Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I read he was 34. Did he die due to virus or viral video?
All evidence is that he died of the virus. One could speculate that he was given the virus intentionally but that still doesn't discount the potential significance of a young person dying from the virus. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Something has spook China enough to take these drastic steps and I highly doubt the death of some elderly and already sickly patients would be that trigger.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:26 AM

Some big time stock propping going on also. Cathay Pacific announced big cuts to flights and yet their stock has been up the last few days LOL. The whole market is being propped but in the hopes they can keep it up until this thing dies out. Many companies are giving warnings on earnings and the impact of China shut down is blatantly obvious yet market is up. Be interesting to see how long they can keep that up.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Agreed. I wonder what government will be the first to tell the truth
Old 02-06-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
All evidence is that he died of the virus. One could speculate that he was given the virus intentionally but that still doesn't discount the potential significance of a young person dying from the virus. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Something has spook China enough to take these drastic steps and I highly doubt the death of some elderly and already sickly patients would be that trigger.
Died of virus but was he treated proper? China doesn’t like when individual people speak and the world listens.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Something doesn't add up in all this. China is a country with billions of people. Supposedly crematoriums are going non stop and hospitals are full. If only 565 have died and 28,000 infected then why would crematoriums be non stop and building new hospitals. The fraction of people sick is minuscule when you compare it to their population so why would the health care system be exhausted? 28000 is a lot in Canada but barely anything in China. It would be like Canada having 500 cases of sick people.
I think their 28,000 number is confirmed cases as in hospitalized and blood testing to confirm coronavirus.

The number of people sick is likely much higher including some that may be having little to no symptoms.

Then you also get everyone that is having a regular cold, flu or a sniffle knocking on hospital doors because they think they might have coronavirus.

It is obviously a tough illness and the duration of sickness is apparently an issue, just look at how many cases are confirmed but still how few are considered recovered.

I think things have been handled pretty well unfortunately it is going to take a while for this virus to pass due to its incubation period and length of illness. Hopefully it doesn't become a serious issue here in Canada because I don't think we could handle it half as well as China has...
Old 02-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Died of virus but was he treated proper? China doesn’t like when individual people speak and the world listens.
Do you have any evidence he wasn't? I don't.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Some big time stock propping going on also. Cathay Pacific announced big cuts to flights and yet their stock has been up the last few days LOL. The whole market is being propped but in the hopes they can keep it up until this thing dies out. Many companies are giving warnings on earnings and the impact of China shut down is blatantly obvious yet market is up. Be interesting to see how long they can keep that up.
Omg the corona virus is scary and getting bad, markets puke Jan 22-31.

Jan 31 till today, Corona virus continues to spread rapidly, death toll rises, whoohoo, yay, everything is awesome, NA markets take back all the losses and then some.

Welcome to the world where stocks never go down due to central bank intervention. We will see how long they can keep it up...
Old 02-06-2020, 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=RavYak;4106570]\

It is obviously a tough illness and the duration of sickness is apparently an issue, just look at how many cases are confirmed but still how few are considered recovered.

[QUOTE]

I'm wondering if aren't a number of people having trouble shaking the virus entirely. Could this be a case where the symptoms ebb and flow for a long time because the body just can't rid itself completely of the underlying virus. I mean people can't shake the AIDS virus. Not saying that is the case but something I worry about. Some have apparently been testing negative which is good but then you hear stories about how unreliable the test have been. Some have tested negative then positive then negative again. Could the virus lay dormant somewhere in the body that the tests can't always detect. Stuff that will all have to be investigated. IMO there are too many assumptions being made based on previous viruses like SARS. Sure this is in the same family as SARS but it can still potentially have vastly different characteristics. Time will tell
Old 02-06-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Omg the corona virus is scary and getting bad, markets puke Jan 22-31.

Jan 31 till today, Corona virus continues to spread rapidly, death toll rises, whoohoo, yay, everything is awesome, NA markets take back all the losses and then some.

Welcome to the world where stocks never go down due to central bank intervention. We will see how long they can keep it up...
I think its a bit of a catch 22 for them. They want to prop the market to keep the good times rolling and that is fine in the short term. In the case of a hurricane or earthquake event I think that can work to smooth a rough patch. But if market fundamentals deviate too far from the outside reality for a prolonged period (crashing company finances and joblessness) then the market manipulation will become blatantly obvious and investors will definitely lose more faith. But they can theoretically manipulate for a long time with China and the US both having never ending money printing machines. All this stuff is just unprecedented and somewhat intriguing. I watch from the sidelines.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Do you have any evidence he wasn't? I don't.
It is China. Evidence..... What evidence........
Old 02-06-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
It is China. Evidence..... What evidence........
Can't discount that so it must be true!
Old 02-06-2020, 12:10 PM

Financial news headlines and for good reason

"The global car industry is bracing for a huge shock from China"
"Oil is in a tailspin over the coronavirus and OPEC might not be coming to the rescue"

DOW is up 100pts LOL
Old 02-06-2020, 05:07 PM

30830 confirmed
635!dead
1615 recovered

Last edited by Flight01; 02-06-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:18 PM

^ Official Chinese numbers for the day are slightly different:

8:05 am Feb 7

73 new deaths, 3,143 new confirmed cases were reported on Feb 6 in the Chinese mainland, said China's National Health Commission. The total infection number soared to 31,161, with 636 deaths as of Feb 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
The next wrap-up for China:

7:34 am Feb 6

73 new deaths, 3,694 new confirmed cases were reported on Feb 5 in the Chinese mainland, said China's National Health Commission. The total infection number soared to 28,018, with 563 deaths as of Feb 5.
Second day in a row there is a decrease in reported cases. 41 new cases on the quarantined ship though.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:36 PM

Forgot to mention that the Chinese are saying that those recovered are still at risk catching the same virus again.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:07 AM

Interesting trends going on. I am looking for past history for % critical. I am just starting to track that today, would be nice to have previous data if anyone knows where to find it/has it, that would be appreciated. Some areas seem to be slowing down, but deaths, and total cases outside of mainland took a pretty big jump.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:02 AM

This guy has been live streaming new for a week or 2 on this and he announces the numbers from the Chinese government
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...agenda+free+tv
it might take awhile to sift through it though but if you can't find anywhere else
Old 02-07-2020, 10:29 AM

What happened to Doctor Li Wenliang. This just got bumped up to another level.

No free speech because it hurts the overlords. Power to the people.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:01 AM

2 Wuhan doctors have passed now.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-07-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
2 Wuhan doctors have passed now.
Of note is that the second doctor was only 51. Just the flu nothing to see here.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 AM

Don't worry about what the Chinese Government says about the numbers.

For a better indicator, just look at the progression on the Cruise Ship in Japan.

Basically, lab rats in cages, with no movement or direct physical contact.

Still the initial 10 positives, went to 20, with infected people being removed to quarantine off ship, and the disease is still spreading.

There is another cruise ship in addition to the two that have made Port and are quarantined, that is run by Holland America.

They are trying to make Port and repeatedly, no Country will allow them to enter. They are in talks with Amsterdam to try and get any nation to let them enter. So far the answer has been no.

The movie Voyage of the Damned comes to mind, but this is biological and not ideological.

Drewski
Old 02-07-2020, 12:05 PM

^ The ship is up to 61 cases now.

Reuters: Coronavirus cases on cruise ship marooned off Japan rise to 61
Old 02-07-2020, 12:06 PM

I’m trying to get the cruise ships straight in my head. ...
1 docked in Japan and 1 in Hong Kong? And 1 denied access to Taiwan harbour?
I believe the ship docked in Japan is up to 41 positive last I saw. But again I’m mixing up which ship Is where.

There you go. Now 61^
Old 02-07-2020, 12:18 PM

“I would be surprised if we don’t see more problems with cruise ships in the coming weeks,” Hunter said.

Transport Minister Kazuyoshi Akaba told reporters Japan had asked another cruise ship, the Westerdam, not to make a port call in the country.

The governor of the U.S. island territory of Guam, in the Pacific Ocean, earlier on Friday rejected a U.S. State Department request to allow the Westerdam to dock there."

I understood the Phillipines also said no.

I'm willing to bet that this Cruise Ship becomes a very big issue. At some point it has to refuel and get re provisioned for the passengers stuck on board. If there is a mechanical failure, it will have to be towed somewhere.

Drewski
Old 02-07-2020, 03:57 PM

Just watched the movie Contagion on Netflix. Obviously it is a movie so things are exaggerated but very interesting to see the parallels to an outbreak like this.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:26 PM

34,394 confirmed
720 dead
2084 recovered
Old 02-07-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Interesting trends going on. I am looking for past history for % critical. I am just starting to track that today, would be nice to have previous data if anyone knows where to find it/has it, that would be appreciated. Some areas seem to be slowing down, but deaths, and total cases outside of mainland took a pretty big jump.

I found graph that lists the Hubei ones https://imgur.com/a/hVFQ9ZW#mPfXR0V
Here is where he gets the stats
http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/tzgg/
This is China's national health board
http://www.nhc.gov.cn/
Old 02-07-2020, 04:33 PM

I wonder how long it will be, before the people on the ships are suicided?

Or the unfortunate sinking/burning/piracy of the ships?

2 weeks in an internal cabin, can not leave for any reason, they may not have to worry about them for long.

Also- who pays for the food and medication? There's gonna be lawsuits I bet.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-07-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:

2 weeks in an internal cabin, can not leave for any reason, they may not have to worry about them for long.

Solitary confinement while wondering if you have been exposed to the virus. Wondering if that is how you’ll spend your final days. Not even a window. Cold turkey from smokes and booze. Ya, probably some people having a rough time.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I bet those effected will really be getting stir crazy. I think the biggest hit however will be to the cruise lines as nobody in their right mind would be getting on a ship (or a plane for that matter) anytime soon. The ships are interesting as they will give true numbers of infected, as apposed to the numbers that the Chinese are releasing. The numbers are also big enough to be statistically significant. They have 3700 people on the Japanese ship and 61 have tested positive so far.