Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatmewolf View Post
I have resisted commenting on this subject for quite a while, that being said crossbows have no place in the regular bowhunting season. There are a variety of reasons why, most have been said. I will say outright they are my own selfish reasons as a compound bow hunter with the biggest issue being game numbers decreasing and general bowhunting seasons also decreasing as CBs will bring more hunters with more efficient tools to the field.
A CB is a 50 yard rifle, just point and shoot, you don't even have to practice that much. You don't even have to be able to hold it steady, just use a rest.
There is no movement, I will say I could have shot a lot more big mule deer bucks if I didn't have to draw. If I had a CB I could have shot countless large bucks from my belly while hiding in the grass.

If they do ever become legal to use in the general season you better bet I will also have one, I don't want to miss out on the slaughter for as long as the general seasons last. I will want to take that big mule buck I watched all summer the first week.

Im starting to see as I write this that maybe it mostly applies to hunting mule deer spot and stalk as being the biggest advantage with the most to lose.

They have their place for allowing those that cant hunt with a compound an opportunity but it should be limited to that.

This is my opinion, flame on. Better go renew my ABA membership.
your personal opinion is flawed Data proves no significant harvest increase nor participation in cross over.

Try packing a 30 inch horizontal swather while you stock you donkey deer in the ag, be real stealthy I bet... LOL
Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 AM

I don't see where there is a problem re-discussing an important issue that has not yet been resolved .. not that it will ever be resolved on this thread, but it is certainly worth further discussion regardless of who initiated it. Opinions are just that .. opinions, and everybody has one. Vent away ...
Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I don't see where there is a problem re-discussing an important issue that has not yet been resolved .. not that it will ever be resolved on this thread, but it is certainly worth further discussion regardless of who initiated it. Opinions are just that .. opinions, and everybody has one. Vent away ...
X2 no need for so much hate.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
YOU DONT OWN WILDLIFE!!!

It doesn't matter if they are on your land. You are the one being selfish.

And bow hunters have not "eliminated" anything. Crossbows were illegal entirely for the vast majority of your supposed hunting career. Get off your high horse and go hunt a general season where it is open.
When it comes down to hunters with your attitude and Wildlife located on my land, you may want to reconsider who effectively "owns" them. No suppositions on that point !

Last edited by Salavee; 07-26-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Wasn't the question, is a crossbow a bow. Or something to that effect ?

Seems to me that the answer to that is in the dictionary.

We can debate all day long about advantages and disadvantages. It will solve nothing.

There will still be the same total number of tags available this fall whether or not Crossbows are allowed.

For me I give up nothing and I loose nothing. I don't apply for draws, I never have and never will.
The Deer and Moose I hunt can be hunted by anyone with the appropriate tag with any legal weapon they choose.

Every year there seems to be fewer and fewer tags available. For certain, in this area there are far fewer opportunities for me due to the increase in hunters from outside the district.
I'm okay with that.

I don't own the wildlife here or anywhere. It belongs to everyone.

If a hunter chooses to come from Calgary to Manning to hunt, that's his or her right. If he or she chooses to use a Bow instead of a rifle, that's his choice too.
Yes it may mean less opportunity for me but that the way it works. We ALL own the resource.

Just because I live here, or just because I prefer to hunt with a rifle gives me no more rights then someone from another part of the province or who prefers to use a different legal weapon.

Frankly I am appalled at the attitude of those who oppose crossbows.

You really don't get it do you. You are not giving anything up because YOU DON'T OWN IT EXCLUSIVELY.

Nuff said. Haters will hate and lovers will love.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-26-2015, 12:38 PM

If you don't like it don't do it. Nobody on either side of the debate should judge others because their choice of gear or opinion is different than theirs. Just my two cents.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:45 PM

Gonna start sending emails to our new govt demanding crossbows be placed in the archery season and compounds and traditional be placed in general. There's way to many compound hunters out there.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Hahaha I love to see these jokers with their noses all out of joint over crossbows... Look at your release/trigger, you're just holding your crossbow the wrong way!
Yep, "Gangsta style".
Old 07-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Gone Hunting

For what it's worth. I have no issues with crossbows being made legal in the rifle season and not the bow season. Let the chips fall where they may.

Clearly they are archery equipment but if the powers that be decide they belong in the rifle season, so be it.

I had no issues with archery users getting their own season, why would this be any different.

But it really doesn't matter. I do not make those decisions and Like I said before, I don't own the resources here.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-26-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
For what it's worth. I have no issues with crossbows being made legal in the rifle season and not the bow season. Let the chips fall where they may.

Clearly they are archery equipment but if the powers that be decide they belong in the rifle season, so be it.

I had no issues with archery users getting their own season, why would this be any different.

But it really doesn't matter. I do not make those decisions and Like I said before, I don't own the resources here.
They are legal right now during general season, archery season is for archery tackle and for those who are physically limited to not be able to use archery equipment.

If crossbows were not easier to use why are the "physically disabled" able to and allowed to use them?

....leave things as they are, what's wrong with it?

On private land a child under the age of 12 can legally hunt black bears and some other things...let's say a 7 year old.

So now let's give that 7 year old a cross bow with a rest and a legal hunting bow....which one could they use and shoot effectively at say 20-30 yards?

If you can't see the difference you don't want to...nothing against crossbows but they are already legal to use, let's leave it at that...

LC
Old 07-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They are legal right now during general season, archery season is for archery tackle and for those who are physically limited to not be able to use archery equipment.

If crossbows were not easier to use why are the "physically disabled" able to and allowed to use them?

....leave things as they are, what's wrong with it?

LC
In what respects are X-bows physically easier to use ?
Perhaps with a shoulder injury they may be a bit easier to shoot but they are more difficult to handle in other areas. Ever try packing one ? .. or cocking one in a treestand ? When a person is disabled enough to obtain medical approval for their use, they should be allowed to use a hand grenade... and have a partner to throw it.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
In what respects are X-bows physically easier to use ?
Perhaps with a shoulder injury they may be a bit easier to shoot but they are more difficult to handle in other areas. Ever try packing one ? .. or cocking one in a treestand ? When a person is disabled enough to obtain medical approval for their use, they should be allowed to use a hand grenade... and have a partner to throw it.
I can cock a crossbow and hand it to anyone to shoot...can you do that with a compound bow?

Can I use a rest with a compound bow....

My buddies brother is para...near quadriplegic, he can use a crossbow and I applaud that he does but he requires assistance. I think he has one deer to date. He can't use a compound bow...because it is too difficult in his permanent physical state.

Was this a real question?

LC
Old 07-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Let's not forget about all that extra movement done at a critical moment known as the draw cycle. Getting in range is half the battle. Getting the bow drawn and aimed, with your body in a position that allows a safe release is the other half.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Gone Hunting

What has ease of use got to do with anything ?

You want to split hairs, compound bows are easier to use then long bows.
Automatic rifles are easier to use the bolt action.

Pathetic excuses when there is no just reason to object.

Why do you have more rights then a person who doesn't like the difficulty of learning the neccissary skills ? Or perhaps doesn't have the physical abilities.

Not handicapped, but slight built of simply not as strong.

I have yet to see any legitimate reason for objecting to crossbows.

If safety is an issue let's hear about it. If crossbows routinely kill more then one animal per shot, let's hear about that.

If all you have to argue is ease of use you are way off base.

One tag per person. What does it matter how easy it is for the next guy.

Next you'll be arguing, or someone will, that no one should be allowed to hunt within 100 miles of their home, because it's too easy for them and that's not fair because poor you has to travel 300 miles to find game you can hunt.

You have your own season now, keep it up and the rest of us might get tired of the nonsense and demand the field be really level.

After all, if it is no longer about safety, then lets put everything in to one season.
Or would you rather there be separate seasons for every possible choice of weapon ?
Now that would be fair to everyone.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander you know.

You get your way, then I should get my way. That's democracy.

I was okay with bow hunters having their own season. I'm thinking I need to reevaluate that stance. One season for everyone sounds good to me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-26-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Let's not forget about all that extra movement done at a critical moment known as the draw cycle. Getting in range is half the battle. Getting the bow drawn and aimed, with your body in a position that allows a safe release is the other half.
That is hardly a comparison. With the let-off's on compounds I don't see where the "critical moment" is much of a factor. Gad man, you can do a tap dance in a 20 ft treestand or a good ground blindand still get it done.
Why all the hairsplitting ?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:49 PM

Typical emotional response from you Keg . One season any weapon is that good Keg?

....completely missing the point....

Again this thread should not exist, I got suckered and so did everyone else, it was dead months ago until some troll dug it up from the grave.

I am out.

LC
Old 07-26-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
That is hardly a comparison. With the let-off's on compounds I don't see where the "critical moment" is much of a factor. Gad man, you can do a tap dance in a 20 ft treestand or a good ground blindand still get it done.
Why all the hairsplitting ?
It's hardly hairsplitting. My bow hunting this far has been elk, moose, antelope and mule deer. Done on the ground and on the move, not out of a blind. If I had the luxury of a pre-drawn bow, that was fired from the shoulder comfortably from a prone or crouching position, chances are pretty good I would actually have 2 or 3 (or more) kills to my credit. As it stands, I have been in range of multiple animals only to have my cover blown when trying to draw and fire. 10 years of bow hunting and I'm still skunked. I'm not complaining though, I still love trying.

If you want to stalk an animal at full draw, since today's letoffs are so high, please do. I'd love it if you could prove me wrong.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
It's hardly hairsplitting. My bow hunting this far has been elk, moose, antelope and mule deer. Done on the ground and on the move, not out of a blind. If I had the luxury of a pre-drawn bow, that was fired from the shoulder comfortably from a prone or crouching position, chances are pretty good I would actually have 2 or 3 (or more) kills to my credit. As it stands, I have been in range of multiple animals only to have my cover blown when trying to draw and fire. 10 years of bow hunting and I'm still skunked. I'm not complaining though, I still love trying.

If you want to stalk an animal at full draw, since today's letoffs are so high, please do. I'd love it if you could prove me wrong.

Stalking is a method of choice and I'm glad you love it. A person may be able to get closer to their quarry than a tick but try that with a cocked X-Bow . Really, there are far more disadvantages to a X-Bow than there are advantages. Stalking is one of them.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Typical emotional response from you Keg . One season any weapon is that good Keg?

....completely missing the point....

Again this thread should not exist, I got suckered and so did everyone else, it was dead months ago until some troll dug it up from the grave.

I am out.

LC
yes! Why is that so troubling? 1 season. 100%
Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
yes! Why is that so troubling? 1 season. 100%
One word....safety!

Decoy antelope waiting for a 20 yard shot with a guy scoping you from 700 yards with a nontrophy tag....no thanks!

LC
Old 07-26-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
One word....safety!

Decoy antelope waiting for a 20 yard shot with a guy scoping you from 700 yards with a nontrophy tag....no thanks!

LC
If that was the case crossbows would already be in the archery season.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
One word....safety!

LC
Then you guys should scoot over and make some room for the crossbow guys in your season! Safety first right! It would be the gentlemanly thing to do =)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:10 PM

Yes the ongoing debate about what to kill the animal with rings through our minds as we review the images and time/date stamps from our digital trail cameras. Dumb.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-26-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Then you guys should scoot over and make some room for the crossbow guys in your season! Safety first right! It would be the gentlemanly thing to do =)
The solution is obvious, just make a season for every type of weapon

1 week longbow or recurve only

1 week compound bows only

1 week recurve crossbows

1 week compound crossbows

1 week flintlocks

1 week percussion, no inlines, no scopes

1 week inlines or scoped muzzle loaders

1 week blackpowder cartridge rifles, no scopes

1 week blackpowder cartridge rifles with scopes

1 week smokeless powder rifles, no scopes allowed

1 week for scoped smokeless powder rifles.

That should make everyone happy.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:24 PM

I say allow Xguns !

Make them purchase xgun permits( like bow permits), Hopefully that shoots the percentage of people who don't use a rifle up! Then they will have to adjust the % of allowable harvest up from 15% to something more significant ( 30,40, maybe 50%)... which will cut the number from rifle hunters directly. Wonder how that discussion will turn out? ( That will be interesting for bowhunters to watch that fight)

Then the conundrum, rifle or xgun? ( interesting for sure, because the guys with permits don't have a dog in this fight, they get to hunt regardless)

That should be enough to also split the draws into general, and non gun powder seasons on all species, without the option of applying for both! And the extra draw tags will be nice for bowhunters.

edit*

Elk11, you forgot spears, slingshots, knives and bumpers! Choke holds should be general year round!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 PM

I agree with Keg, what does it matter if the crossbow makes it easier? Isn't that just a personal choice? (And I actually believe its easier with a compound than a xbow.) And if you are bothered that the next guy has an advantage over you then you can level the field with $500.

I have never thought that the archery only season was established because it was more difficult than rifle hunting. Was that a reason?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I agree with Keg, what does it matter if the crossbow makes it easier? Isn't that just a personal choice? (And I actually believe its easier with a compound than a xbow.) And if you are bothered that the next guy has an advantage over you then you can level the field with $500.

I have never thought that the archery only season was established because it was more difficult than rifle hunting. Was that a reason?
Part of the reasoning for an archery season, is that the success rates are lower, so that the hunting opportunity can be increased, without increasing the harvest significantly. So yes, the fact that it is more difficult to kill an animal with a bow was a factor.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The solution is obvious, just make a season for every type of weapon

1 week longbow or recurve only

1 week compound bows only

1 week recurve crossbows

1 week compound crossbows

1 week flintlocks

1 week percussion, no inlines, no scopes

1 week inlines or scoped muzzle loaders

1 week blackpowder cartridge rifles, no scopes

1 week blackpowder cartridge rifles with scopes

1 week smokeless powder rifles, no scopes allowed

1 week for scoped smokeless powder rifles.

That should make everyone happy.
Hey that would make sense if most of that equipment wasn't restricted to under 100 yards
Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Hey that would make sense if most of that equipment wasn't restricted to under 100 yards

easy solution. Three day seasons for all archery equipment.
Two day seasons for all blackpowder weapons
One day seasons for all nitro powder firearms.

If you can't make everyone happy at least make everyone mad.

George Bernard Shaw