Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM

And no it is not bow hunting or archery....it is crossbow hunting. Someone already used that comment, but it was a good one.

Crossbows do not belong in the archery season.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Banned

All you guys with the negative comments, please elaborate on how this affects you personally. Share with us your tale of woe on how this impacts your life if a guy with a crossbow is sharing the woods with you during archery season.

Look, it's two hunters arguing over what's right or wrong with the way they hunt.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
And no it is not bow hunting or archery....it is crossbow hunting. Someone already used that comment, but it was a good one.

Crossbows do not belong in the archery season.
Agreed.....already been decided, move along now

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
All you guys with the negative comments, please elaborate on how this affects you personally. Share with us your tale of woe on how this impacts your life if a guy with a crossbow is sharing the woods with you during archery season.

Look, it's two hunters arguing over what's right or wrong with the way they hunt.
I guess it should be all weapons season then....never mind splitting up anything?

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I guess it should be all weapons season then....never mind splitting up anything?

LC
I never said that. Archery equipment is archery equipment. If I encountered another hunter while I was carrying my bow and he a crossbow, it would not matter one iota to me.

You act as if I said that there should be no distinction being bow season and rifle season.

Look, it's a bow hunter and a crossbow hunter having an arrow/bolt fight over the morals and ethics of the crossbow guy
Old 11-05-2014, 02:20 PM

Default Is Hunting with a Crossbow, really bowhunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinalberta View Post
It takes the same skill as rifle exept you have to be a little closer.

...a single-shot rifle...

...that takes a bit longer (and a lot more effort/motion) to reload...

...and is more cumbersome to carry...

...and more difficult to hold offhand for any length of time...

Yeah, just like a rifle. (Sorry, HuntinAlberta, just had to fun with ya a bit!)

Don't get me wrong - I'm a guy that prefers to take his bow out for a hunt (vs. rifle).

I enjoy shooting a crossbow as well - I can truly appreciate their strengths and weaknesses. Will I buy one for myself? Not likely. At least not until I'm physically unable to effectively use my compound.

One way or another, I believe that the days of general seasons for archery are eventually going to be limited, whether crossbows are allowed in archery seasons or not; Just looking at the proliferation of excellent archery shops in the Edmonton area - it appears that many hunters are either taking up bowhunting in addition to rifle/BP, or starting out as bowhunters.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:21 PM

oh well i voted for crossbow being in archey season ..

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 11-05-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I never said that. Archery equipment is archery equipment. If I encountered another hunter while I was carrying my bow and he a crossbow, it would not matter one iota to me.

You act as if I said that there should be no distinction being bow season and rifle season.

Look, it's a bow hunter and a crossbow hunter having an arrow/bolt fight over the morals and ethics of the crossbow guy
Archery equipment is archery equipment....a xbow is not archery equipment

It's not a morals and ethics debate it is an eligible equipment debate, the two classes of equipment are not the same...like a shot gun and rifle are not the same.

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Archery equipment is archery equipment....a xbow is not archery equipment

It's not a morals and ethics debate it is an eligible equipment debate, the two classes of equipment are not the same...like a shot gun and rifle are not the same.

LC
If you base it on what other jurisdictions say it is archery equipment Kris.

What the pompous groups in alberta think doesn't outweigh what others think
Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
If you base it on what other jurisdictions say it is archery equipment Kris.

What the pompous groups in alberta think doesn't outweigh what others think
The definition here is the one we have to worry about. Heck, in certain foreign jurisdictions, archery hunting is illegal.

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=airbornedeerhunter;2605281]I never said that. Archery equipment is archery equipment. If I encountered another hunter while I was carrying my bow and he a crossbow, it would not matter one iota to me.

Look, it's a bow hunter and a crossbow hunter having an arrow/bolt fight over the morals and ethics of the crossbow guy[/QUOTE.]
I was the one that commented on one general season - I would not have an issue with it as I gave been doing just that since 1977.
Hung with what you want - just don't try to tell me you are special and need your own season.
Cat
Old 11-05-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
No crossbows in archery season!!!!
I don't even bow hunt but I agree that there shouldn't be crossbows in the bow seasons.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Allowing crossbows will bring more people into the fields or bush during archery season. This increase will make everything go to draw and cut back tags like foothills or strathcona deer. Then watch the complaints roll in. It will not make thing better with this increasing population.
I for one, hopes this never comes into effect. if it does due to pressure from people lookk g for a less skillful method then
keep its equal and make them cock the crossbow before shooting.
My 2 cents
Old 11-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Banned

To me a Compound Bow is a Modern version of a Bow, where as a Crossbow is an Ancient version of a Rifle.

Therefore Crossbows should be RESTRICTED to Rifle season, unless the user is handicapped.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
To me a Compound Bow is a Modern version of a Bow, where as a Crossbow is an Ancient version of a Rifle.

Therefore Crossbows should be RESTRICTED to Rifle season, unless the user is handicapped.
Well seeing as to how the crossbow was around LOOONNGGGG before compound bows were even thought up, wouldn't a crossbow be the modern version of the long bow? Your 'opinion' is horribly flawed.

Not to be rude, but you seem to portray a serious ego, as in a previous thread regarding cutting fences and access to hunters you stated how you don't get why landowners don't permit access to more hunters, specifically bow hunters. Why would it matter what tool the hunter uses as far as access goes?

I hunt with both tools. And frankly I love hunting during archery season, however, for no other reason than to possibly curb the elitist attitudes portrayed by some I will and have voted yes to crossbows in archery season. It doesn't affect me so I don't care if guys use crossbows.

Lets understand this gents. Because you hurl arrows from a compound, you are not automatically a great white hunter. In fact most oldtimers that have only pulled a trigger on a rifle PROBABLY outskill you ten fold. Guys need to get over the fact that flinging arrows isn't some exclusive secretive invite only group. Your no better a hunter than the guy that has spent his life hunting gophers in his dads back forty.

Last edited by wildside2014; 11-05-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHunter View Post
Allowing crossbows will bring more people into the fields or bush during archery season. This increase will make everything go to draw and cut back tags like foothills or strathcona deer. Then watch the complaints roll in. It will not make thing better with this increasing population.
I for one, hopes this never comes into effect. if it does due to pressure from people lookk g for a less skillful method then
My 2 cents
Absolutely ridiculous statement. Again, historical data proves in other jurisdictions that allowing this tool in a general archery season does NOT increase participation in the long term.

Now, to think using a horizontal tool takes less skill is sad... Big flippen deal the sting is held mechanically on this device.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well seeing as to how the crossbow was around LOOONNGGGG before compound bows were even thought up, wouldn't a crossbow be the modern version of the long bow? Your 'opinion' is horribly flawed.

Not to be rude, but you seem to portray a serious ego, as in a previous thread regarding cutting fences and access to hunters you stated how you don't get why landowners don't permit access to more hunters, specifically bow hunters. Why would it matter what tool the hunter uses as far as access goes?

I hunt with both tools. And frankly I love hunting during archery season, however, for no other reason than to possibly curb the elitist attitudes portrayed by some I will and have voted yes to crossbows in archery season. It doesn't affect me so I don't care if guys use crossbows.

Lets understand this gents. Because you hurl arrows from a compound, you are not automatically a great white hunter. In fact most oldtimers that have only pulled a trigger on a rifle PROBABLY outskill you ten fold. Guys need to get over the fact that flinging arrows isn't some exclusive secretive invite only group. Your no better a hunter than the guy that has spent his life hunting gophers in his dads back forty.
Exactly, they developed Crossbows, because the majority of soldiers could not hit anything accurately with a long bow, hence the first rifle (Crossbow)was born!

As soon as the chinese developed gun powder they lost the string and made a round tube out of metal and called it a 轮管 Translation: Gun Barrel!

Thank you for making my point!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly, they developed Crossbows, because the majority of soldiers could not hit anything accurately with a long bow, hence the first rifle (Crossbow)was born!

As soon as the chinese developed gun powder they lost the string and made a round tube out of metal and called it a 轮管 Translation: Gun Barrel!

Thank you for making my point!
Round and round you go. I didn't prove any of your points. The evolutionary step from long bow was to crossbow. If anything the compound was designed for the putz' that couldn't shoot a bow properly lol. Do you honestly think that because you can fling arrows from a compound and put up 4 inch groupings you can automatically put up even 8 inch groupings with a trad bow?

Please do answer the question regarding access to bowhunters vs rifle hunters. Why do you feel that guys using compound bows should have ANY more privilege than anyone else
Old 11-05-2014, 04:53 PM

this reminds me when i was heavily involved in competitive paintball using a pump action paintball gun.

We had the speedball players (tourney guys) telling the bush ball players they weren't playing real paintball if paintball wasn't played in a tournament setting with air bunkers and bright clothing and not using paintball markers that shot 30 bps. Could never seem to co-exist which made it the biggest black mark for the sport.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Round and round you go. I didn't prove any of your points. The evolutionary step from long bow was to crossbow. If anything the compound was designed for the putz' that couldn't shoot a bow properly lol. Do you honestly think that because you can fling arrows from a compound and put up 4 inch groupings you can automatically put up even 8 inch groupings with a trad bow?

Please do answer the question regarding access to bowhunters vs rifle hunters. Why do you feel that guys using compound bows should have ANY more privilege than anyone else
Well if you have read any of my posts, my views have been stated. I can see that many share the same views as I and many do not. In the end I ugess it's all a matter of opinion. I am no purest and I shoot my bow very well over 80 yards. I will never put a scope on my bow and never shoot it on the horizontal. Thats what my 30-06 and 300 wsm are for.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Is hunting with a crossbow bow hunting? Who cares, it's legal
It is not legal in bow only season. I think that's the crux of the matter.
It is legal in bow season for those with handicaps and have special permission to do so, otherwise crossbow is only legal during rifle season.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
It is not legal in bow only season. I think that's the crux of the matter.
It is legal in bow season for those with handicaps and have special permission to do so, otherwise crossbow is only legal during rifle season.
And that where it should stay! just my opinion
Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

One way or another, I believe that the days of general seasons for archery are eventually going to be limited, whether crossbows are allowed in archery seasons or not; Just looking at the proliferation of excellent archery shops in the Edmonton area - it appears that many hunters are either taking up bowhunting in addition to rifle/BP, or starting out as bowhunters.
Of course it's getting more popular. Here in 346, I have to wait 5 years (or more) to shoot a moose with a rifle.
My wife bought a compound bow, within a day of borrowing it I could hit a 4" target at 30m.
Since then, I've been within 30m of 3 bull moose, 2 cows and a calf - This was not during the archery season but I was not out there in the archery season as I do not archery hunt. I honestly believe that I would have a better than 50% chance of filling a general moose tag next year if I tried.
Why would you take up rifle hunting if you were just starting out?
This is irrelevant to the OP of course, but archery is just going to become more and more popular.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
And that where it should stay! just my opinion
We are all entitled to our opinions..

I do question you thou, in less than 2 month during big game season you have managed 500 plus posts. You should spend some time in the field and enjoy our passion rather than sharing your opinion.

Of course, this is my opinion
Old 11-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
We are all entitled to our opinions..

I do question you thou, in less than 2 month during big game season you have managed 500 plus posts. You should spend some time in the field and enjoy our passion rather than sharing your opinion.

Of course, this is my opinion
You are right! Typically I am in the bush most of the season or until my freezer is full, due to circumstances not in my control I can not. But posting and chatting with fellow hunter persons is comforting, but nothing like the real thing!

So what makes me so special that you are studying me?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:35 PM

Default nope they can't

Quote:
I agree I have no issue if folks have an injury or disability....they can already do that now.

LC
The disability has to be permanent. My dad tore his rotator cuff and cannot pull his bow. the surgeon won't repair it because he says dad is too old. Dad applied for a permit to hunt with a crossbow and was turned down by F and W because it isn't a permanent disability. what fu%^in joke!
B.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Get rid of those crossbows boat anchores get a bow and practice
Old 11-05-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock1 View Post
The disability has to be permanent. My dad tore his rotator cuff and cannot pull his bow. the surgeon won't repair it because he says dad is too old. Dad applied for a permit to hunt with a crossbow and was turned down by F and W because it isn't a permanent disability. what fu%^in joke!
B.
Yep.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock1 View Post
B.
Yeah similar story my ol man has bad knees ( can't walk to far maybe a couple hundred meters off a road) has had a calostomy bag for 20 years , and just can't pull a bow back comfortably . He's been denied aswell, you'd think that at a certain age maybe 65 you could give the permit if wanted . Dad is 72.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHunter View Post
My 2 cents
I disagree that it will bring more people into the fields or bush during archery season. It has been done in other places and after a few years there is still the same percentage of archery hunters. Hunting with a bow or a crossbow is not as easy as a rifle and people realize that after trying and give it up.

As for everything going to draw and cutting back tags. It could possibly bring some zones to draw only (I doubt it). But, cutting tags only really effects the bow hunters if it went to draw. Other than that the tags that were originally just for bow hunters get added to the draw. I think that is around 15% more tags for the draw. It is not like the number of animals that are allowed to be harvested is going to change because of crossbows. If anything it brings equal opportunity for all user groups.

On a side note I really enjoy the archery season and the opportunities that go along with it. Just these last couple of years with the proposal to split the draws, the proposal to ban spears and atlatls, and this elitist attitude from some bow hunters who it seems generally hunt trophy mule deer in the south need to get off there high horse. Allowing crossbows in the archery season will give everybody an opportunity to hunt the early season and it would end this elitist attitude.

My 2 cents.