Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i heard someone say that it was a million dollar deer.
LOL.....People say a lot of things.

With a typical whitetail World Record you could possibly make that kind of money over a number of years by doing the speaking circuit, marketing merchandise, selling the head, selling reproductions, writing articles, endorsing products and a whole lot more. It would have to become a full time job. With a velvet, archery mule deer.....not a chance. Great deer and he'll make some money for sure and being in the business he's in will help a lot but it's not a retirement deer that's for sure. I hope he does well with it. If anyone can maximize the worth of that buck it's Cody.....it doesn't hurt having one of North America's top businessmen in the hunting industry looking over his shoulder either. It'll help pay for his wedding this year, that's for sure
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 PM

Chicago Appraisers R Bruce Duncan will tell you what it is worth for 400.00 bucks he is World renouned and insurance approved for Animals/Fish etc.

if it is ranked number one and checks out

I would say the real mount is worth in the Hundreds of Thousands for insurance reasons and the replicas may be worth in the thousands

Broder Buck 171000.00 conditional sale US 2003

Milo's Whitetail insurance is for 1 million i read he made 60000.00 the first few years and made 3500.00 per replica selling 30 or more.

Cody knows how much this is worth.
this one is a Million images.jpg

Food for Thought
David

Last edited by Speckle55; 01-29-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL.....People say a lot of things.

With a typical whitetail World Record you could possibly make that kind of money over a number of years by doing the speaking circuit, marketing merchandise, selling the head, selling reproductions, writing articles, endorsing products and a whole lot more. It would have to become a full time job. With a velvet, archery mule deer.....not a chance. Great deer and he'll make some money for sure and being in the business he's in will help a lot but it's not a retirement deer that's for sure. I hope he does well with it. If anyone can maximize the worth of that buck it's Cody.....it doesn't hurt having one of North America's top businessmen in the hunting industry looking over his shoulder either. It'll help pay for his wedding this year, that's for sure
i agree with that for sure. no mule deer on the planet is worth anywhere near what a whitetail equivalent would be. again, the money is all south of the border, and whitetails rule the world in north america. of course, i doubt ole milo has grossed anywhere near a million, and hes nearing 20 years into his adventure.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
i agree with that for sure. no mule deer on the planet is worth anywhere near what a whitetail equivalent would be. again, the money is all south of the border, and whitetails rule the world in north america. of course, i doubt ole milo has grossed anywhere near a million, and hes nearing 20 years into his adventure.
I'd be surprised if he made six figures.......

Super nice guy but just not a promoter. There isn't much money that comes from killing the deer....it becomes all about the personality that killed it to make real dough. That's where Cody has a real advantage...he knows the business.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

im sure milo did better than rompola....that guy has to be in the hole over his. for that matter, im pretty sure zaft took a hit too. he had replicas made, but once the bad news came down the pipe, i have to wonder if he broke even selling a few? i hope cabelas and bass pro took a few and he at least got his investment back.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Hey, that's about 20x the average amount for an article in a magazine....lol
Hey! You get a raise that I didn't hear about? My memo on the raise must be in the mail?!?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
First of all, it's "sell out", not "sell off". But whatever you want to call it, he's neither. Hunting is his business, this is how how makes his living. If he doesn't sell the story, no money. Pretty simple. Second, you're right, Who Cares?, and by that I mean, who cares where the magazine is from? If I ever shot something that was big enough that someone wanted to put it in a mag, the story and pics would be going to the highest bidder, and I could not care less if it was a Canadian publication.
you said it,hunting for him is a business. For anyone who has outfitted or guided or in this case, his own hunting show,knows it can and does change hunting morals and ethics. dont think for 1 second that he didnt do whatever it took to kill this deer your wrong .
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer18 View Post
you said it,hunting for him is a business. For anyone who has outfitted or guided or in this case, his own hunting show,knows it can and does change hunting morals and ethics. dont think for 1 second that he didnt do whatever it took to kill this deer your wrong .
Ya, like working harder in the field than 98% of guys out there every year? Thats what consistency requires man,,, that and a resource like Saskatchewan's. Shure be alot easier to connect in this province if we were like them. Consistency is not made up of illegal activities, its created with try, especially tue when the guy has it on video. Your so envious its sick. Change your work ethic and youd be amazed at what happens.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I heard Cody had a bait pile out and was doing Laps around it in a Bell 209 assault chopper with an automatic .50 cal hanging out the door.

I can't beleive how many petty jelous hunters are out there.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
My conclusions after reading 5 pages of this thread,

Nice deer, a good financial choice by the shooter, and hopefully the world ends soon because people suck.

Have a great day.
Lol X100! Completely accurate!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Ya, like working harder in the field than 98% of guys out there every year? Thats what consistency requires man,,, that and a resource like Saskatchewan's. Shure be alot easier to connect in this province if we were like them. Consistency is not made up of illegal activities, its created with try, especially tue when the guy has it on video. Your so envious its sick. Change your work ethic and youd be amazed at what happens.
buddy if you dont think that what i say is a fact,take a look at all the charges on outfitters,and hunting show personal in the past who have been caught . as for getting it on video, its easy to have on there what you want. hunting as a business. turns into killing for a living.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that because a person is a guide, or has their own show, they will do anything to kill a big animal, simply because some others have?
That's a totally uniformed statement!
The people tha wold do something like tha had no morals to begin with, they didn't get that way from guiding or doing a hunting show.

What you are saying is as soon as aperson starts hunting proffesionally their ethics go out the window.

I for one take great offence to your statement, as my ethics are as solid as they were when I was guiding and have not changed since I was taought them by my father, and I also know many fine outfitters and guides that would not even think of doing something outside the law or their own ethics.
Along the same lines, you just accused people like Huntistuff, shephunter, Gunslinger, 209X50, and Rob Miskosky himself of being non ehtical and poachers!!

I think you should re-think before you post anything ewlse, because you really have no clue of what you are talking about.
Your atitude stinks and I foir one am not impressed with you, Sir.
Cat
Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
buddy if you dont think that what i say is a fact,take a look at all the charges on outfitters,and hunting show personal in the past who have been caught . as for getting it on video, its easy to have on there what you want. hunting as a business. turns into killing for a living.
Yeah, like no resident hunter has ever broke the rules and been charged right.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=Ryry4;1280617]Yeah, like no resident hunter has ever broke the rules and been charged right. [/Q
absolutely, all im saying is when it comes to money in this industry, rules are broken. i was ten years in that business, and its a small circle
Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I think all your statements on this thread are far from certain fact. just mindless half baked dribble, overblown assumptions, and utter BS.

Guilty until proven innocent hey. oh wait, what is he guilty of again????

some people.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The real money would be in selling the real head and then a few bucks for the repros and the first magazine story but after that, you better be willing to take on marketing your success as a full time job. Just shooting a world record deer isn't going to make you much money...it's the selling of the head and then the subsequent marketing of yourself that would net the cash. Tales of million dollar deer are way over blown. You'd have to work hard for your money after the first big paycheck from selling the head and even that likely wouldn't net what most people think it would.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
absolutely, all im saying is when it comes to money in this industry, rules are broken. i was ten years in that business, and its a small circle
Seems like your conscious is bothering you.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:08 PM

Congrats Cody on a great buck! There is jealousy everywhere when someone is successful. Hopefully it makes the circuit of hunting shows this spring.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM

Guys I was talking with Cody while we drove home from Medicine Hat yesterday and then called Garry Donald. I told them about some of the crap that was hitting the web. I told them what I wanted to reply and they are ok with this. Please be assured that this story will be in Big Buck soon. The guys at Eastman's are great hard core hunters. Doesn't matter which side of the fence you live on. Sometimes legalities and contracts keep things from happening simultaneously. Garry and Cody are still great friends. The money paid for this story is way less than most people think. It was not taken over bait. Cody spent 41 straight days watching this deer (along with myself and a few others) morning and night. Please don't question his dedication or hard work or think this was a gimme. By the time he had the replica made and travels around he's going to be in the hole over this buck for the first while. This buck isn't for sale so no point in trying to put a value on it. If anyone knew how much it costs to hunt like he does (T.J. does) and the pressure there is sometimes they might not be quite so quick to say how that lifestyle makes you rich overnight. Please just appreciate this deer for the magnificent specimen that it is. No matter where it's from or who harvested it. Thanks Bill
Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Are you saying that because a person is a guide, or has their own show, they will do anything to kill a big animal, simply because some others have?
That's a totally uniformed statement!.....

I for one take great offence to your statement,....

... I foir one am not impressed with you, Sir.
Cat
I was with you, CatnHat - right up the "Sir" part.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY BLASTOFF View Post
Guys I was talking with Cody while we drove home from Medicine Hat yesterday and then called Garry Donald. I told them about some of the crap that was hitting the web. I told them what I wanted to reply and they are ok with this. Please be assured that this story will be in Big Buck soon. The guys at Eastman's are great hard core hunters. Doesn't matter which side of the fence you live on. Sometimes legalities and contracts keep things from happening simultaneously. Garry and Cody are still great friends. The money paid for this story is way less than most people think. It was not taken over bait. Cody spent 41 straight days watching this deer (along with myself and a few others) morning and night. Please don't question his dedication or hard work or think this was a gimme. By the time he had the replica made and travels around he's going to be in the hole over this buck for the first while. This buck isn't for sale so no point in trying to put a value on it. If anyone knew how much it costs to hunt like he does (T.J. does) and the pressure there is sometimes they might not be quite so quick to say how that lifestyle makes you rich overnight. Please just appreciate this deer for the magnificent specimen that it is. No matter where it's from or who harvested it. Thanks Bill
Thanks for posting this Bill. If your the Bill I'm thinking of, long time no hear! I'm not going to post up your last name, but if your the Bill I'm thinking of I know that you personally know both Cody and Gary. I'm sure Gary was happy for Cody, and can't wait to see it in Big Buck.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I was with you, CatnHat - right up the "Sir" part.
I tend to get very curt when I'm Po'd - it doesn't come through very well on the internet.
Cat
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY BLASTOFF View Post
Absolutely Top Shelf post, and no, it shouldn't matter which side of the birder is was killed on, or who got the first story, as long as it was killed with fair chase, which I have no doubt that this one was.
The money thing and the mag it's in may matter to some, but not for the genuine sportsmen and women who appreciate big deer for what they are - magnificent animals!
Cat
Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 PM

The Live2hunt crew took some great mule deer this year. Cody is going to have some great programs coming this year.
For those questioning his ethics take the time to see what he has done with some first time hunters and the young boy on his "make a wish " hunt.
The hunting community could sure use a lot more guys like him.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I tend to get very curt when I'm Po'd - it doesn't come through very well on the internet.
Cat
Yeah, I got that part...was just giving you the gears.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM

I'd bet he spent way more money on watching/scouting, equipement, fuel and hunting that brute than what he has made on him, or might make on him for a while!

Be thankful he is sharing it with everyone to enjoy!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
The money thing and the mag it's in may matter to some, ...
Yup.

And if I was Cody, that'd matter to me about as much as the fact that it would also matter to those same people that I drive a Dodge. Which is to say, F__ A_.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Be thankful he is sharing it with everyone to enjoy!
x2
Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Default million dollar deer

Whoever thinks Milo made a million dollars give your head a shake......
He has made some money, but when you hear stories about what he gets divide what you hear by 10 or 15 you end up with the real value.
The only way Milo will make a Million is if someone steals it........and then the insurance company would claim he had it outside his double door vault.. And the policy would be invalid so he would be S.O.L.
I'm sure Cody will be very similar .... One thing Cody may do is have Eastman as a sponsor, that would allow him to have some of his expenses paid! But as far as Cash in hand it isn't as easy as most people think.... They don't come chasing you with wheel barrels of cash.......hollering pick us pick us.
Just think how many more sales do you think Eastman will get for that months issue with Cody's story in it ( if you believe millions think again)..
After all its business not a fairy tale guys....
And I'm dam happy for Cody he is a hard working guy, who is more dedicated to Mulie hunting then anyone I know! He deserves what ever he gets.
SST
Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Im just happy that finally a super slammer was killed by a guy that is actually a hunter. Not to discredit anyones top end stuff, but man these one hit wonders lucking out is plain boring. If theres one Id love to see fall its Milos w/t. That guy didnt know which end of a whitetail stood up first, when he killed that thing, still doesnt. Not that I care what goes on, and id still be the first to congratulate a guy for any accomplishment, just saying its nice to see a hunter kill something like that.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Closed Thread