Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I wonder if online supporters of Ghaddafi and Moamar were whining day and night,

"you can protest like that! you can't protest like that!"
aren't Moamar and Ghaddafi the same person.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Terrible news to report........

Those f$%^ers towed my trailer!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

My neighbour "Bylaw Brad" must live next door to you too.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

Are you going to take it lying down or are you gonna .......protest?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Apparently in Calgary you can do both at the same time
Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
this is private property not a public park, 2 different arguments.
Wouldn't they still have a legal right to protest? Wasn't it you that stated that most people only want to let them protest if they protest on our terms. I guess that your terms are that it is okay for them to protest, as long as they protest on city property, and not on your property. You giving the impression of being such an idealist, I would have thought that you would be gladly volunteering your property ,so that they could continue with their protest legally.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:25 PM

I thought about going for a walk in Edmonton there and ya know acting all clumsy trip fall over there tents that they begged for on kijiji , that would probably make me a bad person but then agian id be alright with that . im likely already going to hell but I hear that they got good fishing there and water doesnt freeze there .
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Marriage has taught me that protesting only delays the inevitable. No if you'll excuse me I have a litterbox to change....Greylynx was over for the weekend.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Y'all are hilarious.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Just line them up...

Quick and easy!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:04 PM

This video from that picture I believe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wuWEx6Cfn-I
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Ok: Maybe I overdid it bit:

As Treeguy says..... Bad Kitty.....Off to the laundry room with my box of cat litter.
not at all GL, you hit the nail on the head.

"occupy reality"
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Forget about the US and the rest of Canada, what are these people protesting here in Calgary, there are plenty of jobs out there so what do they want? If they want to put up tents on public property there is plenty of crown land where its legal to do it.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM
sheephunter

That's why you had to like King Ralph....he just rounded them all up and gave them a one way bus ticket to Vancouver.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
That's why you had to like King Ralph....he just rounded them all up and gave them a one way bus ticket to Vancouver.
And still had enough left over to write us all a $400 check!! LOL.

I like the one way bus ticket idea. Would likely be cheaper then hooking p power and cleaning up after them.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
This video from that picture I believe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wuWEx6Cfn-I
Yup thats the one . I didn't want to post a link to it so people here wouldn't have to listen to that annoying chick screaming in the background.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Huh? You need to slow down a bit and absorb the written word. Of course they can protest there...subject to local bylaws. One of those bylaws prevents camping.
X2...in Edmonton the protesters are squatting on private land...even easier to fix...
Old 11-21-2011, 04:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
X2...in Edmonton the protesters are squatting on private land...even easier to fix...
More publically palitable perhaps but at the end of the day, both are breaking the law and with a little political will, both could be taken care of by a call from the mayor to the police chief. Not often I wish Ralph was back...but I do.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
when does a protest not infringe upon someone else's rights?

I don't work for f @ w so I don't see the sense in camping out here, and this is private property not a public park, 2 different arguments.
No...the same argument is being applied by protesters (but was lost in Toronto today) that say the charter of rights protects my right to protest over all other rights... In Edmonton the protest is on private land. Another protest elsewhere is on Church property. Calgary's is on Public Municipal park property.

In the end the courts decided correctly. You can protest to a limit. You can't use the Charter to trumps others rights. That would clearly be both ridiculous and dangerous. That limit on reasonable was reached a while back. People 99% of them are sick of this already and want these people to grow up. Protest to prove a point...drive it home...then you reach a certain point where it just annoys everyone. Then the whole message is lost. These nuts have lost it in more ways than others.

The 99% understand...it is the 1% that is still camping.

IMHO.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Fabled conspiracy????? you are right about one thing, B.O has being lying about pulling the troops out since his campaign began in 2007......

You had better believe that when the serfs and peasants starting causing trouble, the government would rather have it troops at home then abroad. You are kidding youself if you think the troops are coming home for any other reason.
The USA needs the war machine to keep fighting to help stimulate it's economy, the wars the united states fight generate more jobs and income then most other industries in the US. Try and find a documentary called "why we fight".................war profiteers are not idiots...........the troops are coming home soley to keep the 99% at bay, a revoloution may be on the Horizon and B.O wants to be prepared......
ROTFLMAO.

If you really believe this...well...um...gezz...you see...wow...I just can't think. I really hope you are trolling...pretending and hoping someone will argue just cause. If...maybe the war just started...half way through the start and he pulled everyone back before capturing Saddam...I would probably have to give you the benefit that as crazy scenarios go...it is plausible...but given the information...ya...I am not buying it. Please though provide more specific indicators other than timing you may have...and if you need to discount the gradual troop reductions over the past while prior to these 10,000 people tops...mostly unemployed...many previous homeless and drug users...taking advantage of "safer" places to sleep under the watchful eye of cops.

Na...Out of the 10,000 protesters in north america...probably 8000 are homeless...1800 are professional protesters either not working or in school and 200 are born again activists to the cause.

If the media was not pumping this for viewers...there would be no one camped...period.

How many millions of people are there in north america? Oh ya...I think over 600,000,000...or 0.00167% of the population is protesting the 54% that are paying taxes and the 36% that are working and not paying taxes.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Wouldn't they still have a legal right to protest? Wasn't it you that stated that most people only want to let them protest if they protest on our terms. I guess that your terms are that it is okay for them to protest, as long as they protest on city property, and not on your property. You giving the impression of being such an idealist, I would have thought that you would be gladly volunteering your property ,so that they could continue with their protest legally.
have you been drinking today?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
No...the same argument is being applied by protesters (but was lost in Toronto today) that say the charter of rights protects my right to protest over all other rights... In Edmonton the protest is on private land. Another protest elsewhere is on Church property. Calgary's is on Public Municipal park property.

In the end the courts decided correctly. You can protest to a limit. You can't use the Charter to trumps others rights. That would clearly be both ridiculous and dangerous. That limit on reasonable was reached a while back. People 99% of them are sick of this already and want these people to grow up. Protest to prove a point...drive it home...then you reach a certain point where it just annoys everyone. Then the whole message is lost. These nuts have lost it in more ways than others.

The 99% understand...it is the 1% that is still camping.

IMHO.
you do realize that rights are there to protect the minority right? the majority does not need protection, whether you agree or disagree with the protest that's irrelevant.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM
sheephunter

So tell me again why we allowing a small group of homeless people, the majority of which are metally ill and suffering from addiction, flagrantly break the law. I don't recall this section in the constitution or charter.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Again. Sometimes ya gotta break a law to make a point.

Sheep. I'm betting that if we all followed the law, even laws we find repugnant,
We would still have:

- racial segregation
- only white men voting
- The national energy program

And my personal fav... The long gun registry....
If every long gun owner registered their stuff and paid the reg fees$$ ( which of course, we all did here).... What govt in their right mind would kill that cash cow??

Yup, sometimes ya gotta disobey laws...

Course.. I would never do such.

These guys are sure getting their mileage! Hell, you can't buy this press!
Look at us burnin up the keyboards!!

I suggest we let nature take care of this one.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
you do realize that rights are there to protect the minority right? the majority does not need protection, whether you agree or disagree with the protest that's irrelevant.
Not sure if my post #88 got lost in the high number of posts but I'm just curious as to your answer on it.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Sheep. I'm betting that if we all followed the law, even laws we find repugnant,
We would still have:

- racial segregation
- only white men voting
- The national energy program

And my personal fav... The long gun registry....
If every long gun owner registered their stuff and paid the reg fees$$ ( which of course, we all did here).... What govt in their right mind would kill that cash cow??

Yup, sometimes ya gotta disobey laws...

Course.. I would never do such.

These guys are sure getting their mileage! Hell, you can't buy this press!
Look at us burnin up the keyboards!!

I suggest we let nature take care of this one.
See your arguement falls down in this case. I'm guessing that gun owners that didn't register guns opposed the gun law. Not sure how your voting example fits in there as no one could vote illegally nor could you circumvent the National energy program. Perhaps people that were racially segregated went places they weren't supposed to to make a point and broke the law but if I have this correct, these people aren't protesting their right to camp in a City Park yet that is the law they are breaking. I'm all for the right to protest and effect change as in the examples you've given but to do it legally and within the rights afforded by our very democratic constitution.

I guess to counter your point, how do we decide who has the "right" to break the law in protest and who doesn't? Should those skinheads be afforded the same luxury? It's a slippery slope.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
See your arguement falls down in this case. I'm guessing that gun owners that didn't register guns opposed the gun law. Not sure how your voting example fits in there as no one could vote illegally nor could you circumvent the National energy program. Perhaps people that were racially segregated went places they weren't supposed to to make a point and broke the law but if I have this correct, these people aren't protesting their right to camp in a City Park yet that is the law they are breaking. I'm all for the right to protest and effect change as in the examples you've given but to do it legally and within the rights afforded by our very democratic constitution.

I guess to counter your point, how do we decide who has the "right" to break the law in protest and who doesn't? Should those skinheads be afforded the same luxury? It's a slippery slope.
rosa parks refused to give her seat to a white person on a bus and was arrested for her troubles, what she did was illegal technically speaking.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:44 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
rosa parks refused to give her seat to a white person on a bus and was arrested for her troubles, what she did was illegal technically speaking.
So what about the skinheads???? You really seem to be avoiding that question. Where's the line eastcoast. Who is going to act as the moral compass for allowing illegal activities.

I also think that rosa was breaking the law to point out a law she was not in favour of. Are the illegal campers making the point that camping should be permitted in city parks?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
No you didn't.....but you sure are dodging the question. Perhaps your conviction to protecting the law breakers has more to do with the message than the charter and constitution?

I'll reword a bit so there is no confusion.

Say there was a group of skinhead Nazis, that by law are permitted to protest gay marriage providing that no message of hate is delivered, decided to ramp up that protest by illegally occupying and camping in a city park. Would you be so eager to not have them removed from the park?
gay marriage is now a right in canada under the constitution,a city bylaw is not equal to the constitution in any way so there is a difference in your argument,I think you are splitting hairs really,I don't even care about the protests really doesn't make any difference in my life im arguing constitutionally and people's rights,would I care if skin heads protested gay marriage? probably not that's their right aswell.I don't agree with their message but unlike alot of people I can seperate taste with rights.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
So what about the skinheads???? You really seem to be avoiding that question. Where's the line eastcoast. Who is going to act as the moral compass for allowing illegal activities.

I also think that rosa was breaking the law to point out a law she was not in favour of. Are the illegal campers making the point that camping should be permitted in city parks?
I just answered your question look above.

im saying illegal and legal are grey lines sometimes, this isn't a black and white issue,well it is but only to the people that disagree with the protests anyways,the city has lots of parks people can certainly go to another one.