Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:43 PM

I'm getting a little irritated with the excuse that pot doesn't cause as much damage as alcohol. That's like comparing a rock to a knife.

Look at prohibition, the only reason alcohol isn't illegal too is because it's IMPOSSIBLE to police. Growing pot/cooking meth takes special equipment, chemicals, seeds, all stuff that's pretty easy to trace. Alcohol on the other hand is a byproduct of anything organic. If they outlawed booze tomrrow then every idiot on the block would be brewing moonshine from potatoes, orange peels, or his damm grass clippings.

I'm not coming down on people who drink in general, most people are reasonably responsible. I do kinda think that alcohol acts like a crutch or a substitute for things we should find the hard way.

If throwing potato chips in the toilet isn't funny when you're not loaded then ya really gotta ask yourself if you're getting the most out of your life
Old 09-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
I'm getting a little irritated with the excuse that pot doesn't cause as much damage as alcohol. That's like comparing a rock to a knife.

Look at prohibition, the only reason alcohol isn't illegal too is because it's IMPOSSIBLE to police. Growing pot/cooking meth takes special equipment, chemicals, seeds, all stuff that's pretty easy to trace. Alcohol on the other hand is a byproduct of anything organic. If they outlawed booze tomrrow then every idiot on the block would be brewing moonshine from potatoes, orange peels, or his damm grass clippings.

I'm not coming down on people who drink in general, most people are reasonably responsible. I do kinda think that alcohol acts like a crutch or a substitute for things we should find the hard way.

If throwing potato chips in the toilet isn't funny when you're not loaded then ya really gotta ask yourself if you're getting the most out of your life
What exactly do you mean by your "rock to a knife" analogy? Pot hasn't ever killed anyone directly in recorded history. Are you saying that it bludgeons you to death? If so, LOL!

It is impossible to enforce prohibition, period. All cannabis prohibition does is turn possible tax dollars into revenue for organized crime. Like someone previously said in this thread, we could be one of the richest countries in the world.

I also question what you mean by "Alcohol is a product of anything organic". Are you trying to describe this as a merit of alcohol? Cannabis is TOTALLY organic, it's a plant. It will grow fine in your own backyard! Only some people try to make the most potent stuff by using special indoor equipment. Furthermore, every "idiot" on the block often does produce it. You would be surprised how many people grow their own personal stuff, for personal use. It's our right to have liberty in our free country.

Have you ever tried cannabis?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyguitar View Post
What exactly do you mean by your "rock to a knife" analogy? Pot hasn't ever killed anyone directly in recorded history. Are you saying that it bludgeons you to death? If so, LOL!

It is impossible to enforce prohibition, period. All cannabis prohibition does is turn possible tax dollars into revenue for organized crime. Like someone previously said in this thread, we could be one of the richest countries in the world.

I also question what you mean by "Alcohol is a product of anything organic". Are you trying to describe this as a merit of alcohol? Cannabis is TOTALLY organic, it's a plant. It will grow fine in your own backyard! Only some people try to make the most potent stuff by using special indoor equipment. Furthermore, every "idiot" on the block often does produce it. You would be surprised how many people grow their own personal stuff, for personal use. It's our right to have liberty in our free country.

Nah...edit.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Like someone previously said in this thread, we could be one of the richest countries in the world.
I don't think legalizing marijuana is going to make Canada the richest country in the world...
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I don't think legalizing marijuana is going to make Canada the richest country in the world...
Legalize it and tax it, there is a lot of money to be made..
Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Don't really agree with lots but there is money to be made. Too much taxes and the drug dealers would be back.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:

It's hard to come up with a good analogy for that but what I meant is that pot isn't "good for you" just because it's less bad than alcohol. It might not kill you directly like a 100% shot from St. Pierre will but it still has the potential to wreck your life in the long run.

I didn't mean to say that alcohol being organic is a benefit like organic baby food What I meant was that to grow pot you need seeds, a place to grow it, maybe a lamp....etc. Making meth is even harder. Whereas to get alcohol all you have to do is not empty your trash for a while; it's a natural process. Basically anyone can brew up alcohol in one form or another without buying alot of special equipment or supplies that might get them caught.

I agree that prohibition doesn't work very well. In the end if people want something bad enough they'll find a way to get it. I just wish they'd make different choices.

No I haven't tried cannabis. If you're implying that if I tried it I'd like it... well you're probably right. That's not a good enough reason to try something though. Maybe it would enhance my life and maybe it would lead me to my doom. That's the thing about responsible choices; some risks aren't worth it.

As far as that free country stuff....being free doesn't mean you've got no responsibility to the rest of your countrymen. 2000 years ago you had the freedom to smoke all the pot you wanted. And if you managed to club that bear on the head with a rock afterwards then good for you. Fortunately now we've got a government whose job it is to keep us safe. No bears knocking on the door (usually) and no having to hunt for food. We've got free time that we don't have to use for our own survival. That doesn't mean we should use it to do things that drag down everyone else. We're lucky to have what we have and we shouldn't take it for granted.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
It's hard to come up with a good analogy for that but what I meant is that pot isn't "good for you" just because it's less bad than alcohol. It might not kill you directly like a 100% shot from St. Pierre will but it still has the potential to wreck your life in the long run.

I didn't mean to say that alcohol being organic is a benefit like organic baby food What I meant was that to grow pot you need seeds, a place to grow it, maybe a lamp....etc. Making meth is even harder. Whereas to get alcohol all you have to do is not empty your trash for a while; it's a natural process. Basically anyone can brew up alcohol in one form or another without buying alot of special equipment or supplies that might get them caught.

I agree that prohibition doesn't work very well. In the end if people want something bad enough they'll find a way to get it. I just wish they'd make different choices.

No I haven't tried cannabis. If you're implying that if I tried it I'd like it... well you're probably right. That's not a good enough reason to try something though. Maybe it would enhance my life and maybe it would lead me to my doom. That's the thing about responsible choices; some risks aren't worth it.

As far as that free country stuff....being free doesn't mean you've got no responsibility to the rest of your countrymen. 2000 years ago you had the freedom to smoke all the pot you wanted. And if you managed to club that bear on the head with a rock afterwards then good for you. Fortunately now we've got a government whose job it is to keep us safe. No bears knocking on the door (usually) and no having to hunt for food. We've got free time that we don't have to use for our own survival. That doesn't mean we should use it to do things that drag down everyone else. We're lucky to have what we have and we shouldn't take it for granted.

Pot isnt dangerous at all....not even the least bit. The ONLY way it is dangerous is some of the drug dealers who ALSO deal coke and meth. The mexician cartel is bad for pot too. but if the drug dealers had nothing to do with selling pot then there wouldnt be ANY problems. Like you dont see the local coke dealer selling liquor and cig's do you?

I think everyone should try smoking at least once, because once you do you will see how stupid this whole arguement is. The drug dealers and growers dont want it legal, because then they are out of money, and the police and politicians dont want it legal because then they are out of money.

You shouldnt compare meth production to growing weed because they are not similar at all. Making your own booze is more dangerous then growing pot. where as meth production produces tons of toxic/flamable fumes.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we don't have illegal trade in cigarettes or anything.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Pot isnt dangerous at all....not even the least bit. The ONLY way it is dangerous is some of the drug dealers who ALSO deal coke and meth. The mexician cartel is bad for pot too. but if the drug dealers had nothing to do with selling pot then there wouldnt be ANY problems. Like you dont see the local coke dealer selling liquor and cig's do you?

I think everyone should try smoking at least once, because once you do you will see how stupid this whole arguement is. The drug dealers and growers dont want it legal, because then they are out of money, and the police and politicians dont want it legal because then they are out of money.

You shouldnt compare meth production to growing weed because they are not similar at all. Making your own booze is more dangerous then growing pot. where as meth production produces tons of toxic/flamable fumes.
Think I'll pass on trying it once, if for no other reason that that stuff STINKS like nothing else. Seriously, you handle a piece of BC bud for a second and you and your whole place reek for days.

I don't think it should be legal. I also don't think you can stomp it out with prohibition as much as I'd like to. I don't think it leads to anything good.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Yeah, we don't have illegal trade in cigarettes or anything.
does anyone even know where to buy illegal cigarettes? I could find a joint way quicker then an illegal pack of smokes. I hope weed stays outlawed so I can stick with my retirement project living in the mountains of BC growing pot I will say one thing if they keep upping the sentences for marijuana possession I'm becoming more and more tempted to turn in my old lady
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM

Anyone see the new big bang theory?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Pot isnt dangerous at all....not even the least bit.
This is blatantly not true. I work in this field and have for 12 years. Pot represents the third most common reported drug of concern treated in our clinic (after alcohol and tobacco). Pot (especially BC bud) now contains upwards of 27% THC compared to 3-5% in the 70s and 80s. Longitudinal studies have proven regular pot use in early adolescence alters brain development and can in some cases trigger psychosis, depression and other mental health conditions to those with predisposition markers. Does this happen to everyone? Nope. Do we message this in schools? Nope. Because the kid that tries it for the first, second, third time, etc. will then think that message is BS and continue using because "pot didn't make me crazy." Instead we encourage parents and teachers to have open coversations and dialogue about questions kids have.

In my practice, I refer to pot as the "blessing and the curse drug" because unfortunately, many people can function and hold down a job even with daily use. In my clinic one of two situations tend to present with pot in the mix: 1. Pot use has coincided with some sort of "mental health episode" - usually in teens or young adults or 2. We get folks who have been smoking pot for many many years and they harbor a lot of regrets because they've never felt motivated to move past that $12/hr job, challenge themselves or go to university. They're basically stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear in life and can't get past that. Now these symptoms tend to coincide with regular use over time. But because of this I cannot let blanket statements go claiming that pot is completely benign. It's not. And for those who don't think pot is addictive - it is. Here's the test to determine if a substance is addictive. It's actually the most accurate but simple measure to determine addictive potential in a drug. That measure is: whether or not it's sold on the street. If it's not sold on the street or illegally to minors, then there's 99.9% chance it's not addictive.

Anyway, here's some text and link to the research I referenced.

Overview: Use of street drugs (including LSD,methamphetamine,marijuana/hash/cannabis) and alcohol have been linked with significantly increased probability of developing psychosis and schizophrenia. This link has been documented in over 30 different scientific studies (studies done mostly in the UK, Australia and Sweden) over the past 20 years. In one example, a study interviewed 50,000 members of the Swedish Army about their drug consumption and followed up with them later in life. Those who were heavy consumers of cannabis at age 18 were over 600% more likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia over the next 15 years than those did not take it. (see diagram below). Experts estimate that between 8% and 13% of all schizophrenia cases are linked to marijuna / cannabis use during teen years.

Source: Cannabis and schizophrenia. A longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts, Lancet, 1987)

http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevent...reetdrugs.html
Old 09-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Don't really agree with lots but there is money to be made. Too much taxes and the drug dealers would be back.
How often do you purchase moonshine?

Or anyone for that matter?

Booze is super expensive in BC, but I've never come across black market booze.

I know where there is more difficult economic times such as the UK that contraband booze is a a growth industry.

However, we have a massive alcohol industry in Canada that provides enormous tax revenue.

Think about the Okanagan, wine, tourism etc etc, Niagara region same thing.

Well respected vineyards, agriculture, JOBS with taxable income!!!!! Tourism dollars. Not too mentioned luxury taxes on retail sales.

Hehe, not to mentioned carbon offset credits
Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 PM

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/SEN/Co...y/dolin1-e.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_po...he_Netherlands

http://www.sarnia.com/groups/antidru...ent/myths.html

http://www.justice.gov/dea/demand/speakout/09so.htm

Fact 9: Europe’s More Liberal Drug Policies Are Not the Right Model for America.

Over the past decade, European drug policy has gone through some dramatic changes toward greater liberalization. The Netherlands, considered to have led the way in the liberalization of drug policy, is only one of a number of West European countries to relax penalties for marijuana possession. Now several European nations are looking to relax penalties on all drugs—including cocaine and heroin—as Portugal did in July 2001, when minor possession of all drugs was decriminalized.

There is no uniform drug policy in Europe. Some countries have liberalized their laws, while others have instituted strict drug control policies. Which means that the so-called “European Model” is a misnomer. Like America, the various countries of Europe are looking for new ways to combat the worldwide problem of drug abuse.

The Netherlands has led Europe in the liberalization of drug policy. “Coffee shops” began to emerge throughout the Netherlands in 1976, offering marijuana products for sale. Possession and sale of marijuana are not legal, but coffee shops are permitted to operate and sell marijuana under certain restrictions, including a limit of no more than 5 grams sold to a person at any one time, no alcohol or hard drugs, no minors, and no advertising. In the Netherlands, it is illegal to sell or possess marijuana products. So coffee shop operators must purchase their marijuana products from illegal drug trafficking organizations.

Apparently, there has been some public dissatisfaction with the government’s policy. Recently the Dutch government began considering scaling back the quantity of marijuana available in coffee shops from 5 to 3 grams.

Furthermore, drug abuse has increased in the Netherlands. From 1984 to 1996, marijuana use among 18-25 year olds in Holland increased twofold. Since legalization of marijuana, heroin addiction levels in Holland have tripled and perhaps even quadrupled by some estimates.

The increasing use of marijuana is responsible for more than increased crime. It has widespread social implications as well. The head of Holland’s best-known drug abuse rehabilitation center has described what the new drug culture has created: The strong form of marijuana that most of the young people smoke, he says, produces “a chronically passive individual—someone who is lazy, who doesn’t want to take initiatives, doesn’t want to be active—the kid who’d prefer to lie in bed with a joint in the morning rather than getting up and doing something.”

Lifetime Cannabis Use (in the Netherlands): 1984=15%, 1996=44%Marijuana is not the only illegal drug to find a home in the Netherlands. The club drug commonly referred to as Ecstasy (3, 4-methylenedioxy-methamphetamine or MDMA) also has strong roots in the Netherlands. The majority of the world’s Ecstasy is produced in clandestine laboratories in the Netherlands and, to a lesser extent, Belgium.

The growing Ecstasy problem in Europe, and the Netherlands’ pivotal role in Ecstasy production, has led the Dutch government to look once again to law enforcement. In May 2001, the government announced a “Five Year Offensive against the Production, Trade, and Consumption of Synthetic Drugs.” The offensive focuses on more cooperation among the enforcement agencies with the Unit Synthetic Drugs playing a pivotal role.

Recognizing that the government needs to take firm action to deal with the increasing levels of addiction, in April 2001, the Dutch government established the Penal Care Facility for Addicts. Like American Drug Treatment Courts, this facility is designed to detain and treat addicts (of any drug) who repeatedly commit crimes and have failed voluntary treatment facilities. Offenders may be held in this facility for up to two years, during which time they will go through a three-phase program. The first phase focuses on detoxification, while the second and third phases focus on training for social reintegration.

The United Kingdom has also experimented with the relaxation of drug laws. Until the mid-1960s, British physicians were allowed to prescribe heroin to certain classes of addicts. According to political scientist James Q. Wilson, “a youthful drug culture emerged with a demand for drugs far different from that of the older addicts.” Many addicts chose to boycott the program and continued to get their heroin from illicit drug distributors. The British Government’s experiment with controlled heroin distribution, says Wilson, resulted in, at a minimum, a 30-fold increase in the number of addicts in ten years.

map of AmsterdamSwitzerland has some of the most liberal drug policies in Europe. In late 1980s, Zurich experimented with what became known as Needle Park, where addicts could openly purchase drugs and inject heroin without police intervention. Zurich became the hub for drug addicts across Europe, until the experiment was ended, and “Needle Park” was shut down.

Many proponents of drug legalization or decriminalization claim that drug use will be reduced if drugs were legalized. However, history has not shown this assertion to be true. According to an October 2000 CNN report, marijuana, the illegal drug most often decriminalized, is “continuing to spread in the European Union, with one in five people across the 15-state bloc having tried it at least once.”

photo-James Q. WilsonIt’s not just marijuana use that is increasing in Europe. According to the 2001 Annual Report on the State of the Drugs Problem in the European Union, there is a Europe-wide increase in cocaine use. The report also cites a new trend of mixing “base/crack” cocaine with tobacco in a joint at nightspots. With the increase in use, Europe is also seeing an increase in the number of drug users seeking treatment for cocaine use.

Drug policy also has an impact on general crime. In a 2001 study, the British Home Office found violent crime and property crime increased in the late 1990s in every wealthy country except the United States.

Not all of Europe has been swept up in the trend to liberalize drug laws. Sweden, Finland, and Greece have the strictest policies against drugs in Europe. Sweden’s zero-tolerance policy is widely supported within the country and among the various political parties. Drug use is relatively low in the Scandinavian countries.

In April 1994, a number of European cities signed a resolution titled “European Cities Against Drugs,” commonly known as the Stockholm resolution. It states: “The demands to legalize illicit drugs should be seen against the background of current problems, which have led to a feeling of helplessness. For many, the only way to cope is to try to administer the current situation. But the answer does not lie in making harmful drugs more accessible, cheaper, and socially acceptable. Attempts to do this have not proved successful. By making them legal, society will signal that it has resigned to the acceptance of drug abuse. The signatories to this resolution therefore want to make their position clear by rejecting the proposals to legalize illicit drugs. ”
Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

I know where there is more difficult economic times such as the UK that contraband booze is a a growth industry.

However, we have a massive alcohol industry in Canada that provides enormous tax revenue.

Well respected vineyards, agriculture, JOBS with taxable income!!!!! Tourism dollars. Not too mentioned luxury taxes on retail sales.

I have definitely had home brewed beer and wine from quite a few different people. I don't think the alcohol industry is driving our economy and I highly doubt marijuana would either.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Pot isnt dangerous at all....not even the least bit.
Try convince the life insurance companies of that. As far as their statistics show pot smoking is at least as dangerous as cigarette smoking and depending on the amount of pot that you smoke you could be denied insurance coverage all together.

That means that the risk of you dying as a result of being a pot smoker is 30 -50% higher than if you don't smoke pot.

Last edited by alwaysfishn; 09-23-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 PM

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

Everything you need to know and no its not "harmless" But theres still a more reasonable way to deal with it IE treat it like alcohol or tobacco if for no other reason but to eliminate the money the drug trade gets from it. But someone is going to say well next they wil lwant to do that for harder drugs .... Etc. this conversation is never going to end its been going on since the 1800s
Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfishn View Post
Try convince the life insurance companies of that. As far as their statistics show pot smoking is at least as dangerous as cigarette smoking and depending on the amount of pot that you smoke you could be denied insurance coverage all together.

That means that the risk of you dying as a result of being a pot smoker is 30 -50% higher than if you don't smoke pot.
yeah cause most pot heads getting life insurance give them the full heads up on the currently illegal activity there involved with.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post

Everything you need to know and no its not "harmless" But theres still a more reasonable way to deal with it IE treat it like alcohol or tobacco if for no other reason but to eliminate the money the drug trade gets from it. But someone is going to say well next they wil lwant to do that for harder drugs .... Etc. this conversation is never going to end its been going on since the 1800s
You are so correct on many counts.

You have to really with drug users...they are NOT trying to convince US that it is okay and not a problem...

They ARE actually trying to convince THEMSELVES that...and failing...

Looking in the mirror...is very difficult when you are already unable to help yourself and lack the confidence to change. They need to hit rock bottom usually.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You are so correct on many counts.

You have to really with drug users...they are NOT trying to convince US that it is okay and not a problem...

They ARE actually trying to convince THEMSELVES that...and failing...

Looking in the mirror...is very difficult when you are already unable to help yourself and lack the confidence to change. They need to hit rock bottom usually.
Your so sad. I feel so sorry for your closed mind
Old 09-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post

it actually started in the 1930's about pot,it was perfectly legal in 1920 to grow and smoke pot.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:01 AM

Default dope

OK I have not read any of these posts but here is my stand.

Pot is ok, leagalize it so the Gov. gets his share and the users know what it is they are smoking (how much laced sht is really out there).

NOW... I've read that the 1st time users of crystal meth have a 66% chance of addiction and 2nd time users 96% chance of addiction. That is a life sentence of HELL for the user and those ever associated with. The people caught making/distributing MUST get the same sentence. "LIFE" WIthout a doubt.

Are you not afraid for your childern!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Banned

We all hate it when liberals who have never touched a gun makes laws about guns. So why are we letting snobs who are so full of themselves, and have never smoked weed make laws. Its understandable for hard drugs but come on a drug that can't kill you should be legal.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Banned

My take on this whole thing is that we as humans tend to have addictive personalities. Each person differs as to how they handle it. Comparing MJ to meth is like comparing 99.9% proof alchol to 7% beer its not a fair comparison. As per health issues, I am personaly more affraid of Mcdonalds and burger king addiction then finding out my kid likes to smoke a joint once and a while (everything in moderation). I have tried it and do enjoy it(laughed my azz off), but again right time, place and moderation. I have a friend that would be considered a heavy user and to say that it is addictive I have to disaggree. When he goes off it due to work he dosnt get the shakes or withdrawn symptoms of like crack, herion, meth or even a person that abuses alcohal. I work with a guy that drinks daily and at the end of a 12hr shift the guys shaken like a dog pooing razor blades and not to mention HE REAKES OF BOOZE. For the record on TAXES, Hemp is a plant that contains very little THC if any and has more purposes then any other plant recorded in history and the goverment could make a fortune off it, but because it is linked to MJ it gets a bad rap. IMO this new law is going to make the growers even richer because of the fact of supply and demand. Demand will not change and due the the risk that the growers will be taking they will just jack up thier prices. For the people that think it is a GATEWAY drug, please feel free to pull your head out of your BUMs its not a good argument. BOOZE IMO is a total gateway drug, the 10 feet tall and bullet proof syndrome. I personaly have done actions drunk that I would have never even considered thinking about sober or after smoking a joint. For the people that think WEED is 10 time stronger than in the past, your WRONG to. Think of MJ as alcohol, you can get what ever you want 2% THC or as high as 30% THC. Sativa is more of an upper high than Indica which is considered more of a bedtime smoke. For the people that think everything is LACED with coke or meth..cocain last time I heard was going for around $100 a gram. So to say that a street dealer is going to sell you a joint laced with cocain unknowingly is BS. Nothing is free, that 5 dollor joint if laced with cocain is now going to cost you whatever 20 dollors IE. For medical purposes IMO, MJ is a miracle drug and one that the doctors and researchers still have yet to uncover. The doctor had no problem subscribing oxycoton to a family member for pain due to cancer treatment. It made her completely sick and unable to cope with daily life. After a little chat with her and some minor convincing, my buddy stepped in and hooked her up with some MJ and the change in her moral and will to live was unbelivable. So like the the saying goes, when it comes to MJ I think that law enforcement and the GOV have bigger fish to fry and this will be just more waste of tax dollors for victimless crime.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 AM

The withdrawal symptoms from marijuana are completely different than from alcohol, you cannot compare the two of them except for the fact that they do mess a person up- in different ways.
Alcohol is far more immediate and noticeable when the person is in withdrawal than marijuana.

Cat
Old 09-24-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

the best moonshine that I ever drank was made in Bowness alberta and that guy that made it had a bigger market than he cuold supplie he made a lot of money over the years doing it. not that long ago though the 1990s in to the early 2000s the only reason he quit was he died. and I bet most people that lived in bowness at that time new him as he lived thier for 50 years or more.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Sharpsh00ter View Post
My take on this whole thing is that we as humans tend to have addictive personalities. Each person differs as to how they handle it. Comparing MJ to meth is like comparing 99.9% proof alchol to 7% beer its not a fair comparison. As per health issues, I am personaly more affraid of Mcdonalds and burger king addiction then finding out my kid likes to smoke a joint once and a while (everything in moderation). I have tried it and do enjoy it(laughed my azz off), but again right time, place and moderation. I have a friend that would be considered a heavy user and to say that it is addictive I have to disaggree. When he goes off it due to work he dosnt get the shakes or withdrawn symptoms of like crack, herion, meth or even a person that abuses alcohal. I work with a guy that drinks daily and at the end of a 12hr shift the guys shaken like a dog pooing razor blades and not to mention HE REAKES OF BOOZE. For the record on TAXES, Hemp is a plant that contains very little THC if any and has more purposes then any other plant recorded in history and the goverment could make a fortune off it, but because it is linked to MJ it gets a bad rap. IMO this new law is going to make the growers even richer because of the fact of supply and demand. Demand will not change and due the the risk that the growers will be taking they will just jack up thier prices. For the people that think it is a GATEWAY drug, please feel free to pull your head out of your BUMs its not a good argument. BOOZE IMO is a total gateway drug, the 10 feet tall and bullet proof syndrome. I personaly have done actions drunk that I would have never even considered thinking about sober or after smoking a joint. For the people that think WEED is 10 time stronger than in the past, your WRONG to. Think of MJ as alcohol, you can get what ever you want 2% THC or as high as 30% THC. Sativa is more of an upper high than Indica which is considered more of a bedtime smoke. For the people that think everything is LACED with coke or meth..cocain last time I heard was going for around $100 a gram. So to say that a street dealer is going to sell you a joint laced with cocain unknowingly is BS. Nothing is free, that 5 dollor joint if laced with cocain is now going to cost you whatever 20 dollors IE. For medical purposes IMO, MJ is a miracle drug and one that the doctors and researchers still have yet to uncover. The doctor had no problem subscribing oxycoton to a family member for pain due to cancer treatment. It made her completely sick and unable to cope with daily life. After a little chat with her and some minor convincing, my buddy stepped in and hooked her up with some MJ and the change in her moral and will to live was unbelivable. So like the the saying goes, when it comes to MJ I think that law enforcement and the GOV have bigger fish to fry and this will be just more waste of tax dollors for victimless crime.
We can give examples of people we know until the cows come home. For every guy who knows a guy who smokes pot and is perfectly fine there's someone else who knows a guy who ruined his life with it.

This argument isn't about absolutes. Pot doesn't need to be deadly like cyanide to be a detriment to our society. Substance abuse, even in moderation, can be used to gloss over parts of your life that you should really be working to improve; not for my sake or anyone else's but for your own.

Where's the incentive to grow and learn as a person when you can get your instant happiness from a joint? Maybe you'll live a great life having tried it and maybe I would too but if we want to deal in examples I can march a few hundred guys out of the local shelter who tried one thing or another and didn't live happily ever after.

As for your friend in pain, I'm really happy for her that she's doing so well. I really am. There's a proper use for everything and I've got nothing against medical marijuana anymore than I'm against medical anything.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
Your so sad. I feel so sorry for your closed mind
You are psychologically very indicative of a typical peer pressure based argument I ran into in junior and high school...not so much in university. Interesting to note that.

The typical argument is since I am doing it so should you. By you convincing others you validate the behavior for yourself. It is an attempt at herd mentality and trying to create a uniformity in thought so that others conform to your belief. When you or someone is not so sure it is the right thing to do...human nature is designed to try and attract others to the same behavior to both validate and create a societal approval mechanism. You see this in crowds that turn into mobs and riots. People try and get others to join in before they themselves jump all the way in. Unfortunately...many people have not developed a great self of self worth and confidence in which to deflect this soft attack.

As such...while you as a drug user feels I am sad for not succumbing to your addictions and attempts at personal behavior and mental modifications...I understand and feel you pain and hope you eventually grow out of it before it is too late.

I sincerely hope all the children and young adults reading this thread realize and see the full scope of how drug users will try to convince you through various forms of peer pressure to use drugs. Anyone purporting to be your friend and won't take no for an answer...is not your friend. Run...don't walk away from them. You will find true friends. Remember above all...YOU and only YOU make decisions that are right for you and many follow you for the rest of your life. Don't take chances...stay off drugs! 99% of AOF members will agree!

Cheers

Sun

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-24-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You are psychologically very indicative of a typical peer pressure based argument I ran into in junior and high school...not so much in university. Interesting to note that.

The typical argument is since I am doing it so should you. By you convincing others you validate the behavior for yourself. It is an attempt at herd mentality and trying to create a uniformity in thought so that others conform to your belief. When you or someone is not so sure it is the right thing to do...human nature is designed to try and attract others to the same behavior to both validate and create a societal approval mechanism. You see this in crowds that turn into mobs and riots. People try and get others to join in before they themselves jump all the way in. Unfortunately...many people have not developed a great self of self worth and confidence in which to deflect this soft attack.

As such...while you as a drug user feels I am sad for not succumbing to your addictions and attempts at personal behavior and mental modifications...I understand and feel you pain and hope you eventually grow out of it before it is too late.

I sincerely hope all the children and young adults reading this thread realize and see the full scope of how drug users will try to convince you through various forms of peer pressure to use drugs. Anyone purporting to be your friend and won't take no for an answer...is not your friend. Run...don't walk away from them. You will find true friends. Remember above all...YOU and only YOU make decisions that are right for you and many follow you for the rest of your life. Don't take chances...stay off drugs! 99% of AOF members will agree!

Cheers

Sun
Where is the applause button. Very well articulated insight.
Closed Thread