Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 06:31 AM
Banned

I was really hoping to go with a 6.5x300rum. The advice I got was it's been tried before and didn't really work that good. With your plan to go to a 6.5x300wby I'd price compare a new barrel vs buying a factory chambered 26 nosler. My cost comparison showed for a couple hundred more I could buy a new 26 nosler. I figure I'll buy a 26 nosler or since we're talking 6.5, a 6.5 nosler and rebarrel my 300 rum to a 35x300rum.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You will shoot the Grendel or CM 1000 to 1 over your 6.5 300 whatever. THAT is the difference.
Some people get it Chuck, some don't. I'll bet that the guy shooting the Grendel, or Creedmoor for that matter will be more accurate 10/10 times than someone shooting a magnum. I'll bet that the guy shooting the Grendel or the Creedmoor will put more animals on the ground as well.

I know a guy who has killed 3 Boone and Crockett whitetails, one Boone and Crockett mule deer, and several moose and elk, all with him 6mm Winchester model 88.

Chest pounding and gun powder won't kill animals, but it'll make some people think otherwise. I'll take accuracy over gunpowder to give me confidence in my shooting any day.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:54 AM

Intresting thread indeed

Funny thing is that the right rifle and cartrage will shoot good groups, and put critters in the freezer.

The good old cartrages have taken alot of game over the years, most likely they will continue to so.

As stated earlier, the right firearm and shooter combine will gets the job done.

Don
Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 AM

If I build a 6.5-300wby it would only be used for hunting. For target work I prefer heavy barrels so I’m not sitting waiting for barrels to cool all day.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If I build a 6.5-300wby it would only be used for hunting. For target work I prefer heavy barrels so I’m not sitting waiting for barrels to cool all day.
I prefer to shoot what I intend to kill with a lot.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Some people get it Chuck, some don't. I'll bet that the guy shooting the Grendel, or Creedmoor for that matter will be more accurate 10/10 times than someone shooting a magnum. I'll bet that the guy shooting the Grendel or the Creedmoor will put more animals on the ground as well.

I know a guy who has killed 3 Boone and Crockett whitetails, one Boone and Crockett mule deer, and several moose and elk, all with him 6mm Winchester model 88.

Chest pounding and gun powder won't kill animals, but it'll make some people think otherwise. I'll take accuracy over gunpowder to give me confidence in my shooting any day.
What magazine article are you reading now to come up with that horse ****?

I know a guy to. The guy I know always said don't believe everything you hear and only believe half of what you see. Good advice imo.

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 06-28-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You will shoot the Grendel or CM 1000 to 1 over your 6.5 300 whatever. THAT is the difference.
This is exactly my draw to the Grendel. My boys are 9 and 11.

We love calling for them and will take a few big game animals a year for the freezer. With the howa mini action and the mdt lss chassis i can build them little Grendels that they will never outgrow and potentially never wear out either. If they never wanted another rifle for what we do they wouldn't need one but for everything from practice, picking off rocks in the distance for fun, varmint work, big game, cheap ammo costs...reload or factory. The little booger has the s.d. and velocity to do anything we need in in the 99% of situations typical of hunting. We can stretch it out for the hung up coyotes. The best part is recoil and muzzle blast won't be an issue. Also thinking about landowners and noise etc. The Grendel will be polite compared to most, more shooting with less annoyance to others too. We often want more, but the truth is we don't needmoor.

I'm an efficiency and versatility fan so that's part of my interest for my own Grendel too, i'll walk the walk.

Hope the rest of the bolt action manufacturers come up with some bolts in this chambering, it's a gem. Currently cz/howa/ruger are selling really well. Maybe not here but in the land of guns they sure are and the amount of AR builds going on i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just as popular as the .223 now. Anybody doing anything beyond range work is likely doing 6.5 G uppers etc. Huge market for these down south. I just want to see more bolt action stuff and recognition in the land of the magnums lol.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post

I know a guy to. The guy I know always said don't believe everything you hear and only believe half of what you see. Good advice imo.
Two of the older long time Alberta hunters i know with gobs of stuff on the wall finished the last half (still finishing) or more than the the last half of their hunting time, one with .243 and one with 6mm rem. They've been killing with them for so long they'd never even think to question the capability.

The amount of sheep hunting between them is incredible, add in all the elk etc. Anyway, if you watch the .243 threads here there are also quite a few long time hunters successful and shooting the .243 for everything for ages etc.

So i'll be backing Kurt up here...i know more than one guy.

Point is the hunter is not the cartridge. Good hunters/killers will do it with whatever, maybe though they figured out along the way that more is not always more effective.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:

I know a guy to.
With what horse ****?

Are you referring to the guy I know, Harvey with his 6mm 88? He's just a hunter from around my area that has a trophy room like none I've seen before. He's proof that a big gun is good for the ego but don't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to killing things. It doesn't matter how fast you miss the vitals, nor does it matter how fast you hit them, it's hitting them that matters.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
With what horse ****?

Are you referring to the guy I know, Harvey with his 6mm 88? He's just a hunter from around my area that has a trophy room like none I've seen before. He's proof that a big gun is good for the ego but don't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to killing things. It doesn't matter how fast you miss the vitals, nor does it matter how fast you hit them, it's hitting them that matters.
I think he’s reffering to where you got your info that a Grendel or creedmoor is more accurate than a magnum.

I’m curious to know also. Main reason that I think this could happen is if you have a flinch or are scared of your rifle.

As for barres Burning out, and your getting a high end rifle. Why not get a gunwerks? They offer a lifetime barrel replacement policy. You burn it out, they spin on a new one for free.. pretty good deal if you ask me. Plus they are guaranteed to shoot sub half moa.

Tell me how your Grendel or creedmoor will out shoot this?
That’s shots 3,4,5 out of my 300 win mag with an Es of 9 FPS
Using factory hornady precision hunter 200 gr eldx’s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C9557A10-460C-413D-ADA5-0CDBE6163D35.jpg (31.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

It’s obvious that we have different opinions Kurt

You value extreme light weight to your rigs
Your willing to sacrifice velocity to obtain that and to comfortable you shout your rifles
Accuracy is essential

I’d rather have a little heavier rifle 8-9lb scoped
But I’d rather shoot the same size billet faster. Which come with more recoil
Accuracy is essential to me as well

Personally I’ve had a few ultra lights and they didn’t work for me
I found that I couldn’t shoot them as accurately as I would have liked
I found that magnums with a little more weight actually shot more comfortablely and more accurately. And I really like the performance on game that comes with the extra speed.

To each their own, but I’d rather carry 2 or 3 extra pounds and know that bullet is going exactly where I want it to go every time. If I need to shave weight then I’ll get a lighter pack or lighter gear. But I’d personally like my rifles a little heavier shooting a bullet with lots of FPS.

That’s just me
Old 06-28-2018, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I think he’s reffering to where you got your info that a Grendel or creedmoor is more accurate than a magnum.

I’m curious to know also. Main reason that I think this could happen is if you have a flinch or are scared of your rifle.

As for barres Burning out, and your getting a high end rifle. Why not get a gunwerks? They offer a lifetime barrel replacement policy. You burn it out, they spin on a new one for free.. pretty good deal if you ask me. Plus they are guaranteed to shoot sub half moa.

I bought Nula's because they are 6lbs scoped. I don't use a window sill as a rest, when I hunt it's on my feet, this year might be a bit different coming fresh off a broken leg, but still hunting is my preference.

I shoot lots, enough not to have a flinch I'll assure you of that. I shoot enough to know that after 20-30 rounds out of a 6-1/2lb magnum that I'd much rather be shooting my non magnum rifles. With my Creedmoor I'll load up 200 rounds of bullets and blast them off a bag in an evening or two, something I don't think I would want to do even with my old Weatherby Accumark 300mag (which was probably the most accurate rifle I think I've ever owned but hated to pack around on an all day hunt).

Ya, I can shoot tiny ragged hole groups off the bench with almost every rifle I've owned no matter what headstamp was on it, but that's not hunting. If you've ever held a Nula that was built specifically for you, you would see that the weight of the rifle doesn't matter, it's the balance that allows you to hold steady on target. Melvin builds ultralight rifles that naturally hold steady on target. The only other rifle I've ever owned that holds as well on target is my M70 featherweight, and that rifle kills everything I shoot at.

Experience tells me I don't need a magnum to kill anything I hunt here in Canada, what more can I say? I know so many hunters who have never owned a magnum but seem to fill their tags every year so that should explain why I think the magnum thing is just plain overkill.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Two of the older long time Alberta hunters i know with gobs of stuff on the wall finished the last half (still finishing) or more than the the last half of their hunting time, one with .243 and one with 6mm rem. They've been killing with them for so long they'd never even think to question the capability.

The amount of sheep hunting between them is incredible, add in all the elk etc. Anyway, if you watch the .243 threads here there are also quite a few long time hunters successful and shooting the .243 for everything for ages etc.

So i'll be backing Kurt up here...i know more than one guy.

Point is the hunter is not the cartridge. Good hunters/killers will do it with whatever, maybe though they figured out along the way that more is not always more effective.
My point exactly. You don't need a creedmore to be successful. People shoot booners with big guns and little guns.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Yes that was the horse**** I was referring to.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
I bought Nula's because they are 6lbs scoped. I don't use a window sill as a rest, when I hunt it's on my feet, this year might be a bit different coming fresh off a broken leg, but still hunting is my preference.

I shoot lots, enough not to have a flinch I'll assure you of that. I shoot enough to know that after 20-30 rounds out of a 6-1/2lb magnum that I'd much rather be shooting my non magnum rifles. With my Creedmoor I'll load up 200 rounds of bullets and blast them off a bag in an evening or two, something I don't think I would want to do even with my old Weatherby Accumark 300mag (which was probably the most accurate rifle I think I've ever owned but hated to pack around on an all day hunt).

Ya, I can shoot tiny ragged hole groups off the bench with almost every rifle I've owned no matter what headstamp was on it, but that's not hunting. If you've ever held a Nula that was built specifically for you, you would see that the weight of the rifle doesn't matter, it's the balance that allows you to hold steady on target. Melvin builds ultralight rifles that naturally hold steady on target. The only other rifle I've ever owned that holds as well on target is my M70 featherweight, and that rifle kills everything I shoot at.

Experience tells me I don't need a magnum to kill anything I hunt here in Canada, what more can I say? I know so many hunters who have never owned a magnum but seem to fill their tags every year so that should explain why I think the magnum thing is just plain overkill.
I'm gonna figure you've never really hunted in the territories. When you want to anchor something 1500lbs or bigger leave your creedmore at home but I got no doubt you know better then I.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
My point exactly. You don't need a creedmore to be successful. People shoot booners with big guns and little guns.
I never said anyone needs a Creedmoor, all I said was you don't need a magnum! Sheesh. You're the one saying I needmore, remember?

Let's be honest, more trigger time will result in better accuracy. How many rounds do you figure you'll put through the pipe of your 300rum in an evening?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm gonna figure you've never really hunted in the territories. When you want to anchor something 1500lbs or bigger leave your creedmore at home but I got no doubt you know better then I.
Ya, I hunt elephants all the time too.

Just a grain of common sense would go a long way here. Now you just sound foolish.

I've never hunted the territories, nor do I ever plan to, but if I did it wouldn't be with a Creedmoor, nor would it be with a magnum.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
I never said anyone needs a Creedmoor, all I said was you don't need a magnum! Sheesh. You're the one saying I needmore, remember?

Let's be honest, more trigger time will result in better accuracy. How many rounds do you figure you'll put through the pipe of your 300rum in an evening?
None. Don't have it anymore.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ya, I hunt elephants all the time too.

Just a grain of common sense would go a long way here. Now you just sound foolish.

I've never hunted the territories, nor do I ever plan to, but if I did it wouldn't be with a Creedmoor, nor would it be with a magnum.
You mentioned hunting in Canada. No elephants in Canada.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
You mentioned hunting in Canada. No elephants in Canada.
I also mentioned anything I hunt, you missed that.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
I also mentioned anything I hunt, you missed that.
Then your 6.5 will do fine I'm sure. Small gun small animals. Big gun big animals.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Banned

So what do you give them for specs when you order a NULA?

I’m 5’6 140lbs and I can’t fit through a door since my head/ego is so big?

It’s not a 250,000 holland and holland bud
It’s a 3500 rifle who’s components are probably 2/3’s the price
You need to come back to reality here

I’m sure it’s a nice rifle for what you want to do
All I’m saying is other people may prefer different and you can’t seem to acknowledge this?

I’ve been a guide for this long and blah blah blah
Once I hear that all I think is this guy has tunnel vision
This guy has been stuck in the same zones, hunting the same spots, the same way for a long time
Sure it may work but it doesn’t mean that it’s the best
Are there good guides out there... you bet
Are there poor guides out there.. for sure

Last year was a good year. I went 8/8 on animals outside of the province. The last thing I want to do is hand over a wad of cash for an animal that falls off a cliff and gets busted up or you have to wait til morning to find, Hopefully before a predator does. Or have to chase something for miles or a couple ridges because they had a strong will to live

UOTE=Kurt505;3804485]I bought Nula's because they are 6lbs scoped. I don't use a window sill as a rest, when I hunt it's on my feet, this year might be a bit different coming fresh off a broken leg, but still hunting is my preference.

Experience tells me I don't need a magnum to kill anything I hunt here in Canada, what more can I say? I know so many hunters who have never owned a magnum but seem to fill their tags every year so that should explain why I think the magnum thing is just plain overkill.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Then your 6.5 will do fine I'm sure. Small gun small animals. Big gun big animals.
I know, that's what I've been saying. I don't hunt anything bigger than a moose or elk.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lol that’s awesome
Old 06-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know, that's what I've been saying. I don't hunt anything bigger than a moose or elk.
Shoot what you want, how you want , with what you want, however many times you want. It means sfa to me. If your rifle puts more meat in the freezer and know a guy then you are the boss. Well done on your claim to notoriety.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Shoot what you want, how you want , with what you want, however many times you want. It means sfa to me. If your rifle puts more meat in the freezer and know a guy then you are the boss. Well done on your claim to notoriety.
Why such hurt feelings over my choice of rifle then? Obviously you care quite a bit about my choice in cartridges, this is a thread about the 6.5 Grendel which is a cartridge I said is most definitely a capable big game cartridge, you're the one piping up about how it isn't.

My rifles have all kept my freezer full and have given me a trophy room most on this forum would be proud of, and it's got nothing to do with the headstamp on any rifle I've carried, this I know from experience. No matter how angry you get, or what type of insult you want to slide in, you're not going to convince me that a big gun = success in the field because I know better.

You like magnums, cool, but it doesn't mean a Grendel will have a problem killing a big buck at 300yds and that's what this is all about.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Banned

No hurt feelings or anger. Not trying to convince you of anything. Really truthfully means squat to me what you shoot for a rifle or who and how many are envious of your trophy room. You're happy with it is all that really matters. I'm sure we'll hear how great the creedmore is in the future. My trophy room is nothing to brag about because there's always one better. I'm glad it's yours. Congrats once again.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:12 PM

No use arguing or getting mad boys because in reality it just doesn’t matter. If Kurt likes a Creedmoor that’s no ones business but his own and I’m sure it will kill moose dead as dead. If NW wanted a 6.5-300 Rum I would build it. Different strokes for different folks.
I probably won’t ever own a Creedmoor as I’ve already got a couple 6.5x55’s and a 6.5-284 and the safes are pretty full.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Banned

fer cryin outloud, thought we had a wrap on this one

everyone
Old 06-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Banned

Once again I could care less what caliber you choose and your reasoning
My only problems is that I don’t think a person like you would give an honest assessment of this caliber if it doesn’t perform. Your ego is too big to say “hey guys I might have been wrong with this one”. I hope it works for you... I really do. Good luck with your creedmoor