Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
You don't need to condone anybody else's hunt .You need to stop bashing legal hunting methods of others publicly because it affects all hunters negatively in the general publics eye. We as a collective group are our own worst enemy.
We don't need to show case poor sportsmanship.
It was the shooter's father who showcased their poor sportsmanship by putting it on youtube. And just to be clear, you do agree that it's poor sportsmanship? A far worse light is cast on the hunting community if such videos are greeted only by posts of "great work", etc.

In order to safeguard our reputation it is necessary that the public sees hunters responding "I'm a hunter and I do not condone this".
Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Most on here find that the video was offensive in the fact that the shot could just of easily wounded the moose at that range and an animal could have suffered a slow death in the bush. Not in my mind a moral shot.

But then lets make our views as hunters known to this person and leave such comments as we have on this thread on Youtube under the comments section. These people are looking for praise doing what they are doing, and are putting it out to the public for approval. Maybe if they get enough negative comments, just maybe we won't be subjected to crap videos that make us hunters look bad.
I agree the shot was immoral. I left my comment stating so on Youtube AND I also reported it as animal abuse as game animals should not be used for target practice. It seems youtube agrees as now there is a censorship on it when you go to view it.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:51 PM

Not to raise ****, this is not my idea of hunting either but the moose did not appear to suffer to me, the second shot was well placed, he should have confirmed his correction on the dirt pile before shooting at the animal, that would have prevented the need for the follow up shot, nice shooting! You watch those guys in Africa hammer the cape buffalo 4x with the 416 Rigby, why is this any different? Just because you are not capable of that shot does not mean that nobody else can do it, SEND IT!

Last edited by Skytop B; 08-16-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd3boss View Post
I agree the shot was immoral. I left my comment stating so on Youtube AND I also reported it as animal abuse as game animals should not be used for target practice. It seems youtube agrees as now there is a censorship on it when you go to view it.
Immoral?? Animal abuse? Really.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Immoral?? Animal abuse? Really.
Yes, killing, when is it nice and pretty, really, we hunt, we KILL, there is nothing pretty about it, pull your panties up or at least get some camo ones! That animal appeared to suffer less than a deer with an arrow through it's guts at 50 yards, we all know that NEVER happens.

Last edited by Skytop B; 08-16-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
It was the shooter's father who showcased their poor sportsmanship by putting it on youtube. And just to be clear, you do agree that it's poor sportsmanship? A far worse light is cast on the hunting community if such videos are greeted only by posts of "great work", etc.

In order to safeguard our reputation it is necessary that the public sees hunters responding "I'm a hunter and I do not condone this".
It's poor sportsmanship just the same as shooting at a gopher at 400 yards and removing a back leg or shooting at a goose or duck you don't know you will kill for sure. All I am saying is if it's not what you want advertised, don't bring attention to it. Do you think think the non hunting public feels it's okay to wound geese and ducks but moose or deer are not okay. There are countless killing videos on you tube that are done in poor taste and there are many that are much worse than the one we have show cased here. A bright light is cast on this video because we as a community have decided we want to hold it up for anyone to see. Like it or not the people who don't hunt call the kid and his dad "hunters". It does not matter if you say great work or not....
Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
It's poor sportsmanship just the same as shooting at a gopher at 400 yards and removing a back leg or shooting at a goose or duck you don't know you will kill for sure. All I am saying is if it's not what you want advertised, don't bring attention to it. Do you think think the non hunting public feels it's okay to wound geese and ducks but moose or deer are not okay. There are countless killing videos on you tube that are done in poor taste and there are many that are much worse than the one we have show cased here. A bright light is cast on this video because we as a community have decided we want to hold it up for anyone to see. Like it or not the people who don't hunt call the kid and his dad "hunters". It does not matter if you say great work or not....
X2....Very well said.

As for the fact that someone reported this as animal abuse and it now has censorship...im sure that is perfect and exactly what the majority of people commenting on this thread wanted... a LEGAL kill is censored and wasn't before, and not because of the actions of a non hunting group, but because of hunters themselves. Great job Keep doing things like that and we're not too far away from all hunting videos (whether they meet your standards or not) being censored.

I sure hope that every single picture posted this fall from everyone who commented negatively on this thread shows nothing but perfect shots right in the boiler room, to avoid animal abuse allegations from within our own community right?

If u are hunting and killing animals, it doesn't matter to the anti's how....your not gonna change their opinion, so better off to stick together as hunters than fight amongst ourselves.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
If u are hunting and killing animals, it doesn't matter to the anti's how....your not gonna change their opinion, so better off to stick together as hunters than fight amongst ourselves.
Everyone isn't either a hunter, or an anti, there are many people that are neither, and that can be influenced to support either side. If those people see all hunters supporting actions that they don't agree with, they may soon become an anti, but if they see that many hunters do not support those activities that they don't agree with, they may see hunters as a whole, as being decent people.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:03 AM

In the circle of life every thing is living from the trees to organism/animals etc

it always amazes me to read post about killing some thing how bad it is

then you drive your car home and kill how many

even walking across the grass .. you get a blood stain on you shoes

most people have double standards for some things

Food for Thought

David
Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
In the circle of life every thing is living from the trees to organism/animals etc

Food for Thought

David
Nobody here is saying that all killing of animals is bad, rather, it's how you go about killing those animals, that concerns most people.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post

Food for Thought

David
Yah because walking on grass is EXACTLY the same as shooting an animal in the guts from long distance and not finding it....I just had an epiphany, thanks David!

LC
Old 08-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yah because walking on grass is EXACTLY the same as shooting an animal in the guts from long distance and not finding it....I just had an epiphany, thanks David!

LC
Where was the unfound animal again? Did I miss something on the video?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Where was the unfound animal again? Did I miss something on the video?
Not talking about the video, I didn't see any grass murdering either, although I may have heard one blade scream....listen closely

Lc
Old 08-17-2014, 09:19 AM

I guess because we all drive cars we have to support the bad drivers too....I mean we are all one and the same! Drivers unite....good or bad!

LC
Old 08-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Everyone isn't either a hunter, or an anti, there are many people that are neither, and that can be influenced to support either side. If those people see all hunters supporting actions that they don't agree with, they may soon become an anti, but if they see that many hunters do not support those activities that they don't agree with, they may see hunters as a whole, as being decent people.
I agree with what you are saying...but like Lannie said, where is the outcry from all of u when it comes to gopher videos on youtube, or multishot buffalo hunts, elephant hunts, etc....just seems like this kid and his dad are getting pounded, yet there are plent worse videos out there. Heck, we have a thread here tallying up gopher numbers...u want hunters painted in a poor light, let that thread get out there...in the eyes of many, that is the epitome of bloodthirsty sport killing, lol.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying...but like Lannie said, where is the outcry from all of u when it comes to gopher videos on youtube, or multishot buffalo hunts, elephant hunts, etc....just seems like this kid and his dad are getting pounded, yet there are plent worse videos out there. Heck, we have a thread here tallying up gopher numbers...u want hunters painted in a poor light, let that thread get out there...in the eyes of many, that is the epitome of bloodthirsty sport killing, lol.
Because the kid is being mentored by his father, it's the father that is the fool in that video, not the kid.
As far as taking multiple shots at a cape buffalo, I doubt very much that it was outside of the range of the hunter to begin with, but i don't watch them on yutube as a rule, just here.
If you personally think than trying to walk shots into an animal is okay, or putting an inexperienced hunter behind a gun on an animal outside their range, that's great for you, it is NOT my idea of good coaching, mentoring , or good hunting practice.

Cat
Old 08-17-2014, 10:12 AM

Here is a video of Joe's training where he get his send it from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3gkteNVhSk

David
Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Because the kid is being mentored by his father, it's the father that is the fool in that video, not the kid.
As far as taking multiple shots at a cape buffalo, I doubt very much that it was outside of the range of the hunter to begin with, but i don't watch them on yutube as a rule, just here.
If you personally think than trying to walk shots into an animal is okay, or putting an inexperienced hunter behind a gun on an animal outside their range, that's great for you, it is NOT my idea of good coaching, mentoring , or good hunting practice.

Cat
So, if you took a youngster out shooting gophers, and he missed, you saw where it hit, you would tell him no more shooting as he isn't a capable shot? How many gophers on the gopher thread were hit far back, in the legs, whatever? have you never shot at a gopher and had to walk the bullet in if u saw where u missed? All I'm getting at is there seems to be a witch hunt because this was a moose, which is a double standard. The importance of the life of one animal should not exceed the importance of another, and I think that's what we're saying.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
So, if you took a youngster out shooting gophers, and he missed, you saw where it hit, you would tell him no more shooting as he isn't a capable shot? How many gophers on the gopher thread were hit far back, in the legs, whatever? have you never shot at a gopher and had to walk the bullet in if u saw where u missed? All I'm getting at is there seems to be a witch hunt because this was a moose, which is a double standard. The importance of the life of one animal should not exceed the importance of another, and I think that's what we're saying.
X2

How many predator hunting shows have you seen on Wild TV where the guy shoots three times at a running coyote, hits them in the guts or takes of a leg.
Even standing shots just out of range of the shotgun, coyote spins around and disappears with a lead in it's hide.

Lots of situational ethics here.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
No IF I took a youngster out gopher shooting I would be aware of their range at which they could make a high percentage shot before that .
Mistakes happen and we need to attempt to keep those mistakes at a minimum.
If the kid can't make a shot at 100 yards why let them try on a live animal?
YOU may think it's alright to take shots at animals outside your skill parameter but I don't
Restraint us something that needs to be roughy and done if us do , some don't
Cat
Old 08-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Yes, killing, when is it nice and pretty, really, we hunt, we KILL, there is nothing pretty about it, pull your panties up or at least get some camo ones! That animal appeared to suffer less than a deer with an arrow through it's guts at 50 yards, we all know that NEVER happens.
Two things for the record.

I don't hunt with a pointy stick.

And what you are looking at, is my camo thong, not my panties pulled down.

You should get your eyes checked, before you shoot a deer in the guts. Terget identification.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Gone Hunting

"YOU may think it's alright to take shots at animals outside your skill parameter but I don't"

ditto.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Banned

So nobody here has ever misjudged the distance and had the first shot miss high or low, then adjust their aim and hit an animal with the second shot?

How about shooting at a goose and missing, then adjusting your lead and hitting it on the next shot.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
So nobody here has ever misjudged the distance and had the first shot miss high or low, then adjust their aim and hit an animal with the second shot?

How about shooting at a goose and missing, then adjusting your lead and hitting it on the next shot.
Never. My daddy always taught me if I missed a duck or goose, it meant a trip back to the trap range before I could hunt birds again.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Shooting at a bird and missing? Not on AO- All kill shots with single shot 28 guage. No runners or cripples ever. Check on videos posted on this forum.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Never said that what I DID say was I don't condone shots outside person's parameter , my one included .
I Aldo don't purposely take ranging shots on animals or birds.
Cat
Old 08-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:I guess because we all drive cars we have to support the bad drivers too....I mean we are all one and the same! Drivers unite....good or bad!

Yes, you should when it comes to hunting. It is not the same. They can somewhat regulate bad drivers. Insurance rates, tickets, posted speed limits, road test Ect.

How do you regulate hunters like drivers?

When it comes to hunting they tend to just put restrictions on things or BAN them altogether.

I don't like the video any more then most of you. But, I also know there are people out there who can make that shot with more confidence and accuracy then a lot of us at 400 yards. So should we just ban long range shooting? If so to what range?

It's hunting and sometimes things don't go as planed. If anyone on here claims that they have never made a poor decision or a bad shot, well they just haven't hunted long enough.

Point is this isn't the place to showcase someones poor decision or bad shot. Because again the only way to regulate it is to ban long range shooting.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:17 PM

Not arguing for or against, but the kid did make a kill shot, at 1300 yards or whatever it was. I would say the kid proved the shot is within his ability. It was really really stupid and dangerous to take a practice shot with a live animal still in his scope but i see that more as his dads fault. In the end he got the moose, and it did not appear to suffer any more than the blades of screaming grass (I think Speckles has been smoking some of that grass lol) i stepped on this morning.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't think the distance is the problem.

Practice at the range on paper.

"YOU may think it's alright to take shots at animals outside your skill parameter but I don't"

common sense.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:33 PM

Like .. roflmao

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
Not arguing for or against, but the kid did make a kill shot, at 1300 yards or whatever it was. I would say the kid proved the shot is within his ability. It was really really stupid and dangerous to take a practice shot with a live animal still in his scope but i see that more as his dads fault. In the end he got the moose, and it did not appear to suffer any more than the blades of screaming grass (I think Speckles has been smoking some of that grass lol) i stepped on this morning.