Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-15-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Agree with your post 100% Elk, but you left one group of people off your list, the ones who would really like to know what the law really is. I wouldn't be upset if I got a speeding ticket if I were actually speeding (well, I'd be upset but you know..), but I'd be really choked for getting a ticket for hunting an old bait site that wasn't used for 6 months or even a year, or getting one for harvesting a buck that was seen at a bait site a quarter section away.
But till the the regs are a little more detailed I imagine people will just have to continue doing what they think is correct.
I wouldn't care so much, but I do put out trailcams every year to see what game is in a given area, and it would be nice to know just what the rules are on things like how far in advance of when I actually hunt I have to remove them, or how far away I have to be from one that is active or where one was active. Some of the armchair lawyers would have you believe that setting up a trailcam and bait station disqualifies a person from hunting, and I find that ridiculous.
Be honest now, do you really believe that you would be charged for hunting in a location where a bait site hasn't been present for 6 months or a year? Do you really believe that you would be charged for shooting a deer , just because it was seen at a bait site located 1/2 mile away?

A little common sense goes a long ways.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Be honest now, do you really believe that you would be charged for hunting in a location where a bait site hasn't been present for 6 months or a year? Do you really believe that you would be charged for shooting a deer , just because it was seen at a bait site located 1/2 mile away?

Elk, please refer to the original post. This is what the discussion is about and why some feel this regulation is too vague to enforce.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Elk, please refer to the original post. This is what the discussion is about and why some feel this regulation is too vague to enforce.
I understand the issue, I was just responding to someone stretching things to the point of being ridiculous.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

Of course common sense goes a long way, but I am stretching things to make a point. If 1/2 a mile away is ok, how about a 1/4 mile? 500yds? 100yds? Can I hunt a bait site that has not been active since last year? 6 mo. ago? 1 mo.ago? last week?
Plenty of laws and rules out there that defy common sense Elk. I would prefer to simply have some clear rules on this topic.
I cannot think of any other reg that is so open to different interpretations as this one.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:30 AM

How does it work when it comes to planting food plots. IE around the edges of a established grain field. I also find it hard to believe that there are not many convictions (at least ones I know of ) when Canadian tire sells baits/mineral attractants all across this province
Old 03-15-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickthomson View Post
How does it work when it comes to planting food plots. IE around the edges of a established grain field. I also find it hard to believe that there are not many convictions (at least ones I know of ) when Canadian tire sells baits/mineral attractants all across this province
How many field officers are there in Alberta? It is actually surprising to me that we have any charges for anything in the province.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
How many field officers are there in Alberta? It is actually surprising to me that we have any charges for anything in the province.
I would be inclined to guess that most charges of hunting over bait are the result of the person being reported for doing so.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:

would you consider his comments more asinine or cretinous?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
would you consider his comments more asinine or cretinous?
Another armchair lawyer spouting off. I thought Elk made some good points.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:26 PM

Bit harsh don't you think? He's the one who commented about the post. Just curious is all.

Last edited by Joe Black; 03-15-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bit harsh don't you think? He's the one who commented about the post. Just curious is all.
Yes it was a bit harsh. You also made the same comment about Elk using the exact same words on another thread. Only I am allowed to insult Elk like that (Inside joke). We have gone 6 pages without too many insults or personal attacks and I think it would be nice to continue in the same vein. My apologies.
Im curious also; are you clear on this reg, or do you find it vague or anything else?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:32 PM

Dude, just asking a question. Who's' insulting who again? Chillate buddy.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dude, just asking a question. Who's' insulting who again? Chillate buddy.
I'm chilled. It's all good. You didn't answer the question though.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:44 PM

Actually I don't think you broke the law when you put out a camera. You broke he law when you put out a camera for the purpose of hunting, and placed bait in front of it. That s the law as written. You may not place bait for the purpose of hunting. Nothing about a half mile here or a month a later there. Why are you so confused?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Actually I don't think you broke the law when you put out a camera. You broke he law when you put out a camera for the purpose of hunting, and placed bait in front of it. That s the law as written. You may not place bait for the purpose of hunting. Nothing about a half mile here or a month a later there. Why are you so confused?
Because he wants to use bait. He has a camera. He has bought the bait. He wants to use it - and this whole concept of the law is getting in his way. He really wants an "out" to circumvent this law.

PS - I have trail cameras as well. Guess where they are placed. On a trail
Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Because he wants to use bait. He has a camera. He has bought the bait. He wants to use it - and this whole concept of the law is getting in his way.
I think it also has to do with admitting that something he has been doing, as others do, is actually illegal. Regardless of how many ways there may be to sidestep a charge or conviction. The difference here is that he can no longer claim he didn't really understand. It's been pointed out in simple English several times and he continues to pretend the question is not answered. He wants a set time and distance. There isn't one. The placing of the bait for the purpose of hunting is the illegal act . I wonder why someone who does this would even bother to clean the pile before season opener. You may as well shoot over it. I don't think there is a additional infraction after you place the bait?
Old 03-15-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I'm chilled. It's all good. You didn't answer the question though.
Got a small brain. One question at a time. Still trying to figure out if it was asinine or cretinous,,,,,
Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Got a small brain. One question at a time. Still trying to figure out if it was asinine or cretinous,,,,,
AHHHHHHHHH...... I get it now. Please climb back under your bridge.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:33 PM

Feel better now?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I think it also has to do with admitting that something he has been doing, as others do, is actually illegal. Regardless of how many ways there may be to sidestep a charge or conviction. The difference here is that he can no longer claim he didn't really understand. It's been pointed out in simple English several times and he continues to pretend the question is not answered. He wants a set time and distance. There isn't one. The placing of the bait for the purpose of hunting is the illegal act . I wonder why someone who does this would even bother to clean the pile before season opener. You may as well shoot over it. I don't think there is a additional infraction after you place the bait?
I can recall multiple times where people have posted questions on this forum, only to discover that what they had done in the past was in fact in violation of the rules. One of the people that incriminated himself in the past, also posted on this thread.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry Corey, while I was trying to figure out what Mr. black was on about I missed your post. I have baited trailcams out right now to see whats in different area's (and if antlers have dropped), but I am not hunting. According to your interpretation, if I planned on hunting any of those area's in 6 or 8 months time, I am breaking the law right now. No exageration, thats exactly how you put it. Perhaps our definitions of hunting are different.
There are 10 items listed in the Wildlife Act that are prohibited for hunting big game. I own and have in my possesion 8 of these items. I'm sure most hunters own at least 4 or more of these items. Unless you are using any of these items While hunting, or for the Purpose of hunting you are not breaking the law.
I don't feel like I'm breaking the law because I have baited trailcams out right now, and when I actually do start hunting, the bait will no longer be there, so I will not be using bait for the purposes of hunting big game.
I feel, if nothing else, Corey's post shows why this law should be made clearer. I am breaking the law because I shoot a deer in November that I saw at my bait site 8 months earlier in March??? Sorry I'm not buying it.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry Corey, while I was trying to figure out what Mr. black was on about I missed your post. I have baited trailcams out right now to see whats in different area's (and if antlers have dropped), but I am not hunting. According to your interpretation, if I planned on hunting any of those area's in 6 or 8 months time, I am breaking the law right now. No exageration, thats exactly how you put it. Perhaps our definitions of hunting are different.
There are 10 items listed in the Wildlife Act that are prohibited for hunting big game. I own and have in my possesion 8 of these items. I'm sure most hunters own at least 4 or more of these items. Unless you are using any of these items While hunting, or for the Purpose of hunting you are not breaking the law.
I don't feel like I'm breaking the law because I have baited trailcams out right now, and when I actually do start hunting, the bait will no longer be there, so I will not be using bait for the purposes of hunting big game.
I feel, if nothing else, Corey's post shows why this law should be made clearer. I am breaking the law because I shoot a deer in November that I saw at my bait site 8 months earlier in March??? Sorry I'm not buying it.
It is unlawful to
1.set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
•bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting)

Do you consider your trail cams to be for the purpose of hunting big game?

It isn't my interpretation of this law, its literally what the law states. I posted it out of the regs above. Read it till you get it. If your trail cams are out to aid you in your hunt, then baiting them is illegal, even 8 months ago, even if you pick up the bait before the season starts. The minute you set out the bait, ( again, that's exactly what is against the law here), you have committed the offence. It is unlawful to set out bait for the purpose of big game hunting.... say it again. If they meant during a open season, the law would say that and if they meant that as long as you weren't with in a mile of where you placed the bait, again , the law would say that. It doesn't , it states that the unlawful act is setting out the bait.

You don't have to "buy it"... I get it. You are gonna do it, cause that's what you do regardless of the law.

Now maybe your trail cams are out cause you are a photographer huh?

Our definitions of hunting maybe the same or different, but the act of hunting isn't what makes the previous act ( of setting out bait) unlawful. Can you understand that?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is unlawful to
1.set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
•bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting)

Do you consider your trail cams to be for the purpose of hunting big game?

It isn't my interpretation of this law, its literally what the law states. I posted it out of the regs above. Read it till you get it. If your trail cams are out to aid you in your hunt, then baiting them is illegal, even 8 months ago, even if you pick up the bait before the season starts. The minute you set out the bait, ( again, that's exactly what is against the law here), you have committed the offence. It is unlawful to set out bait for the purpose of big game hunting.... say it again. If they meant during a open season, the law would say that and if they meant that as long as you weren't with in a mile of where you placed the bait, again , the law would say that. It doesn't , it states that the unlawful act is setting out the bait.

You don't have to "buy it"... I get it. You are gonna do it, cause that's what you do regardless of the law.

Now maybe your trail cams are out cause you are a photographer huh?

Our definitions of hunting maybe the same or different, but the act of hunting isn't what makes the previous act ( of setting out bait) unlawful. Can you understand that?
Corey, Corey, Corey. I thought it was the use of bait that we were having a difference of opinion about. Now your saying that trailcams are also illegal?
Anyways, to answer your question, NO, I do not think I am hunting with my trailcam. Once again you are proving my point for me.
Please show me where it states that it is an offence to place grain, feed or any other food substance out for deer. You say it is unlawfull, but it isn't.
You also state that using a trail cam is unlawfull. It isn't. As a matter of fact I think you can use a trail cam and sit in your blind with a trailcam right below you, and you are not breaking any laws.
I will say it again.....I have trailcams coupled with grain/hay (bait) set up this very minute. You are saying this is illegal. I don't think it is. Only when you are HUNTING is the use of bait prohibited. That is what it states in the wildlife act.
As for your statement about trailcams being ilegal, I'll be polite and just let that one slide. I don't think you really meant it.

EDIT.... I will say again that the only reason I am still debating/posting on this thread is because I think the law is vague and should be changed or "upgraded" so there is no confusion about the use of bait and when it is prohibited. Believe me, I have been on the wrong side of a reg in the past and have changed my position when it was shown that I was wrong. So far I have seen nothing on this thread to convince me that I am prohibited to use a trailcam and/or bait like I am currently doing. And believe me when I say that many others are using trailcams and/or bait in AB pre hunting season.

Last edited by waterninja; 03-16-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Corey, Corey, Corey. I thought it was the use of bait that we were having a difference of opinion about. Now your saying that trailcams are also illegal?
Anyways, to answer your question, NO, I do not think I am hunting with my trailcam. Once again you are proving my point for me.
Please show me where it states that it is an offence to place grain, feed or any other food substance out for deer. You say it is unlawfull, but it isn't.
You also state that using a trail cam is unlawfull. It isn't. As a matter of fact I think you can use a trail cam and sit in your blind with a trailcam right below you, and you are not breaking any laws.
I will say it again.....I have trailcams coupled with grain/hay (bait) set up this very minute. You are saying this is illegal. I don't think it is. Only when you are HUNTING is the use of bait prohibited. That is what it states in the wildlife act.
As for your statement about trailcams being ilegal, I'll be polite and just let that one slide. I don't think you really meant it.
I don't see anywhere in his post where he says trail cams are illegal ?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:09 PM

Sweet Jesus man. What difference would it make if they re wrote the law. You obviously can't read. Do you really believe your last post? You cannot be helped.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I don't see anywhere in his post where he says trail cams are illegal ?
In his 2nd para. when he asks me if i consider my trailcams are used for the purpose of hunting. Sounds like he's saying that it is wrong to do so, but if I am misreading his intent for posting that sentence then I'm happy to ignore it.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
In his 2nd para. when he asks me if i consider my trailcams are used for the purpose of hunting. Sounds like he's saying that it is wrong to do so, but if I am misreading his intent for posting that sentence then I'm happy to ignore it.
he is saying that as soon as you put bait in front of your trail cam.."for the purpose of hunting" either that day or 3 months from then, that's illegal.....but then you already knew that...
Old 03-16-2016, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sweet Jesus man. What difference would it make if they re wrote the law. You obviously can't read. Do you really believe your last post? You cannot be helped.
My goodness Corey, again you miss the point. I would like the reg to be rewritten so it's not so vague. How do you think this Thread started? It was started because someone else also wanted some clearer guidelines about this reg. This is not the first time this topic has come up. Guess I'm not the only one who thinks it is not clear.
If you honestly think that a person is breaking the law because he has a trailcam with bait set up today, then it is you that can't be helped.
I also think you should keep it civil. No I don't agree with your interpretation of this law, but I still believe you can be helped.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
he is saying that as soon as you put bait in front of your trail cam.."for the purpose of hunting" either that day or 3 months from then, that's illegal.....but then you already knew that...
Hal, I appreciate the effort but I suggest you back away slowly. I only got in this cause I felt FC needed some help explaining this to him, but now I realize my time would be better spent teaching algebra to a mag pie...
Old 03-16-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
My goodness Corey, again you miss the point. I would like the reg to be rewritten so it's not so vague. How do you think this Thread started? It was started because someone else also wanted some clearer guidelines about this reg. This is not the first time this topic has come up. Guess I'm not the only one who thinks it is not clear.
If you honestly think that a person is breaking the law because he has a trailcam with bait set up today, then it is you that can't be helped.
Yes, I am missing the point.