Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Big deal....a skidder can tear it up way better...and a processor machine...and you should see what happens when those big cats start pushing in roads....

We don't need more rules...we need people to focus on the big picture...why would you worry about tearing up a little when you see what industry is doing?? Unbelievable....buying into that crap of atvs doing so much environmental damage.
Seriously? What a terrible attitude. Industry has more impact on the environment than our recreational activities so why bother? Is that really what I just read?

As the many responses (including photographic proof) illustrate, our activities absolutely have significant impact on the environment and to shrug off any responsibility because elsewhere, other things happen that are worse is pathetic.

Could you imagine if Canadian industry decided to take the position "well China is way worse so why do we bother..." ???
Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 PM

now this is some youtube style entertainment here
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
For me I'd rather see people out on their quads enjoying nature then being forced to stay home because there not able to hike into the deep bush. I don't see why Alberta doesn't get behind quads and make designated trails that run all over the province then charge a slight user fee to cover maintenance of the trails. I know down east it's huge with snowmobiling and ATVers. I think it'd be cool being able to ride from say Peace River to Noregg without worrying about what cut lines you need to use. Maybe this is something Alberta Fish and Game could rally for no?
Are trails out east maybe easier to maintain? A lot more gravel in the soil, trails can actually have a base? I know most of the trails around here are nothing but swanp and bogs, I go out about once a week to check them out. If I put the front tires into the hole, sink up to the headlights, I just turn around and go home. Even the trails around the holes are impassable. I don't think Alberta's terrain could support a maintained atv trail, in most areas. Most of my riding is now on logging roads and pipelines, where I don't need a winch to get out of a hole every 50 feet. Might not be as much fun to some people, but I don't consider being covered in mud head to toe and destroying my machine much fun.

It's eventually going to result in atvs being banned in certain areas, and chances are, they only people going to follow the ban will be the people who weren't out destroying it in the first place.

Tread lightly and be safe everyone.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Are trails out east maybe easier to maintain? A lot more gravel in the soil, trails can actually have a base? I know most of the trails around here are nothing but swanp and bogs, I go out about once a week to check them out. If I put the front tires into the hole, sink up to the headlights, I just turn around and go home. Even the trails around the holes are impassable. I don't think Alberta's terrain could support a maintained atv trail, in most areas. Most of my riding is now on logging roads and pipelines, where I don't need a winch to get out of a hole every 50 feet. Might not be as much fun to some people, but I don't consider being covered in mud head to toe and destroying my machine much fun.

It's eventually going to result in atvs being banned in certain areas, and chances are, they only people going to follow the ban will be the people who weren't out destroying it in the first place.

Tread lightly and be safe everyone.
Then we all will lose, that's the sad part.
Actually the sad part is those on this board that actually defend that type of behavior!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Then we all will lose, that's the sad part.
Actually the sad part is those on this board that actually defend that type of behavior!
I agree. Everyone better start behaving.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Big deal....a skidder can tear it up way better...and a processor machine...and you should see what happens when those big cats start pushing in roads....

We don't need more rules...we need people to focus on the big picture...why would you worry about tearing up a little when you see what industry is doing?? Unbelievable....buying into that crap of atvs doing so much environmental damage.
I dunno, we built roads into a cutblock, skidders, processors, hoes, all the equipment, we tore it all to hell, then when we were done, we took out the roads, culverts, recontoured the entire area, replanted, twenty years later it looks like a park. Industry damages things then remediates, as best as it can and is legislated to do. Along the way it creates jobs, billions in taxes and provides a reason for many towns and villages to exist.
Industry does not go out and destroy the environment for fun. People go out and tear the living ****t out of a place just for ****s and giggles
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Anyhoo the original poster got a ticket. I'm good with that. When I'm in those areas fly fishing and hunting I can do without the yahoos on ATV's. In fact I started to enjoy and appreciate the outdoors a lot more when I got rid of the ATV's and my association with said yahoos.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post
Seriously? What a terrible attitude. Industry has more impact on the environment than our recreational activities so why bother? Is that really what I just read?

As the many responses (including photographic proof) illustrate, our activities absolutely have significant impact on the environment and to shrug off any responsibility because elsewhere, other things happen that are worse is pathetic.

Could you imagine if Canadian industry decided to take the position "well China is way worse so why do we bother..." ???
It's OK, just let the anti atv crowd continue to paint us all as environmental terrorists, while at the same time everyone turns a blind eye to ALL the environmental damage being done by humans. It's pathetic that there are so many on here that have had the wool pulled over their eyes and stand behind this foolishness. Next thing we know you'll be telling us it's bad to take a wizz in the bush. Put things in perspective man.....if you add up how many square miles of land have been negatively impacted by atv use and compare that to the number of square miles damaged by everything else you might get your head on straight. ;-)
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I dunno, we built roads into a cutblock, skidders, processors, hoes, all the equipment, we tore it all to hell, then when we were done, we took out the roads, culverts, recontoured the entire area, replanted, twenty years later it looks like a park. Industry damages things then remediates, as best as it can and is legislated to do. Along the way it creates jobs, billions in taxes and provides a reason for many towns and villages to exist.
Industry does not go out and destroy the environment for fun. People go out and tear the living ****t out of a place just for ****s and giggles

I go out into the bush, trust me it doesn't look like a park. ;-) Nice try though. Dang near broke my neck falling into skidder ruts in the deep grass...and all those empty oil cans...equipment parts...etc...nice try though.

My point isn't that everything industry does it bad...we do live in a modern world and humans cause all sorts of environmental damage and changes to happen. We cannot stop progress..one day our favorite hunting spots could be covered with houses...or a factory. We are going to tear up hundreds of thousands of acres of land for new roads and highways...why get your pants in a knot over a few trails, or a little mud in the creek??
Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
It's OK, just let the anti atv crowd continue to paint us all as environmental terrorists, while at the same time everyone turns a blind eye to ALL the environmental damage being done by humans. It's pathetic that there are so many on here that have had the wool pulled over their eyes and stand behind this foolishness. Next thing we know you'll be telling us it's bad to take a wizz in the bush. Put things in perspective man.....if you add up how many square miles of land have been negatively impacted by atv use and compare that to the number of square miles damaged by everything else you might get your head on straight. ;-)
People used to turn a blind eye on the environmental damage done by industry and other things but that is changing and there is a lot of money now going into keeping things clean and reclaiming ruined land.

Also just because quads make up a small percentage of ruining the environment doesn't mean it should be ok to do so... Its this same attitude that creates most of the other environmental damage that you seem to believe is so bad when in reality the people doing the damage still consider most of what they are doing to be small in the big picture(and most of it is).

None of this really matters or is relevant to this topic though. It is illegal to ride off road vehicles on highways which includes the ditches or on other public land unless the vehicle is registered and insured and you are following traffic laws. Most people don't realize this just like the OP obviously didn't but it is the case.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
People used to turn a blind eye on the environmental damage done by industry and other things but that is changing and there is a lot of money now going into keeping things clean and reclaiming ruined land.

Also just because quads make up a small percentage of ruining the environment doesn't mean it should be ok to do so... Its this same attitude that creates most of the other environmental damage that you seem to believe is so bad when in reality the people doing the damage still consider most of what they are doing to be small in the big picture(and most of it is).

None of this really matters or is relevant to this topic though. It is illegal to ride off road vehicles on highways which includes the ditches or on other public land unless the vehicle is registered and insured and you are following traffic laws. Most people don't realize this just like the OP obviously didn't but it is the case.
"Wht is there a doughnut in you locker private pyle." Gunny
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I got wrote up by BP and had my office called because I took a whiz behind my truck on lease. That's considered a spill apparently. He also wrote me up for walking up a stairs with a box and not maintaininh a 3 point contact.

I don't know much about reclamation, but I do know this from what I see at work. An area that was once oil leases and abandoned is like a city park compared to what loggers leave behind. Loggers just have tree planters coming in the next year to plant trees to cover up the snarl they left behind. With that said quadders have no one fixing their damage. Fyi, I am not anti quadding, I'm anti idiot.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I got wrote up by BP and had my office called because I took a whiz behind my truck on lease. That's considered a spill apparently. He also wrote me up for walking up a stairs with a box and not maintaininh a 3 point contact.

I don't know much about reclamation, but I do know this from what I see at work. An area that was once oil leases and abandoned is like a city park compared to what loggers leave behind. Loggers just have tree planters coming in the next year to plant trees to cover up the snarl they left behind. With that said quadders have no one fixing their damage. Fyi, I am not anti quadding, I'm anti idiot.
Don't sweat it...mother nature will return things to a natural state once everyone is finished using the trails. Years ago you could follow the trails torn across the prairie by millions of migrating bison....I bet you'd be hard pressed to find one of those trails now. You got wrote up for taking a whiz? LOL now that IS funny...bet you had a real idiotic look on your face when that happened.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:16 AM

Default CS your argument strategy is poor man

What you keep throwing out there is 'everyone is doing it' and 'there's worse offenders out there'...

.... And I'm not sure but are you saying that this justifies what u do?

That's poor logic yes? Your argument strategy smacks of classic Manning Center derailing/envageling ( I think I spelled that right).

Yes, humans alter the landscape, thanks for stating the obvious. That's about as valid a counter argument as 'sh** happens', another classic defence.

My point is that from what I've seen... Multi use trails in the bush that have been around for years have lately become not useful to anyone! And your activity damages my activity, be it hiking, hunting those trails for grouse, horseback riding, ect.

So your fun activity ruins everyone else's. Quads don't play well with other outdoor users. I take issue with that. You guys go no right to go and do that.

What solution do you pose? All I see is you labeling people as 'antis' and figuring your job is done.

Do you really think the status quo is fine?

What does 'outdoorsmen' mean to you?

This is unsustainable. We're better than this.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I go out into the bush, trust me it doesn't look like a park. ;-) Nice try though. Dang near broke my neck falling into skidder ruts in the deep grass...and all those empty oil cans...equipment parts...etc...nice try though.

My point isn't that everything industry does it bad...we do live in a modern world and humans cause all sorts of environmental damage and changes to happen. We cannot stop progress..one day our favorite hunting spots could be covered with houses...or a factory. We are going to tear up hundreds of thousands of acres of land for new roads and highways...why get your pants in a knot over a few trails, or a little mud in the creek??
When are you going to get it through your head that we the people are the industry and the industry exists to serve peoples needs. There would be no industry if we did not create it. Sure industry can leave a mess, but it is a mess we the people deem acceptable or we wouldn`t let it happen. Apparently this is a trade off we are willing to accept to ensure our standard of living is continually enabled. Apparently the general public is becoming aware and annoyed by the environmental destruction caused by quads as unacceptable and are not prepared to let this continue as it brings very little dollar value to the economy for the amount of environment destroyed.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
What you keep throwing out there is 'everyone is doing it' and 'there's worse offenders out there'...

That's poor logic yes? Your argument strategy smacks of classic Manning Center derailing/envageling ( I think I spelled that right).

Yes, humans alter the landscape, thanks for stating the obvious. That's about as valid a counter argument as 'sh** happens', another classic defence.

My point is that from what I've seen... Multi use trails in the bush that have been around for years have lately become not useful to anyone! And your activity damages my activity, be it hiking, hunting those trails for grouse, horseback riding, ect.

So your fun activity ruins everyone else's. Quads don't play well with other outdoor users. I take issue with that. You guys go no right to go and do that.

What solution do you pose? All I see is you labeling people as 'antis' and figuring your job is done.

Very well said!

And well worth a quote(for the quote police).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:

That trail/cutline was put in with a cat. It can be returned to the way it was by simply running a cat down the cutline again.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:

What I have been saying is that things should be put into perspective, and you should be looking at the big picture. Yes the atv use tears things up, but so do other things. This anti atv stance is the foot in the door for keeping all things in a natural state as is the position of the fanatical environmental crowd. They wouldn't be happy with just getting atvs off the trails, they want everything left in a natural state...where you are even expected to pack your own feces out of the bush...head down this road and even a horse shoe track will be offending them.

Here are some examples of what industry did to an old road that was being used by atvs. This old road had been usable for over ten years with no wash out issues, and this is an example of what they call de-activating. All of the culverts were crushed and buried...some of these so called 'water bars' were placed on perfectly flat ground and or directly above natural mineral licks. I fail to see how your trail picture is any worse than this example. From 4 feet to 30 feet deep....

At one time this was a very popular place for hunters to come with their elderly fathers and they could easily access a prime hunting area, safely, now there are over 90 of these holes and ditches along 10K of road making it unsafe and dangerous for these old fellows to ride.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
That trail/cutline was put in with a cat. It can be returned to the way it was by simply running a cat down the cutline again.
It was a small logging road, started out very similar to the first pic I posted before.

Your right.. Could be bladed back. Then Dump some put run to stableize it so it don't turn into mushy loon **** again.

But no ones gonna do it, AND I'm guessing no ones gonna ante up the $$.

Hence my tax suggestion.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-13-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Not even a warning.

Chalk another one up for public relations in law enforcement training.

Mr. Rockpile, If you saw a major poaching incident occurring after this incident would you bother to contact the authorities?
Sounds like two warnings to me...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Here are some examples of what industry did to an old road that was being used by atvs. This old road had been usable for over ten years with no wash out issues, and this is an example of what they call de-activating. All of the culverts were crushed and buried...some of these so called 'water bars' were placed on perfectly flat ground and or directly above natural mineral licks. I fail to see how your trail picture is any worse than this example. From 4 feet to 30 feet deep....

At one time this was a very popular place for hunters to come with their elderly fathers and they could easily access a prime hunting area, safely, now there are over 90 of these holes and ditches along 10K of road making it unsafe and dangerous for these old fellows to ride.

Looks like there were issues. No Industry does that without being ordered to by government.

Industry does not do things like that willingly, why would they, there is zero profit in it for them, only expense.

I've seen road after road closed this way, next comes the gates when ATV riders start filling in the ditches.

The day is coming, and soon, when ATVs will be outlawed on all public land because a few people refuse to act responsibly.

The sad part of that is there are hundreds if not thousands of ATV riders who do ride responsibly and they will be the ones most effected by this.

I've seen it happen with one thing after another, from having a social drink to packing a gun down a country lane.

Today a read where a teen in Georgia is facing felony charges for having a tackle box on school property. There happened to be a fillet knife in that box and the school has a zero tolerance policy. The law is the law, no room for intelligent decision making.
The innocent get charged and the guilty go on, unimpeded.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I agree with the original poster. Sounds to me like the F&W officer had a bit of a swelled head and was trying to make an impression on the RCMP officer that was with her. I own 3 quads and a side x side but know there needs to laws in place. I don't know how many times we have been out riding and came across a group and everyone has a beer in their hand. Why can't grown men be smart enough to leave the booze until after they are done riding?

Another complaint of mine is being able to use a quad before noon for hunting. Yes they are great for taking in camp to a remote destination and great for hauling out game but has our society became so lazy that we can't get out of our tent at the crack of dawn, put on a good set of boots and go for a good walk. When moose hunting in the morning we always walk even though you can use a quad before noon.. Nothing ***ses me off more than walking for 3 hours trying to be as quiet as possible and having some A whole come ripping by on a quad.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Sorry, disagree. Quads for recreation are ok in my books. Nothing you say will change that and calling it an epidemic is a bit over the top.
How is this for starters

There was a quad rally held close to my place a couple years ago, the trail into crownland was over an unpaved road allowance cutting trough my land.It had been raining the day prior to the rally and there was standing water in the low spots.
There were in excess of 2000 quads and side by sides riding that day. A month later i still could not use that road with my 4x4 truck to get to my fields cause of the deep ruts and the fence to fence mud holes that were created that day. I had in the end the county send a grader to fix it cause the rally organizers basicly gave me the finger when i complained.
The path of destruction that was made trough the bush by all these morons can prob still be seen from outerspace today.

I could not care less if these ATV's get outlawed and sent to the smelters.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Heard there was going to be a big crack down on ATVers out that way. Maybe it's started!
Here's to hoping!!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 PM

Mind officially blown!!!

33% of the posts have been in outright favour (everything from, run when you see them, to; must have been pms), to a mild tolerance of the disregard of the law.

What is with guys and quads! Why do 30% +/- of you have such disregard for law and social respect?

For the record!

I do have a quad. I've have ridden my quads on hunting and camp-in trips for years! In fact this year I'll be riding my quad and not my horse on my hunting trip.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Don't sweat it...mother nature will return things to a natural state once everyone is finished using the trails. Years ago you could follow the trails torn across the prairie by millions of migrating bison....I bet you'd be hard pressed to find one of those trails now. You got wrote up for taking a whiz? LOL now that IS funny...bet you had a real idiotic look on your face when that happened.
Gag dammit Man!!!

The buffalo are dead because of our actions...do you not see the irony in your statement!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Dickless Tracy"' that what you ran into.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
I did explain to my son what I did wrong. What I can't explain is her lack of professionalism while carrying out her job. I have never heard of this ever and I have been an avid atv enthusiast for years and years.
Did you also explain to him that ignorance of the law is not an excuse to get out of a ticket?

This is half the problem with OHV's. You can drive them and don't have to be licensed or have any idea of the rules governing there use.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
This is half the problem with OHV's. You can drive them and don't have to be licensed or have any idea of the rules governing there use.
If education and prevention of destruction is the goal then perhaps ticket-book-happy COs should be camping out areas ripe with waterway/sandhill destructive ATV use rather than secondary highway ditches......