Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
All I can say is WOW!
Why wow I want to see proof of his claims? Actual proof not Internet hide behind a keyboard proof.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 PM

swifty...did you do the poachers search yet?

L.S
Old 09-02-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
So did he turn himself in? Or did the outfitter turn him in?
That's the Millon Dollar $$$$ Question.....Some think he or the outfitter turned themselves in OR did the Yukon F&W officers Observerve and have evidence of him breaking the law?

That is the Question.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Why wow I want to see proof of his claims? Actual proof not Internet hide behind a keyboard proof.
This may lead to another case of "careful what you wish for".
Old 09-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Lol maybe but since we mods had discussed soft deleting the thread and cleaning up some derails then re opening the thread, the tin foil theories are moot

Unfortunately some members seem to think that any mod intervention is a whitewash by the MAN
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM

Default Dont know the man

Not going to justify poaching but really who hasnt made a mistake. guess if you dont make a mistake it is because you arent doing anything.
Looked at those regs that were posted and didnt see anything about not hunting with in 8 km of Dempster highway but that is what media is reporting to sensationalize so despite the media reputation we are going to trust the reporting of the interpretation of the laws?? I see the hunting big game corridor as much smaller 500 meters or half a mile + or minus. Dont know wher ethe hunter or Pat were as I wasnt there. Certainly willl never trust media interpretation or reporting of the "facts".

Made a few mistakes in my life to and was embarressed. Shot a duck my first year hunting and killed a heron that was 10 yards behind what I was aiming at. Guess I got special treatment as when I called the CO he said "you are not supposed to do that but I guess if your dog retrieved it now you have to eat it so we are even".
Took my 14 year old hunting deer his first year and he shot a doe which I found and finished before he climbed up the hill. CO charged me with not tagging a kill. In my view it was my sons deer but the judge told me legally if I killed it should have tagged it. He let me off because he didnt know any hunter that would allow an animal to suffer needlessly if they had ability to finish it. Technically I was guilty. You can be guilty without intent of both the letter of the law or the intent of the law. Sometimes it is a fine line although like sports the armchair experts always know how the play should have been completed.
the man admitted he made a mistake and paid the fine end of story.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM

Smile

And before rumors start... a

Yes.. i did just ban 1899b for posting PM information... which is a bannable offence . He made the .....Mistake...... of posting a pic of a Private message. Which everyone knows posting PM info is an instant ban. As 1899b once put it........ " he got the short rope"

Anyone else?

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 09-02-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 PM

Oh my!!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Banned

No one is perfect

Even if you are you are fooling yourself.

Again I am disappointed, he has admitted to the offence.

I truly believe the first post was fishing, and then the second post was the bait.

What I have taken from this is I will always try to do what is correct.

What is correct will be defined by the rules of the activity I participate in.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Plain and simple if you would like to meet me for coffee and say that right to my face I would love to
so what r u gonna do kannonfr, beat him up???? I know, I know, u didn't say that, but we're a bunch of big boys who have been around.

maybe u'd like to meet all of us who don't agree with what went on here.

come on, this isn't/wasn't right
Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
swifty...did you do the poachers search yet?

L.S
Yes I did, and I confirmed my suspicions. I didn't notice any threads about 'Joe blow', unless they were blatant and serious offenders.

That should answer the question 'what if it was just some average guy?'

We wouldn't care.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Once again some members want to put their own spin on a post to suit their purposes. I love how a bunch of volunteers get bad mouthed and called liars by some keyboard hero with his own agenda. Iv met lots of members for coffee or beer even ones I disagree with
Old 09-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Not going to justify poaching but really who hasnt made a mistake. guess if you dont make a mistake it is because you arent doing anything.
Looked at those regs that were posted and didnt see anything about not hunting with in 8 km of Dempster highway but that is what media is reporting to sensationalize so despite the media reputation we are going to trust the reporting of the interpretation of the laws?? I see the hunting big game corridor as much smaller 500 meters or half a mile + or minus. Dont know wher ethe hunter or Pat were as I wasnt there. Certainly willl never trust media interpretation or reporting of the "facts".

Made a few mistakes in my life to and was embarressed. Shot a duck my first year hunting and killed a heron that was 10 yards behind what I was aiming at. Guess I got special treatment as when I called the CO he said "you are not supposed to do that but I guess if your dog retrieved it now you have to eat it so we are even".
Took my 14 year old hunting deer his first year and he shot a doe which I found and finished before he climbed up the hill. CO charged me with not tagging a kill. In my view it was my sons deer but the judge told me legally if I killed it should have tagged it. He let me off because he didnt know any hunter that would allow an animal to suffer needlessly if they had ability to finish it. Technically I was guilty. You can be guilty without intent of both the letter of the law or the intent of the law. Sometimes it is a fine line although like sports the armchair experts always know how the play should have been completed.
the man admitted he made a mistake and paid the fine end of story.
Excellent post WWBirds. I agree with your point on intent.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Banned

Unbelievable
Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Unbelievable

yup, on so many levels....

L.S.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
yup, on so many levels....

L.S.
Yup, got that right.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:31 PM

Yup
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Banned

this thread has degenerated to the point of being worse than stooooopid. my distain for the idiocy that goes on here is beyond description............all the bickering should stop, as it accomplishes nothing except create hard feelings by everyone.

I joined this forum to be entertained by a bunch of people who like myself, enjoy the outdoors and like to share their experiences. oh boy, this thread takes the cake on that score.

I hope everyone here (and I include myself for getting drawn in) goes to bed tonight and considers their reasons for being here. I also hope that when that has been done, there is a different tone here tomorrow. I won't find out tho, because I'm done wasting my time with this thread.

shame on almost everyone (me included)
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Deleting this thread in the first place showed that a mod wanted to cover this up real quick. Displays the mindset of some that control things around here. Not to mention the deletion of some of the posts that were on the thread. That in itself shows the blatant favourtism which has been ongoing here. Not only did Pat Garrett break laws, but AO at the time thought it fine to cover it up.
First off I don't even have to respond to this, but I will. I deleted the thread so I could clean it up and delete posts that broke rules of the board with out having to worry about 20 more posts I knew would follow. It took longer than I wanted as my personal life called me away. As for covering it up. lol Just how stupid do you think we are. Covering up something that is a matter of public record is an operation in futility. As for your remarks not quoted about pestering mods to reopen it, well I know nothing of that as I never got 1 pm on the subject. Favoritism. How can you say that when I deleted posts that belittled a forum member. I've done the same for you, and I could go back through this thread and hand out some infractions for belittling remarks. Did Pat do wrong, yes. Are we defending him for his wrong doing, No. Some here have the opinion (based on a poorly written newspaper article) that he got off to light. Well Guess what, your opinion doesn't count, only the presiding judge's does.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
this thread has degenerated to the point of being worse than stooooopid. my distain for the idiocy that goes on here is beyond description............all the bickering should stop, as it accomplishes nothing except create hard feelings by everyone.

I joined this forum to be entertained by a bunch of people who like myself, enjoy the outdoors and like to share their experiences. oh boy, this thread takes the cake on that score.

I hope everyone here (and I include myself for getting drawn in) goes to bed tonight and considers their reasons for being here. I also hope that when that has been done, there is a different tone here tomorrow. I won't find out tho, because I'm done wasting my time with this thread.

shame on almost everyone (me included)

Amen
Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 PM

To bad to hear...
We all make mistakes...
But if we get caught we should suffer the consequences and no one should feel sorry for us...

I've hunted up there, in the same place Pat got caught. I know an outfitter that hunts that area. I know and have hunted with guys who've guided that area. It's pretty common knowledge that there's a 5 mile/8 km before on that road...

He knew, he rolled the dice and he got caught. End of story...

For those who buy into the 'I didn't know' line... Lmao!!

It's just another guide/outfitter bending the rules. End of story...
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Gunslinger screwed up and he paid the price the courts felt suited the crime.

At the end of the day who am I or anyone else to argue?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Plain and simple if you would like to meet me for coffee and say that right to my face I would love to
I will say double wow!

Meet by the monkey bars after school!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
To bad to hear...
We all make mistakes...
But if we get caught we should suffer the consequences and no one should feel sorry for us...

I've hunted up there, in the same place Pat got caught. I know an outfitter that hunts that area. I know and have hunted with guys who've guided that area. It's pretty common knowledge that there's a 5 mile/8 km before on that road...

He knew, he rolled the dice and he got caught. End of story...

For those who buy into the 'I didn't know' line... Lmao!!

It's just another guide/outfitter bending the rules. End of story...
Thats exactly how i interpret it as well. That corridor is alittle more then "common knowledge."
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Thats exactly how i interpret it as well. That corridor is alittle more then "common knowledge"
But did he shoot within 500 m or use an ATV within 8 km?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Guessing he did or he would not have plead guilty in court

LC
Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes I did, and I confirmed my suspicions. I didn't notice any threads about 'Joe blow', unless they were blatant and serious offenders.

That should answer the question 'what if it was just some average guy?'

We wouldn't care.
It isn't about joe blow, it's about a man who represented himself as a great hunter, showed off all his accomplishments on this very forum, now convicted of poaching. That's why the big deal. If it's ok the be able to show off trophies, true stories of how the hunt goes down should be ok as well, good or bad, it's the truth.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
"The group spotted a grizzly bear off the highway, and the man assigned to Garrett shot and killed it.

Kirkpatrick said grizzly hunting is prohibited in an eight-kilometre corridor along the Dempster. This bear was less than one kilometre from the highway."

From the article.

He never shot anything. The client listened to garrett instruction to shoot the bear. garret was travelling around with 2 hunters as well which is another no no there. Simply put bending rules & simply trying to get it done no matter what.

On Garrett's end its the hunt for the animal that he responsible for & obviously broke the rules conducting pretty simple.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I'm just wonder which of the two it was. Article was vague in this area.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Garrett never shot anything according to the charges. He is charged for illegal grizzly hunt taking place and having to many hunters assigned for him as a guide.
Closed Thread