Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Gone Fishing

Tinted windows= vanity BS and you should just buy a dress and nail polish,lol. Its a vehicle to drive our sorry lazy asses around, nothing more. Save the cash for beers and other important things you want or need.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
I've had "medium" tinted front door windows on all my vehicles in last 12 years. Got in trouble once - went through the RCMP roadblock over one of the long weekends, had an option of either removing the film right there or getting the ticket. Peeled it off, had it re-tint the first business day after. A couple of times when i was beside the cop on the street had the following conversation:
" hey son, you know it is illegal to have front windows tinted. - Yeah, i heard. -You should probably take care of that. -Yeah, i probably should. -Well, have a good day".

As far as the reason why it is illegal - it is all BS. They say it is for our protection. LoL.
I didn't know there was the shooting years ago that apparently involved the vehicle with tinted windows.
I guess that's the typical reaction to any major event, that the law getting pushed on top of the emotions. Look at all that crapstorm about assault weaps and hi-cap magazines after Aurora and Newtown.

I spent last summer in Houston. 99% of the vehicles on the road have limo tint all the way around, including police cruisers. It's just make sense with the weather. And i am quite sure the police officers are capable of doing their jobs there, tinted window or not.
The issue is whether or not they can see you while approaching during a traffic stop....they want to know if your pointing a gun at them...
Old 07-13-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
The issue is whether or not they can see you while approaching during a traffic stop....they want to know if your pointing a gun at them...
I saw couple times black pick up truck with all windows tinted.
Then all light suddenly going on and guy in uniform getting out of that truck.
So every time I see tinted truck I assume its cop.
Fill crappy too-what if he pointing gun on me
Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
X2..... Being able to see through the windows allows officers to see if people are shuffling around trying to stash things like guns booze or drugs. Cant see that sort of thing through blackened windows...
I think that is the real reason more so than the officers safety. Cops notice alot through windows. They are trained to deciepher peoples mannerisms as they approach or stop vehicles. Cant see people trying to hide stuff or acting all fidgety through black windows..
Old 07-13-2013, 12:50 AM

Then why are back windows allowed to be tinted?

You can't see through my back window so I could have a gun pointed at them. They wouldn't know until they were at my front window.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Then why are back windows allowed to be tinted?

You can't see through my back window so I could have a gun pointed at them. They wouldn't know until they were at my front window.
Maybe its all about the cash cow...... Might miss handing out some seatbelt tickets if side windows are tinted......after all.... A policemans main job is to collecting money no?
Old 07-13-2013, 04:17 AM

I had a pimply 20 yr old back over my shopping cart in the supermarket parking lot a couple years ago. Dam near got me at the same time. There was a "discussion" that ensued, where i asked him to pay me for the groceries he destroyed. He said it wasn't his fault he couldn't see me because his rear window was heavily tinted and it was dark outside and he said he didn't have his wallet with him, anyway.

So I took a picture of his car parked on top of my cart and he suddenly found his wallet just as i started to dial 9-1-1.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 AM

Default More cash cows

I want Calgary to have as many cash cows as they can....we need the dough.

Besides those wanna be bangers should be unmasked.....every time

You see some ******** driving like a moron .....full tint ....
Old 07-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
X2..... Being able to see through the windows allows officers to see if people are shuffling around trying to stash things like guns booze or drugs. Cant see that sort of thing through blackened windows...
I think that is the real reason more so than the officers safety. Cops notice alot through windows. They are trained to deciepher peoples mannerisms as they approach or stop vehicles. Cant see people trying to hide stuff or acting all fidgety through black windows..
It is not the cop's safety, but yours in a crash. The tint prevents the window from shattering in a crash, and this in turn has the potential to snap your neck.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
It is not the cop's safety, but yours in a crash. The tint prevents the window from shattering in a crash, and this in turn has the potential to snap your neck.
Vehicle windows have a plastic (?) membrane in them to prevent shattering, I doubt the window tinting alone would do the same!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
Vehicle windows have a plastic (?) membrane in them to prevent shattering, I doubt the window tinting alone would do the same!
Sorry but wrong. Only the windshield is laminated. The side and rear windows are made of safety glass meant to shatter when broken which doesn't happen when tinted or having a film on them. Otherwise one little rock and your windshield would explode.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 AM

For 99 percent of the people, the advantages of tint do outweigh the disadvantages. Most who bitch about it have never had tinted windows. I will pay the "tax" to keep mine.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM

This is 7 pages of pure stunning and riveting information....I can't not follow this!

LC
Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
For 99 percent of the people, the advantages of tint do outweigh the disadvantages. Most who bitch about it have never had tinted windows. I will pay the "tax" to keep mine.
I'm not trying to troll here, but what are the advantages of tinted windows other than the obvious reduction of sun glare?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 AM

How many accident victims have been ejected sideways through broken "safety" glass and killed?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 AM

People with tinted windows know its a law and choose to break it. BOO HOO, Quit your crying and take the tinting off your windows if you dont want another one. This thread is hilarious..... just like all the other ones that start out where law enforcement are actually out enforcing the laws and people complain when its there turn to feel the burn in there pocket book from it.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 AM

I love the obvious advantage of having a cooler vehicle in the summer and reducing all the glare in the winter. My eyes are a little more sensitive than most and it really helps. Plus, I enjoy a bit of privacy, too. I hate when I pull up to a light and some goofball always has to look in.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Anyway in an accident your tinted window turns into a big cheese grader for your face. For me that's reason enough to never put that crap on my vehicle.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 AM

It's an arbitrary law, but a law none the less. Obey it or take your chances. Its your choice. Same as distracted driving or any other law. You have no reason to get your panties in a knot about it if you get a ticket. Like someone already posted its a vanity thing.

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
I love the obvious advantage of having a cooler vehicle in the summer and reducing all the glare in the winter. My eyes are a little more sensitive than most and it really helps. Plus, I enjoy a bit of privacy, too. I hate when I pull up to a light and some goofball always has to look in.
Sensitive eyes eh? Well now ya see unless you have an actual UV/A UV/B tint. the datk film is doing the opposite of what you think . See the tint darkens the interior of the car /truck . This causes the pupil to dilate, however with out the UV block the light is damaging your eyes . Unless you have a factory tint you got on the cheep sunglasses.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Sensitive eyes eh? Well now ya see unless you have an actual UV/A UV/B tint. the datk film is doing the opposite of what you think . See the tint darkens the interior of the car /truck . This causes the pupil to dilate, however with out the UV block the light is damaging your eyes . Unless you have a factory tint you got on the cheep sunglasses.
I'm pretty sure that 99% of the tinting films out there are 99.9% UVA/B blocking.

Advantages: cooler in the summer, people can't see in at night, people can't break in as easily, a front end crash won't shatter the side glass everywhere, looks 10x better.

Disadvantages: in a bad crash it won't shatter, night visibility reduced (but not a lot if your tint isn't limo), tickets.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 PM

I have had the tinted window fine as well, stopped on the coquihalla heading down to Vancouver, officers said that he was going to take a exacto knife and take a piece off or hand me a fine, its a brand new tundra with all the goodies and looks perfect, I said no chance your taking a chunk off and give me the fine.
So he did.
Anyway to put a end to the wondering why they hand out those fines, its actually for our own safety, all windshields are made to spider on impact during a accident, if the tint film is on there is doesnt allow the window to shatter into small non lethal pieces, thats the number one reason,
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Clarify

So the clarify a few things I've read...

1. If you get charged with section 70(1) AR122/2009 you could
fight your $57 ticket on the grounds you didn't install it yourself
2. If you get charged with section 72(3) AR 122/2009 your basically
screwed, even if its "factory tint"
3. There is no specific section for passenger or commercial vehicles which prohibits a ball hitch etc from being in your receiver. HOWEVER, if its one of the massive hitches which block view of your licence plate you could get charged under section 71(1) AR 320/2002
4. There are provincial and municipal peace officers, many have different roles varying from dog catcher to CVSA inspections. The only real "private sector" peace officers are some high level security guards which have no appointment to issue traffic tickets

If anyone ever has questions about tickets,
Feel free to PM me

THOMPSON

WTB - BULK AMMO AROUND SOUTHERN ALBERTA
WTB - USED DUCKS UNLIMITED FIREARMS
WTB - USED WINCHESTER COMM FIREARMS
WTB - OLD / RUSTY / UNWANTED FIXER UPPERS
WTB - BROKEN FIREARMS
WTB - RIMFIRE / SHOTGUN MAGAZINES
WTB - ORIGINAL CONDITION COOEY'S
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Sorry but wrong. Only the windshield is laminated. The side and rear windows are made of safety glass meant to shatter when broken which doesn't happen when tinted or having a film on them. Otherwise one little rock and your windshield would explode.
Wrong again! The new Dodges have the side windows laminated just like the windshield. Heard it from a Dodge rep and know its true cuz a friend of mine got a rock on the side window and just got a crack, same as a windshield. Now this changes everything!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
How many accident victims have been ejected sideways through broken "safety" glass and killed?
Only the ones that weren't wearing their seat belt.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Wrong again! The new Dodges have the side windows laminated just like the windshield. Heard it from a Dodge rep and know its true cuz a friend of mine got a rock on the side window and just got a crack, same as a windshield. Now this changes everything!!!!
You got pics of this because I gotta call BS.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
You got pics of this because I gotta call BS.
X2 never heard of this new dodge innovation
Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
X2 never heard of this new dodge innovation
Well maybe if you wouldn't be lazy and just google stuff would see its true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
Well maybe if you wouldn't be lazy and just google stuff would see its true
I just googled stuff... Nothing at all about windows.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
I just googled stuff... Nothing at all about windows.
Didn't google dodge laminated side windows then, cause I found lots of stuff. Plus a picture to as was requested