Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Why does Tippett treat Smith like they are buddies on a beer league team?
Before tonight's game he had a 3.80 GAA and .893 SV%.

And the defense were worst than last night. Just a complete mess and not winning any battles.
The other 'tenders worse ??

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 02-09-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
The other 'tenders worse ??
Skinner is 2.85 GAA and .908 SV% this season in 12 games with the Oilers.

That is almost as good as any Goalie we could hope to trade for.

If Smith doesn't turn it around immediately, I would almost consider putting him on waivers and let him find his game in Bakersfield. Probably wouldn't want to be in the room when he was told.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Skinner is 2.85 GAA and .908 SV% this season in 12 games with the Oilers.

That is almost as good as any Goalie we could hope to trade for.

If Smith doesn't turn it around immediately, I would almost consider putting him on waivers and let him find his game in Bakersfield. Probably wouldn't want to be in the room when he was told.
I loved his 'Battle' when he was in Calgary, but he's always injury-prone, and wanders around & gets contact lots. Washed up!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 02-09-2022, 09:21 PM

Being serious, what are the odds of Smith turning it around? Kudos for having a long career, but he is 40, and who wants to go out on a stinker season? I think he missed his opportunity to hang up the skates after last season, where he actually was good.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-09-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Being serious, what are the odds of Smith turning it around? Kudos for having a long career, but he is 40, and who wants to go out on a stinker season? I think he missed his opportunity to hang up the skates after last season, where he actually was good.
And he has next year on his contract as well. What was Holland thinking ?

Old 02-09-2022, 09:25 PM

Smith is a failed experiment .
Oilers wanted him for his aggressive play style. Meaning he plays and forwards the puck well creating even more offence for an offensive style hockey club.
Didn’t work.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:22 PM

Smith is done done. Be scary if u could pick up Fleury
Old 02-09-2022, 10:42 PM

Well that just solidifies my earlier point on the Tippett and Smith Bro-mance. Just watched Tippett post game interview and he was praising Smith's performance tonight. 4 goals on 30 shots... Veniza Candidate for sure.

The good news is that we shouldn't have trouble finding a goalie in a trade if the bar is set at +3.50 GAA and - .900 SV%
Old 02-09-2022, 11:28 PM

Another fun fact...

The idea was to make some noise in the playoffs this year.

Smith is 40 with a grand total of 11 playoff wins and 17 playoff loses. 9 of the wins came in the 2012 with the Coyotes. Since 2012 he has appeared in 3 playoff rounds with a grand total of 1 win. That is not a series win, that is 1 game win.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Smith is done done. Be scary if u could pick up Fleury
Well that was fun to watch!
Another no response from the players to whatever the coaching staff is putting out....
I see a team with potential but that’s about it until a change happens, wouldn’t point fingers at the tendy, lots of bad plays creating turnovers in their end and neutral zone....ohh well didn’t need calgary’s Win either

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 02-10-2022 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:19 AM

The realistic fact is that Smith was never going to take us anywhere, anybody that thought that doesn't know much about hockey, when was the last time a 40 year old injury proned goalie took a team anywhere. You need a goalie and your up against the cap, you have to give something to get something nobody in the league will feel sorry for you and help you out.

Then what about our scoring, 1 goal in 2 games ??? not going to win those games no matter who is in net, it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion, and the flames are churning which just makes it worse, but good on them, they are playing like a team posessed

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:16 AM

Tippets gone...........
Old 02-10-2022, 09:17 AM

No word yet on replacement........ he was on a pretty short leash, can't lose two in a row like that at this point.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:19 AM

Jay Woodcroft to replace tippit
Old 02-10-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
No word yet on replacement........ he was on a pretty short leash, can't lose two in a row like that at this point.
Woodcraft and Manson taking over….

And the beat goes on. Lmao
Old 02-10-2022, 09:37 AM

Best quote I've seen on the Sportsnet Chat

"Tippetts biggest mistake was the recent insubordination. Holland got him the help he needed and he just flat out refused to put Evander Kane between the pipes"

Laughed at that one!
Old 02-10-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Best quote I've seen on the Sportsnet Chat

"Tippetts biggest mistake was the recent insubordination. Holland got him the help he needed and he just flat out refused to put Evander Kane between the pipes"

Laughed at that one!
Lmao! That’s a gooder
Old 02-10-2022, 09:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Tippets gone...........

Told’ya it was going to happen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-10-2022, 09:52 AM

Interesting turn of events after another stinker to watch. I like Woodcroft, he should do well with this young team. Does it solve the glaring goalie issues though?

When will Holland do what needs to be done and get the team a top quality marquee goalie. We ain't going too far with these two dolts and I am a Smith fan but he should have rode into the sunset after lasts seasons great run. Now he is showing us all it was a one off.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:59 AM

Firing the coach will not fix the deficiencies on the ice. The is hollands last bullet before he is next…. And the cycle continues… go oilers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2022, 10:06 AM

Good.

I think more important that Woodcroft being named head coach, is that he brings Dave Manson with him to manage the Defense core.

Now go spend some assets and get a goalie and some men that can actually play defense.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:12 AM

Did they fired that waste of skin goalie coach too ?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Did they fired that waste of skin goalie coach too ?
Playfair is gone but haven't heard about Schwartz.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:00 AM

I still think McDavid is too encumbered wearing the C. Get in someone like a Wheeler or Tavares to wear the C and slap the A on McDavid and set him loose. That's the formula Toronto uses with Matthews and it's working.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:01 AM

That's right, fire the coach! What a poorly run organization. And the common denominators to a losing team are still there!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I still think McDavid is too encumbered wearing the C. Get in someone like a Wheeler or Tavares to wear the C and slap the A on McDavid and set him loose. That's the formula Toronto uses with Matthews and it's working.
Tavares? Likely got a no trade and no one in their right mind would willingly go to Edmonton. Hell, I refused a move there myself. Twice.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:43 AM

Hey! Good idea. Kane could wear the C! Yeah man!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-10-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
That's right, fire the coach!
Well, I think it will help. Tippet didn't seem to be able to adjust his system based on the team he has and the teams he was playing.

Evidence of this is plentiful:

-2021/2022, Oilers fly out of the gate to top spot in the league. Teams figure them out, and are free falling in the standings. How do you go from 1st in the league to 18th, over what, 30 games, while actually getting better players, and not lay some blame at the coaches feet;

-2021 Playoffs, Edmonton was swept my the Jets even though throughout the course of the season the Oiler's had more wins, pts, better differential/PP/PK/GF/GA, etc. There were few, if any, stats the Jets were better at going into that series. The results, Jets sweep Edmonton; and,

-2020 Play-In, The 23rd ranked Blackhawks, last in the central, sweep the Oilers, who were 2nd in the Pacific.

Yes, the Oilers goaltending isn't great, but you adjust. And not by asking McDavid to play defense, but by scoring 4 goals a night. The team needs a new system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
What a poorly run organization. And the common denominators to a losing team are still there!
Correct. I'd firmly blame Katz. What is it, 10 head coaches and 6 GMs in 14 years. How is an organization to gain any traction, culture, and implement a plan with turnover like that?
Old 02-10-2022, 12:04 PM
Banned

I wonder how much cap space could be attained by firing...double FF, Stauffer.....haha
Old 02-10-2022, 12:23 PM

I thought for sure that with the departure of Tippet we would see YYC338 and Trochu as the new interm coaching staff behind the Oilers bench tomorrow night

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Closed Thread