Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 PM

Few things bother me quite so much as the discussion after this article. I do not take the article as the gossple truth. I believe the article to be true to a large extent, but it may contain personal bias. My hair is long, I ride a motorcycle, and I own fire arms. When you say it is ok to bend the law to abuse a citizen of this country merely because of the way he looks or the people he has associated with, I am saddened. The Jappanese in this country were picked on in the 1940s merely because of the way they looked. Gun owners in this country have been picked on in this country because we are different, we own fire arms. To those who say it is ok to pick on this biker, I must ask, couldnt you find a native or a black to pick on? I had thought we had gotten over this mind set but apparently I was wrong. To those of you who would hassle some one because of the way they look, I salute you, ZIEG HIEL.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Charge him for the stuff he is suspected of doing. It Says he has no record. he's 78. in all those years of being a badass the cops couldn't make one charge stick? So now harass him with some chicken**** actions.
He must have been a terrible threat to make him lie on the floor for 5 hour with broken ribs.

I'll support the cops when they are right but when they are not and pull some of the crap they have lately they need to be locked up.

Serve and protect, not harass and assault.
x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000

" the gun registry " just as much of a joke as some of the cops involved with Johnny.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 AM

its the attitude that cops have now that is getting them into trouble that there the law and you are going to do as they tell you or they will make you do as told and that is the attitude a lot of them have when just giving you a speeding ticket. and now that most wear there vest most of the time think there bullet proof the vest maybe but it only covers a bout a third of there body
Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Few things bother me quite so much as the discussion after this article. I do not take the article as the gossple truth. I believe the article to be true to a large extent, but it may contain personal bias. My hair is long, I ride a motorcycle, and I own fire arms. When you say it is ok to bend the law to abuse a citizen of this country merely because of the way he looks or the people he has associated with, I am saddened. The Jappanese in this country were picked on in the 1940s merely because of the way they looked. Gun owners in this country have been picked on in this country because we are different, we own fire arms. To those who say it is ok to pick on this biker, I must ask, couldnt you find a native or a black to pick on? I had thought we had gotten over this mind set but apparently I was wrong. To those of you who would hassle some one because of the way they look, I salute you, ZIEG HIEL.
I think you are confusing the issue a little bit there Silver. If you ride a motorcycle and have long hair you are not a "biker". A "biker" is a slang term for a member of an Outlaw Motorcycle Gang. The guys who have pride in being that 1%, worst of the worst. The individuals who prostitute women, supply cocaine to the dealers and the vulnerable, guys who extort honest workers of hard earned cash. They are the ones who commit murder, blow up rival shops, and the list goes on. You don't ever become a member let alone a leader of an Outlaw Motorcycle Gang unless you have directly participated in and in the case of the leader ordered others to do these types of things. If you are a guy who rides a bike and happen to have long hair then you are simply that a guy with long hair who rides a bike.

The charges may be weak, if like the story says is all they got, but to say that this guy was targeted for the way he looked is a stretch. I think those who have truly faced discrimination based on race etc would find it disturbing to have their discrimination compared to an individual who made some poor life choices to gain the attention of the police.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I think you are confusing the issue a little bit there Silver. If you ride a motorcycle and have long hair you are not a "biker". A "biker" is a slang term for a member of an Outlaw Motorcycle Gang. The guys who have pride in being that 1%, worst of the worst. The individuals who prostitute women, supply cocaine to the dealers and the vulnerable, guys who extort honest workers of hard earned cash. They are the ones who commit murder, blow up rival shops, and the list goes on. You don't ever become a member let alone a leader of an Outlaw Motorcycle Gang unless you have directly participated in and in the case of the leader ordered others to do these types of things. If you are a guy who rides a bike and happen to have long hair then you are simply that a guy with long hair who rides a bike.

The charges may be weak, if like the story says is all they got, but to say that this guy was targeted for the way he looked is a stretch. I think those who have truly faced discrimination based on race etc would find it disturbing to have their discrimination compared to an individual who made some poor life choices to gain the attention of the police.
Cappy, thank you for your post. It was quite civil. I am a biker. I am not a clubber. I do not sell drugs, prostitute woman, or beat people for their money. You draw a clear line between the long haired biker down the street and the club members who do cross that line. I have to say that this is a line that is not clear to many. I remember the old days when I would get stopped for a " routine checkstop " and am glad they are gone. If the man was breaking the law, then by all means charge him. If all they could come up with was storage charges that probably wont stick but will drag him through court and cost money, that is chicken do do. I have used the comparison between these groups because they have been discriminated because of peoples perceptions of them, not for any thing they have done.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Mr. Cappy and Mr. Silver bring up an excellent point.

The point they bring up is called "profilling".

I would like to see Mr. Crunchies call people who wear turbans on their head a POS because of a remote correlation to terrorism by those groups who wear turbans on their heads.

It appears that today's police are quite selective in their bigotry.

I thought my relatives fought and died in Europe to get rid of selective police bigotry.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Mr. Cappy and Mr. Silver bring up an excellent point.

The point they bring up is called "profilling".

I would like to see Mr. Crunchies call people who wear turbans on their head a POS because of a remote correlation to terrorism by those groups who wear turbans on their heads.

It appears that today's police are quite selective in their bigotry.

I thought my relatives fought and died in Europe to get rid of selective police bigotry.
How dare you acuse me of racism because I said THE LEADER of a criminal gang probably attracted police attention.

I didn't single him out in any way other than the fact he is the leader of a known group of criminals.

You know nothing about me. But get all upset because I said criminal gang members are pos. Gang members are criminals.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
How dare you acuse me of racism because I said THE LEADER of a criminal gang probably attracted police attention.

I didn't single him out in any way other than the fact he is the leader of a known group of criminals.

You know nothing about me. But get all upset because I said criminal gang members are pos. Gang members are criminals.

I think I have made my point.

B.T.W. I am not accusing you of racism, that is quite evident.

Now let us extrapolate our argument from bikers to gun owners.

Under the the Charter of Rights and Freedoms gun owners are not protected
by any section. Are gunowners currently treated in the same class as bikers?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I think I have made my point.

B.T.W. I am not accusing you of racism, that is quite evident.

Now let us extrapolate our argument from bikers to gun owners.

Under the the Charter of Rights and Freedoms gun owners are not protected
by any section. Are gunowners currently treated in the same class as bikers?
Yes c68 sucks. And like I've said I'm in the same boat as you all. I own guns. But the fact remains there are millions of gun owners and the police are not raiding them. Yes they make mistakes. But in this case the guy was a known gang leader. So there is a pretty good chance there were reasons why the police chose to raid his house. It's nothing to do with being of any appearance.

And you intimated I was singling him out due to appearance. I was simply saying his criminal associations have probably attracted attention.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
He is the FORMER leader of a bike gang.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
He is the FORMER leader of a bike gang.
Only because the rest of the gang are dead. But if in an outlaw gang you are a member for life.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Only because the rest of the gang are dead. But if in an outlaw gang you are a member for life.
So he is the leader of a gang that consists of one 76 year old man, that sure sounds intimidating. That makes it much easier to see why they had him lay on a floor for five hours with broken ribs.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So he is the leader of a gang that consists of one 76 year old man, that sure sounds intimidating. That makes it much easier to see why they had him lay on a floor for five hours with broken ribs.
.....I've fallen and I can't get up......

Lefty
Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 PM

I have read some of the criminal code and quite a bit of the fire arms act. I have not found the section that says the charter of rights only applies to bikers when it is convenient. The law must be applied to one and all, regardless of how they look, fairly and evenly. If a LEO feels he or she can use his badge and gun to bully and abuse those he dislikes, then you are no better than the ones you seek to control. If you cannot respect the people you deal with and fairly apply the laws of the land, keeping in mind the charter of rights and freedoms, then it is time to hand in your badge and move on. There have always been stories of abuse by police but the judge always believed the police over the longhairs and the natives. Now cameras are getting to be common and it is no longer the word of a citizen against a member, praise the lord. It is not just the cops against the bikers, last week it was a member of the cloth charged with shooting a horse. According to reports, the police did not cover them selves with glory there either. When I grew up, the police had a place of respect in the community. Since then, I have lost a lot of respect. I have met police men and women that I do respect, and I have met bullies and pigs as well. That is enough for now.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM

This is one reason I never socialize with LEOs. I know they have a tough job to do but I have found that they tend to have more in common with the criminals they deal with on a daily bases than they do with the rest of society. I am not saying that all cops are criminals but they tend to treat every on as if they are criminals. When the police cross the line even a little bit they give up the moral high ground. If the police act like thugs because they know they can get away with it or because this guy was not a nice guy they become criminals. We at one time had a national police force we could be proud of now the RCMP have lost my respect totally. I have only been in a car once when the driver was drinking as he drove and it was an RCMP Sargent, The only person that has brought and drank beer in my boat while fishing was a LEO (not RCMP). The gun bill is only a small part of the problem but the point that the long gun registry is only part of the problem is a good one.
In truth for my self if I had my choice I would rather get rid of a lot of other parts of the legislation more than the registry its self.