Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
oh well i voted for crossbow being in archey season ..
I also voted for crossbow in archery season but at the very least from October 1 on, and that would include muzzleloaders
Old 11-05-2014, 06:44 PM

I dont hunt with crossbows but Crossbows are a great tool in their own right. I think if you were using iron sights a crossbow should be able to be used in archery season. Anything scoped should be in general season.
crossbows are more primitive than a compound especially the recurved limb style. Even with their "trigger". the trigger has existed for well over a thousand years.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfisher View Post
In keeping with the AO style..

I'll get it in before someone else does.

Anybody that hunts with a crossbow is not a real hunter.. There yah go..
Old 11-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Banned

Nice goat man, Congrats! Nobody here said that a hunter using a crossbow isn't a "real hunter" fact is that we are all hunters. The only question posed was should crossbows be used during archery season and is it bow hunting. Not sure what the count is but I think the majority of people are saying no and cross bow hunting should be restricted from archery season. I could be wrong
Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 PM

I would hazard a guess that those that advocate for crossbow hunting in the archery-only season aren't as passionate about their side of the argument as their opposition.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 PM

It is bow hunting

Just make one set of seasons/dates/tags for all. Some zones in populous areas make sense to be classed as primitive or archery (arrow) only. Why bow guys want to knock crossbow guys or Atal guys bows my mind. (Your welcome)

Choose what you like there's plenty of animals to go around.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:03 PM

From American Hunter magazine.

http://www.americanhunter.org/blogs/...chesterAnswers
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
He concludes that crossbows are easier....... What am I missing? Did he say it isn't a bow?

Because it's 10% easier it is equivalent to a rifle? It's all so silly it's hard to take anyone serious who wants to fight for preferential treatment for archery and deny including crossbows. The same arguments for why apply to crossbows.

What do traditional bow guys say about compound bows??
Old 11-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
He concludes that crossbows are easier....... What am I missing? Did he say it isn't a bow?

Because it's 10% easier it is equivalent to a rifle? It's all so silly it's hard to take anyone serious who wants to fight for preferential treatment for archery and deny including crossbows. The same arguments for why apply to crossbows.

What do traditional bow guys say about compound bows??
You will no sooner see me hunting with a crossbow than you will with a compound bow or a semi auto rifle for that matter.
I'm a stick bow shooter, and as long as i can get in enough time to get my shoulder in shape I'll hunt with a stick bow.
if not, I'll stop bow bunting , simple as that .
I have no desire to shoot those things just because, if someone else does i have no issue with it.
I still don't believe that a crossbow belongs in a real archery season, in a primitive season with traditional muzzle loaders , sure, in a regular season, sure.

Cat
Old 11-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous statement. Again, historical data proves in other jurisdictions that allowing this tool in a general archery season does NOT increase participation in the long term.

Now, to think using a horizontal tool takes less skill is sad... Big flippen deal the sting is held mechanically on this device.
we have how many people looking to legalize crossbows during archery season? Then throw them into 212 or 248, mulie will be on draw and moose will follow soon enough. those rumors are already floating around.
Skill? see the post on pg5. load at the begin of the day sit next to a tree with the crossbow on the trigger sticks....deer walks out aim pull trigger. I can buy and sightin and passbit off and tgat person can hit a bullseye, try do the same with a bow of any sort.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You will no sooner see me hunting with a crossbow than you will with a compound bow or a semi auto rifle for that matter.
I'm a stick bow shooter, and as long as i can get in enough time to get my shoulder in shape I'll hunt with a stick bow.
if not, I'll stop bow bunting , simple as that .
I have no desire to shoot those things just because, if someone else does i have no issue with it.
I still don't believe that a crossbow belongs in a real archery season, in a primitive season with traditional muzzle loaders , sure, in a regular season, sure.

Cat
All the respect in the world for you cat and happy bday!

But what metric do you use to make that call??

Crossbows are more primitive than compounds.
Compound bows are a lot more effective than traditional bows. (For me anyway)

Seems like they fall all on a range of under 50yrds with little chance of follow up shots. I don't hunt with any bow but shoot some. I have respect for them all and can't see why a crossbow makes more sense with rifles than bows.

. If it wasn't for preferential seasons no one would care lol
Old 11-05-2014, 09:46 PM

A cumbersome crossbow shooting a shaft out to 40 yards at 300 fps should share the same season as a scoped .30 cal rifle set up on a bipod spitting out lead at 3400 fps out to 500 yards. They are pretty much the same thing. My point is, a crossbow is much much closer in performance to a rifle than a compound. Lol
Seriously though, I guess if a crossbow had to share a season with one or the other, I think it should be archery, because of those similarities.

Last edited by Talking moose; 11-05-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
All the respect in the world for you cat and happy bday!

But what metric do you use to make that call??

Crossbows are more primitive than compounds.
Compound bows are a lot more effective than traditional bows. (For me anyway)

Seems like they fall all on a range of under 50yrds with little chance of follow up shots. I don't hunt with any bow but shoot some. I have respect for them all and can't see why a crossbow makes more sense with rifles than bows.

. If it wasn't for preferential seasons no one would care lol
The fact remains that you still have to hold the string back under tension with a compound, that is my point.
For the same reason, I have no issue if they were put into a primitive arms season with a muzzle loading rifle and archery gear- it's primitive arms season, not archery .
However, I have also stated before that I do not approve of the new shotguns with totally rifled barrels that are capable of accurate 200 yard shots, simply because Strathcona's season for instance, allows for shotguns and muzzle loaders because they are supposed to be short range weapons.

I shoot traditional muzzle loaders and a follow up shot may even be longer to make that with a cross bow, no idea, never shot a cross bow and have no desire to , just because they do not interest me.
I have also stated before that I hunt with my archery gear and muzzle loaders in the general seasons with no issues, I'm not sure why some people figure they should have them.
However, if they do eventually allow cross bows in the archery seasons, it will not impact me in the least!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-05-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It's not the release or trigger that matters, what does matter is a bow needs to be drawn back before firing and this creates....wait for it.....MOVEMENT! Yes, that's right folks you don't have to move before shooting the crossbow and that's a huge advantage...so much so that the hunters in this province have voted to have the crossbow kept in the rifle season- where it belongs.

Now let's move along....
So the use of blinds, tree stands and camo shouldn't be allowed in archery season either?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHunter View Post
we have how many people looking to legalize crossbows during archery season? Then throw them into 212 or 248, mulie will be on draw and moose will follow soon enough. those rumors are already floating around.
Skill? see the post on pg5. load at the begin of the day sit next to a tree with the crossbow on the trigger sticks....deer walks out aim pull trigger. I can buy and sightin and passbit off and tgat person can hit a bullseye, try do the same with a bow of any sort.
Fear and common sense clouds your judgement. Research the induction of horizontals and get back to me on on how many "extra" bodies fill the early seasons when introduced with vertical tools. You will be happily educated that the difference is not even worth discussing..

The truth of the matter is, anyone who is serious about early season passions are already out in the field. Think about it, this debate has gone on long enough, years, and those who think extra bodies are just waiting for a horizontal season are just kidding themselves.

Verticals are certainly not rocket science, any passionate person can pick one up and enjoy early season.

We should divide the general season too, iron for first half and glass for the remainder... Makes sense hey.... Obviously optics enhance the tool...
Old 11-06-2014, 12:48 AM

Default Yep

Shoots an arrow, with flexed bow limbs, off a string. Technology has advanced every method of hunting pretty much across the board over time.
Should scopes be used in a different season? How about different fishing season's or limits for boats with chartplotters and sonar, that would be interesting!
It's a bow. It's bow hunting.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Shoots an arrow, with flexed bow limbs, off a string. Technology has advanced every method of hunting pretty much across the board over time.
Should scopes be used in a different season? How about different fishing season's or limits for boats with chartplotters and sonar, that would be interesting!
Yup. It has limbs. It has string. It has an arrow, its a 12 gauge!!! Lol
Talking moose wonders about some peoples reasoning. Lol
Old 11-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Banned

LOL, what are you doing up so early! haha
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Nice antelope Randy. Too bad, according to HappyHunter and others, no skill was involved.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
It’s obvious that you’re posting with the assumption that stupidity and ignorance are virtues! I can assure you that for most they are not. Maybe it’s time you stop hitting the moonshine.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:20 AM

I hunt with a Bowtech assassin, not really a bow, can't see an arc in it at all. I would never have enough time to train and stay trained with a traditional stick and string bow.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Nice antelope Randy. Too bad, according to HappyHunter and others, no skill was involved.
Hunting skill, and equipment skill are totally different. I take it your one of the guys that turns this forum into a gong show. Ability of point and shoot and hold time, will make my point. Weight is not a problem when you can still shoot from prone.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
LOL, what are you doing up so early! haha
I go nocturnal untill crossbow season is over.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Agreed,,, harvest statistics from other jurisdictions do not see a great increase in hunter success rates when crossbows are included in archery seasons.

The crossbow naysayers should be more concerned about increasing numbers of hunters during the archery season which is a valid concern ,,,but it does smack of NIMBY!!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 AM

Im all for xguns in the archery season...

With that inclusion, ive been told that the %'s for the archery harvest allotment will increase from 15% to as high as maybe even 45%.. draw times for rifle guys will soar as they watch there draw tags get cut in half....Esrd would have no choice but to split draws and seasons to archery and general....rifle guys would lose opportunity, while xgun hunters gained.

Just be careful what we ask for....you might just get it.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Is a thumb release a trigger? How about back tension release? A release is not a trigger....it may encorporate one but the realize itself is not the "same" as a trigger.

LC
Exactly.... it incorporates a trigger of some sort... whether it is triggered by finger pressure, thumb pressure, or back pressure, or rotational pressure.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:04 AM

I find this pretty amusing because thought towards crossbows being "bows" and legitimate for use in bow seasons seems pretty dependent on the local game laws. Seems for the most part mindset aligns itself to whether the law allows them to be used during bow season. I say mindset is based on the laws and not vice versa because in places where they've changed the laws the outlook on the issue changes afterwards to re-align with the idea.

Is a crossbow a bow? Yes, it uses a bow to propel an arrow and not propelling gasses pushing a bullet.

Is it bow hunting? Yah, I'd say it is. It shares similarities with a firearm, but it behaves a lot more closely to a bow than a firearm in most ways. Similar drive mechanisms, similar sights and triggers (consider the sights and releases on the tech'ed out compound bows with compensators etc etc you can find out there). Ranges and performance are far closer to a bow than a rifle and effects are identical to a bow and nothing like a rifle. Heck, crossbows have existed in parts of the world for thousands of years. In parts of southeast asia the crossbow is the dominant hunting tool with common bows almost not existing.

Is it easier, of course. Is that an issue for me? No, there is lots of game out there if you're willing to leave your vehicle and if it gets people into hunting I think it's great.

I get that it's a charged topic, but sneering at people for their choice of hunting is arrogant at best and almost certainly divisive amongst the hunting and shooting community.... something we really can't afford in a country that's rapidly turning against hunters and firearms owners regardless of their preferred sub-category of hunting tool.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

With that inclusion, ive been told that the %'s for the archery harvest allotment will increase from 15% to as high as maybe even 45%..
Really????
Old 11-06-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

With that inclusion, ive been told that the %'s for the archery harvest allotment will increase from 15% to as high as maybe even 45%.. draw times for rifle guys will soar as they watch there draw tags get cut in half....Esrd would have no choice but to split draws and seasons to archery and general....rifle guys would lose opportunity, while xgun hunters gained.

Just be careful what we ask for....you might just get it.
Really? I really don't think that allowing crossbows in the archery season is going to have as much as 30% more people participating in the archery season. I also don't see why they would have to split the draw. If the area needs to be put on draw, put it on draw and hunt whatever season you want with what ever weapon you want. If your success rate is low with the weapon you choose, so be it.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Really? I really don't think that allowing crossbows in the archery season is going to have as much as 30% more people participating in the archery season. I also don't see why they would have to split the draw. If the area needs to be put on draw, put it on draw and hunt whatever season you want with what ever weapon you want. If your success rate is low with the weapon you choose, so be it.
Allocation of tags to the archery season would need to increase....and those tags have to come from somewhere.

LC