Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Maiden voyage for the new Chisan skinner.
My wife shot a mule doe and I skinned the deer and cut both tail and head off just using the blade.. results.....
First off the grip shape...it is by far the absolute best grip shape I have ever held or used..I almost forgot I was holding it which is a feat as most knives have my hand cramping withing minutes...
Second the blade shape/ ergonomics... all i can say is amazing. It zips through the hide like a zipper and the tip doesnt poke things it shouldn't. Its ergos are great for skinning as I used almost the entire length of the blade in a stroke and didnt have to put my hands or arms at odd or tiring angles to get the job done.
Lastly is edge retention.. even after cutting through the tail and severing the head and skinning the whole deer it still pops hairs off my arm with the slightest push...no micro chips or rolls. It cuts copier paper along the entire length of the edge with no noticeable catching..... all in all I'm very happy with this blade...Great job Clint!
Fantastic!
Old 10-18-2022, 08:49 AM

Old 10-18-2022, 11:13 AM

Looks dull

Just kidding
Old 10-18-2022, 12:21 PM

Ha!
Old 10-18-2022, 01:49 PM

I really liked the idea of a Havalon because of the scalpel sharpness but held off because the blades are so flimsy. I saw Cabelas has a sale on for a new Jim Shockey edition that has a normal knife blade that folds on the other side. I’ve been really happy with the knife so far! I’ve skinned a handle full of pigs with it and it has worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2022, 02:28 PM

I got to try out my new Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner that I bought because of this thread and the knife buying frenzy that it caused.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:31 PM

Pictures please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
I got to try out my new Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner that I bought because of this thread and the knife buying frenzy that it caused.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Aaaannnnd......?? How did you like it?
Old 10-18-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Aaaannnnd......?? How did you like it?
It worked out real good. Is it worth the price, I don't know. I have skinned a lot of game with a lot less expensive knives and got the job done. This holds an edge better than the others no doubt. Hopefully I can give it another workout next month. The knife wasn't that sharp in my opinion when I got it but never touched it. I have sharpened it now.
posting up a picture of it is beyond me.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:20 AM

Default Semi Skinner

Here's a "semi skinner" I recently completed. Used 1/8 inch thick 1084 Carbon Steel for the blade. The handle is grey/white Inlace Acrylester, with a G10 burgundy liner. Copper pins. And Kydex sheath...

Old 10-21-2022, 08:47 AM

Default Picture for JBE

Old 10-22-2022, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hey fellas. I figured I would be exact about my budget, so in your experience, what skinning knife would you get for $200 or less?

No removable blade jobbies.

I know that is not a high end knife by any stretch, but it is all I got to put toward one at this time.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Grohmann #1 or #4 depending on what other uses you may have in mind and how big your game. Canadian-made.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post
Grohmann #1 or #4 depending on what other uses you may have in mind and how big your game. Canadian-made.
Elk11 gave my son a Grohmann Bird and Trout. We have used it to clean lots of geese and ducks this fall. What a useful knife. Easy to sharpen and takes a wicked sharp edge. Can’t really tell you how long it holds it, as I am sharpening stuff just for fun since I got on this knife kick. Super duper little knife.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Maiden voyage for the new Chisan skinner.
My wife shot a mule doe and I skinned the deer and cut both tail and head off just using the blade.. results.....
First off the grip shape...it is by far the absolute best grip shape I have ever held or used..I almost forgot I was holding it which is a feat as most knives have my hand cramping withing minutes...
Second the blade shape/ ergonomics... all i can say is amazing. It zips through the hide like a zipper and the tip doesnt poke things it shouldn't. Its ergos are great for skinning as I used almost the entire length of the blade in a stroke and didnt have to put my hands or arms at odd or tiring angles to get the job done.
Lastly is edge retention.. even after cutting through the tail and severing the head and skinning the whole deer it still pops hairs off my arm with the slightest push...no micro chips or rolls. It cuts copier paper along the entire length of the edge with no noticeable catching..... all in all I'm very happy with this blade...Great job Clint!
After watching this post I just ordered a semi skinner from Clint. He has made me a filleting knife and a hunting knife a few years ago. Which are awesome.
This new one will be made with magnacut steel.
I am sure that I won't be disappointed.
Do you have a picture? I would be interested in seeing it.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 1 View Post
After watching this post I just ordered a semi skinner from Clint. He has made me a filleting knife and a hunting knife a few years ago. Which are awesome.
This new one will be made with magnacut steel.
I am sure that I won't be disappointed.
Do you have a picture? I would be interested in seeing it.
Super duper nice. What type of scales are you having him put on your new knife?

Post up some pics of the others, as that’s what this thread has become about.

$200 went to bed long ago
Old 10-23-2022, 05:25 PM

Default Knives

https://imgur.com/a/jSFDKQN
Here are the pics of Clint Chisan knives I got a few years ago. Hope the link works
Haha, sorry double pics posted
FZENoRE.jpg

Last edited by James 1; 10-23-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:47 PM

Looks like great knives! And one coming!
Old 10-25-2022, 07:59 AM

Default C.Chisan

My 3 Chisan knives, none ordered specifically, Clint had two in stock and bought one off a member
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C. Chisan Knives-2022.jpg (98.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:19 AM

A neighbor and his wife both filled thier cow elk tags last night. After skinning, quartering, and deboning both cows my knife is no longer able to shave. It's still sharp enough to skin but it wont shave..
Old 10-26-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
A neighbor and his wife both filled thier cow elk tags last night. After skinning, quartering, and deboning both cows my knife is no longer able to shave. It's still sharp enough to skin but it wont shave..
Ok so a full follow up for anyone interested in my Clint Chisan magna cut edge retention.
After skinning and cutting head and tail off a mule deer I used it to gut one cow elk, and skin and quarter two cow elk. My knife dis all the joint separation on all 8 legs, cut the back straps off both cows and cut all eight quarters off. It was late and my knife did make contact on metal a couple of times ( both meat hooks and truck box rail) after finishing the second cow I could not shave hair off my arm but it still sliced meat and would cut hide... after cleaning yesterday i decided to see how bad the edge was. Under a bright light i couldnt see any real chips or flat spots but it wouldnt cut paper.. i used green compound on a leather strop and stropped the blade 6 times on each side that's all it took to get it to shaving sharp again.. not quite what I would call hair popping but certainly shaving. There are no chips or rolls and I decided to actually sharpen so 4 strokes on each side with DMT med and fine stones @17deg then another 20 passes on the strop to get rid of the wire and its hair popping again. For anyone wondering about how the edges of a well built custom knife can hold up... I'd say top notch..
Old 10-26-2022, 03:31 PM

Awesome to hear. Thanks for the report. Can't wait to get mine.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:00 PM

Wow! Nice to hear! Thanks Again!

Quote:
Ok so a full follow up for anyone interested in my Clint Chisan magna cut edge retention.
After skinning and cutting head and tail off a mule deer I used it to gut one cow elk, and skin and quarter two cow elk. My knife dis all the joint separation on all 8 legs, cut the back straps off both cows and cut all eight quarters off. It was late and my knife did make contact on metal a couple of times ( both meat hooks and truck box rail) after finishing the second cow I could not shave hair off my arm but it still sliced meat and would cut hide... after cleaning yesterday i decided to see how bad the edge was. Under a bright light i couldnt see any real chips or flat spots but it wouldnt cut paper.. i used green compound on a leather strop and stropped the blade 6 times on each side that's all it took to get it to shaving sharp again.. not quite what I would call hair popping but certainly shaving. There are no chips or rolls and I decided to actually sharpen so 4 strokes on each side with DMT med and fine stones @17deg then another 20 passes on the strop to get rid of the wire and its hair popping again. For anyone wondering about how the edges of a well built custom knife can hold up... I'd say top notch..
Old 10-27-2022, 05:37 PM

Default Depends!

It's all what you want out of a knife! And what for!
Here I have some knives that I have bought! Some are heavy some are not!
Chisan knife 13.60oz.
Crotts knife 8.25oz.
Chisan knife 6.70oz.
Buck knife 3.40.oz
Love them all!
Thanks! With the sheath!

Last edited by badbrass; 10-27-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:50 PM

I grabbed a Grohmann Short Skinner #103 today, only thing I want to change out is the sheath… being left handed it doesn’t work great for me.

Anyone know someone local to Edmonton who makes custom Kydex sheaths?

LC
Old 10-27-2022, 05:58 PM

^ Phil McCracken of this forum. Don’t remember where he is from though.

Edit: there is his post above apparently and he is from RMH.

Last edited by fishnguy; 10-27-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
It's all what you want out of a knife! And what for!
Here I have some knives that I have bought! Some are heavy some are not!
Chisan knife 13.60oz.
Crotts knife 8.25oz.
Chisan knife 6.70oz.
Buck knife 3.40.oz
Love them all!
Thanks! With the sheath!
The two in the middle look most useful.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:23 PM

These are the knives I use,

Sharpfinger is still my favorite for gutting

A Gentry custom knife that I scout carry on my pack

Not sure what this one is . I traded for it a few years ago.

A North Arm that I picked up in BC when I won my first 3D Archery Nationals.

The Grohmann short skinner I just picked up today.

LC
Old 10-27-2022, 06:36 PM

Speaking of knives anyone familiar with this one? Like what company?

https://imgur.com/a/2pbIZwV

LC
Old 10-27-2022, 06:40 PM

Used a Sharp finger for a long time! Great Knife!
Old 10-27-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Speaking of knives anyone familiar with this one? Like what company?

https://imgur.com/a/2pbIZwV

LC
Looks like the company is MAM? Never heard of them. The web says the following:

The MAM Filmam Ltd. is a Portuguese company whose foundation dates back to the great-grandparents of the current owner-managers (1870). The humbleness and dedication of their ancestors survived the hardships. Thanks to this, MAM Filmam comes to the 21st century with a strong and entrenched market deployment. Today, MAM Filmam continues this heritage, which has always excelled with quality and innovative products.

Not sure if the same because all their knives look different from yours and are pretty cheap, like $15-30 range or so, from what I can see.

CPM420V is I believe the same as CPM90V, but not 100% certain.