Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Whoa! I've got concerns with just about every suggestion you make there big fella!

Sigh.... reduce rifle season, limit rifle season, end rifle seson, I hate rifle season....
I actually enjoy rifle hunting myself, had a few successful outings this year. Let's be honest however, It is apparent that most hunting violations happen during the rifle season. So in an effort to control these issues we shorten the season in order for our CO's to have better chance of prosecuting those that make it bad for all of us. Hopefully we clean the crap out of the bottom of the barrel and eventually go back to a normal season later on.

As for the bit on out of province hunters, where I would push for mandatory hunter testing. I only have to look at a few incidences that were highlighted on this website a month or so ago, where some out of province folk put up some pics of hunt and obviously didn't read our regulations and followed laws from there home provinces. I think there was party hunting, and tagging issues right off the top but mandatory hunting tests for these folks before they buy a license would help to alleviate these issues.

What do you all think about setting up Superbuck zones in different parts of the province. Whole wmu's or bits of them set up to grow large Bucks (WT and Mulie). Solely managed for trophy racks with minimum 8 point limitation in place, except where spikers and forks need to be culled to bring the area into a quality state. Draw only, no outfitters, and true Albertans only. I hate to be so selfish but other provinces have shut us out of certain activities so we need something that is truly ours. For example Saskatchewan won't let us hunt their Pheasants (locals only), Residents only on Manitoba Turkeys, yada yada. Win! Win!

Definitely cut back the allowable outfitter hunt (Bird and Big Game) days from Monday to Friday with an addition of no hunting for them on Statutory holidays. Sorry Claudio and friends(APOS) you've pushed the little guys to the brink not heroes just chumps. While you profit from our wildlife we get pushed to the outside. Not anymore.

Road hunting is not hunting.

Last edited by DuckBrat; 12-10-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM

The change I would like to see is one general tag for either sex w/t for the meat hunters shoot a doe for the trophy hunters they can shoot their big buck but if they dont find it they can shoot a doe to put some meat in the freezer I think this would give the little bucks to be able to grow to maturity before being harvested before their prime I know I would like to harvest a doe without having to put in for a draw! For those of you who are looking to fill your freezer with six deer maybe shoot one and BUY SOME BEEF im sure all the ranchers land that you hunt on and seem to have EXCLUSIVE rights on would appreciate this!!! As for the Canadian non resident hunter thing how many of you flocked to Sask without a guide in Nov. It would be nice to see it in a draw with a hunter host this way family members could host their family or friends themselves. This is the way I heard it may be in Sask. next year. Just An Idea
Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Would be nice to implement a mandatory (on-line or phone) registration system for every kill the hunter made. So at the end of the season they would have a better picture of the wildlife population numbers, then for the next year adjust the quotas and open seasons for each WMU accordingly.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex View Post
Would be nice to implement a mandatory (on-line or phone) registration system for every kill the hunter made. So at the end of the season they would have a better picture of the wildlife population numbers, then for the next year adjust the quotas and open seasons for each WMU accordingly.
I think they do have it, people abuse it though........
Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtrack View Post
Sorry I have a difference of opinion on this because I'm one of the lucky ones that might see a draw before I die. I have priority 13 from the beginning and from this I should be drawn before any others. I had waited to long for my grizzly bear with a priority of nine and the year I would have been drawn they cancelled the hunt. So this time I'm going to think of myself before others. Hopefully you get a break.

And this is just one area where we need to get rid of the me me me, and change our philosophy to we we we. I have 3 kids that I would dearly love to take sheep hunting in 437, due to the fact that that is where I met their mother, but with the current system it will never happen. Just because it has been this way for 13 years, does not make it right, like it has been said many times before, it is severely flawed.

Some good ideas/debate are coming out of this thread. It can't do anything but good from this discussion.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
And this is just one area where we need to get rid of the me me me, and change our philosophy to we we we. I have 3 kids that I would dearly love to take sheep hunting in 437, due to the fact that that is where I met their mother, but with the current system it will never happen. Just because it has been this way for 13 years, does not make it right, like it has been said many times before, it is severely flawed.
Brady, you just discounted wildtrack's "me me me" argument and inserted your own. His is based on the fact that he has patiently stood in line for 13 years. Yours is that you met your wife there.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:14 AM

That was my slightly twisted point Oko. Looks kinda silly doesn't it?

I have said it before, I am all for equal opportunity for any hunting in this province, and these sheep draws that we have at present, are not that. No chance for any new hunters to draw these tags. Like I said before though I do like the thought process to "reward" those that have been putting in for years, but I would like to see all Alberta hunters have an opportunity for these draws, or for any other draws for that matter.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem300 View Post
The change I would like to see is one general tag for either sex w/t for the meat hunters shoot a doe for the trophy hunters they can shoot their big buck but if they dont find it they can shoot a doe to put some meat in the freezer I think this would give the little bucks to be able to grow to maturity before being harvested before their prime I know I would like to harvest a doe without having to put in for a draw! For those of you who are looking to fill your freezer with six deer maybe shoot one and BUY SOME BEEF im sure all the ranchers land that you hunt on and seem to have EXCLUSIVE rights on would appreciate this!!! As for the Canadian non resident hunter thing how many of you flocked to Sask without a guide in Nov. It would be nice to see it in a draw with a hunter host this way family members could host their family or friends themselves. This is the way I heard it may be in Sask. next year. Just An Idea
General WT tag already is good for a buck or a doe. There are already tons of non-draw doe killing opportunities. NR can already hunt several species under a hunter host system with a resident. So not sure what you want changed there.

As for the 6 deer crack -- this year I shot my general WT tag on Crown land, and then two supps from land that the farmer wanted a reduction of deer on. I drew for antlerless mule deer in my resident zone and filled that one on the last day. Last year I only shot one deer and a moose. I don't like beef, I like venison and am willing to travel a bit from zone to zone to take advantage of the opportunities that might be offered in each. Some areas need a reduction in deer numbers and give out the extra tags to accomplish this goal.

You appear to be jealous that some people have worked to establish relationships with landowners that provide them with special access to land. Why not work at getting your own EXCLUSIVE rights and stop whining about those of us who worked to get it?

Maybe we should just adopt the European system of wildlife management. You set up a club. Buy the wildlife rights from the crown and then manage it the way you see fit. That way all the greedy guys can set up their own little fiefdoms and hunt what they want, how they want, and when they want without pushing their agendas on everyone else and would only have themselves to blame if their little zone turned to crap.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 12-11-2009, 11:30 AM

I'd like to see the general mule deer tag in the upper 400 wmu's go on draw. After the harsh winter in 06/07 and the high predator numbers in the area mulies are far and few between. Both doe and buck numbers are patheticly low.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 PM

This thus far has been a great thread. There are some great ideas coming forth, and great discussions. I like the idea of a partner license on any special draw license. The only problem that I see with this is that my partner might shoot my buck or elk of a lifetime JK of course.

I am not presently a sheep hunter, but to someone looking in, the lottery system suggested with a certain number of entries based on priorities seems like a great idea. (How many tags are given out in this WMU anyways??) It allows the guys with the higher priorities a huge advantage based on their committment to the system but still allows for a chance for others. Looks like a win win. I would keep the priority system working and increasing for everyone also so if you are a high priority your chances only get better over time.

I also like the idea of being able to apply for both cow and bull at the same time. Sure the needed priorities would go up but you could plan accordingly. I don't really see a down side to this.

I know that there is nothing new here just my .02 on the previous 7 pages :0
Old 12-12-2009, 01:21 AM

Sounds like your from another country !!! By the way I already have more hunting privalages than you can IMAGINE because I am the land owner that you keep asking the right to have your EXCSLUVISE rights to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way Id like to see your so called general w/t tag in the southern zones that you can shoot either sex with a general tag and not be responsible for the out come!!! And another thing you probably the first time you hunted was 5 years ago and you are trying to tell us HOW & WHERE it should be done!!!!! DONT bother replying because half of you guys dont have a clue anyways!!! And by the way you dont like BEEF I wonder what your mother feeds YOU when you cant hunt on any RANCHERS LAND!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by lilsundance; 12-12-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:25 AM

THIS WAS FOR sjemac
Old 12-12-2009, 02:17 AM

One more thing I have to say is ALL you bow hunter WANNABEINDIANS is if you think your wish may come true and ellimate rifle season go and talk to the natives or so called METIS I just wonder what the wound rate VS rifle wound is !! Why do you think the natives gave up their long bows and traded them in for the long gun!!!!! 20 000 0000!!! million natives cant be wrong!! Like I say WANNABES!!! Good luck to the ARCHERS just in case you guys forgot what your names really are!!!!! ALL THROUGHG
Old 12-12-2009, 02:24 AM

[QUOTE=rem300;454534]One more thing I have to say is ALL you bow hunter WANNABEINDIANS is if you think your wish may come true and ellimate rifle season go and talk to the natives or so called METIS I just wonder what the wound rate VS rifle wound is !! Why do you think the natives gave up their long bows and traded them in for the long gun!!!!! 20 000 0000!!! million natives cant be wrong!! Like I say WANNABES!!! Good luck to the ARCHERS just in case you guys forgot what your names really are!!!!! ALL THROUGH HISTORY BOW GUYS TRADED FOR THE SMOKE POLE !!!!!!!!!!:innocent3:[/
Old 12-12-2009, 02:38 AM

Default oh boy 2:00 a.m

And moments before the above posts, we just happen to catch it on tape!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQsA7G0hvQ
Old 12-12-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Old 12-12-2009, 04:26 AM

i disagre on the only issueing one buck tag every to years for us trophy hunters out there we enjoy the Hunt you dont see trophy animals as often so when you do the adrenaline starts flowing and from what iv seen and heard this year from friends is there is alot of very nice 160 plus deer out there it is just a matter of out smarting them..
Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 AM

Just wunnderrin potty face didnt know you were a world known actor !! Good make up and ****ty acting typical CBC spedial starriing one arrogant a**hole!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

I was actually thinking the same thing before I clicked on the link!

REM300, enjoy your upcoming timeout.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 AM

It always seems to amaze me that one idiot who decides to have a few and get on the computer can paint an entire group of respectful law abiding hunters into a bunch of backwoods profanity spouting rednecks. Well I guess I have my answer as to if I can submit entire post on to the lawmakers who may be able to get us some changes we strive for. After those posts I would not help me either or take any of our suggestions.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:55 AM

how about EVERY ONEBUYS TAGS AND HAS TO ENTER THE DRAW'S no special privelages wether native / matie or whatever you are you buy tags and follow the reg's it would be better for the anamal population how can they regulate harvest if they dont know how many are being harvested ?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem300 View Post
THIS WAS FOR sjemac
Thanks for clearing that up rem300. The less literate among us might have missed that nuance in your eloquent yet impassioned diatribe.

You have a good weekend now and go a little easier on the meth -- you're starting to "tweak" a bit.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 12-12-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
It always seems to amaze me that one idiot who decides to have a few and get on the computer can paint an entire group of respectful law abiding hunters into a bunch of backwoods profanity spouting rednecks. Well I guess I have my answer as to if I can submit entire post on to the lawmakers who may be able to get us some changes we strive for. After those posts I would not help me either or take any of our suggestions.

There is always a few rotten apples in every box
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM

What do you think the number of outfitter tags to resident tags are?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:33 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambush View Post
What do you think the number of outfitter tags to resident tags are?
http://www.huntingfortomorrow.com/HF...20Oct%2008.pdf
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM

How about making it a regulation to report your kills at the end of the year. Pretty hard to manage a mule deer herd when you are not sure how many animals are taken during the archery season on a general mule deer license....
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Thanks Sheephunter, I was hoping that some of the people who commented above that outfitter numbers were too high would give me their opinion of what the numbers are....
Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Sheep tags should be for residents only.

Antelope and Pheasants should be for residents only also. Same as Sask. Population too small and demand too high amoung residents.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
sheep tags should be for residents only.

Antelope and pheasants should be for residents only also. Same as sask. Population too small and demand too high amoung residents.