Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Marksmanship trumps velocity , bullet weight, whatever.....
Cat
Cat, right on. That sums it up right there.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, I have killed at least a dozen bull moose with a light calibre and bullet (.270 Win 130 grain bullet) and several more with bigger calibres. I have lost zero, that's right, zero moose. I have lost deer but not many. Big cannons are not required if you can shoot and know your limitations. Most hunters I know should concentrate more on shooting than worrying about what they are shooting.

Here is some of the proof.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=moose+club
Old 05-12-2010, 02:57 PM

This is what happens to a moose when you shoot it with a .25-06

to to oh crap it got away to hmm wait a second its dead
Old 05-12-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
This is what happens to a moose when you shoot it with a .25-06

to to oh crap it got away to hmm wait a second its dead
LOL
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Big cannons are not required if you can shoot and know your limitations. Most hunters I know should concentrate more on shooting than worrying about what they are shooting.
Amen! If you shoot it well use it. If guys say its to small just laugh in their face and proove them wrong.
SG
Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Default ok

am back ..but too much talk about small calibers doin the job..Hal ..would u be ok takin me on a moose guided hunt with a 25 oddLY 6 ..and tell me where to shoot the animal after u take the wieght , distance , wind , chit man I should get a 25-06- and roam the world ..HAL ..WHY DO U THINK THEY make BIGGER CALIBERS.. now dont get nasty ..just answer if the 25-06 will do ..and UUU ELKhunter ..sorry if u had a tough time ,, and I mean that !!..well ..I think all u 7mm , 30-06, 308, and bigger should just trade in and get a smaller less kicking gun ..I call bs on caliber verus shot and bullet vs placement ..YA make a good bullet and the 243"s enter"S the big game WORLD.....
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
am back ..but too much talk about small calibers doin the job..Hal ..would u be ok takin me on a moose guided hunt with a 25 oddLY 6 ..and tell me where to shoot the animal after u take the wieght , distance , wind , chit man I should get a 25-06- and roam the world ..HAL ..WHY DO U THINK THEY make BIGGER CALIBERS.. now dont get nasty ..just answer if the 25-06 will do ..and UUU ELKhunter ..sorry if u had a tough time ,, and I mean that !!..well ..I think all u 7mm , 30-06, 308, and bigger should just trade in and get a smaller less kicking gun ..I call bs on caliber verus shot and bullet vs placement ..YA make a good bullet and the 243"s enter"S the big game WORLD.....
Well don't know what your name was before ya got banned. But ya make pretty well no sense.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bud you dont know nothing I bet you live in manitoba and hunt with a .223.As for .243 to .338 every one of them will kill a moose some better than others.You sure can use a .243 or a 25-06 for moose.I have killed a few with a 243 and I never had to chase them.I also shot through the front shoulder to kill the biggest one.So go and stir the pot somwhere else.Even if you hunt with your 338 I bet you have not killed a moose with it.

Also moose are the biggest whips. You could shoot the with a 22 and they would go lay down.I still think you have never killed a moose.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Are you impaired or just learning grammar?

I am SO damn confused right now...
Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Are you impaired or just learning grammar?

I am SO damn confused right now...
Dont worry after his meltdown he will be alright in a minute.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 PM

quite the conundrum....
Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

Also moose are the biggest whips. You could shoot the with a 22 and they would go lay down.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'll agree with that. At least that's been my experience.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You are reading WAY too much into this, or you are just trolling!
I'll simplfy it for you - if you would an animal with a bad hit, it does not matter what cartridge or calibre you are using.
Marksmanship trumps velocity , bullet weight, whatever....Cat
Yeah, I was having away too much fun last night. But, believe it or not I was making a valid point in responding to your post about marksmanship trumps all. I don't care who anyone is, sooner or later they'll make a bad shot. What I was trying to say in my own special way was that it would be much better making a bad shot with a 300 win mag over a 25-06.

Of course hitting a moose through both lungs with a 25-06 is better than gut shooting it with a 300 win mag. To me, that is blatantly obvious and I doubt that too many people would argue that. But, I don't think that a 25-06 round will do as much damage as a 300 win mag round so I can't agree with "if you would an animal with a bad hit, it does not matter what cartridge or calibre you are using." There are allot of different scenerios, some it wouldn't make a difference (spine), but I think that allot would favour the 300 win mag (shoulder).

Also, IMHO a lighter caliber limits the types of shots that you should take as opposed to a heavier caliber. If a big bull moose is 1/4 forward to you walking into the bush and you have the self discipline to not take a shot because you figure that your 25-06 might not penetrate the chest/shoulder then go for it. If you can't wait for the perfect shot then get a heavier caliber rifle. For me, given the same situation, I wouldn't hesitate to let him have it with my 300 win mag.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yeah, I was having away too much fun last night. But, believe it or not I was making a valid point in responding to your post about marksmanship trumps all. I don't care who anyone is, sooner or later they'll make a bad shot. What I was trying to say in my own special way was that it would be much better making a bad shot with a 300 win mag over a 25-06.

Of course hitting a moose through both lungs with a 25-06 is better than gut shooting it with a 300 win mag. To me, that is blatantly obvious and I doubt that too many people would argue that. But, I don't think that a 25-06 round will do as much damage as a 300 win mag round so I can't agree with "if you would an animal with a bad hit, it does not matter what cartridge or calibre you are using." There are allot of different scenerios, some it wouldn't make a difference (spine), but I think that allot would favour the 300 win mag (shoulder).

Also, IMHO a lighter caliber limits the types of shots that you should take as opposed to a heavier caliber. If a big bull moose is 1/4 forward to you walking into the bush and you have the self discipline to not take a shot because you figure that your 25-06 might not penetrate the chest/shoulder then go for it. If you can't wait for the perfect shot then get a heavier caliber rifle. For me, given the same situation, I wouldn't hesitate to let him have it with my 300 win mag.
So that moose is quartering towards you walking from your left to your right. You are confident that because you have a .300mag that you will kill him by a shot to the point of the shoulder. But when you pull that trigger you pull a little left now you just shot him back from the shoulder angling back into the guts. Maybe you find him maybe you dont. Whats more ethical? The guy with the 25-06 that was relying on the proper shot and let it walk or the guy with the .300 that was relying on the caliber not the placement and now has a wounded moose running around.

Lots of different scenarios like I said, if your planning on having a bad shot before you shoot chances are you tak them bad shots.

SG
Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dave you forgot if you use Barnes bullets the blow right through all of that bone even with a 243 or a 25-06.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
So that moose is quartering towards you walking from your left to your right. You are confident that because you have a .300mag that you will kill him by a shot to the point of the shoulder. But when you pull that trigger you pull a little left now you just shot him back from the shoulder angling back into the guts. Maybe you find him maybe you dont. Whats more ethical? The guy with the 25-06 that was relying on the proper shot and let it walk or the guy with the .300 that was relying on the caliber not the placement and now has a wounded moose running around.

Lots of different scenarios like I said, if your planning on having a bad shot before you shoot chances are you tak them bad shots.

SG
x2 I dont buy that you just shoot to wound somthing either.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:10 PM

Wow this thread has gone quite crazy .lol

I would hunt every animal in North America with a 25-06 and i am sure it has been done many times over.

Shoot a quality bullet and pick your shots and the animals big and small will die just fine..

Anyone who thinks a moose is a wimpy animal to put down has not hunted them very much in my opinion...

Sure I have seen some one shot kills but have also seen some bulls soak up the lead as well..
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Wow this thread has gone quite crazy .lol

I would hunt every animal in North America with a 25-06 and i am sure it has been done many times over.

Shoot a quality bullet and pick your shots and the animals big and small will die just fine..

Anyone who thinks a moose is a wimpy animal to put down has not hunted them very much in my opinion...

Sure I have seen some one shot kills but have also seen some bulls soak up the lead as well..
This thread is somthing else.

As per your post

I have killed 8 moose with my bow and 3 with a gun.One with a 243 and 2 with a 7mm.The one that was shot with 7mm needed more than one shot.The one with the 243 went down instantly. I know they aer tuff animals but most are whimpy (or seems like it). I hit a limb on a tree and shot back and it went30 yards and layed down and started moaning.So I walked up and put another arrow in to it.All others went not far at all and died.Maybe all of those northeren moose are tougher then the southeren one.But trust me I know my stuff when it comes to them.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post

SG
You are assuming that the guy with the 25-06 is going to have enough discipline to not take the shot. But he won't. My experience tells me that if he's hunting moose with a 25-06 he'll take the shot if that's the only shot that he has. One week in the bush + one bull moose = one shot at him. I like my chances better with the 300 win mag over his with the 25-06. If the shot is good it's done. If I hit the gut like you said with a bad shot, the bullet will penetrate into his hind quarter. Even gutshot I would likely still get him, because he won't go far. If you don't find him then you likely took off after him too fast and chased him farther into the bush.

I don't know what you mean by "if your planning on having a bad shot before you shoot chances are you tak them bad shots." Are you saying that you will "will" yourself into taking a bad shot? That might hold true for paper shooters but believe me when I get a moose in my scope I'm not planning on a bad shot!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
With a 25-06?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are assuming that the guy with the 25-06 is going to have enough discipline to not take the shot. But he won't. My experience tells me that if he's hunting moose with a 25-06 he'll take the shot if that's the only shot that he has. One week in the bush + one bull moose = one shot at him. I like my chances better with the 300 win mag over his with the 25-06. If the shot is good it's done. If I hit the gut like you said with a bad shot, the bullet will penetrate into his hind quarter. Even gutshot I would likely still get him, because he won't go far. If you don't find him then you likely took off after him too fast and chased him farther into the bush.

I don't know what you mean by "if your planning on having a bad shot before you shoot chances are you tak them bad shots." Are you saying that you will "will" yourself into taking a bad shot? That might hold true for paper shooters but believe me when I get a moose in my scope I'm not planning on a bad shot!
You guys are pretty funny. Sure if the guy with the 25-06 makes that decision to take that shot its probably not the best decision but that in no way is the fault of having a lower caliber.
As far as the planning a bad shot... so far the biggest reason that has been posted is that a larger caliber is better than the 25-06 because it will work better if there is a bad shot. To me that is planning ahead for a bad shot.

You stated it well when you said you like your chances better with a .300win
because you may only have one shot on a hunt. You have shown exactly what I have stated. You shoot a bigger caliber so you dont care if you gut shoot him because you might still find him because he shouldnt go far.
You have just stated that you would take that less than perfect shot because it may be your only shot on that hunt. Thats the type of hunter I dont agree with. Sure with those types of shots its probably better to have a large caliber. But I would rather go home empty handed than have a wounded animal.
Thank you for prooving my point. A 25-06 will work well with well placed shots. For the guys that are gunna take that non ideal shot because it may be the only shot they will get and they arent gunna go home with out at least shooting, a bigger caliber will be a better choice.
SG
Old 05-13-2010, 08:44 AM

And further to Sheepguide's explanation, moose will generally present you with a proper shot opportunity if you are patient and don't panic. It is rare that you have to rush a shot at a moose if you hunt them properly. By this I mean you actually hunt, call or stalk them instead of jumping out of a truck to take a quartering shot as they are running into the bush away from you. This year for example, I spotted two big bulls and a cow from a long ways away. I took an hour to stalk to within 80 yards of them but they stepped off the line into the bush. I could have taken a freehand shot at a longer range through willows but I didn't. Once at 80 yards one soft call brought one of the bulls back onto the cutline broadside and I killed him with one bullet just behind the shoulder. Once he went down the other bull and the cow walked back out on the line and stood at 40 yards watching me for a minute or so. Patience is the key with moose, there is just no need what so ever to take a bad shot.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is rare that you have to rush a shot at a moose if you hunt them properly.
there are many ways to hunt moose and YOUR way is not neccessarily the PROPER way for everyone. you do realize that a moose can be seen from one mountain range to another and stalked for example. a swirl of the wind can send a moose running when you have stalked within 75 yards but cant quite get a shot. that trotting moose can still be killed quite cleanly...and that shot can come from what i would consider a proper hunt. yes it was me. that was in kananaskis country a few years back and that moose cartwheeled from a .270 win. one of the few times i really enjoyed having horses along.

i dont know if if was your intent axe, but your post sounds pretty condescending.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i dont know if if was your intent axe, but your post sounds pretty condescending.
No, this was not my intent to be condescending. I was just saying that in general I believe that moose are one of the big game animals that will give you an opportunity to get into a good position if you are patient with them. Of course there are situtions like you described but in general moose are not as flighty as say deer or elk. From my experience which is considerable I will alway wait for a good shot instead of risking a questionable shot. That strategy will pay off nine times out of ten. It works for me.

I am not telling you or anyone how to hunt moose. Hunt them however you want. For me, I choose to pass up questionable shots and in the context of this thread a bigger gun isn't going to help you compensate a poor shot as others have mentioned. A 25-06 with a good bullet will be fine on any ethical shot on a moose. Are there better choices? Yes.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

So, ALL hunters that hunt moose with a smaller caliber rifle like a 25-06 actually hunt so the moose presents them a perfect shot to take and if it's not perfect then they won't take it. And, ALL hunters like me, that hunt moose with a larger caliber like a 300 win mag are unethical gut shooting truck hunters.

I think that you might be able to determine what he's hunting by the caliber that he's using but there's no way that you can determine how he hunts by the caliber that he uses. C'mon, think about it!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM

Wow HunterDave, you've got this so twisted around that I can't even begin to try to understand what you are saying. Good luck moose hunting. Pound dem big tough old moose wit dem big magnums, yeehaw! No matter where you hit em, day gunna die.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
So, ALL hunters that hunt moose with a smaller caliber rifle like a 25-06 actually hunt so the moose presents them a perfect shot to take and if it's not perfect then they won't take it. And, ALL hunters like me, that hunt moose with a larger caliber like a 300 win mag are unethical gut shooting truck hunters.

I think that you might be able to determine what he's hunting by the caliber that he's using but there's no way that you can determine how he hunts by the caliber that he uses. C'mon, think about it!
Sorry dave , but if you look at the first 7 replies to this thread it pretty much sums it up with the 25-06 being bang on. I believe the question was raised by the owner who HIMSELF is in doubt and looking for support to keep the 25-06 for all ranges , terrain and angles for moose hunting ..Also u cannot tell what anyone is hunting with by caliber , so trade that 300 for a 25-06 and have fun in camp ...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

by the way I AGREE where Dave is goin with this !! so keep this thread goin ..lol
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Just bought my third 25-06 on the weekend(sold the other 2). While I didn't buy it for Moose hunting, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on one if the conditions were right. But I'm with you Dave, when I go Moose hunting I usually grab my 300 mag. I don't believe you can kill them too dead with a larger gun, but might come a day when I don't appreciate the recoil anymore .(that day isn't too far off)
Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wow HunterDave, you've got this so twisted around that I can't even begin to try to understand what you are saying. Good luck moose hunting. Pound dem big tough old moose wit dem big magnums, yeehaw! No matter where you hit em, day gunna die.
Ya gotta read through the threads on this page before mine for my post to make any sense to you.

Don't worry about my/our abilities to take moose in our camp, I/we usually do pretty good filling our tags. In the past 10 years or so I've personally harvested four moose......One with a 30-06 180 gr bullet, one with an arrow and two with a 12 gauge slug (none from a truck btw ). I was even with a fella that took one with a 25-06 one year. and another fella that took one with a 30-30 Winchester . Hopefully this year I'll get drawn and if I don't get one with my bow then I'll pound them not so tough moose with the big 'ol 300 win mag.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
..Also u cannot tell what anyone is hunting with by caliber , so trade that 300 for a 25-06 and have fun in camp ...
Yeah, you can....Ask yourself what the smallest caliber you need to hunt big game with is? If it's a varmint caliber (ie. 223 or 22-250) then he might be hunting coyotes and shouldn't be hunting big game with it. Likewise, I think that it is reasonable to assume that someone with a .22 or 17 hmr might be hunting gophers/coyotes. You certainly can't determine what type of hunter he is by the caliber that he's carrying though. Make sense?

I won't be trading my 300 win mag in for a 25-06 to hunt my moose with anytime soon. I bought it specifically for that purpose and IMHO I think that it is a better choice. If a 25-06 was all that I had or could handle then that's what I'd be using though.