Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2007, 02:39 PM

I'm in
Old 12-07-2007, 02:43 PM

I am all for this contest. But Lurch, coyotes are native to alberta, Pheasants and some grouse are not. Native species are far more important to me.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM
jrs

"Down in the south we are over run with yotes. Mange is present on about 50% right now. They have raised hell on pheasants and grouse populations, not to mention the impact on livestock producers. There are too many. You know it is bad when a bounty is offered."

Just to clarify the foxes, raccoons and skunks are causing more damage than coyotes (won't go into depth as to why there's so many, involves agriculture, culverts, etc). Having a few coyotes around can benefit game birds as they hate other canids (foxes) and will kill them or try to drive them away. I know there is a ton of coyotes, hunting by today's standards will not threaten there populations in any way (if guns/poisons/traps of days past couldn't get it done a few guys out hunting definitely won't). So if you see a fox or a raccoon while looking for coyotes let her have it, you will be doing the game birds a favor. Ducks unlimited has done lots of research on bird and nest depredation, foxes usually get the bird and the nest, coyotes usually get the eggs but not the hen (most work done with ducks but everything overlaps, i know of sharptail research that found the same thing).
I'm out looking to get some yotes so not attacking anyone, there's enough around (i saw a pack with more than 20 members last year and a pack with 14, lots of groups numbering 6-10). Lots of people have a soft spot for foxes and raccoons, if we switch that feeling it would be beneficial (boom....boom...boom).
Down in Antelope country the coyotes probably have the biggest impact on big game, can't remember statistics but they take their fair share of newborns.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 PM

The first morning of deer season I was out bright and earlyl looking for that big buck that hangs around my area. Didn't see him so I started counting coyotes, Within 2 hrs I quit counting after 10 DIFFERENT coyotes came into view. Hmmm, didn't see a lot of grouse and does and fawns this year as I usually do. I will be back out there tommorow to wreak havoc on the local yote population and I will feel no remorse when their pelt is hanging in my skinning shed. Fur prices may not be that good this year, oh well, just gonna have to kill more yotes to buy that new varmint gun this spring.

ruger300
Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 AM

Hello All,
Well its 8am and i was going to go hunt some dogs this morning, to bad my cuz slept in tho he should be up so. Should be a good day for dogs and i heard their is lots out their.
Great pics guys, some really nice yoties.
PLEASE ADD ME TO THE CONTEST!!!!!
Little Buck
Old 12-08-2007, 08:33 AM
lurch

Last edited by lurch; 01-22-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Default Read again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbirnie View Post
Just think of this the next time your going to put a nice thick T-bone on the bar-b-que, which is more important
Read my post again , does it noy say Ranchers and cows are the most important life on the planet , thinks it does.

Flippin my steak over , and havin a beer.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:03 AM
gopherslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post

But you are too poor to even own a phone, how do you get beer and steak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD
Me , l,m to old , no money , no phone ,
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 AM

Lurch,
I do like to fish. And yes native fish like cuthrout, bull trout, pike, yellow perch and many more are very important to me. These are the species that are supposed to be in our lakes and rivers. Man has introduced many other species, i am not against it but believe that native species should come first.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Well LETHAL , l have a problem with your answer , A PEST , no they are part of the food chain and a cleanup crew of dead carcesses etc.
Damage to cattle , horses pigs , you say , maybe , but why do you think a coyotes life is not as important as a farmers stock , or a pheasant ,l,m sure the coyote likes to live as much as a cow, or is it just money here.
This time of year they are just HUNGRY, and have a heck of a time trying to fell their bellies without a bunch a yahoos with rifles chasing them around.
l really dont see an overpopulation to the point of a pest yet like gophers.
When they start to run in packs of 6 or more in a 2 mile radius , then its time to cull.
Sure l shoot the odd coyote if l see mange , l,ve even trapped them years ago in areas where they needed thinning out , but never did l take more than 6 within a 10 mile radius.
The price of a coyote is not worth anything now , maybe 20 bucks if that
A lot of you may think l,m an anti because of my thoughts here ,but no l,m not , l just dont think that they deserve to be called the villan here , and shot and left in the field, just because they want to eat.
l cant say l,m in agreement with your contest either.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Read my post again , does it noy say Ranchers and cows are the most important life on the planet , thinks it does.

A beer? Or maybe a dozen beers? Would definately explain most of your posts.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:56 PM

I'm definitely not going to provide any competition for this contest but will contribute at least some photos to entertain. This first one of the season is positioned across the river from the front window but upon checking the ice today, it's still not nearly safe for travel :

Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Just an add on to the previous post.
I have always wondered the affects that a dead coyote might have to the remaining live visitors to the area. This afternoon I watched and filmed another yote come right up to the above dead one, sniff it a bit, then carry on as if it was a normal occurrence.
After a couple of "warning" shots I think it became more clear to the still living one .
Old 12-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Turkey shoot
Well , you said your club , so l presume you also have a piece of land , well thats all you need ,buy a bunch of turkeys , hams , make up some targets , set up a trap , l have an ancient relic that sits on the ground , manual type , to slow for todays standard , but l think you can rent them.
Advertise , buy a roll of tickets , decide the prices , and costs , and away ya go.
Me , l,m to old , no money , no phone ,posted here for the young boys to handle , like yourself , but l can still shoot , and would be there for that.
is this BUD trying to make friends with a land owner?
Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Opps ! Forgot about this contest and smoked two more today !
Gave them to the old trapper guy this afternoon. As well as a tank of diesel fuel for his Kabota work wagon ATV thing he uses to check his line.
Oh well, all for a good cause (and Karma points )

Nice to see folks out thinning the dogs out. Population is way too high....
Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM

Default one dog down

Went out coyote hunting today, not to much luck called in 3 and got this little girl running full out towards me, got it about 2pm at about 75 years.
Little Buck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01091.JPG (134.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Banned

Default Me Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherslayer View Post
But you are too poor to even own a phone, how do you get beer and steak?
With me crappy tire credit card dude.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
With me crappy tire credit card dude.

I think me and about 95% of the people on here wish you had a phone instead of a computer with internet
Old 12-09-2007, 01:32 PM

HERE ARE 3 I SHOT THIS WEEKEND THIS SHOULD GET ME ON THE SCOREBOARD

Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_hunter View Post
HERE ARE 3 I SHOT THIS WEEKEND THIS SHOULD GET ME ON THE SCOREBOARD

what happened to the leg of first yote?

Yesterday, I saw 9 coyotes while driving. I wish I was riding with my 22-250 instead of my wife.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 PM

1 out of 4 today : no pictures again LOL

Really moving this morning before snow hit. Warmed up to -5c here right now.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:41 PM

COYOTE SCHOOL
I took a newbie out for his first coyote calling trip on Saturday. Actually, he's a skilled and experienced hunter, but has never tried predator calling. We started the day with a few dry holes and then had a double come in. One of them came in agressively, but the other held waaaay back. When the close one got to the point where he was about to catch our scent I dropped him. That made one for the teacher. Then we both filled the air with lead at the now rapidly fleeing #2. Besides snow and trees, we didn't hit a thing. Here's #1.

A couple of stands later we sucked in another one and the student got him. I encouraged him to post the story and pic, so I'll leave that one alone.

Unfortunately, that was it for the day. I sure would've liked to have pulled in a few more but couldn't do it. Looks like I'll have to turn in my teaching certificate.

triggerpress
Old 12-09-2007, 07:54 PM

the front leg is in his mouth I hit him a little low first shot and he grabed his leg then he got drilled aging

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaree View Post
what happened to the leg of first yote?

Yesterday, I saw 9 coyotes while driving. I wish I was riding with my 22-250 instead of my wife.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 AM

Well I was a student this weekend and man did I ever learn a lot. I must thank triggerpress for being such a great hunting partner and teacher. As he stated I did manage to get one and I am now seriously hooked on this predator calling stuff. Watching them come in and how they reacted to the calling was a blast.

Here is my yote. Took him at 200 yards. One shot from the 204 using 32 grain hornady V Max's put him down for good. Never even got a yelp out of him when he went down.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM

JohninAB,
Nice gun..and yotie. Really nice coat on him.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:51 PM

JoninAb- definately a nice looking dog... and gun. Me and littlebuck are wondering if your rifle is custom made or factory?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:20 AM

Johns gun looks like a fatory Ruger
Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 PM

Gun is indeed a factory Ruger K77VTL MK II Target. It is a bit heavy with the heavy barrel and laminated beavertail foreend stock but shoots real good!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Well I was a student this weekend and man did I ever learn a lot. I must thank triggerpress for being such a great hunting partner and teacher. As he stated I did manage to get one and I am now seriously hooked on this predator calling stuff. Watching them come in and how they reacted to the calling was a blast.

Here is my yote. Took him at 200 yards. One shot from the 204 using 32 grain hornady V Max's put him down for good. Never even got a yelp out of him when he went down.

sweet yote Johnny!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Yote contest

I would like to join in please. I can't wait for calving season for sure now. Mmmm.... all that cow after-birth and blood smell in the air. Should be fun. We see quite a few hanging around. Bought some yote calls and a 17 remington to get them with.

AlazyS