Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 04:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
See, thats what happens when you are proved wrong and your loser of a team fails in its biggest game of the year. Enjoy this decade. I cant see it being any worse than the last one. The Oilers and their fans are the biggest laughing stocks in this league. 2 Games suspension I would assume..
Your just like a broken record, try some new drivel your getting to be a laughing stock on this board.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Ok I get Valimaki is a talented D man, but are we missing him? He is always hurt, would it be worth more to us to trade him if anyone wants a porcelain Defenseman that is. I guess if he played a bit and I seen the value might think differently, but right now I'm thinking move him for some scoring.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
You didn't make the greatest sales pitch to a team that may be interested in acquiring him. Do you think other teams see him as a talented D man when he hasn't been scouted in quite some time? Has he shown enough in this league to garner much in return? How much scoring would you give up for him if you were a GM in the league?

The only way to raise his stock and make him serious trade bait is for him to play and get some exposure, but the team may decide his potential outweighs his trade value. Good young defensemen don't grow on trees and Geo isn't getting any younger. What do the 1-2 and 3-4 defense parings look like 2 or 3 years from now?
Old 01-13-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
You didn't make the greatest sales pitch to a team that may be interested in acquiring him. Do you think other teams see him as a talented D man when he hasn't been scouted in quite some time? Has he shown enough in this league to garner much in return? How much scoring would you give up for him if you were a GM in the league?

The only way to raise his stock and make him serious trade bait is for him to play and get some exposure, but the team may decide his potential outweighs his trade value. Good young defensemen don't grow on trees and Geo isn't getting any younger. What do the 1-2 and 3-4 defense parings look like 2 or 3 years from now?
I agree with all this, like I said not sure anyone would be wanting him with his history. If he could stay healthy, he may be a big addition but dang him being out with injury non stop is crazy.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinman22 View Post
Your just like a broken record, try some new drivel your getting to be a laughing stock on this board.
X1000 Not too much real contribution/
Old 01-13-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinman22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler1 View Post
X1000 Not too much real contribution/
Jamie posts in here. If you don't like his contributions, stop intentionally stopping by to read them. Problem solved....
Old 01-13-2020, 10:24 AM

For all you fellas who think what Tkachuk did was a-ok, read through this article. And, if you feel you know more than the people quoted in it, then carry on as as before...

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...angerous-plays
Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I agree with all this, like I said not sure anyone would be wanting him with his history. If he could stay healthy, he may be a big addition but dang him being out with injury non stop is crazy.

That's true, some players "outgrow" or get past those issues and some don't. I wouldn't close the book on him yet though.

As it stands now, he likely doesn't have much trade value, if he doesn't get past his injury issues his trade value remains the same or lower going forward. But if he does, the potential is encouraging. Not a big gamble to hang on to him to see which way it goes.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
The code doesn't apply in a 3-3 hockey game. Come on BD... Look what it cost that team. Horrible selfish choice and was sucked into a penalty that cost his team the game. MT did his job to perfection. I stand by what I said. I dont like that the league is/has changed. I appreciate old school/honest stuff. But those were solid hits. Kass just has his panties in a knot for getting run over .
Most all the hockey world would disagree with you....

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...box=1578895590
Old 01-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Without clicking on that link, ^, let me guess before reading it, an article from the Edmonton Journal is going to be competely unbiased and look at the event with an open mind, layout the facts, the present judgement?

We can post articles all day long SNS.....

How about this one? Link

Your article/sources loose all credibility if they call those hits "head shots" by the way. Not sure how you can watch the video multiple times, in slow motion even, and insist on keep calling them both "head shots".
Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
That's true, some players "outgrow" or get past those issues and some don't. I wouldn't close the book on him yet though.

As it stands now, he likely doesn't have much trade value, if he doesn't get past his injury issues his trade value remains the same or lower going forward. But if he does, the potential is encouraging. Not a big gamble to hang on to him to see which way it goes.
I would agree that his value is likely at an all time low and hope they keep him around. Think he's got some good potential.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

Boo Hoo already!
How many times do we need Quotes from the "Rag" that is the Edmonton Journal posted? Must be Gospel?
Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
For all you fellas who think what Tkachuk did was a-ok, read through this article. And, if you feel you know more than the people quoted in it, then carry on as as before...

Kassian has dished more than his share of those hits, and left his feet like a Raffi Torres doing it (watch him on Dillon). So, he got to take a couple from Tkuchuk, who obviously doesn't like him either, and targeted him. Boo boo. You don't see Tkuchuk running McKinnon, like Kassian did. He didn't run McDavid or Draisaitl. He ran a tough guy plug that he has a history with. So sad. In context, I think it's funny. If he had done that to McDavid, not. Context. Kassian has just as much or more dirt on his record, I don't feel sorry at all that he got targeted. As far as Tkuchuk not fighting him....Why would he? He is getting so much mileage out of this feud it's ridiculous. Kassian cost them the game winning goal.

I will say though that the first hit he put on Kassian looked to me (by far) the worse hit, and can't figure out how player safety let's it slide. Or the refs. To me, that was the bad hit, but its not my call, I have no whistle.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-13-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturalwoodsman View Post
Boo Hoo already!
How many times do we need Quotes from the "Rag" that is the Edmonton Journal posted? Must be Gospel?
Some funny stuff in there though. Like, I never new wingers were only allowed to hit people in specific sections of the ice, that Kassian is trying to deter hitting, although he's clearly made similar hits, etc.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Some funny stuff in there though. Like, I never new wingers were only allowed to hit people in specific sections of the ice, that Kassian is trying to deter hitting, although he's clearly made similar hits, etc.
Kass isn't saying that at all, but old school says if you are going to lay out big hits, get ready to answer the bell and not turtle. This isn't a case of a goon coming in to attack a player that has hit another player.

Player A (Kass) gets hit by player B (Tkacuck). Player A takes exception to being hit several times that are debatable borderline hits and wants him to atone for it. Player B turtles and can't take the heat.

I think he gets 3 games.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Right,
But these Oiler fans act like it was Lucic that hit Kassian and then wouldn't fight. Figure it out boys Kassian is a thug who would have zero points on any other team, and would get minimal minutes or would simply be a healthy scratch most nights! This is pretty basic stuff! Tkachuk is more of a complete player!

Kassian = Thug (With a hearing)
Old 01-13-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Boo Hoo already!
The comments are not from Edmonton reporters or even local sport casters. It is from players and broadcasters around the entire league, even a few american softie's. The article was in response to Jamie's comment that the "code" can be turned on and off based on the game. But when a game is tied 3 to 3, a fight between 2 willing combatants should be a wash. Thachuk wouldn't fight, didn't respect the "code", and that is why he is being called out by virtually everyone except Flames fans. Maybe after the trade deadline and Calgary moves some players, we might get an interview from an ex-Calgary player and see how the room really feels about Thachuk's cowardness.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Right,
But these Oiler fans act like it was Lucic that hit Kassian and then wouldn't fight. Figure it out boys Kassian is a thug who would have zero points on any other team, and would get minimal minutes or would simply be a healthy scratch most nights! This is pretty basic stuff! Tkachuk is more of a complete player!

Kassian = Thug (With a hearing)
So who on the Oiler line up would he actually dance with????? Benning small enough? Archibald? Gagner? Maybe he would throw them with Joey?
Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
See, thats what happens when you are proved wrong and your loser of a team fails in its biggest game of the year. Enjoy this decade. I cant see it being any worse than the last one. The Oilers and their fans are the biggest laughing stocks in this league. 2 Games suspension I would assume..
Give Jamie a break, I think he is a old school flames fan with a lot of dislike for the oilers, imagine being a fan of the flames in the 80's having a great team but being beat by the provincial rivals. He lived the real battle of Alberta and watched the oilers win 5 cups up the road while his flames won 1, and with great teams I might add. That would be hard to take, just imagine!! New fans don't understand how deep his wounds really are. Now he has a chance to try to give some back and he is doing it while having fun. Give the guy a break!! We call it the battle of Alberta while the rest of the league calls it the toilet bowl.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I will say though that the first hit he put on Kassian looked to me (by far) the worse hit, and can't figure out how player safety let's it slide. Or the refs. To me, that was the bad hit, but its not my call, I have no whistle.
And that's the game. If that was called correctly, 5 minutes and a game misconduct, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Who knows the results but Edmonton does have the best PP in the league and the Flames would be without turtle for the game. There certainly wouldn't be a 4 minute penalty to Kassian late in the game.

Unless of course you are saying that the Flames are a better team without turtle, in that case I agree with you.

No one is denying that Kassian has laid out some nasty hits but he also received penalties and/or suspensions, not a free pass.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The comments are not from Edmonton reporters or even local sport casters. It is from players and broadcasters around the entire league, even a few american softie's. The article was in response to Jamie's comment that the "code" can be turned on and off based on the game. But when a game is tied 3 to 3, a fight between 2 willing combatants should be a wash. Thachuk wouldn't fight, didn't respect the "code", and that is why he is being called out by virtually everyone except Flames fans. Maybe after the trade deadline and Calgary moves some players, we might get an interview from an ex-Calgary player and see how the room really feels about Thachuk's cowardness.

You didn't actually honestly think the "Rag" would post comments otherwise that saw Tkachuk in the right did you?
Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
So who on the Oiler line up would he actually dance with????? Benning small enough? Archibald? Gagner? Maybe he would throw them with Joey?

Is Draisaitl fighting if he hits some Thug?
Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
You didn't actually honestly think the "Rag" would post comments otherwise that saw Tkachuk in the right did you?
Yes I am sure they mis-quoted everyone in the article.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:

No but they found right quotes to publish, you Edmontonian's would burn the Journal down if not!
Old 01-13-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Kass isn't saying that at all, but old school says if you are going to lay out big hits, get ready to answer the bell and not turtle. This isn't a case of a goon coming in to attack a player that has hit another player.

Player A (Kass) gets hit by player B (Tkacuck). Player A takes exception to being hit several times that are debatable borderline hits and wants him to atone for it. Player B turtles and can't take the heat.

I think he gets 3 games.
You bet. Was more referencing some of the quotes not made by Kass.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:22 AM

For next game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ward Meme.jpg (22.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-13-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Can you please post a link to this so called code Tkatchuk did not follow by fighting Kass, I don't see anything in the rule book about it?

It feels like a grey area.

If Tkatchuk had hit McDavid, he would have had to fight Kass as Kass was standing up for his teammate?

So in this situation since he hit Kass and McDavid came in and cross checked him protecting his teammate, shouldn't Tkatchuck have fought McDavid?

Isn't the so called "code" defending your teammate. Most of the time when this happens even if it is a willing combatant you see 1 maybe two punches thrown and the guys are wrestled to the ground. I wouldn't consider any of them being a fight.

Tkatchuk had two options;

1) Drop his gloves and take his chances
2) Protect himself and cover up

He took Kas's shots, he didn't complain about it.

He did exactly what every Coach he has ever had has probably told him, Do not retaliate and take a bad penalty.

Part of his job is to draw penalties he did that perfectly.

Kas got his shots in so not sure what everyone is so upset about.

The league said the hits were legal, they were not to the head. He should not have to fight someone for a legal body check.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

I guess in the cold hard light of day the Oilers could send in the video to the league office and state their case again and ask them to reconsider.

Personally I don't see the head targeting and hit at the 9:00 minute mark as some reference in that article. The reason Kassians head snaps to the right with the hit is that it isn't contacted or supported by any part of Tkachuk's body. The momentum causes his helmet to fly off and it looks dramatic but the head wasn't targeted or contacted in my opinion.

Video attached:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11MBII7GLY

For examples of targeting the head and leaving your feet to do so, as well as lying in wait to hit an unsuspecting player, two videos are also attached. How do they compare to the Tkachuk hit? You don't see the head snap in these because it was contacted and supported by the aggressors body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8PXcT8gfYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8PXcT8gfYk

As for former players being the only ones to have valid or somehow superior opinions, well I guess all hockey related threads on the forum should be restricted to former NHL players only then. And only former players should be allowed to referee or officiate NHL games, not to mention hold every position in the league office related to player issues. Wait a minute... I think they do. Ask Quintal (head of player safety) what his opinion is.

As for A-OK, well that's subjective no doubt. What is the definition of A-OK anyhow? The hits weren't penalized nor suspended, we know that for sure. Does that make them A-OK? Opinions vary.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...dle-taking-one
Old 01-13-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The problem lies with the guys being quoted, Upshall trying to say its not a hockey play, and claimed there was a instigator penalty...clearly he has had a few concussions of his own as he not sure how the penalties are called or the fact that Even the author of the article understands that Kassian got off light not getting a fighting major or even more.

As for stock, guys are much safer now than they were back when the so called game was different. He is trying to justify the actions as dangerous because of concussions being caused but then thinks the answer is to fight and punch each other in the head? Hmm again another 4th liner puncher that seems a bit confused

Your own coach and player involved said the hitting was fine so makes the need for the other players opinions null no? Everyone just wants to see more punching after the fact and thats fine, we can get to that next time they meet up.

As for the code, well just remember who the star player involved here is, and its not Kassian come take runs at him and see the response the other way, Oilers have more to lose taking it to the trenches
Old 01-13-2020, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Jamie posts in here. If you don't like his contributions, stop intentionally stopping by to read them. Problem solved....
You two are close huh. You too are a legend in your own mind.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
Can you please post a link to this so called code Tkatchuk did not follow by fighting Kass, I don't see anything in the rule book about it?

It feels like a grey area.

If Tkatchuk had hit McDavid, he would have had to fight Kass as Kass was standing up for his teammate?

So in this situation since he hit Kass and McDavid came in and cross checked him protecting his teammate, shouldn't Tkatchuck have fought McDavid?

Isn't the so called "code" defending your teammate. Most of the time when this happens even if it is a willing combatant you see 1 maybe two punches thrown and the guys are wrestled to the ground. I wouldn't consider any of them being a fight.

Tkatchuk had two options;

1) Drop his gloves and take his chances
2) Protect himself and cover up

He took Kas's shots, he didn't complain about it.

He did exactly what every Coach he has ever had has probably told him, Do not retaliate and take a bad penalty.

Part of his job is to draw penalties he did that perfectly.

Kas got his shots in so not sure what everyone is so upset about.

The league said the hits were legal, they were not to the head. He should not have to fight someone for a legal body check.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwe6LgsPn-A&t=803s

Enjoy.... and maybe you could pass on a copy to Thachuk... Thanks