Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
If guys actually have a "legitimate" injury preventing them from pulling a bow....i have no problems with it. If guys use them in general season...i have no problems with it. And tj ose who qualify, never had a problem.

I know my bowhunting , has shelf life...and i prepare everyday for it.
i broke my wrist, was in a cast and tore the tendons off the bone. not even that was good enough to be able to use a crossbow
Old 11-06-2014, 04:28 PM

Is this a crossbow? http://www.pullinarchery.com/
Old 11-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Banned

Good question! When it's converted into a cross bow, it's a cross bow would be my answer
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 PM

What would Mtngiant, Exempler, aventura use?

You all are being trolled.

This topic has been discussed adnuasium on AO
It always ends the same way. Same as subsistence rights threads.

For what reason. Division in our hunting ranks?
Entertainment value?

Let me ask you all.
Who in the history of AO always brought up hot button topics?

Fwiw, I've hunted with crossbows for about 20 years in Alberta.
By my own standards, I've killed a total of two animals...
Yep. Very successful considering my countless hours in the field.

I've missed more times than I've connected.
I've held back on shooting hundreds of times.

Go pick up a cross bow and shoot some distances outside in the wind, cold, mosquitoes and other elements.
Try with a scope, open sights or no sights.

Then.

Comment on a thread like this.

The rest is posturing and conjecture.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 PM

The dead horse is unrecognizable.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The dead horse is unrecognizable.
If you look real close there is definitely an AO brand on it.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannJPearson View Post
Crossbow hunting is a real bow hunting. But compound bow is considered as more accurate and faster than the crossbow.
Depends on what state or province one lives in.
Heck, they let inlines into our "primitive" season at Wainwright, I couldn't care less anymore.
I never did like any of the "special" seasons anyway.
Cat
Old 07-25-2015, 07:40 AM

Just curious, when compound bows first came out did the true primitive archery guys say compound bows should not qualify?

What about when compounds started using all the advancements: triggers (release) and adjustable sights for eg.?

Just wondering as I've seen lot's of threads about the horrors of crossbows during archer season but the gist always seems to be that compound bows have always been the norm, which isn't the case.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
Just curious, when compound bows first came out did the true primitive archery guys say compound bows should not qualify?

What about when compounds started using all the advancements: triggers (release) and adjustable sights for eg.?

Just wondering as I've seen lot's of threads about the horrors of crossbows during archer season but the gist always seems to be that compound bows have always been the norm, which isn't the case.
A lot of traditional archers still still do and there are some areas in North America that do not allow a compound in a primitive season, but then they don't allow caplock rifles either, let alone inlines, only flintlocks or matchlocks!
Cat
Old 07-25-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Primitive ok, but bows dont have triggers.
What category does a release fall in to ?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:25 AM

Hmmm, a new member, that has contributed nothing of substance, bringing up year old threads, on controversial topics.

Go back to your bridge.

And while we're at it, you can have any compound bow you like, I'll take your string gun. We will both draw and aim at your vehicle. Do you think you will be able to hold on for as long as I will? I got all day.

Drawing, holding and aiming a bow under muscular power alone is the definition of archery. So no, sheephumper or dmcdick or whichever other troll you are, string guns are not archery.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Hmmm, a new member, that has contributed nothing of substance, bringing up year old threads, on controversial topics.

Go back to your bridge.

And while we're at it, you can have any compound bow you like, I'll take your string gun. We will both draw and aim at your vehicle. Do you think you will be able to hold on for as long as I will? I got all day.

Drawing, holding and aiming a bow under muscular power alone is the definition of archery. So no, sheephumper or dmcdick or whichever other troll you are, string guns are not archery.
Why divide our group into your personal opinions ? Horizontal or vertical means nothing really in the grand scheme of our heritage.

Many jurisdictions allow both during the described archery or primitive season.

Comes down to personal preference.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Go back to your bridge.

Well I know I didn't bring this thread back up, but I'll bite.

Standing, off hand, aiming at the car, how long do you think you can hold that crossbow on target.? I would like to see (all day). Or more than 5 minutes for that matter, with no rest.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:45 AM

I think there should be a crossbow season that starts 2 weeks before bow season. Don't think a lot of you realize how much effort it actually takes to get set up using a crossbow and they size of this thing any animal can pick out the smallest movement it's like waving a flag. First off the guys using them have legit reasons why they are hunting with them. I use one and I would give anything to be able to use a bow again. So to the guys that complain about this topic just wait some day you may or will be glad to have this option.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Well I know I didn't bring this thread back up, but I'll bite.

Standing, off hand, aiming at the car, how long do you think you can hold that crossbow on target.? I would like to see (all day). Or more than 5 minutes for that matter, with no rest.
Using a rest is possible and standard practice with a string gun. Basically impossible with a bow. That's the point and you know it.

For what it's worth, Ive never objected to your spear and atlatl obsession. In fact I used an atlatl (non-living targets) long before most here even knew the word. Anyone who can take a big game animal with one of those has my respect. Two or three stupid people were responsible for that stupid policy direction, not the rest of us.

But your continued attack on bowhunters isn't gonna happen uncontested.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktaker View Post
I think there should be a crossbow season that starts 2 weeks before bow season. Don't think a lot of you realize how much effort it actually takes to get set up using a crossbow and they size of this thing any animal can pick out the smallest movement it's like waving a flag. First off the guys using them have legit reasons why they are hunting with them. I use one and I would give anything to be able to use a bow again. So to the guys that complain about this topic just wait some day you may or will be glad to have this option.
I think the whining rifle hunters should give up two weeks at the beginning of their season.

If you have a disability permit that allows you to use a crossbow, then go forth and enjoy. I have not heard any opposition to that program, nor have I expressed any.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Why divide our group into your personal opinions ? Horizontal or vertical means nothing really in the grand scheme of our heritage.

Many jurisdictions allow both during the described archery or primitive season.

Comes down to personal preference.
Give up part of your rifle season then. You want something, you pay for it. Not me.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:11 AM

Default Crossbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post

I think the traditional shooters didn't realise what they were unleashing when they allowed compounds. In the beginning compounds weren't much of an advantage over recurves but slowly the technology advanced and we have what we see now. We see bows that are almost 300% faster than trad bows, we see let offs that were unimaginable 30 years ago, we also see accuracy out to 60 yards and beyond.

What's the result of this advanced technology? Greater success rates, undeniable fact and the reason that moose are all on draw and why mulies are going on draw. I've got nothing against the guys who like and shoot compounds but they've certainly changed the face of bow hunting.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Gone Hunting

A long time ago a Neanderthal attached a rock to his hunting club. His neighbor, Grog, fearing he would loose his standing as best hunter in the village, objected. It was no longer a hunting club he said. He said it should be illegal, or at least restrict the modified club hunting season.
Today the battle rages on.

Why does hunting have to be a competition. Why can't each person chose for themselves what legal tool they wish to use?

If you can demand others be restricted because they use a crossbow instead of a recurve or compound, how about we restrict recurves according to the length of the bow and compounds according to draw weight?

We could have a three day season for 60" bows followed by three days for 70" bows and so on till all lengths and designs were covered.

But of course that's not what the objective is. It's not about accommodating everyone. It's about limiting others to maximize your own opportunities.

I am amazed at how far our civilization has progressed since men hunted with clubs.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-25-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Using a rest is possible and standard practice with a string gun. Basically impossible with a bow. That's the point and you know it.

For what it's worth, Ive never objected to your spear and atlatl obsession. In fact I used an atlatl (non-living targets) long before most here even knew the word. Anyone who can take a big game animal with one of those has my respect. Two or three stupid people were responsible for that stupid policy direction, not the rest of us.

But your continued attack on bowhunters isn't gonna happen uncontested.
I enjoy bow hunting myself, and yes my attacks should be more directed at a few certain individuals. I just don't have this hate for the crossbow that some have. One day when I'm old with arthritis and can't pull a bow I would love to still be able to hunt the tree stands while it is not -30 and enjoy the early season. I also don't believe that the success rates with a crossbow are much higher than that of today's modern bows and the effect would be very minimal. There might be a surge of crossbow hunters at first but they will figure out that it is not as easy as some would have people beleive. This has been shown in other places where crossbows have been allowed into the archery season.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I think the traditional shooters didn't realise what they were unleashing when they allowed compounds. In the beginning compounds weren't much of an advantage over recurves but slowly the technology advanced and we have what we see now. We see bows that are almost 300% faster than trad bows, we see let offs that were unimaginable 30 years ago, we also see accuracy out to 60 yards and beyond.

What's the result of this advanced technology? Greater success rates, undeniable fact and the reason that moose are all on draw and why mulies are going on draw. I've got nothing against the guys who like and shoot compounds but they've certainly changed the face of bow hunting.
Every culture, since bows were invented, have sought ways to improve the bow and make it more effective with new technology and materials. that's why the "draw, hold, aim under muscular power" part was defined. Is it different? Yep. So are Mongol recurve horse bows from primitive stick bows. Similar jump in performance and lethality. That argument was settled long ago. A bow is a bow, a string gun is not. Putting the word "bow" in the name does not change this.

Moose draws had everything to do with corrupt ESRD officials and ghost policies, and squat to do with actual population numbers. There is several thread on this.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I think the traditional shooters didn't realise what they were unleashing when they allowed compounds.
Traditional shooters did not allow anything.

The decision was made by government officials, not hunters, and thank God for that.

I am ashamed to say, I own a bow. I will never hunt with it because I will not be associated with those who do hunt with bows.

Let me correct that. I will not be associated with the vocal minority that hunt with bows.

As with any group there are some fine people who hunt with bows.
And as with any group it is the vocal minority that makes the rest look bad.

A string gun ! Realy ! It's a bow with a aditional stick on it, that's what it is, and that's all it is.

And no I don't own a crossbow, never did and never will. I hunt with rifles cause I don't need to prove anything to anyone.

I'm allowed one animal per tag just like anyone else. What does it matter to you what legal tool I use to harvest that animal? So what if I can harvest my animal easier. Is my animal less dead or more dead then your's?

I have no objection to your having a special season. Not because you are somehow better then me or not as good a hunter. But because my projectile travels a whole lot further then your's so for you safety I am happy to see you get your own season, and you are welcome to come hunt with a rifle when your season is over.

A bow is a bow is a bow, whether it has cams or wheels or a stock. It still uses a string and a limb to propel a projectile at a target. No bow is a rifle and no rifle is a bow.

Your long bow, your neighbers crossbow, you best buds compound will never have the range of a rifle. They will never have the shocking power of a rifle.
They will always kill by cutting rather then shocking. They are bows no matter what you say.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 07-25-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
A long time ago a Neanderthal attached a rock to his hunting club. His neighbor, Grog, fearing he would loose his standing as best hunter in the village, objected. It was no longer a hunting club he said. He said it should be illegal, or at least restrict the modified club hunting season.
Today the battle rages on.

Why does hunting have to be a competition. Why can't each person chose for themselves what legal tool they wish to use?

If you can demand others be restricted because they use a crossbow instead of a recurve or compound, how about we restrict recurves according to the length of the bow and compounds according to draw weight?

We could have a three day season for 60" bows followed by three days for 70" bows and so on till all lengths and designs were covered.

But of course that's not what the objective is. It's not about accommodating everyone. It's about limiting others to maximize your own opportunities.

I am amazed at how far our civilization has progressed since men hunted with clubs.
Pretty much. People have fought over hunting areas forever.

The difference is today we have limited access, limited animals, and some of us don't like being shot at. So we split it up according to resonable definitions, so as to allow everyone an opportunity to do what they enjoy, without destroying the enjoyment of others.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Pretty much. People have fought over hunting areas forever.

The difference is today we have limited access, limited animals, and some of us don't like being shot at. So we split it up according to resonable definitions, so as to allow everyone an opportunity to do what they enjoy, without destroying the enjoyment of others.
Absolutely. And I agree with the split season. It is reasonable.

All archery in one season, all firearms in another. Makes perfect sense.

There are some who aren't as reasonable as you.
Calling a crossbow a string rifle does not make sense. It's a stupid attempt at suggesting that a bow somehow became a firearm.

And it's that sort of argument that turns me against bow hunting.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-25-2015, 11:59 AM

I'm glad the retard who started this thread in 2014 is banned.

And I'm glad they banned his mom too for re-opening it.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Traditional shooters did not allow anything.

The decision was made by government officials, not hunters, and thank God for that.

I am ashamed to say, I own a bow. I will never hunt with it because I will not be associated with those who do hunt with bows.

Let me correct that. I will not be associated with the vocal minority that hunt with bows.

As with any group there are some fine people who hunt with bows.
And as with any group it is the vocal minority that makes the rest look bad.

A string gun ! Realy ! It's a bow with a aditional stick on it, that's what it is, and that's all it is.

And no I don't own a crossbow, never did and never will. I hunt with rifles cause I don't need to prove anything to anyone.

I'm allowed one animal per tag just like anyone else. What does it matter to you what legal tool I use to harvest that animal? So what if I can harvest my animal easier. Is my animal less dead or more dead then your's?

I have no objection to your having a special season. Not because you are somehow better then me or not as good a hunter. But because my projectile travels a whole lot further then your's so for you safety I am happy to see you get your own season, and you are welcome to come hunt with a rifle when your season is over.

A bow is a bow is a bow, whether it has cams or wheels or a stock. It still uses a string and a limb to propel a projectile at a target. No bow is a rifle and no rifle is a bow.

Your long bow, your neighbers crossbow, you best buds compound will never have the range of a rifle. They will never have the shocking power of a rifle.
They will always kill by cutting rather then shocking. They are bows no matter what you say.
and I have no objection to a general season, in fact it is necessary for management purposes. The safety aspect is a huge part of the issue, so thanks for acknowledging that.

the definition of a bow does not involve terminal characteristics of the projectile. It has everything to do with the difficulty of drawing in the presence of game, and aiming without a rest. having utilized every tool in this argument, i believe the current definition is correct and valid.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Nailed it.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
the definition of a bow does not involve terminal characteristics of the projectile. It has everything to do with the difficulty of drawing in the presence of game, and aiming without a rest. having utilized every tool in this argument, i believe the current definition is correct and valid.
That may be, but how does that make sense in this context?

From a safety standpoint it's all about terminal characteristics.

The separate season is not about ease of use or level of difficulty. It never was and never will be.

It is and always has been about safety.

If it were about level of difficulty then we would have separate seasons for long bows, another for compound bows, another for single shot rifles, another for repeater rifles, another for low velocity rifles, yet another for high velocity rifles and who knows what else.

Is that what bow hunters want ?

Edit;

Bow, definition
a weapon for shooting arrows, typically made of a curved piece of wood whose ends are joined by a taut string.
synonyms:longbow, crossbow; recurve

Seems the defintion of what a bow is may not agree with what Bow hunters want it to be. I wonder why?

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 07-25-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

And I'm glad you're glad makes me very glad. Lol
Old 07-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I don't doubt anything you say about the advances made in bow technology. But I wonder where you got the idea that compound bows are the reason we have draws today.

Would you mind explaining how you came to that conclusion?

George Bernard Shaw