Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2023, 08:23 AM

NW Calgary this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5660.jpg (7.3 KB, 133 views)
Old 05-16-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
NW Calgary this morning.
Parents live outside of olds and said the smoke finally got to their place. Way too early for chewing on smoke!!!
Old 05-16-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
NW Calgary this morning.
Similar in the Edmonton region. Smokey as can be.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:13 AM

Up camping at Beaver dam golf course, yesterday was beautiful out…this morning the smoke is so bad I can’t leave the trailer as my very poor working lungs won’t take this. Smoke is very thick on this golf course, and plenty windy enough for this old cowboy.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-16-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
so what you are saying is that a lit cigarette thrown out the window, is not an ignition source and cannot start a fire? i read it takes only one! there are lots of ways to start a fire with a lit cigarette. may have been very few started by smokers, but 50% of fires are considered suspicious, could be caused from power lines, trains, atv's, trucks, cars water bottles and more than a few were intentionally lit. time best spent on putting fires out than arguing over cigarette butts?
Couple years back a buddy who works for the forest service called in a wildfire right across from the forest service office in town. Thankfully a woodland crew was around to contain it. Another buddy is a fire investigator for the FS and after the fire was contained found what was left of a cigarette filter. Someone had been smoking while sitting on a log, tossed their butt and it took a couple days of smoldering in the pine duff next to the log before the wind li led up enough to fan the flames and spread it. I have no doubt cigarette butts start fires but I don’t know the frequency. I imagine dragging trailer chains, a hot muffler or catalytic converter or break pads that come apart start more. Who knows.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:18 AM

A long weekend coming up, that could be a disaster, smart thing would be to make people stay home.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-16-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
A long weekend coming up, that could be a disaster, smart thing would be to make people stay home.

Grizz
I don't think that's ever the smart thing to do. Especially coming out of this covid debacle. Educate and police those who need it/disobey
Old 05-16-2023, 12:14 PM

We have a strong 42 KM West wind and the smoke in Strathmore area is heavy , smells like you got a big burn going in yard.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Couple years back a buddy who works for the forest service called in a wildfire right across from the forest service office in town. Thankfully a woodland crew was around to contain it. Another buddy is a fire investigator for the FS and after the fire was contained found what was left of a cigarette filter. Someone had been smoking while sitting on a log, tossed their butt and it took a couple days of smoldering in the pine duff next to the log before the wind li led up enough to fan the flames and spread it. I have no doubt cigarette butts start fires but I don’t know the frequency. I imagine dragging trailer chains, a hot muffler or catalytic converter or break pads that come apart start more. Who knows.
Couple issues with the cig thing. Sheer numbers plays a factor. An individual case of a cig lightup might be unlikely but lots of people still randomly toss butts so there are plenty of chances given for that "rare" occurrence. Another issue is that butts are light and tend to get blown around often until they find a tinder nest. Dry tinder plus a slight breeze = fire.

Many other ways fires start though. I absolutely berated a group a couple years ago. Bad fire year with a blanket fireban that had been on for weeks. People losing houses shown on the news daily. Zero chance this group didn't know. They decide it'd be a good idea to do some fire twirling in a campground under full tree cover. This is with a 6' long pole with four flaming heads spoking out from each end and using accelerant of course. I was livid as this was an area I'd grown up in and treasure. Someone else had called it in and eventually the fire marshall showed up. Gave them a gentle warning then chatted them up
Old 05-16-2023, 01:55 PM

DV re entry plan kicks off at 2pm…..

There are no absolutes
Old 05-16-2023, 04:30 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.c...98a61adab41c06

https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.c...c-may-08-2023/

Damned EARLY for this crap!!
Old 05-16-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
We have a strong 42 KM West wind and the smoke in Strathmore area is heavy , smells like you got a big burn going in yard.
YIKES Buddy pretty ugly out your way ! Stay safe -take Care RJ
Old 05-16-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Well there's something no one should ever say.
How about we impose a $100,000 fine to anyone caught doing anything offside of the fire ban rules and only punish the stupid, rather than everyone else?

I had enough of the government telling me where I could go and who I could visit back in 2020.
You know where we shouldn't go?
Back there. Full stop.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
DV re entry plan kicks off at 2pm…..
Well that's good news! Glad to hear it.

Something I only thought of today, how many houses were without power? And for how long? The cleanup could be a disaster in itself with all the fridges and freezers out for who knows how long.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

Something I only thought of today, how many houses were without power? And for how long? The cleanup could be a disaster in itself with all the fridges and freezers out for who knows how long.
From talking to a handful of people the power outages were no longer than 4hrs so things should be alright

Wife and kids are heading home this morning. I am headed to Calgary to pick up kayaks first then heading home. Odds are if anything is out of place I will get a phone call lol

People went home starting yesterday and I have not heard any horror stories yet
Old 05-17-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Town lost power from 2:09 pm to 5:09 pm on Friday the 5th, then again from 12:27AM to 12:41AM on the 6th, that was it. The Fortis Alberta crew up here was simply amazing at using alternate feeds to keep the town powered up. Sadly some rural folks didn’t fare as well as I think a few places may still be waiting for poles to be replaced due to being so close to the actual active fire.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-17-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Well there's something no one should ever say.
How about we impose a $100,000 fine to anyone caught doing anything offside of the fire ban rules and only punish the stupid, rather than everyone else?

I had enough of the government telling me where I could go and who I could visit back in 2020.
You know where we shouldn't go?
Back there. Full stop.
Great idea, too bad it doesn't work. Where I live, we have disaster stories every year from the city idiots eager to throw off the shackles of winter and go wild. How do you separate the stupid from the rest of the crowd, sometimes the majority. ? Enforcement can't be everywhere and I know several people who would be sitting ducks in the event of a wildfire.

Grizz

Old 05-17-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Sparks from trains cause lots too. When I was a smoker I'd toss my butt on the ground and watch it to see how it would start a fire, dry grass, high winds, all kinds of scenarios, and never did a butt start a fire or even a smolder. They all went out completely within a couple of minutes so I have a lot of scepticism about butts causing fires. I'd bet more fires are just being deliberately set.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:00 AM

Default DV Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Town lost power from 2:09 pm to 5:09 pm on Friday the 5th, then again from 12:27AM to 12:41AM on the 6th, that was it. The Fortis Alberta crew up here was simply amazing at using alternate feeds to keep the town powered up. Sadly some rural folks didn’t fare as well as I think a few places may still be waiting for poles to be replaced due to being so close to the actual active fire.
Fortis actually came around to us rural folks and said as of yesterday all rural customers from the DV Buck Creek fire had power restored as of noon. They did a wonderful job in keeping us in the loop and worked relentlessly to ensure the town had power and to get everyone back on line. They will still have short outages to change the odd pole out but for now have done their customers proud.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Sparks from trains cause lots too. When I was a smoker I'd toss my butt on the ground and watch it to see how it would start a fire, dry grass, high winds, all kinds of scenarios, and never did a butt start a fire or even a smolder. They all went out completely within a couple of minutes so I have a lot of scepticism about butts causing fires. I'd bet more fires are just being deliberately set.
There is a large body of evidence from city fire dept of butts starting fires. One of the most common causes of house fires is people butting out butts in planter boxes as well as dropping cigs when they fall asleep while smoking in bed or on the couch.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPsycho View Post
There is a large body of evidence from city fire dept of butts starting fires. One of the most common causes of house fires is people butting out butts in planter boxes as well as dropping cigs when they fall asleep while smoking in bed or on the couch.
I have watched my Dad lite grass fires on small slough bottoms in the fall of the year in stubble fields with a cigarette butt prior to discing them under. They would lite up instantly but they were bone dry, Especially with a bit of a breeze. Cigarettes can start fires that’s a no brainer.
Old 05-17-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Great idea, too bad it doesn't work. Where I live, we have disaster stories every year from the city idiots eager to throw off the shackles of winter and go wild. How do you separate the stupid from the rest of the crowd, sometimes the majority. ? Enforcement can't be everywhere and I know several people who would be sitting ducks in the event of a wildfire.

Grizz
If we change it temporarily from just a warning to a minimum $100,000 fine, I'm willing to bet at least half the idiots will take heed.
That would be a 50% improvement without any more policing.
It has been proven that huge monetary fines are a good deterrent.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:31 PM

The Dunvegan range north of Fairview burned.

I had plans to do some seeding.....yeah i think i wont be getting up there any time soon.....

Last edited by huntinstuff; 05-17-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Huh??? Chukegg creek / high level, fort Mac and Slave 2011 were all this time of year
Old 05-17-2023, 05:45 PM

May long, how many new fires are going to be started?
Old 05-17-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
May long, how many new fires are going to be started?
I'm with you on this one.

What I find interesting is some of the things that are "allowed" during a "Provincial Fire Ban"...

Open flames oil devices are one of them. Which means deep fryers and Tiki torches are ok.... As long as one follows the "manufacturer's standards"... What a crock.

Yep, absolutely nothing can go wrong with a bunch of drunks trying to fry up a turkey or lobster in one of them in tinder dry areas.

Shut everything down! But wait, that would make sense.

I already see RVs with trailers/quads heading West on #752 out of Rocky. Pretty sad as it is a vast area, which cannot be be properly enforced.

Staying home this weekend and will do some babysitting...and hope for the best as I live on the forestry fringe area...
Old 05-17-2023, 07:50 PM

A stay at home order..... sounds like a reasonable solution. Tell hard working folk what they can do with their leisure time. Sounds awesome.

Let me know how many turkey frying fires contribute to wildfires this weekend, if it's more than zero I'll vote NDP.
Old 05-17-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
A stay at home order..... sounds like a reasonable solution. Tell hard working folk what they can do with their leisure time. Sounds awesome.

Let me know how many turkey frying fires contribute to wildfires this weekend, if it's more than zero I'll vote NDP.
I'm betting on fireworks and abandoned camp fires and almost be willing to predict where, not likely enforcement will get there, they never do. It's an emergency situation, no way around that. Given we're facing an election, a shut down might not be on the politicians plate. Don't want to offend the voters .

Grizz

Old 05-17-2023, 08:36 PM

Every single prison should be empty right now and prisoners should be fire fighting,
Wanna pay your debt back to society a little faster? Git at er…..
Old 05-17-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
I'm with you on this one.

What I find interesting is some of the things that are "allowed" during a "Provincial Fire Ban"...

Open flames oil devices are one of them. Which means deep fryers and Tiki torches are ok.... As long as one follows the "manufacturer's standards"... What a crock.

Yep, absolutely nothing can go wrong with a bunch of drunks trying to fry up a turkey or lobster in one of them in tinder dry areas.

Shut everything down! But wait, that would make sense.

I already see RVs with trailers/quads heading West on #752 out of Rocky. Pretty sad as it is a vast area, which cannot be be properly enforced.

Staying home this weekend and will do some babysitting...and hope for the best as I live on the forestry fringe area...
I’m only 39 years young but can honestly say I’ve never seen or even heard of someone camping with a turkey fryer….