members need. Keep your comments about politics, or who started the Banff fire off this thread. Full stop. Lots of people are dealing with serious loss and are in dangerous situations. If you can't even behave on this thread, shame on you. No further warning, next derailer will be suspended immediately.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-06-2023, 07:07 PM

This is a picture from a friend that I got earlier today about 4 miles East of our hunting camp, which is located SE of Peace River. Info I got is that it is moving in a NW direction. But winds have been very erratic in that area. So things may turn around quickly.

Having said that, many farms in the area suffered losses, so our little hunting camp worries are really nothing compared to these. Emergency crews are concentrating on saving living quarters, so many homes saved. Not so good for outbuildings/equipment unfortunately...

Finally got a bit of rain around my place, and other than the Nordegg area West of here, no out of control fires within the immediate area...so we are hoping for the best.

And to all others that may be affected by these wildfires, hope all turns out well for you...

Old 05-06-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, hopefully the with the cooler temps and some rain in the forecast things get better soon
Old 05-06-2023, 08:18 PM

Thoughts and prayers to all who have been affected by these fires, especially those who have lost anything to it.
Brother lives NW of Edson up Tom Hill Tower road and was evacuated last night. No hotels to be had so him, SIL and their 2 pups spent the night in the tundra. They managed to get a hotel this morning yet they'll be away from home for another day anyway. Scary as heck. Fingers crossed the rain comes that is forecast. Nice to see a week of it.