Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 07:52 PM

Default Bill to raise UTV registration and lower property tax passes committee unanimously

More common sense initiative while crickets chirp in Alberta

http://kutv.com/news/local/bill-to-r...ee-unanimously

(KUTV)- A bill to raise the cost of UTV and off-highway vehicle registration while lowering property taxes passed the House Committee unanimously Wednesday.
Representative Mike Noel’s HB 143 had the support of the citizen activist group UTV Utah.
“Our goal with HB 143 is to redirect those funds, put it into the off-highway vehicle fund, and use it for counties that do have trail systems,” the group’s vice president, Brett Stewart, said.
Stewart and co-founded, Bud Bruening, helped Noel draft the bill after learning only $2 million of the estimated $20 million the state receives in registration fees was actually going to the parks department to pay for trail maintenance.
We’ve been asking the question, where is our money, for many years and we haven’t - even today - been able to find where the funds are.”
Under the new proposal, registration fees would go directly to the counties with the most off-road trails and UTV resources.
“In Piute County, there’s probably 2,000 miles of trails and probably only a handful of registered ATVs. So they’re basically struggling to maintain the trails. Where SLCo is very wealthy with the money they receive, but we have zero miles of trails,” Stewart said. “If [Salt Lake County] wanted to build a trail system, we’d love to do it. And then they would qualify for the money.”
Stewart helped draft a bill last year that allowed street legal ATVs to use certain low-speed roads in Salt Lake County.
Another bill this session, HB 114, would up the speed from 45 mph to 50 mph and essentially create a continuous path throughout the state.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 02-04-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
I read through most of this, its hard to follow, can someone post the link of what the government is proposing? theres lots of speculation on here, and links to y2y and such, but isn't y2y just a group that's giving the government there opinion? the government will be the one proposing changes to the puplic will it not?
Here is the Y2Y link on the North Saskatchewan River Plan.
They would like the same idea to take place in our Big Horn Area as the South Saskatchewan River Basin Plan "Castle Area park."

https://y2y.net/work/what-hot-projec...-regional-plan

I'm "guessing" that their request will either be for a park or Wild land area.

We won't know till we attend the Dover Court Hall meeting coming up.

Don
Old 02-04-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
I read through most of this, its hard to follow, can someone post the link of what the government is proposing? theres lots of speculation on here, and links to y2y and such, but isn't y2y just a group that's giving the government there opinion? the government will be the one proposing changes to the puplic will it not?
I believe this is what is being proposed by various groups to the provincial government.

https://albertawilderness.ca/issues/...ncern/bighorn/

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/l...rovincial_park

(BHA Alberta chapter is also pushing for the alberta government to allow dogs off leash in all Wildland Parks and Provincial Parks (where hunting is allowed) when being used for bird or cougar hunting, during legal hunting seasons)

Last edited by CF8889; 02-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Here's a survey that's being done on Public lands.

https://extranet.gov.ab.ca/opinio6//s?s=38804
Old 02-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Its easier to ban the small user groups then it is industry which is leaving the big footprint. The only uneducated one here is LKILR pull your head out of your arse.
As much as I hate clear cuts, industry does not leave quad trails up and down the creek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATV Travel in the North Ram RIver.jpg (83.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 PM

Edit
Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
As much as I hate clear cuts, industry does not leave quad trails up and down the creek.
I hate seeing that, it seems f&w isn’t interested in enforcing the laws, I have taken pictures,license plates and called it in, I have said I’d testify if needed to convict. I have yet to have anyone follow up in spite of doing this probably 6-8 times over the last 2 summers, this is an enforcement issue or lack there of. If they were to hand out tickets for slob behaviour we wouldn’t need this discussion at all.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:05 PM

Pristine Wilderness vs Man, Machines and Misuse. Pick a Winner.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
we should all use the quad god gave us

our two feet
Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumour View Post
we should all use the quad god gave us

our two feet
The human race is by its nature, lazy. People will usually take the route of least resistance.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-04-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The human race is by its nature, lazy. People will usually take the route of least resistance.
And have a look at the attached Y2Y expansion, even larger than the bighorn.

Brutal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5E3C1D4A-CF19-4435-A4DA-649A7A382A84.jpg (24.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg B64A0D01-586F-45B4-A087-7A38FEB87952.jpg (22.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-04-2018, 07:08 PM

Funny how some can look a map and see more protected area and the next one sees hidden agenda
Old 03-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Funny how some can look a map and see more protected area and the next one sees hidden agenda
Funny how some can't see that the protected area is part of the hidden agenda.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:42 PM

Show me the money I ain't seen anything believable as of yet Hoss
Old 03-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
“Work smarter not harder.” 90% of the trails out there were put in by logging or gas and oil.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
And have a look at the attached Y2Y expansion, even larger than the bighorn.

Brutal.
I am sure some of these pro Park fella's won't mind walking 100Km to get to there favorite spot.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Where's bighorn river aka Kevin Van Tighem to tell us this is all about conservation and we should be thankful?
My skin crawls when I hear that name
Old 03-05-2018, 05:23 PM

It’s only gonna get worse. Albertans have (or had) a right to access the backcountry, but that is becoming a thing of the past. Alberta today, as compared to when I was a youngster, is unrecognizable.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
You missed the word "hidden" .
Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM

Not really but then I'm not type to suspect hidden dangers behind every tree either.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
This is exactly the mentality that allows government to take away your rights,
degree by degree. “That will never happen here in good old Alberta”. It already has. By “that” I mean a gradual but steady loss of freedom. If you can’t see it you’re not looking very close.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 PM

That's alright Hoss I just choose to interpret the "evidence" of freedom differently.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
That's alright Hoss I just choose to interpret the "evidence" of freedom differently.
So what does freedom mean to you? Or the “evidence” of it. A million and one laws telling you your every move? I believe in law and order, do not get me wrong. I also believe that unnecessary and oppressive legislation is gaining
an ever increasing foothold in our country.

Last edited by sevenmil; 03-05-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is a lack of freedom, at this point.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It is a lack of freedom, at this point.
My point exactly.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:50 PM

nfm
Old 03-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Help build the North Saskatchewan Regional Plan
March 07, 2018 Media inquiries
Albertans are invited to provide their input on how land in the North Saskatchewan Region will be used and managed.
Public feedback will help the Alberta government develop the final North Saskatchewan Regional Plan (NSRP), which will ensure government policies guide natural resource development, support local economic growth, enhance recreation opportunities, respect traditional Indigenous land use and protect the environment.
“The North Saskatchewan Region is home to about 1.5 million Albertans, as well as Alberta’s Industrial Heartland, some of the best farmland in the world, foothills and mountains with immense recreation opportunities, and prized headwaters that supply drinking water to many communities. It is important that Albertans are engaged in building a plan for the region that is good for the environment, good for the economy and good for Albertans.”
Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks
NSRP will be the third regional plan developed under Alberta’s Land-use Framework.
To help develop the draft plan, a regional advisory council made up of 27 Albertans was appointed in 2014 to provide independent, strategic advice, analysis and options to government. The council provided 69 recommendations to government in six topic areas.
Council recommendation areas
• Managing wetlands and lakes as part of watershed management.
• Supporting biodiversity in the region.
• Inclusion of Indigenous peoples in land-use planning.
• Community growth and community land-use planning.
• Management of outdoor recreation.
• Economic development.
The council’s report and recommendations provide important perspectives for Albertans to consider. The government encourages all interested parties, including Indigenous communities, stakeholders and the public, to provide their input and ideas for development of this plan.
The consultation period runs from March 7 to May 4, 2018. To read the North Saskatchewan Regional Advisory Council’s recommendations and provide feedback online, please visit: https://www.landuse.alberta.ca.
Quick facts
• The North Saskatchewan Region covers about 85,780 square kilometres of central Alberta – 13 per cent of the total land base of Alberta.
• About 38 per cent of the provincial population of four million people lives in the region.
• The North Saskatchewan Region is home to prized headwaters that supply the drinking water to the City of Edmonton and surrounding communities, such as Red Deer.
• Banff is included in the North Saskatchewan Region to ensure that the key headwaters for the region are within the geographical boundary. The regional boundaries were based on major watersheds and adjusted to align with municipal boundaries.
• Rapid population growth in the North Saskatchewan Region, particularly in the Capital Region, has created pressures on regional transportation routes and recreation areas.
• From 2000 to 2013, the North Saskatchewan Region observed a 3.1 per cent annual growth rate in GDP, largely due to the Capital Region becoming a dispatch hub for goods shipped south to export markets or north for further natural resource development.
Related information
• North Saskatchewan Regional Plan: Draft Plan Review Survey
Old 03-07-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
To read the North Saskatchewan Regional Advisory Council’s recommendations and provide feedback online, please visit: https://www.landuse.alberta.ca.
Thanks Kannon! Here's an opportunity to at least try to provide input, although, I'm sure the decisions have already been made but this makes them feel like they can say that they've done 'extensive consultations and heard the voice of the people!'
Old 03-07-2018, 03:46 PM

SO I post the media release I got and then go to see how leading the survey is and ...... message says survey closed for editing
Old 03-07-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
SO I post the media release I got and then go to see how leading the survey is and ...... message says survey closed for editing
Just like the castle was. It was like trying to take a psych exam to avoid the trick questions!