Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Wrong about what? That you can still be infected after vaccination?
What exactly do you think is so different about your immune system after you've been exposed to the live virus? If you are exposed to pertussis when your immune system is compromised you're going to get sick just the same as someone who is vaccinated. If the virus mutates in some way you are just as likely to not be immune as someone who is vaccinated with a strain similar to the one you were exposed to.

YOU DO NOT HAVE A MAGIC PERTUSSIS SHIELD

You're using the same fallacious reasoning you are trying to refute. It's hilarious.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I'm still waiting to hear if SilverDoc keeps his dog up to date on his shots....
Rabies only because it's required by law. he's happy and healthy. Been around kennel cough and others, never got ill. He eats better than I do. We spend 20 plus hours a week in dog parks off leash from spring through fall - limited over the winter. Statistically, he should have gotten something by now.

Lots to be said for a healthy immune system.

Last vaccine I had was at 9 years old, 37 years ago. I must be a walking death trap.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Rabies only because it's required by law. he's happy and healthy. Been around kennel cough and others, never got ill. He eats better than I do. We spend 20 plus hours a week in dog parks off leash from spring through fall - limited over the winter. Statistically, he should have gotten something by now.

Lots to be said for a healthy immune system.

Last vaccine I had was at 9 years old, 37 years ago. I must be a walking death trap.
You can thank the rest of us socially responsible citizens for that.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
What exactly do you think is so different about your immune system after you've been exposed to the live virus? If you are exposed to pertussis when your immune system is compromised you're going to get sick just the same as someone who is vaccinated. If the virus mutates in some way you are just as likely to not be immune as someone who is vaccinated with a strain similar to the one you were exposed to.

YOU DO NOT HAVE A MAGIC PERTUSSIS SHIELD

You're using the same fallacious reasoning you are trying to refute. It's hilarious.
I had pertussis @ the age of 8, my sister and I both had it at the same time. Lots of fun for my mother taking care of 2 sick kids, but it was her that got us infected. Been around pertussis, and all the childhood diseases many times in the last 35 years and have never contracted anything. So you tell me.

Did you have full blown pertussis?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I had pertussis @ the age of 8, my sister and I both had it at the same time. Lots of fun for my mother taking care of 2 sick kids, but it was her that got us infected. Been around pertussis, and all the childhood diseases many times in the last 35 years and have never contracted anything. So you tell me.

No but I had a socially responsible mother who vaccinated me. I did have chicken pox though because there was no vaccine at the time and I am now ast risk for shingles. Knowing that I will be vaccinated against shingles.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Huh?....so if someone smokes a pack a day for 50 yrs yet doesn't get cancer....cancer doesn't exist?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
No but I had a socially responsible mother who vaccinated me. I did have chicken pox though because there was no vaccine at the time and I am now ast risk for shingles. Knowing that I will be vaccinated against shingles.
So roughly how old are you? When was your last round of vaccinations for measles, mumps etc? Have you breached the lifespan of the vaccines yet?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

Just about killed me on my first birthday actually. I was in the hospital for quite a while I think, not sure exactly how long but a couple weeks anyway.

I understand that vaccines aren't perfect but if they help avoid another child going through that then I feel a significant responsibility to do so.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:33 PM

Everyone speaks about modern vaccines as if they have the same ingredients as the vaccines for polio etc 60 years ago. Do they? If not, there’s no comparison.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
So roughly how old are you? When was your last round of vaccinations for measles, mumps etc? Have you breached the lifespan of the vaccines yet?
Closer to 40 than 30 and yes my vaccines have been updated I made sure of it when I had children. Actually just had another round of tetanus last year after stabbing myself with a boning knife while butchering deer.

I also like my whiskey strong and long walks on the beach but like the above this has nothing to do with the topic at hand
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
Everyone speaks about modern vaccines as if they have the same ingredients as the vaccines for polio etc 60 years ago. Do they? If not, there’s no comparison.
The conversation is about the efficacy of vaccines so what does the ingredient list have to do with it? We've come a long way in 60 years so it only stands to reason improvements have been made.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The conversation is about the efficacy of vaccines so what does the ingredient list have to do with it? We've come a long way in 60 years so it only stands to reason improvements have been made.
Improvements? Or added harmful stuff? I don’t remember anyone having bad reactions, seizures etc when I was young.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Just about killed me on my first birthday actually. I was in the hospital for quite a while I think, not sure exactly how long but a couple weeks anyway.

I understand that vaccines aren't perfect but if they help avoid another child going through that then I feel a significant responsibility to do so.
Yes, it's definitely hard on the very young, you were lucky to survive. Can be deadly because infants can't cough to clear the lungs properly. Pertussis among infants in the US prompted the FDA to do the research on pertussis alone with surprising findings. But people don't want to believe it.

Have you been in contact with pertussis since? Did you get sick?

This is more reality - from the CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/about/faqs.html

Quote:
Q: Do pertussis vaccines protect for a lifetime?

A: Pertussis vaccines are effective, but not perfect. They typically offer good levels of protection within the first 2 years after getting the vaccine, but then protection decreases over time. Public health experts call this ‘waning immunity.’ Similarly, natural infection may also only protect you for a few years.

That's a big surprise

In general, DTaP vaccines are 80% to 90% effective. Among kids who get all 5 doses of DTaP on schedule, effectiveness is very high within the year following the 5th dose – at least 9 out of 10 kids are fully protected. There is a modest decrease in effectiveness in each following year. About 7 out of 10 kids are fully protected 5 years after getting their last dose of DTaP and the other 3 out of 10 kids are partially protected – protecting against serious disease.

CDC’s current estimate is that in the first year after getting vaccinated with Tdap, it protects about 7 out of 10 people who receive it. There is a decrease in effectiveness in each following year. About 3 or 4 out of 10 people are fully protected 4 years after getting Tdap.

Keeping up-to-date with recommended pertussis vaccines is the best way to protect you and your loved ones.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Improvements? Or added harmful stuff? I don’t remember anyone having bad reactions, seizures etc when I was young.
You're right. There is probably a global conspiracy that involves all members inf the health care sector to poison us with vaccines. That totally makes sense. I don't know why i didn't see it sooner.

Maybe yout didn't hear about it because there wasn't this crazy thing that globally links people called the internet.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
From what?

Wrong about what? That you can still be infected after vaccination?
I believe he is informing you that your belief that you cannot get pertussis again because you had it early in life is incorrect.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, it's definitely hard on the very young, you were lucky to survive. Can be deadly because infants can't cough to clear the lungs properly. Pertussis among infants in the US prompted the FDA to do the research on pertussis alone with surprising findings. But people don't want to believe it.

Have you been in contact with pertussis since? Did you get sick?

This is more reality - from the CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/about/faqs.html
You are hilarious. The last line in your quote argues against everything you've said. The only thing you've posted that made any sense are quotes to articles that disprove your argument.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Rabies only because it's required by law. p.
Since when is required by law to have your dog vaccinated? Recommend yes, only required when the animal travels outside of Canada ... depending on where the animal goes ...

Smart idea to have household pets vaccinated for rabies anyhow ... invariably fatal disease that affects ALL mammals ... mice deer elephants humans ... case numbers in Alberta have been on the rise (bats as reservoir) ... believe me you don’t want to go through the human rabies protocols in the case of exposure through an unvaccinated pet ....
Old 11-28-2017, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
The information in that link directly undermines the point you're trying to make. Yeah the vaccine's effective declines but so does natural exposure so what's the difference? Your anecdote is irrelevant as is mine. Individual experiences do not invalidate population level statistics.

Moreover if you're trying to draw an inference about other vaccines based on information about this one then you're a fool.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:24 PM

I'm surprised the trolls aren't bored yet......
Old 11-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Since when is required by law to have your dog vaccinated? Recommend yes, only required when the animal travels outside of Canada ... depending on where the animal goes ...
And another reason not to trust vets explicitly. 3 of them told me it was required by law to vaccinate for rabies, had to do it - just called 311 to verify. It's not mandatory.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You can thank the rest of us socially responsible citizens for that.
Yup. Make others responsible. Then accept credit for not getting it. It is when there is critical mass of persons or dogs...not getting shots and when the two groups combine infection spreads quickly amongst the unvaccinated.

Hence the measles outbreaks in schools. It is not the vaccinated that are spreading the diseases...it is the Silverdoctors harming everyone else from a mighty perch of internet conspiracy knowledge.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-28-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yup. Make others responsible. Then accept credit for not getting it. It is when there is critical mass of persons or dogs...not getting shots and when the two groups combine infection spreads quickly amongst the unvaccinated.

Hence the measles outbreaks in schools. It is not the vaccinated that are spreading the diseases...it is the Silverdoctors harming everyone else from a mighty perch of internet conspiracy knowledge.
X2
Old 11-28-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
You're right. There is probably a global conspiracy that involves all members inf the health care sector to poison us with vaccines. That totally makes sense. I don't know why i didn't see it sooner.

Maybe yout didn't hear about it because there wasn't this crazy thing that globally links people called the internet.
I didn’t say anything about any conspiracy. Refer back to post 40. Who knows why they put weird stuff in vaccines or out food for that matter. Maybe it helps lubricate the injection pumps in the manufacturing process. Have you read any ingredient labels lately? Why all the chemicals? I make chips with my own potatoes that taste just as good.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
History has proven its sanitation. What's your point. One does not negate the other.
I wasn't making a point, but rather asking questions.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 PM

Some of us ask questions the experts can’t answer! Lol
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:

So why are the fully vaxxed kids getting measles?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I didn’t say anything about any conspiracy. Refer back to post 40. Who knows why they put weird stuff in vaccines or out food for that matter. Maybe it helps lubricate the injection pumps in the manufacturing process. Have you read any ingredient labels lately? Why all the chemicals? I make chips with my own potatoes that taste just as good.
Certain things are added for certain reasons. Pick one and someone can look the answer up on the internet for you.

To make it easier for you refer to this.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi...nt-table-2.pdf

All is in such small infinitesimal amounts. Tested safe. Proven safe. Billions of doses later... Here we all sit chatting about it.

Another option for you.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/index.html
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
So why are the fully vaxxed kids getting measles?
Because the small fraction of the population (~3%) that are not helped by vaccinations due to immune issues rely on the rest of us to be vaccinated so they don't get sick and die.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Because the small fraction of the population (~3%) that are not helped by vaccinations due to immune issues rely on the rest of us to be vaccinated so they don't get sick and die.
X2
Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's alot higher than 3% my friend.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/measle...oned-1.1086151

More than 50% fully vaccinated contracted measles. This isn't the only story out there.