Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Just like the common flu... over sensationalized. Nothing to see here...
You seen it right away. The math of the numbers right from the start looked horrific. This is bad. How bad? Who knows what will happen? Potentially this is another 1918 though. And the world is just barely catching on. The narrative is going to change though as more people start to wake up over the next couple weeks.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:49 AM

Someone is going to quote that......^
Old 02-17-2020, 06:34 AM

Good god Dean...
Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Someone is going to quote that......^
Haha, most likely
Old 02-17-2020, 07:36 AM

Just looking at the John Hopkins dashboard and it has the cases outside of China at 759 yesterday and now this morning it has them at 1258. That's a huge 67% increase in one day. Am I seeing this correctly?

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
Old 02-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Just looking at the John Hopkins dashboard and it has the cases outside of China at 759 yesterday and now this morning it has them at 1258. That's a huge 67% increase in one day. Am I seeing this correctly?

I noticed that too. Also they are now showing the total in its own column for the Diamond princess cruise ship.

One question I have is, would they let people know of any fatalities on the cruise ship or would that be withheld until after the quarantine to avoid putting the whole ship in panic?
Old 02-17-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Just the tip..... Cases outside of China are the big story here. Still waiting for the testing to catch up to the truth. People suspected at high risk of exposure to infection have been testing negative, cleared, allowed into population, then testing positive afterwards. That's scary
Old 02-17-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I noticed that too. Also they are now showing the total in its own column for the Diamond princess cruise ship.

One question I have is, would they let people know of any fatalities on the cruise ship or would that be withheld until after the quarantine to avoid putting the whole ship in panic?
I just went on again to check if I was seeing it correct and they must have just updated. Now its 1346 cases outside of China and 455 on the cruise ship. Yeah, we're probably screwed. Rest of world is losing control. I don't think the we will be able to contain it. The rest of the world is trailing about where China was on the 24/25 January so the next 2-3 weeks are going to be interesting to see where this goes.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Just the tip..... Cases outside of China are the big story here. Still waiting for the testing to catch up to the truth. People suspected at high risk of exposure to infection have been testing negative, cleared, allowed into population, then testing positive afterwards. That's scary
Do you have links. That is never a good thing for an infectious disease.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:

The jump I'm assuming, is that they probably changed over to the same diagnostic requirements as the Chinese started using a week ago. As the symptoms are essentially "flu like" they had been waiting for virology results (that may never come). They realized they were missing patients, so they started using signs, symptoms, PLUS CT. Covid19 has strong tendencies to damage lung tissue (much more than flu) and that damage is seen on CT. That is why you see such a high percentage of patients listed as "serious", but with modern ventilation equipment and techniques they may live, but it will be a long tough haul for them (and they may have long term effects).
The diamond Princes so far has ended up with 12.3% of their guests (so far) ending up infected!!!!!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-17-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Totally scary. I've been watching the response of various countries to the outbreak and I am not encouraged. Contagious for up to 24 days prior to symptoms and they are isolating for 14 days. Doesn't seem like and abundance of caution to me.

Some scary (but not sure if true) info coming out. The virus is surviving on bare surfaces for over a week, it's airborne, the Ro is estimated at 4-6 now? Death rate maybe as high as SARS? Time will tell I guess.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 AM

I just read that as of yesterday less than a third of people on the Diamond Princess had actually been tested.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Read this example of the other cruise ship, the one that dumped it's passengers in Cambodia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/16/w...americans.html
Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I just read that as of yesterday less than a third of people on the Diamond Princess had actually been tested.
They haven't tested people that haven't had signs or symptoms. Even if they did test positive all they would do would be to keep them in their rooms, isolated from others anyways, so it's not hurting them at all. The one thing it is not helping is for research into this newest corono virus.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It's all over over the internet. Working off my phone but below poster got my link to one. Tried to add more but messed it all up.

I've provided many links with many of my posts. You are trolling.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 02-17-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Wasn’t our second case in Canada the same scenario?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 AM

Just quick blurb from a recently published NEJM article based on what is known from the first 425 cases. These numbers are more in line with what you'd expect from a common viral illness.

"The first 425 patients with a confirmed diagnosis of the novel Wuhan coronavirus were older, had a time from exposure to symptom onset of 3 to 5 days, and a mean time from symptom onset to seeking care of 5 days. These statistics are likely to change once more is known about the total number of cases, including milder ones, and the deaths are fully ascertained."

Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia. N Engl J Med 2020 Jan 29. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2001316.

I think these numbers both more important and more realistic than the internet reports of patients being contagious but symptom free for up to a month. It would be very unusual for the virus to be shedding in a person for that long before developing any symptoms at all. I suspect those reports are flawed in some way.

Also, keep in mind that changing the diagnosis from viral PCR (detecting virus DNA on a swab) to symptoms and imaging will drastically increase the number of false positive test results. I'm sure the labs/supplies are a limited resource and they couldn't handle the large volume, or they needed a faster diagnosis, so they had to switch to a clinical criteria. I suspect viral PCR will continue to be the gold standard for diagnosis this virus going forward, and will give us better data on the course of the disease.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Read this example of the other cruise ship, the one that dumped it's passengers in Cambodia.

Thank you! It's public knowledge if you do a quick search. Much easier for me to link to info from a computer. This is the scary part of this. It's undetected and spreading, and undiagnosed for the most part.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:

What an ignorant leader of a country. There is a reason no other country would let them dock. Exactly for this reason. Trying to be a hero, he's allowed it to spread even further now. 1000 passengers on 3 different continents now! I think turdo would do the same if presented with the same.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:59 AM

We just booked a 3 week trip to Europe in April so keeping an eye on the situation. London, Paris, Barcelona and south Spain. Hopefully it is doesn’t turn in to a full blown lockdown everywhere. I’m already a bit of a germaphobe so I’m hyper diligent on washing hands, using hand sanitizer and we wipe everything down with Lysol wipes once we get to our seats on the plane. Keep the routine and I’m hoping we’ll be fine. I don’t ever remember having the flu (maybe as a small child) and I might get a common cold once every 2 years that last 2-3 days.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:00 AM

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regi...am-cruise-ship

What a beautiful, generous thing they did.....

"We are pleased with the successful resolution of this challenging journey that was complicated by unfounded fears stemming from erroneous information with respect to the medical condition of Westerdam's guests and crew," Holland America Group chief executive officer Stein Kruse said in the press release."

Thanks for your generosity... Resolution? Ummmmm.... Erroneous.... Ummmmmm.... You just released this mass scale to the world...

Last edited by bloopbloob; 02-17-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:41 AM

Default Medcram - youtube site

This is an interesting medical discussion site:
• 36,719 hospitalized - 27,081 mild condition, 7,953 serious and 1,685 critical
• Surgeon in Japan that worked while having symptoms
• Issue with New England Journal of Medicine and importance of getting good information
• Cell phone tracking in China being used to track peoples travel as part of quarantine process

Virus discussion ends at 6:37 then a discussion on the importance of sleep
Old 02-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
This is an interesting medical discussion site:
• 36,719 hospitalized - 27,081 mild condition, 7,953 serious and 1,685 critical
• Surgeon in Japan that worked while having symptoms
• Issue with New England Journal of Medicine and importance of getting good information
• Cell phone tracking in China being used to track peoples travel as part of quarantine process

Virus discussion ends at 6:37 then a discussion on the importance of sleep
Found it. He puts out another one that explains how the coronovirus effects the lungs (ARDS).

Last edited by Scott h; 02-17-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
What site is this from ???
Google --- Youtube - MedCram --- information quoted is lecture 18

https://www.youtube.com/user/MEDCRAMvideos/
Old 02-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Not a very good process.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...home-1.5466131
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-17-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Google --- Youtube - MedCram --- information quoted is lecture 18

https://www.youtube.com/user/MEDCRAMvideos/
Thanks I found it. His other one that explains what happens to your lungs (ARDS) is simple and accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4pBkslqS4

Last edited by Scott h; 02-17-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
It's all over over the internet. Working off my phone but below poster got my link to one. Tried to add more but messed it all up.

I've provided many links with many of my posts. You are trolling.
You falsely make many assumption including people’s intent.

I deal with facts. The more facts the better. I don’t buy the conspiracy stuff you peddle.

I also don’t like mishandling of any infectious disease. As another poster provided a link and I see a couple passengers are in Canada, there should be a better process for dealing with passengers in Canada those potentially exposed.

That is common sense.

Sad part is Liberals are not about common sense so that makes me concerned about our processes.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:05 PM

A good article discussing the consequences of the CCP's miss-handling of the pandemic.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/15...red-the-world/
Old 02-17-2020, 08:55 PM

More and more evidence coming out it was being developed as a bioweapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC0g...ature=youtu.be
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.