Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL I knew what to expect. After all, I've seen plenty of "Which rifle should I buy for big game hunting in Alberta" threads. Still really enjoying and valuing everyone's contributions. And hey, when is the last time a thread went 4+ pages without a pizzing match?

One other question... Now I know the answer depends on a whole bunch of different factors, but assuming no super hard driving, regular maintenance, occasional recreational towing within all specification limits, few trips into the mountains.... how many km's might you expect out of a diesel 350/3500 versus a gas model 350/3500 before things start going and you have to sell it or replace the engine or transmission? How long would you reasonably expect it to last? Talking kms, not time.
My F350 6.0 Needed $10,000 at 160,000.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Banned

Default oki ...

Quote:
how many km's might you expect out of a diesel 350/3500 versus a gas model 350/3500 before things start going and you have to sell it or replace the engine or transmission? How long would you reasonably expect it to last? Talking kms, not time.
a diesel well out last a gas 2:1

try and find a dodge 2500 cummins 6.7 look for 2010 and up, these days might be able to pick one up for $28 - $32 K used with 100K kms on it.

with that truck, you'll have lots of options for trailers and boat scenarios.

At 100K you`ll need to make sure the diffs - transfer case and tranny have been serviced, brakes will need to be looked at ... but very minimal maintenance requirments for that truck at 100K - lots of guys are getting 500 thousand plus hard k`s out of those trucks (provided their servicing to spec)

if you inclined, look for the 4 door version, very roomy !

Last edited by TBD; 03-04-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I put my camper on a 22' car hauler. Have enough room behind the camper for 4 quads or 3 sleds and have delta boxes on the front and sides for tons of storage. Get a aluminum fishing boat and put it on top of the camper, a bit of a pain in the azz but best of all worlds and no B train. And you would still have the box of the truck. Those drop in campers are HEAVY, it sucked having it in the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoPerchWrestling View Post
LET'S SEE A PIC
Yeah!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Banned

The only thing that will last on a smoker is the motor, everything else has the same life as a gas job. An injection pump for a diesel costs the same as a new BB chev motor. You cannot buy a diesel to save money as it won't happen, maintenance is higher, operation is higher, fuel mileage is better, and the new electronics and emission crap is brutal. I can do the brakes on my Volvo class 8 cheaper than my Dodge and I have a truck that is made for turning miles loaded. For a weekend warrior go gas, for full time pulling heavy go class 8, for any diesel go pre-emission or take your chances and delete a new one.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
a diesel well out last a gas 2:1

try and find a dodge 2500 cummins 6.7 look for 2010 and up, these days might be able to pick one up for $28 - $32 K used with 100K kms on it.

!
Thanks! I've never been a Ram fan, GM is my preferred. Oldest son has an F-150 and it's OK. But youngest son just bought a 2014 Ram 1500 and I actually sort of like it. But from what I have read here and a couple other places, seems to be a lot of support for the Cummins as probably the best diesel engine. I've seen a few 2013-2014 rigs with under 60,000 km in a price range I'm willing to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich View Post
The only thing that will last on a smoker is the motor, everything else has the same life as a gas job. An injection pump for a diesel costs the same as a new BB chev motor. You cannot buy a diesel to save money as it won't happen, maintenance is higher, operation is higher, fuel mileage is better, and the new electronics and emission crap is brutal. I can do the brakes on my Volvo class 8 cheaper than my Dodge and I have a truck that is made for turning miles loaded. For a weekend warrior go gas, for full time pulling heavy go class 8, for any diesel go pre-emission or take your chances and delete a new one.
hmmm and back I go again. LOL The truck might be pulling a trailer 10 times a year. We aren't every weekend campers. A boat, more often, but anything can pull a 16 ft boat that weighs under 2000 lbs.

sheesh....
Old 03-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Default Advice from those with trialers, campers, boats

Quote:
Thanks! I've never been a Ram fan, GM is my preferred. Oldest son has an F-150 and it's OK. But youngest son just bought a 2014 Ram 1500 and I actually sort of like it. But from what I have read here and a couple other places, seems to be a lot of support for the Cummins as probably the best diesel engine. I've seen a few 2013-2014 rigs with under 60,000 km in a price range I'm willing to handle.

hmmm and back I go again. LOL The truck might be pulling a trailer 10 times a year. We aren't every weekend campers. A boat, more often, but anything can pull a 16 ft boat that weighs under 2000 lbs.

sheesh....

I don't think anyone has mentioned anything about fuel mileage... If you're towing, the diesel will for sure get better fuel mileage than a comparable gasser.

My trailer weighs in at +12K, and the lie-o-meter on the truck keeps telling me 16 mpg when towing in the flats between Calgary and Brooks...

J.