Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Once again I could care less what caliber you choose and your reasoning
My only problems is that I don’t think a person like you would give an honest assessment of this caliber if it doesn’t perform. Your ego is too big to say “hey guys I might have been wrong with this one”. I hope it works for you... I really do. Good luck with your creedmoor
Marky, I don't care what you think. I have nothing to prove, the cartridge has already done that itself. You stick with your big gun and poor shooting to kill game, I'll stick with my Remington sps and my little bullet to kill stuff and we can both sleep good at night.

Speaking of liars and ego's, I'm the one who admitted I have wounded animals before, you like to dance around the question and post pictures of a target..... LOL.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Marky, I don't care what you think. I have nothing to prove, the cartridge has already done that itself. You stick with your big gun and poor shooting to kill game, I'll stick with my Remington sps and my little bullet to kill stuff and we can both sleep good at night.

Speaking of liars and ego's, I'm the one who admitted I have wounded animals before, you like to dance around the question and post pictures of a target..... LOL.

One atta boy for you
Old 06-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Last animal that I never found was a boonie whitetail shot during one of those El Niño winters we had about 15 years ago. Real nice heavy, wide 5x5. I can still see him in my mind.
Super windy day, plus 15 I think the 20th of November no snow on the ground
Shot him with my 30/06 at around 300 yards
Not being the most experienced with the wind, he was broadside and I hit him low in the front of the chest. Was peak of the rut and he was with a hot doe in the middle of a field. You’d think he had no where to go with the nearest bush being approx 600 yards away. Anyways the shot hit him and he was hurting. Shot at him again and missed and he finally decided that there was more important things than getting a piece of tail.

So he runs about 200 yards, lays down. Think I fire again and miss. He runs again about 100 yards and goes lays down again. I figured I had him. My buddy and his wife stay there, I book it to where he’s going to go. I have good cover behind a couple rows of spruce trees. I get to the edge of the bush and see him running again. His heads low he’s having a hard time but running from something.

Well what had happened was the neighbors, mechanics friend was driving around fields looking for deer. No permission to be where he was. I had no shot at the deer since he was 500 ish yards away and running and I wasn’t confident at all with that shot. Guy in the truck drives up to me and hadi nerve to ask if I had seen any deer. I basically lose it saying he spooked a deer of a lifetime that I shot by driving where he wasn’t supposed to be

Anyways the deer makes it to the bush and didn’t stop. We figure by laying down those 2 times he had lost a majority of his blood when he hit that bush and we were able to only find blood for approximately 200-250 yards. I scoured that bush for 2 days straight. No birds, no coyotes, and lots of Miles walked in the same place hoping him.

No dice

That was the last time i used a 30/06
The next year a bought a vanguard 300 wby and haven’t had to track anything since.

Sold that 300 wby bwhen I got my 338 rum
Same result

It’s a little heavier but I took it on a 12 day backpack hunt last year. Same result on a 55” bull, grizzly and boonie mountain caribou.

So this is why I prefer shooting big bullets that go real fast
It’s worked for me

338 rum is for sale. Great gun, shoots unreal, has worked well on the biggest game in north america
Old 06-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

I'd like to give you a atta boy Marky but Kurt was here first. Had a gopher get away once. Shot it with a 6.5 at 300.1 yards. I walked around his hole for a day and a half tryin to track it. After this experience I decided a light weight super short action 22 was the answer. It was.

Ok this post is all bull**** and no horse****.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Banned

Shat happens lol

That is one way to solve the whitetail situation though but there are other ways. It's worked for you though. Other ways also work for other folks too. I could definitely see before the days of laser rangefinders to get the maximum pbr with a decent bullet you could find. Back in the day a decent bullet meant more weight. And to drive more weight at big speeds meant magnum city.

Things a little different now. Bullet construction so much better we don't need to push that much weight to do a great job. Standard cartridges have more than enough zip now.

If i didn't want to hunt with a rangefinder i'd be tempted by something with big speed and appropriate s.d.

Personal preference on how you want to hunt but end result is if you place the bullet they will die. When they get away it's because you didn't place the bullet. Does more horsepower help? I dunno about that.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Last animal that I never found was a boonie whitetail shot during one of those El Niño winters we had about 15 years ago. Real nice heavy, wide 5x5. I can still see him in my mind.
Super windy day, plus 15 I think the 20th of November no snow on the ground
Shot him with my 30/06 at around 300 yards
Not being the most experienced with the wind, he was broadside and I hit him low in the front of the chest. Was peak of the rut and he was with a hot doe in the middle of a field. You’d think he had no where to go with the nearest bush being approx 600 yards away. Anyways the shot hit him and he was hurting. Shot at him again and missed and he finally decided that there was more important things than getting a piece of tail.

So he runs about 200 yards, lays down. Think I fire again and miss. He runs again about 100 yards and goes lays down again. I figured I had him. My buddy and his wife stay there, I book it to where he’s going to go. I have good cover behind a couple rows of spruce trees. I get to the edge of the bush and see him running again. His heads low he’s having a hard time but running from something.

Well what had happened was the neighbors, mechanics friend was driving around fields looking for deer. No permission to be where he was. I had no shot at the deer since he was 500 ish yards away and running and I wasn’t confident at all with that shot. Guy in the truck drives up to me and hadi nerve to ask if I had seen any deer. I basically lose it saying he spooked a deer of a lifetime that I shot by driving where he wasn’t supposed to be

Anyways the deer makes it to the bush and didn’t stop. We figure by laying down those 2 times he had lost a majority of his blood when he hit that bush and we were able to only find blood for approximately 200-250 yards. I scoured that bush for 2 days straight. No birds, no coyotes, and lots of Miles walked in the same place hoping him.

No dice

That was the last time i used a 30/06
The next year a bought a vanguard 300 wby and haven’t had to track anything since.

Sold that 300 wby bwhen I got my 338 rum
Same result

It’s a little heavier but I took it on a 12 day backpack hunt last year. Same result on a 55” bull, grizzly and boonie mountain caribou.

So this is why I prefer shooting big bullets that go real fast
It’s worked for me

338 rum is for sale. Great gun, shoots unreal, has worked well on the biggest game in north america
There ya go, it was a bad shot and not a bad cartridge. That's what I've been saying the whole time.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Shat happens lol

That is one way to solve the whitetail situation though but there are other ways. It's worked for you though. Other ways also work for other folks too. I could definitely see before the days of laser rangefinders to get the maximum pbr with a decent bullet you could find. Back in the day a decent bullet meant more weight. And to drive more weight at big speeds meant magnum city.

Things a little different now. Bullet construction so much better we don't need to push that much weight to do a great job. Standard cartridges have more than enough zip now.

If i didn't want to hunt with a rangefinder i'd be tempted by something with big speed and appropriate s.d.

Personal preference on how you want to hunt but end result is if you place the bullet they will die. When they get away it's because you didn't place the bullet. Does more horsepower help? I dunno about that.
Ya these were the days before I had range finding binos
Biggest problem that day was the wind. Probably 60kmph.
More speed would have helped with less wind drift and less drop
It’s not like I’m talking about the 60’s here. Bullets were pretty much the same. So the difference of .1 or even .2 bc wouldn’t be have made as much of an difference as 300-400 FPS
I’ve made lots of mistakes in the field and I try to learn from them.
If you don’t learn from your mistakes then they will keep happening.
I’ve upgraded slowly to the best things I could afford
Goal has been to gain without compromising anything
Got the final 2 pieces of the puzzle this year and I’m good now for anything

Time to travel and use them
Old 06-28-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
There ya go, it was a bad shot and not a bad cartridge. That's what I've been saying the whole time.
Seems like that’s a heck of a hard concept to grasp lol.

Tens of thousands of white tails are killed each year with .223’s, moose with .243’s, etc. they’re no more dead than those shot with .375’s. Put the bullet where it’s suuposed to go and the animal will die quickly, don’t and there’s a chance it won’t.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:40 PM

560 yds, 270 Win, 130 gr bullet, two steps and done. People can wring their hands all day about what kills who’s giant, but actually do it a few times and things become fairly obvious. Standing behind a guide doesn’t create the need for a magnum either.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM

Chuck, this is not supposed to be possible. How did that little gun ever do such a thing???
Old 06-28-2018, 03:57 PM
Banned

No one has disputed the need to put the bullet where it needs to go. What is being disputed is the fact that a 6.5 isn't the best thing in the wide world of hunting. As chuck has just showed a 270 will do the trick as well.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:00 PM

I have absolutely nothing against big rifles. Had my fair share of them. Stopped at a 338 RUM.

But why can't people just acknowledge that a smaller rifle is just as deadly due to increased accuracy in the hands of most shooters simply due to the likelihood of increased practice and greater shooting comfort.

I will likely hunt with a big gun again, but it will only be because of curiosity and boredom, not inherent superiority of the cartridge.

My next rifle will either be a 270 or one of them newfangled Creedmoors. Great name it is.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
No one has disputed the need to put the bullet where it needs to go. What is being disputed is the fact that a 6.5 isn't the best thing in the wide world of hunting. As chuck has just showed a 270 will do the trick as well.
It's kind of hard to argue against ballistic coefficient and sectional density isn't it?

The 140 gr 6.5 bullet kind of strikes a real sweetspot don't you think?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't recall reading the part where anyone claimed the 6.5 to be the best thing in the wide world of hunting, can you point that part out to me? According to you it's only good for small game and gophers, I strongly disagree.

Had you been understanding what this conversation was actually about you would have realized that the premise of the conversation was how little powder it takes to drive the 6.5 bullet through the vitals. If you don't agree with those facts, don't blame me, blame science because it's not something I'm making up, I'm just going with it.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:20 PM

This one is a magnum, 310 yds, broke shoulder and destroyed lungs yet he ran nearly 300 yds. Hmm.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Banned

I have a 6.5x284 I think it’s awesome!

I’ve have had a 6.8 Spc which is very similar to the Grendel. I’ve killed a few deer with it, and from my experience. I think your expecting too much out of it. I think it would be great for wolves and coyotes.

Hope it works
Someone is bound to test it here sooner or later.
Honest feedback would be appreciated
Old 06-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This one is a magnum, 310 yds, broke shoulder and destroyed lungs yet he ran nearly 300 yds. Hmm.

Surprising how tough animals can be
Old 06-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Banned

And your thinking a smaller bullet going slower would have been better?

See this is where I’m having trouble following you

The science says that it “should” work

There’s just far better choices
Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

Better for what?
Old 06-28-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:

If you look at posts #220 and #226 , I think you will see that Chuck us trying to say that a magnum does not automatically mean DRT when it comes to animals
And that smaller bullets can do the same thing .
John Barsness ( among others) is one respected author who is of the school that there is no"perfect" bullet it cartridge .
Many work well hiwevervand some better than others but not 100% of the time!
Cat
Old 06-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Banned

What about the science that says it takes a minimum amount of energy to kill a animal? Bigger, heavier and faster bullet achieves this. No?
Old 06-28-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
What about the science that says it takes a minimum amount of energy to kill a animal? Bigger, heavier and faster bullet achieves this. No?
Arrows have say 50-60ftlbs at release and are bleeding off every foot after that. Energy isn’t needed, just penetration my friend (at least a pile of dead animals I have arrowed agree with me lol).
Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
There is a variable that cannot be out into an equation mathematically , and that is the individual animal .
We can only make generalizations , not 200% predictions ,
Cat
Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Banned

Where’s the face palm emoji?
Old 06-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have you been paying attention? That's been covered in this thread and others. Hornady, the company that manufactures the ELDX bullets says the ELDX will perform as intended as slow as 1800fps

The same company says the 6.5 143gr ELDX is suitable for class three animals such as elk, the same class as a 270gr 338.

Dead is dead. According to Hornady the 143gr bullet will perform as intended at 1800fps, this isn't something I'm making up. The fact that it's a 6.5 caliber means it's got a high ballistic coefficient and no matter what the muzzle velocity is, it will retain speed at a higher rate than a lot of others and will have a high sectional density and retain energy that will allow greater penetration.

So what about the science that says it takes a minimum amount of energy to kill an animal? It's the science Stinky coyote has been trying to explain to you but you're not listening.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
where’s the face palm emoji?
omg
Old 06-28-2018, 06:54 PM
Banned

I’m with ya
I like the idea behind the eldx
My 300 win shoots them extremely well
I have the 338 ones also but haven’t tried them

Only problem is the amount of failures they have had with them
Do you think that the smaller 6.5 are dumping enough energy into that animal to knock them out?
Is it worth the risk?
Old 06-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Arrows have say 50-60ftlbs at release and are bleeding off every foot after that. Energy isn’t needed, just penetration my friend (at least a pile of dead animals I have arrowed agree with me lol).
To achieve penetration you need energy. True? If you can drive a blunt stick from your bow with enough energy it should still kill shouldn't It?
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
I’m with ya
I like the idea behind the eldx
My 300 win shoots them extremely well
I have the 338 ones also but haven’t tried them

Only problem is the amount of failures they have had with them
Do you think that the smaller 6.5 are dumping enough energy into that animal to knock them out?
Is it worth the risk?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the failures due to the tips melting off the A-max bullets and that's when they changed to the ELDX?

I know for a fact the 6.5 will dump enough energy into the animal, I killed a bull elk with my 260rem and a 129gr ballistic tip!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Banned

I’m referring to the Grendel