Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I work at Bass Pro and I am telling you that way more than half of the people that want to buy one think they are a 75 - 100 yard tool. They see a scope and figure they can fling a pointy stick whichever way they choose.

This is in my opinion what is wrong with the crossbow. Too many folks are too lazy to be proficient with a compound and figure they can roll in with a crossbow and get critters that hang up out of range.

I think that if we implement a season for them, there should be some sort of training required. Educate folks on the effective range and how an arrow kills. By the way, I feel this way about any bowhunting. I know I could have used more education in the first couple of seasons I was bowhunting. It would have helped me in so many ways.
I have a cross-bow and my accuracy is pretty good at 75 yards and I can still bury my arrow into the target to about half-shaft at that distance.

I personally would love to see a hybrid season for cross-bow usage where the bow-guys have the normal start to the season and then about half-way through bow season cross-bow starts and then continues on as it is currently to the end of the season. Bow hunters get to start early and continue to the end, cross-bow needs to squeeze into the action with all the noisy rifles going off (and yes, I shoot rifle too).

As far as educating folks about bow-hunting and cross-bow hunting, I think that something would be quite nice to have. I bought my cross-bow as a "toy" to play with and quickly learned how much fun it really is and what it is capable of.

EndNote: When I describe the cross-bow as a toy, I feel it is a toy in the same way that I feel the .22LR is a toy - fun and cheap to play with and it builds up skill.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM

We could continue this thread for another dozen pages, but in the end, the decision has already been made. There will be no special crossbow season in 2011.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM

It may not be happening for 2011, but be sure that it is going to eventually happen as most places through out North America are starting allow them during open archery seasons.
This thread is one of the ****TY cases of hunter VS hunter.
I'm an X-bow shooter because of an accident and buggered up my shoulder which is feeling quite abit better now. But i'm hoping to go back to the Compound this summer if the $ permits it.
I have NO problems with the x-bow aslong as the shooter takes the time to learn his equipment and continues to shoot it off and on through out the season to make sure things are up to par.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerncoachman View Post
Or they would have voted no.
By what logic? If they didn't care what the outcome of the vote was wouldn't it make sense to you that they'd vote yes over no if they had to chose one over the other? My thinking was that it'd be human nature to say "why not" if you really didn't care.

Good point on the third option of not voting at all though. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Here's to the smug ABA members and the victory they have won.

There will be NO bowhunting permission granted on my property. I will be talking with the adjacent landowners about the perils of unethical bow hunters.

You guys paint crossbow hunters with a certain brush, I will paint you with the same.

We all hunt. Some seem to need special privileges, guess they are not as good as they think.
Where u located?
Please tell us, so we won't come asking for permission.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Here's to the smug ABA members and the victory they have won.

There will be NO bowhunting permission granted on my property. I will be talking with the adjacent landowners about the perils of unethical bow hunters.

You guys paint crossbow hunters with a certain brush, I will paint you with the same.

We all hunt. Some seem to need special privileges, guess they are not as good as they think.
That's to bad, you have to take that approach, but it's your land do as you please....it may be the small victory you were looking for !!!

Quote:
Have you ever used a crossbow?

They are heavy and bulky, kind of a pain to move through the bush with. They cannot be cocked without creating a major rukus. As soon as you rest them you run the risk of having a limb hit something, destroying accuracy, and possibly the bow.

So why fight for something that you believe is so bad for hunting with and maybe worse for ethical kills ? Who benefits from the inclusion of this device??
Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
can i ask why not?
ABA is a great organization, that helps hunters accross this province, and usually head in the right direction on topics. I can vote on topics from the outside and still contribute to their causes.

Now the AFGA, might be one that I might join to help voice my opinion on some discussions that seem they might need another persective on.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
That's to bad, you have to take that approach, but it's your land do as you please....it may be the small victory you were looking for !!!

Thank you I will, it's no victory, the ABA has their views and I will push back against them anyway I can. You should see the looks on bowhunters faces when you deny them permission with their bows, but invite them back to rifle hunt any time. It's priceless.

So why fight for something that you believe is so bad for hunting with and maybe worse for ethical kills ? Who benefits from the inclusion of this device??
You are sure reading a lot into that. Bowhunters tell us that CBS are these awesome devices that kill every deer in the county, then turn on the elderly, and small children. Just trying to point out some of the fallacies of their argument.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Where u located?
Please tell us, so we won't come asking for permission.
East central Alberta. Come ask permission, only bows are not allowed. Sling shots, crossbows, shotguns, muzzle loaders, rifles, and anything else legal to hunt with are good to go.

What we really need is a handgun season running in conjunction with bow season.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Nothings funnyer than a mod trolling on his own board, a certain mod in particular concidering the action he's taken in the past on threads that end up like this one has/is going to....
Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Actually it looks more to be a brief editorial type statement with results thrown in at the end.
If you truly believed that your OP would not turn in to a debate about crossbows then you are a silly silly man.
BTW I think thats okay. Just calling a spade, a spade.
Now where did I ever say that I thought it wouldn't turn into a debate?
Its a hot topic in the hunting community, and there will be people in favor of it and people opposed to it.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Just quickly scanning this thread I didn't see mention of crossbow permits for the disabled. SRD said that the rules regarding this are going to be quite different - to the point that a simple doctor's note stating that an individual hasn't the capability to draw a compound bow is all that will be required. There will be a substantial amount of crossbow permits issued for use during the archery season as early as 2011. This is due to the high percentage that favoured the use of crossbows. It's just a matter of time before Alberta catches up with other provinces regarding the use of crossbows.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
so what are we calling conventional there elk? my bow is a mathews reezen. is that conventional enough? the question was about crossbows was it not? the big issue is......well its been said a thousand times already.

and 99% of its opponents.

cal, after reading a few of your posts on your bowhunting endeavours and commitment to archery, i have actually lost a fair bit of the credit i was giving you in this entire discussion. after telling me what a dedicated archer you are to find out different was surprising. and once again this thread was not started by me, but you can give me credit for it if you like. funny thing is, i have told you from day 1 that i dont really even care if they are accepted or not....i wont go back to one....they kinda suck as a hunting tool in my opinion. that said, they do have the same capabilities as any other bow and the archery season is where i feel they belong.

being how facts are irrelevant in this whole topic and emotion is the only thing that seems to matter i have no interest in beating this dead pony. the info is already here for those that care....those that dont wont accept fact anyway.

See right here is where you call me a liar ISB. I take offence to that because I never told you I was a dedicated archer, you just assumed that because thats how you tend to steriotype people who are against crossbows in the bow season. I did state that being a successful bowhunter requires skill and dedication. I will also tell you that both surfing and making good Holandais sauce take skill and dedicaton, I suck at both of those activities as well. So either show me where I lied to you or apoligise for calling me a liar because so far you have lied to me twice, once when you said that I told you I was a dedicated bowhunter and again when you told me you never called me a liar.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Default Thread Rage

Wow, what a dividing subject - lots of thread rage going on!
Anyone can get a doctor's note, so if thats the case, it may as well have passed. Too bad.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Just quickly scanning this thread I didn't see mention of crossbow permits for the disabled. SRD said that the rules regarding this are going to be quite different - to the point that a simple doctor's note stating that an individual hasn't the capability to draw a compound bow is all that will be required. There will be a substantial amount of crossbow permits issued for use during the archery season as early as 2011. This is due to the high percentage that favoured the use of crossbows. It's just a matter of time before Alberta catches up with other provinces regarding the use of crossbows.
This is excellent news Rob! Not because it opens the door to legalizing the use of crossbows during archery only season but because people that needed the permit couldn't get it. The regs as they are written right now are ridiculous at best. You have to either have an upper limb amputation or be paralyzed. The fellas with the cronic arthritis, severely injured shoulder, etc were SOL! IMHO This is great for everyone that hunts or is waiting for this to hunt during archery only season but can't use a bow!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 PM

I get that this is a touchy subject, and I get that everyone has their own opinion - that is good. That being said how many people truly have an educated opinion based on having actually handled a x-bow, shot a x-bow, and hunted with a x-bow etc.? And I'm not just talking about picking one up in a sporting goods store and then putting it back on the rack. I suspect regardless of which side of the debate a person is on it is a very very small percentage.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 02-27-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The regs as they are written right now are ridiculous at best. You have to either have an upper limb amputation or be paralyzed.
Recognizing that fact, SRD is easing the conditions dramatically. Those with arthritis and such will be given permits with nothing more than a simple doctor's note. The past requirements were archaic at best.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Anyone can get a doctor's note, so if thats the case, it may as well have passed. Too bad.

^^^ Your 100% right

I guess there's the loop hole, and the get out of jail, free card............

I know my Doctor would give me something like that really easy, without my medical history. Which For the guys who will question me, is alot worse than most people that will get there permit.....
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Wait a minute now. Countless times you guys said it would be okay if the rules for a disability crossbow permit were reduced in discussions on this forum prior to the poll results. Now that the SRD poll results are out and in your favour, this one caveat is now no good? Unbelieveable!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Now where did I ever say that I thought it wouldn't turn into a debate?
Its a hot topic in the hunting community, and there will be people in favor of it and people opposed to it.
Well I was trying to point out that I knew that you knew that we knew that you already knew that.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
I get that this is a touchy subject, and I get that everyone has their own opinion - that is good. That being said how many people truly have an educated opinion based on having actually handled a x-bow, shot a x-bow, and hunted with a x-bow etc.? And I'm not just talking about picking one up in a sporting goods store and then putting it back on the rack. I suspect regardless of which side of the debate a person is on it is a very very small percentage.
Me. Converted from compound bow to crossbow due to a wonky shoulder about 15 years ago. I think that half of my post total is a result of my posting on the now infamous "Crossbow" thread. I did my best to dispel as many stereotypes and misinformation about crossbows as I could but there were still people posting about everything from road hunting with them to 100 yd hunting ranges. Oh well, what are ya going to do.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute now. Countless times you guys said it would be okay if the rules for a disability crossbow permit were reduced in discussions on this forum prior to the poll results. Now that the SRD poll results are out and in your favour, this one caveat is now no good? Unbelieveable!
Im fine with it as long as the people getting the doctors notes actually have disabilities preventing them from drawing back a bow..

But if I see Brock Lesnar out Crossbow hunting in archery season with a doctors note pinned to his vest he's going to get it Okay probably not but you see my point
Old 02-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd like to hear more bowhunters views on the permit issue. If the emotions are put aside and people could get by their ingrained dislike of crossbows, some might see this as a good thing for themselves.

Two weeks ago I crashed my sled and I wrecked my right shoulder. There is no way in hell that I can even shovel snow let alone draw a bow (if I physically could have before the accident). Now if something like that happened to a hardcore bowhunter just before archery only season at least now he'll have the option of going out with a crossbow. More options!

Isn't that a good thing or does the dislike of crossbows run too deep?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
What we really need is a handgun season running in conjunction with bow season.
Hey I'd really be up for that. I have a 460 just itchin' for that opportunity!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM

My Doctor Wrote a couple of letters on my behalf trying to get me a crossbow permit quite a few years back and I was refused because I had no amputation,never mind the fact that my shattered elbow made it impossible to draw my bow any more. I for one am very happy they may relax the rules In all honesty though ,with the way the arthritis is starting to take over ,I'm not sure I could operate a crossbow anyway.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'd like to hear more bowhunters views on the permit issue. If the emotions are put aside and people could get by their ingrained dislike of crossbows, some might see this as a good thing for themselves.

Two weeks ago I crashed my sled and I wrecked my right shoulder. There is no way in hell that I can even shovel snow let alone draw a bow (if I physically could have before the accident). Now if something like that happened to a hardcore bowhunter just before archery only season at least now he'll have the option of going out with a crossbow. More options!

Isn't that a good thing or does the dislike of crossbows run too deep?
Well the way I see it, as a bow hunter if i mess my shoulder up left or right and prevents me from drawing back my bow, why would I ask my doc for a note to shoot a x-bow that requires a min of what 100lb pull? I realize that there cross bows that have crank capabilities but thats $$$$$. I'd rather miss a season of bow hunting and work on recovery. I would only hope that my recovery wOuld allow me to pull the minunum required for bow hunting. I have no objections for the use of crossbows as it's regulated now, but I firmly believe they don't belong in the archery season
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM

I agree it should be easier for disabled to get a x bow permit - but a simple doctors note! Like that won't be abused.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
Well the way I see it, as a bow hunter if i mess my shoulder up left or right and prevents me from drawing back my bow, why would I ask my doc for a note to shoot a x-bow that requires a min of what 100lb pull? I realize that there cross bows that have crank capabilities but thats $$$$$. I'd rather miss a season of bow hunting and work on recovery. I would only hope that my recovery wOuld allow me to pull the minunum required for bow hunting. I have no objections for the use of crossbows as it's regulated now, but I firmly believe they don't belong in the archery season
Get a permanent injury that doesn't heal , then tell us what you believe.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
And what if your injury was permanent in nature and you couldn't use a compound bow anymore? Would you give up archery all together or would you take up a crossbow?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
My Doctor Wrote a couple of letters on my behalf trying to get me a crossbow permit quite a few years back and I was refused because I had no amputation,never mind the fact that my shattered elbow made it impossible to draw my bow any more. I for one am very happy they may relax the rules In all honesty though ,with the way the arthritis is starting to take over ,I'm not sure I could operate a crossbow anyway.
Good for you Jungleboy! You'll find a way to make the crossbow work for ya!