Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM

I have a theory and please correct me if I am wrong. But when I first started hunting, antlered mule deer was a general tag throughout Alberta. In some zones any antlered mule deer was considered legal as long as it carried the required minimum six inches of antler on at least one side. In other areas, there was an imposed minimum number of points on one antler of three. When these three points were counted as per instructions in the regulations the brow tine was not counted as a point. A barely legal deer could have either three or four points on at least one antler(if you count the browtine) and this deer would have been called a three point by the definition of the hunting regulations. Over time this method of counting points just naturally was extended to include whitetails as well with the brow tines excluded from the count. I don't agree with the end result, but I think that is how it came about.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatskin View Post
I have a theory and please correct me if I am wrong. But when I first started hunting, antlered mule deer was a general tag throughout Alberta. In some zones any antlered mule deer was considered legal as long as it carried the required minimum six inches of antler on at least one side. In other areas, there was an imposed minimum number of points on one antler of three. When these three points were counted as per instructions in the regulations the brow tine was not counted as a point. A barely legal deer could have either three or four points on at least one antler(if you count the browtine) and this deer would have been called a three point by the definition of the hunting regulations. Over time this method of counting points just naturally was extended to include whitetails as well with the brow tines excluded from the count. I don't agree with the end result, but I think that is how it came about.

That very well could be the case as to where the whitey thing came about. The main thing is that very few actually adopted the method with whiteys and the majority still count the brows on white tail. good theory though.