Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
My Doctor Wrote a couple of letters on my behalf trying to get me a crossbow permit quite a few years back and I was refused because I had no amputation,never mind the fact that my shattered elbow made it impossible to draw my bow any more. I for one am very happy they may relax the rules In all honesty though ,with the way the arthritis is starting to take over ,I'm not sure I could operate a crossbow anyway.
If you are nearby, you are welcome to play with my X-bow to see how well you do against a stationary target. I don't have a crank on mine, I just manually pull the string into position. Fire off a PM to me if you wanna take me up on this.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
If you are nearby, you are welcome to play with my X-bow to see how well you do against a stationary target. I don't have a crank on mine, I just manually pull the string into position. Fire off a PM to me if you wanna take me up on this.
Yeah, mine too. I'm just north of Edmonton.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
And what if your injury was permanent in nature and you couldn't use a compound bow anymore? Would you give up archery all together or would you take up a crossbow?
To be honest if i can't shoot compound or my stick bow, then my archery days are over. I'd stick to rifle.

As for the get a permant disability comment before. If it does ever happen to me I'll let you know how I'll feel.

However, please be reminded that I have nothing against the current regulations with the use of crossbows this includes the if your disabled and are valid to get a permit to use a crossbow during the archery season then so be it. I was merely saying in regards to the one post as a bow hunter if I was injured would I get a docs note for a x-bow permit my answer is no.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
To be honest if i can't shoot compound or my stick bow, then my archery days are over. I'd stick to rifle.
Hopefully it never happens but at least you'll have an option if it does. Believe me when I say that if you really like bowhunting you'll probably try a crossbow though.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Hopefully it never happens but at least you'll have an option if it does. Believe me when I say that if you really like bowhunting you'll probably try a crossbow though.
I have no doubt that the thought of trying out wont cross my mind. It has already but I cannot justify to myself it use one during the archery only season. Have I shot one? Yes ,did I like it?yes, squeeze trigger and launch a projectile into a target what's not to like? But as mentioned before as a bow hunter there are several reasons and differences that I wouldnt allow myself to use a x-bow during the archery season. General season?? Possibility i remeber once I said I wouldnt buy a muzzle loader, I own one now and use it during the general season.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
Thanks for the offer ,I actually do have a crossbow ,it is an old Barnet recurve model my dad gave me. It has a lever that you use to draw it back .It is quite light and compact for a crossbow.I haven't taken it down off the wall in a long time but i will be giving it a whirl this spring for sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0476.jpg (37.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Just quickly scanning this thread I didn't see mention of crossbow permits for the disabled. SRD said that the rules regarding this are going to be quite different - to the point that a simple doctor's note stating that an individual hasn't the capability to draw a compound bow is all that will be required. There will be a substantial amount of crossbow permits issued for use during the archery season as early as 2011. This is due to the high percentage that favoured the use of crossbows. It's just a matter of time before Alberta catches up with other provinces regarding the use of crossbows.
I find this interesting..... I also find this disturbing.

Does anyone else have information to add regarding SRD revising rules on Crossbow licences?

Based on Rob's post.

If SRD is interested in expanding crossbow hunting opportunities to the general public, then they should make it available to all, not a doctored paperwork game. Most do agree that the present rules for recieving a crossbow licence are too restrictive for satisfying the intend of the law. Broadening the defintion would be an appropriate action. Opening the door to uncontrollable access is agressous and completely against the moral basis of this law.

I have a big concern with SRD if they are attempting to satisfy a portion of the hunting community through piggybacking on the truely handicapped!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Administrator

This is due to the high percentage that favoured the use of crossbows. I'll head this one off at the pass. That was my statement and a guestimation - not what was spoken. I should have worded that better. My apologies.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM

I would never pretend to be such a purist for a particular sport that I would limit myself and never try different options available to me . I hunt because I like to hunt . if it is with a Rifle /shotgun/ bow(in all their forms) / slingshot ,whatever I love to try different things. Try encouraging your fellow hunters and non hunters to get out there and do this sport in whatever way (legal) that suits them.

Just because your way is not their way ,it doesn't make them wrong . we need to stop damning our fellow hunters just because we disagree with the method they use.

If I cast my own bullets and load my own shells does that mean I am a better hunter than the guy who shoots store bought ammo? No not at all it just means I have different interests than he/she does. I can't look down my nose at them,they are doing what works best for their circumstances.

A stick bow hunter is not better than a compound bow hunter is not better than a crossbow hunter is not better than a rifle hunter is not better than a muzzle loader hunter is not better than a slingshot hunter etc etc... They are all just hunters who employ different methods and just want to be out there hunting.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Without holding hands and singing a round of Koombayah. If people had this amount of passion about preserving land and access rights we would have plenty of "honey holes" to go around.

Unfortunately its easier to argue and toss around rhetoric and really accomplish not much more than "I can pee farther than you cause I wear boxers not jockeys". I think both sides here could agree to disagree on it. Times change and so do tactics for hunting, just wait till they pass a law you can use the 10/22 Add-on barrel that shoots a X-bow bolt and look out.....

Here's to adding a bit of cayenne pepper to the pot with a light stirring motion

Lefty
Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
you can use the 10/22 Add-on barrel that shoots a X-bow bolt and look out.....

Lefty
You can do that???? cool I want one
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Default Crossbows

Hi all .. wow I remember when Traditional Bow hunters said the same thing as most are saying on post about Compound bows .. ironic hey.. food for thought.. from a open minded Hunter .. fads change
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM

Yes...yes you can....crazy isn't it....

http://swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

Don't say i didn't warn you.

Lefty
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Lefty

Cool!! Now that i see that and think about it a little ,I imagine the same thing could be accomplished with a paintball gun ... sorta like a high tec blow gun. Not for hunting cuz that would never fly(pun intended) but I love a new gadget.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Lefty
Sweet anyone want to buy a used Excaliber?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-27-2011, 09:14 PM

The crazy thing about these things is that they are not considered firearms (from what I can tell). As long as they do not fire a projectile more than 500 fps. I have never seen one in the flesh nor do i know what the local F&W would think if they saw you with one.

Just a disclaimer....by no means do I support the use of such a device, from what have read on these they are mostly used to hunt game illegally at night. They seem a little bit "James Bondish" to me.

Lefty
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 PM

I'm still confused in the ETHICAL part of using the x-bow that everyone keeps bringing up.
The only ETHICAL part of ANYTHING used for hunting is the PERSON pulling the trigger or releasing an arrow, and if you can't do it ETHICALY then you SHOULDN'T be hunting .
If anything DISABILITY permits should be giving out for the use of FIREARMS for biggame.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortwheez View Post
I'm still confused in the ETHICAL part of using the x-bow that everyone keeps bringing up.
The only ETHICAL part of ANYTHING used for hunting is the PERSON pulling the trigger or releasing an arrow, and if you can't do it ETHICALY then you SHOULDN'T be hunting .
If anything DISABILITY permits should be giving out for the use of FIREARMS for biggame.
Can't see anything wrong with that idea.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Sweet anyone want to buy a used Excaliber?
NOW I find a used Excalibur! I just bought one but I had to look for 2 months to find it.

By the looks of Jungleboy's old Barnes he might want to have a look though.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
NOW I find a used Excalibur! I just bought one but I had to look for 2 months to find it.

By the looks of Jungleboy's old Barnes he might want to have a look though.
what's wrong with my Barnet?? she's a classic and barely ever been used. spent more time on the wall than in the field.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
what's wrong with my Barnet?? she's a classic and barely ever been used. spent more time on the wall than in the field.
I just traded a similar (Commando) 150 lb pull, 225 fps crossbow that I've hunted with for about 15 years and I bought an Excalibur Exomax. I took quite a few deer with it too. Just don't shoot anything past 30 yds because you'll just wound it or not recover it. I used a trail tracker string tied under the broadhead and a container holding the string taped on my crossbow. The bolt wouldn't pass through so I'd just follow the string to the deer. It worked great especially when you had to track after dark in the bush. I'll see if I can find info on it and send it to you if you want.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 AM

You know I used to have the same opinion about Muzzle loader season up here in my home Zone. We start a Muzzle loader season up here and we will have every one out shooting and killing way more deer. The first couple years that is started yes there were more hunters out trying to kill anything that moved with their new shiny muzzle loaders. Third year comes around and fewer people around hunting with them. Once they figured out that they are not the huge killing machine that they thought they were they lost interest and many were put in gun closet and never taken back out.

I honestly hated the Idea on the Crossbows myself, Mostly Selfish reasons more than logical ones. Now I'm not so sure anymore. I honestly think that once people try them and shoot them they will realize that they are not the killing machines that people make them out to be. I"m an Avid Bow hunter I have taken almost 40 big game animals in the last 4 years with my bow. Will I change over to a cross bow if they are allowed......Heck NO to me bow hunting is about getting closer to the animal, the more I do it the more I want to hunt with my longbow and go after them. I really don"t think that Ill be affected by the crossbows where I hunt. I hunt on mostly my own land and on neighbors lands who give me sole access. If it gets more hunters out there so we have a stronger voice as hunters then Im for it.

Will the average Xbow shooter be effective with the Xbow Maybe if they put in the time. Will I ever Hunt with a Xbow? Possibly if I cannot pull my recurve, longbow or Compound back again, but until then No Ill stick with what I have.

I'll go out on a limb and say that probably after two or three seasons like it was with the Muzzle loaders that it will peter off and many will lose interest because it is not the sure thing they thought it was. It is no different between rifle hunters, muzzle loader hunters, Archers or any other type of sport, if we do not practice we will not be effective and we will lose interest.

I know Ill get a whole bunch of Crap from my Die hard archery friends about this post, but I don"t really care anymore.

Life is to Dam Short to be bickering all the time, get over your differences and enjoy your life as hunters. After all we are all hunters and we need to stick together.

Oh and by the way I never got the Questionaire from SRD to fill out and send in. I would have voted Neutral if it had that on it.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bo View Post
Herro...

I have been a long proponent of a separate season for x-bows, I really wish that such a resolution would have been more widely accepted. I think that there may have been some animosity in regard to the rifle season starting later, or the archery season ending sooner to accommodate such a season, at least IMO. No one wants to lose any ground.

The term uneducated has been thrown around, heres my take. In this sense, uneducated means that 1) people are unaware about the true limitations about x-bows (really only one shot, awkward, heavy, loud, etc...) and mis represent them as 100m silent death bringers (which they kind of could be in the right hands). x-bows really are a 50m'ish tool (in practical hunting scenarios), they are subject to the same velocity and energy loses as regular archery tackle. However the ability of learning to shoot them accurately is by no means mis represented... its not that hard.
2) People are unaware that the 'general season' may end because of it, this is not a guarantee, however the number of archers would increase and even if the success rate remained equal the higher number results in un-doubltably more harvests and certain species will be given priorities and draws would more than likely be implemented (Bull moose and antlered mule deer as an ex. as these are two species that are already on draw).

X-bows do deserve a spot at the table, however there seems to be much animosity about them in the Alberta archery community, instead of forcing them into this community, why not create a new one? That is why i have always been a proponent of this separate season, a spot at the table. Would I ever buy a crossbow? maybe, probably, wouldn't say no. Is that x-bow ever going to replace my bows? Hell NO!

A x-bow has many similarities to a bow, but that doesn't make it a bow, just like how its stock and trigger don't make it a rifle.

Everybody needs to grow up, x-bows are here and they won't be going away any time soon. There definitely needs to be more education about them.

x2, very well said....even though it hasn't been passed this time, there absolutely will be a crossbow season eventually, so coventional bowhunters, enjoy for now because your exclusive rights to the first two months won't last forever
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Just quickly scanning this thread I didn't see mention of crossbow permits for the disabled. SRD said that the rules regarding this are going to be quite different - to the point that a simple doctor's note stating that an individual hasn't the capability to draw a compound bow is all that will be required. There will be a substantial amount of crossbow permits issued for use during the archery season as early as 2011. This is due to the high percentage that favoured the use of crossbows. It's just a matter of time before Alberta catches up with other provinces regarding the use of crossbows.
No Kidding? Well that is interesting...
Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
You know I used to have the same opinion about Muzzle loader season up here in my home Zone. We start a Muzzle loader season up here and we will have every one out shooting and killing way more deer. The first couple years that is started yes there were more hunters out trying to kill anything that moved with their new shiny muzzle loaders. Third year comes around and fewer people around hunting with them. Once they figured out that they are not the huge killing machine that they thought they were they lost interest and many were put in gun closet and never taken back out.

I honestly hated the Idea on the Crossbows myself, Mostly Selfish reasons more than logical ones. Now I'm not so sure anymore. I honestly think that once people try them and shoot them they will realize that they are not the killing machines that people make them out to be. I"m an Avid Bow hunter I have taken almost 40 big game animals in the last 4 years with my bow. Will I change over to a cross bow if they are allowed......Heck NO to me bow hunting is about getting closer to the animal, the more I do it the more I want to hunt with my longbow and go after them. I really don"t think that Ill be affected by the crossbows where I hunt. I hunt on mostly my own land and on neighbors lands who give me sole access. If it gets more hunters out there so we have a stronger voice as hunters then Im for it.

Will the average Xbow shooter be effective with the Xbow Maybe if they put in the time. Will I ever Hunt with a Xbow? Possibly if I cannot pull my recurve, longbow or Compound back again, but until then No Ill stick with what I have.

I'll go out on a limb and say that probably after two or three seasons like it was with the Muzzle loaders that it will peter off and many will lose interest because it is not the sure thing they thought it was. It is no different between rifle hunters, muzzle loader hunters, Archers or any other type of sport, if we do not practice we will not be effective and we will lose interest.

I know Ill get a whole bunch of Crap from my Die hard archery friends about this post, but I don"t really care anymore.

Life is to Dam Short to be bickering all the time, get over your differences and enjoy your life as hunters. After all we are all hunters and we need to stick together.

Oh and by the way I never got the Questionaire from SRD to fill out and send in. I would have voted Neutral if it had that on it.
x3 Well said Trav! As an ex-compound bow hunter turned crossbow hunter I agree 100% with what you're saying. People's perception will undoubtedly change once the reality of the limitations sinks in. Anyone that runs to the doctor to get a note and buys a new crossbow because he figures that it's easy will be very disappointed.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM
sheephunter

I suspect the number of crossbow hunters will increase with this change. I definitely know a few people that will be shooting one in archery season that can't now. Hopefully the government uses this as an opportunity to track harvest numbers and success rates with crossbows.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM

I am under no illusions that a crossbow hunt will be a slam dunk animal in the freezer hunt ,But I am quite certain it will be a successful hunt. I love the hunt ,getting an animal is an awesome feeling but not the only way to measure success.
When I used to hunt with my recurve, I never did get an animal (came close a couple times ) I never released an arrow at a deer but I really did enjoy being out there with the bow ,early in the season.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 PM

As with many other things in our society these days, everyone wants the quick fix, easy option....agree with TRAV, after a couple years there would be a decline in crossbow use as some find out how close you really need to be, and how hard that can be! Lots of new archers find this out very quickly as well. It's a skill , no different from any other, the more practise , the more proficient ! Be interesting to see what the future brings !
Old 02-28-2011, 05:48 PM

I think they should open a muzzle loader season in october! What do you guys think?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute now. Countless times you guys said it would be okay if the rules for a disability crossbow permit were reduced in discussions on this forum prior to the poll results. Now that the SRD poll results are out and in your favour, this one caveat is now no good? Unbelieveable!
I was one of them that agreed with the disabled permit. I'm ok with disabled people being granted permits. I think the concern some are having is the administration of this.
What's the answer? How can it be administered correct and fair? I don't have any immediate suggestions, but my initial thoughts on merely requiring a doctor's note does seem like a free-for-all. Perhaps they've put more thought to it than that and will have guidelines for medical professionals to follow...I don't know.
Will the health care provider really care about the implications? If I go in with a sore shoulder will I be granted a doctors note?
Great for the legit folks, but we all know that this will be abused as well.