Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM

More pictures from BB416...

The Zoo

SE Slave from the Air

And the Yamaha Dealership.

Wow. CNN has an article with Video as well.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/16...f-9800/?hpt=T2
Old 05-16-2011, 02:07 PM

my goodness that just makes me ill to see. SL Yamaha is one of my dealers, I sure hope that they are all ok....that every one is ok.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Just got back from Slave Lake, was dispatched up there to help with evac of the town at about 1900 last night. I can say it went relatively well, although the comand post didnt have any power for about 2 hrs till we moved from the Nova Inn to the College. There was only one minor injury to a fire fighter and one medical call the whole time wich I thought was remarkable. One of the fellow EMT's was saying how it was so surreal for him, he was lying on the couch watching the first period of the game and by the time the third period started his house was nothing but ashes. Hard to begin to imagine what the three EMT's were thinking, and to think that they were actually out working rather then spending time with there familys was amazing.
I didnt read the whole thread but from the first few i read i can say that the RCMP station is STILL standing as i drove by it this AM, the hospital is deserted but no flames touched it.
All in all i think it was handled really well, RCMP were doing a fantastic job as louting was already starting this morning.
Here's hoping that all still up on scene stay safe. I do have some amazing video's I will try and get off of my phone to post as we were basically driving through the flames on main street to get to one gentelman who was left in the assissted living lodge and was trapped on the other side of the "fire wall"
Divert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Buddy I'm working with here just saw a picture of his neighborhood and house in Slave burnt to the ground...tough deal man all this has happened so fast...we are not far from Utikima Lake and there is a big fire there as well we think there may be some oil wells burning there, the winds are picking up here again not good....
Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Been following this on the news I am at a loss for words my thoughts are with all those affected and the men and women fighting the fire. Amazing no one has been hurt or worse.

cohod
Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Has anyone heard from Cal, or have his cell number?
Cat
Old 05-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Buddy I'm working with here just saw a picture of his neighborhood and house in Slave burnt to the ground...tough deal man all this has happened so fast...we are not far from Utikima Lake and there is a big fire there as well we think there may be some oil wells burning there, the winds are picking up here again not good....
Not much to say but... If we can help.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 PM

Man ,thats sad
Old 05-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Default Willing to help out

[B]Contact me if anyone needs to relocate livestock have 160 acres willing to help out have plenty of room for rv,s
Tomahawk AB area
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 PM

It's devastating to see what's happening all around Alberta with these fires. What is the worst is our company has 8 fire trucks sitting in the shop ready to role but hear we sit do to what I believe is the government not wanting to pay for our trucks and crew. So frustrating when all a firefighter/ medic wants is to help but we have to sit and watch.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Well, I finally got a hold of my sister around noon, they got out last night through Athabasca to Edmonton. She didn't have confirmation that her house is gone, but it was a half block east of the RCMP station, in the SE, and from what we have seen of overheads nothing is standing. Tough day for way too many people. It's odd how things happen sometimes, our Uncle passed away mid March, and his house has been unoccupied since then, so my sister and her family now have a furnished place to move right into (in Taber) until the dust and ashes settle. It's gonna be a tough rebuild. Hopefully nobody gets hurt, or worse, and prayers for all the firefighters trying to deal with this, that they'd be safe.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Hope everyone stays strong, tuff times for sure. Glad the AO folks are a good group and are helping out. Wish I was closer, fire there and water here and it's not even the 21st yet.
Good luck to all that are effected and good for all you that are helping out.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 PM

My and my families heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy.

tonight we are going thru all our stuff, that we can live without, and taking it into Reddeer.

As mentioned before, mere words cannot describe how we feel....very sureal.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Well I finally got confermation this morning that my house was leveled, not a great day thats for sure. We got some stuff out, was able to grab my bow and one rifle but that was about it. Can't even start to add up all the stuff I lost but were safe so thats all that matters. The stuff can be replaced but the thing that really gets me is that I lost all my mounts, sheds, rattling antlers. I don't know what to think anymore
~Scottie
Scottie, I'm so sorry for your loss. Like I just posted to Doug, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers, and if there is anything we can do to help you through this terrible time please ask..

Sean
Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
what are the winds like today?
Was calmer this morning picked up throughout the day. Gusting at the moment.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
[B]Contact me if anyone needs to relocate livestock have 160 acres willing to help out have plenty of room for rv,s
Tomahawk AB area
You can leave your name and contact information on this site for accommodations.

http://rebuildslavelake.blogspot.com/

For anyone looking for information on donating, volunteering or offering accommodations, all the relevant information is here and updated regularly.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

Those pics from BB416,- SE Slave Lake from the air, thats my - -was my house, left hand side, 1 third the way down, the one on the corner entering the culdesac.
Some things just don`t look the same from the air...
PS

If this might be the Scottie, I think it is, that was your guys boat, parked in my drive way. Sorry I couldn`t have taken better care of it....

Last edited by sourdough doug; 05-16-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
If this might be the Scottie, I think it is, that was your guys boat, parked in my drive way. Sorry I couldn`t have taken better care of it....
Doug, this was a natural disaster that nobody could have done anything about once the flames started and the winds were going. Don't feel bad about something you had no power over.

I am involved with the national and provincial building codes that are trying to improve the fire resistance and thermal protection of buildings. Even if we designed concrete bunkers for our homes, nothing could have stopped what folks are experiancing up there.

I've been after my company to try to do what they can to assist in the rebuild. I was shocked as to how many people in Calgary don't watch the news and weren't aware of the events taking place. One of my projects is the Millrise Condo fire rebuild here in Calgary, and we're still working on government approvals for the Killmorrey lodge fire in Waterton. I hope that my company will allow me to help in a profesional manner, aside from personal donations etc. For those in the construction industry, lobby your bosses and see what we can do collectively.

There are going to be a ton of tears. Thousands. Lots of things that people simply cannot replace. Photo's etc. That's probably the worst thing about these instances.

What everyone has though is family, and a sense of community of many many strangers pulling together to help each other out. My Grandpa used to tell me about communities pulling together back in the 30's and 40's. I saw this first hand being involved in the Pine Lake Tornado response and cleanup. I still have bonds with people I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Now we have a modern opportunity to make the best of a horrible horrible situation.

There are some quality folks willing to help out. What is an inconveniance for some, may end up being a huge hand up for others.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 AM

This is surreal, just seeing the destruction of it all, it's really hard to fathom what is going on up there just the sheer scale of it. It's hard to understand how it is able to happen and how quickly it hit. My prayers are with everyone affected by this and I will try to think of the way that I am best able to help out. I really don't know what to say but my thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 AM

poor slave lake, what about the other 36 out of control fires, and the 115 others burning in Alberta, other peoples proporty and livlyhood is probably going up in smoke to
fox creek and fort mac also affected, more thunder and lighting on the way god bless SLAVE LAKE
Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 AM

Busy at the tanker base. I filled every single plane working the Chisolm fire. Over 100,000 L of fluid in all. Pretty proud of my effort and the hand I had in getting that one sealed up.

As for Slave Lake, the pilots showed me some amazing photos that won't be released to the public. It looks like a scene right out of WW2. The destruction....my God. This will go down in history forever and someone needs to write a book someday to honor the brave effort put up by the Forestry crews, firefighters, water bombers, etc. They, by no means, gave up. They went till they absolutely could not go anymore.

The intense wind was bad for water bombers. Their loads were being thrown by the wind. Even by compensating they could not get their loads to hit the flames dead on. It must be awful to try your heart out and just have the forces of nature put up a brick wall.

I also feel the pain of all the animals. Pets, wildlife, livestock, they are truly the helpless and forgotten ones in all this.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Wind picking up tonight. Gusting almost as strong here as it was Sunday night.

I hope and prey no more people loose their homes to fire tonight.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:57 AM

Ive been spending a few hours this evening here reading and looking at the pictures . I'm just heart broken not even me being effected . But when OUR ( the members of this forum ) are effected , or there families are effected you gotta care about them .

By far the saddest picture I came across was this one here
Looks like the firemen / firewoman had one choice get the hell out of there or burn to death . Very sad to be defeated at there own game .
Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 AM

Sure hope all our members are safe. Please let us all know if there is anything we can do, get to help you all through this.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM

It's great to see so many AOF members and Albertans who are coming to the aid of the Slave Lake and area residents...the images and stories are sureal I feel deeply sorry for everyone affected. Its a blessing that all humans are accounted for, and made it out safely.

I am deeply saddened about the missing pets and worry about the farm animals and wildlife. I came across a Facebook page that is trying to relocate pets to their owners:

Slave Lake Evacuated Animals :
780-689-8570
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...62755673786997

God bless everyone,
Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfin View Post
It's great to see so many AOF members and Albertans who are coming to the aid of the Slave Lake and area residents...the images and stories are sureal I feel deeply sorry for everyone affected. Its a blessing that all humans are accounted for, and made it out safely.

I am deeply saddened about the missing pets and worry about the farm animals and wildlife. I came across a Facebook page that is trying to relocate pets to their owners:

Slave Lake Evacuated Animals :
780-689-8570
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...62755673786997

God bless everyone,
Sad. Like I said, I feel sorry for all the animals because in disasters like this. They are forgotten and helpless, especially if they were left locked in houses that went up.

I know the local radio station in LLB is accepting donations for residents. I am going to see if they are also taking donations of pet food and/or supplies and if they are donate something (if I get a chance to get off work here at the base before stores close).
Old 05-17-2011, 12:44 PM

We made it out ok, we were on our way back from the city when we heard our place was on a 2hr evacuation notice, and about an hour away when we heard that our area was being evacuated. As lone wolf mentioned enough cant be said for the fire crews and pilots, the water bombers and choppers were buzzing around like crazy as we got close to town one bomber dropped his load about 100-150 yrds out our passenger window, thats when we realized how bad it was.

Also the Athabasca residents that took charge of the the evacuees, from what i heard did an awesome job.

They were not going to let us into our residence until i said we had pets there, but only had a couple minutes to grab what we can, which wasnt much. We were forced back into slave after we left home(widewater/wagner area) and just couldnt beleive my eyes as to what was unfolding.

I think the hardest part for us is not knowing if we lost everything or not, yesterday morning the emotions kicked in a bit of losing everything as we were 99.9% certain we did lose our house. We did get word late last night that there was a good chance our house is still standing. I dont think we are out of the clear yet as i hear they are setting up a fire barrier around the widewater/wagner area so the fire is still not contained and the winds are blowing again today.

We have alot of friends that did lose their homes, and pray they recover and also thank everyone for their thought and prayers on here
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the update Shmag. Are things slowing down out there? Less wind, etc?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 PM

I am in Calgary, on my lunch break I am going to find out where to donate supplies, crates, food, bowls etc. for the animals. I am assuming and hope the Calgary Humane Society is collecting items, and local pet stores, once I find out I will post. (I 've got some stuff to donate)

This weekend I am gutting my closets and donating clothes jackets etc. I gathered 3 black garbage bags of items for the Millrise fire victims just over a year ago, its time to spring clean again! We used to live five houses away from the Millrise condo blaze and new two girls who lost everything and didn't have insurance. In Calgary there has been many house fires over the past couple years, many near our home in the SW. What's important to remember in any fire is that any material items can be replaced, not lives!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:57 PM

Shmag, glad you and your family (pets too!) are alright. Hoping for the best and that your property survived.

I am sitting here at the tanker base typing and as we speak a group of 415's from Quebec are on their way here to base. Just finished cleaning out an engineer bay for them. The more help the better.

Tags
fire, slave lake