Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Little miffed sure...but after letting the fact sink in that I am still working...it would be palatable. Now if I took a 15% pay cut...then management gave themselves all a 15% raise...then something else happens... till they get it.

This is exactly what is happening
Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
I am willing to bet that every protest that has happened in the last 50 years at least has had the same exact things said about it from old white conservative men.
Look at all the tea party protests. Criticized in fact for being populated by old white men by far left liberals...anglophobes and heterophobes. (and I might add, they didn't rape anyone, no heroin overdoses, no garbage, no crapping on the streets, and they made sense).
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Look at all the tea party protests. Criticized in fact for being populated by old white men by far left liberals...anglophobes and heterophobes. (and I might add, they didn't rape anyone, no heroin overdoses, no garbage, no crapping on the streets, and they made sense).
the tea party did make alot of sense, til they got corrupted by joining the republicans and acting as a wing.

Last edited by eastcoast; 11-22-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I know zero people out of the thousands of protesters that have taken part. So based on knowing nothing about any of the protesters first hand, I feel qualified to post here that I may know something about what is going on. As I said, I wasn't there, so I really don't know much more about the situation than Pophouseman, who also wasn't there, but would like us to think that he knows what it is all about.
There, now it is correct.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-22-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
In a few instances...not across the board. I have seen some execs take zero pay for a year.

Shareholders need to address this first and foremost...not making money...no bonus. Just like I think hockey players should all make $500,000. Then incentives for +/-, goals, assists, saves, hits, blocked shots, public appearances, condition factor etc.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:34 PM
AvayaAce

I like the letter to the editor in the Herald today. He commented that there is a mix of homeless occupiers as well as some who own homes. He suggested that the ones with homes open their doors and invite their homeless counterparts in the door...problem solved
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I've attended a "Feed the Hungry" dinner put on by SCI in Reno for the past several years and in the beginning it was a lot of street people that attended but last year, there were a large numbers of families with kids that were there for no other reason than they had fallen on hard times due to the economic crisis in the U.S. It was sad but it was also telling as to the state of things down there. I know it made me a lot more understanding and thankful for what we enjoy in Canada.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBB View Post
I like the letter to the editor in the Herald today. He commented that there is a mix of homeless occupiers as well as some who own homes. He suggested that the ones with homes open their doors and invite their homeless counterparts in the door...problem solved
For the win!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There, now it is correct.
Okay, so you are saying I have no more insight into the situation then you. Even though I am 50% american, I know perople who are at the protests, I lived on and off in the USA for years, I have been following this movement for over a year and actually know a thing or two about what this is all about. Sheephunter said it well, He went to an event for feeding the homeless and he couldn't beleive the families that are there.......I've said it before but this is my last post as you are not even worth arguing with

REGULAR MIDDLE CLASS HARD WORKING PEOPLE CAN"T EVEN AFFORD TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE BECAUSE GOVERMENT POLICY AND COPORATE FAT CATS ARE WASTING/TAKING IT ALL. THEY ARE NOT LAZY HIPPIES PROTESTING FOR A HANDOUT. DO A LITTLE READING/RESEARCH BEFORE YOU START TALKING ABOUT A SUBJECT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I've said it before but this is my last post
Old 11-22-2011, 02:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Okay, so you are saying I have no more insight into the situation then you. Even though I am 50% american, I know perople who are at the protests, I lived on and off in the USA for years, I have been following this movement for over a year and actually know a thing or two about what this is all about. Sheephunter said it well, He went to an event for feeding the homeless and he couldn't beleive the families that are there.......I've said it before but this is my last post as you are not even worth arguing with

REGULAR MIDDLE CLASS HARD WORKING PEOPLE CAN"T EVEN AFFORD TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE BECAUSE GOVERMENT POLICY AND COPORATE FAT CATS ARE WASTING/TAKING IT ALL. THEY ARE NOT LAZY HIPPIES PROTESTING FOR A HANDOUT. DO A LITTLE READING/RESEARCH BEFORE YOU START TALKING ABOUT A SUBJECT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.
For what's it's worth pop, I think you brought some very relevant and interesting info to this discussion. I didn't agree with it all but you do seem well informed about what's going on south of the border. Things are markedly different down there than in Canada...no question about that.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:59 PM

The biggest single issue I have with the occupy folks is when they do the math to show that they are the 99 % , they skip the vast majority of poor people in the world. The reality is even a 40 hour a week mcjob brings you real close to the 1% when you include the truly poor people of the world.

The homeless will always be with us for various reasons, and efforts should be maintained to improve there plight, social justice always good.

When the ocupy thing started I saw it having a real use as a counter point to the tea party, Someone to watch for out of control government and someone to watch for out of control Corps, both views have value. but it's not turning out that way.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
In a few instances...not across the board. I have seen some execs take zero pay for a year.

Shareholders need to address this first and foremost...not making money...no bonus. Just like I think hockey players should all make $500,000. Then incentives for +/-, goals, assists, saves, hits, blocked shots, public appearances, condition factor etc.
Ok that I would protest. I think honestly the 'overgrown kids'
PLAYING A GAME
for our amusement should make $50,000.00 or get real jobs.

If you want to talk about the insanely ridiculous wages look first at these guys.

Sorry for the derail. I hate hockey, only go because a kid begged me or I had to for work. I absolutely refuse to pay such ridiculous prices.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
the tea party did make alot of sense, til they got corrupted by joining the republicans and acting as a wing.
Ummm, I missed the part where the tea party joined the republicans. Got a news story or something to link to on that one??
Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 AM

Default Toronto kicking squatters out

TORONTO KICKING SQUATTERS OUT

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/11...st-james-park/
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Ok that I would protest. I think honestly the 'overgrown kids'
PLAYING A GAME
for our amusement should make $50,000.00 or get real jobs.

If you want to talk about the insanely ridiculous wages look first at these guys.

Sorry for the derail. I hate hockey, only go because a kid begged me or I had to for work. I absolutely refuse to pay such ridiculous prices.
Hey,

Don't think you're the only one here who thinks this. I feel much the same way. The thing is that, much like bank execs who are smart enough to get a good contract, you can not blame the players, or the owners or the league. You can blame the people who pay 200$ a game to watch the Flames lose and score no points. The team, league and player all get their money.

Much like those bank execs who everyone loves to hate on. They have the knowledge and experience to demand higher salaries and have them contractually guaranteed. They also have the smarts to try to do pseudo illegal things and have enough stand off distance so that if it all blows up there just isn't enough evidence to nail them for any actual or percieved crime.

Don't get me wrong, are they bad people? Yep. Did they do wrong? Yep. But our system is set up innocent till proven guilty for a reason. And there is also a ton of examples of people escaping the Eastern Bloc, and Cuba... but not too many of people going the other way. Capitalism and a Liberal Democracy is BETTER than any other alternative. 100% no other answer.

Get a good lawyer and you can literally get away with murder.... even if you left a ton of evidence like a glove, a bloody knife and a definable footprint behind....

What I find ridiculous about all this protesting is that they are essentially protesting people being smarter/faster than they are. I remember a comedian talking about communism and equality once. He basically said that if you took what the communists say to heart, we would have to keep the world more fair by putting cement shoes on ballet dancers to keep them clumsy liket the rest of us, put huge back packs on long distance runners to keep them slow and hit doctors in the head to keep them dumb.

Instead of taking the past month, yanking their heads out of their collective ar$es and trying to figure out how to get better and get ahead in life these protesters essentially whined that the world ain't fair and pouted like a pack of 3 year olds.

If Calgary was a herd of wildebeests, the lions would be feasting down at Olympic Plaza for sure.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Default YAHOO...Squatters are being removed!

http://live.theglobeandmail.com/Even..._police_action
Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
What I find ridiculous about all this protesting is that they are essentially protesting people being smarter/faster than they are.

It pretty much amounts to protesting against the people that are better at the game than they are. How many of the protesters would love to be in the positions of the people that they are protesting against?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
It pretty much amounts to protesting against the people that are better at the game than they are. How many of the protesters would love to be in the positions of the people that they are protesting against?
Yeah, like the other six teams camping out at BC Place on Sunday stating that they wish to talk about why BC and Winnipeg get to play and not them.

It's cause you lost. Play better next year and you have a chance.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

When I found myself without work, or in a lousy job, I looked for work elsewhere. I did what I had to to find a better job, and I worked hard to prove why I was a better employee when I did get that new job.

Yes I had hard times. Yes my life sucked, and I was angry. But I built up a reputation for being a good hard worker capable of getting the job done. Now I turn down more work than I can count.

When I have a problem with a law or a government policy, I make an appointment with my MP or MLA. I sit down and bring my concerns forward, and I provide documents that support my position. And yes I have seen some very small changes from some of the advocating I have done.

Perhaps if some of these occupiers did the same thing, it would not upset the general public, but would get the same message across. I learned long ago that the whiner may get a little candy in the short term, but gets the smallest treats at the end of the day.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Before Mike gets to this.....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
You know four people out of the thousands of protesters that have taken part. So based on knowing a miniscule percentage of the protesters first hand, you feel qualified to post here that the majority are skilled tradesmen or professionals. Did those four people that you know, spend their time going around taking a poll of the protester's qualifications, or did they talk to a few people and make assumptions about the rest of the protesters. As you said, you weren't physically there, so you really don't know much more about the situation than anyone else that wasn't there.

If it's not for a cause that he believes in, it can't possibly have any validity.
if I remeber correctly the anti c-68 rallies were sponsored by the conservative party and organized by them aswell,they bussed people in to demonstrate,that's alot different than a protest where ordinary people get together and protest against something,it's a political rally not a protest,I may be wrong because it's been a long time since the anit gun rallies but the 2 aren't the same.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
if I remeber correctly the anti c-68 rallies were sponsored by the conservative party and organized by them aswell,they bussed people in to demonstrate,that's alot different than a protest where ordinary people get together and protest against something,it's a political rally not a protest,I may be wrong because it's been a long time since the anit gun rallies but the 2 aren't the same.
That's one thing we can agree upon
Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Ummm, I missed the part where the tea party joined the republicans. Got a news story or something to link to on that one??
michelle bachmann is the leader of the -----------

Bachmann is a supporter of the Tea Party movement and a founder of the House Tea Party Caucus.

what a republican running for president that says they are the founder of the tea party caucus, either you have a very poor memory, or your just playing dumb.

The Tea Party movement has caucuses in the House of Representatives and the Senate of the United States.[14] The Tea Party movement has no central leadership, but is composed of a loose affiliation of national and local groups that determine their own platforms and agendas. The Tea Party movement has been cited as an example of grassroots political activity, although it has also been cited as an example of astroturfing.

Astroturfing is a form of advocacy in support of a political, organizational, or corporate agenda, designed to give the appearance of a "grassroots" movement. The goal of such campaigns is to disguise the efforts of a political and/or commercial entity as an independent public reaction to some political entity—a politician, political group, product, service or event. The term is a derivation of AstroTurf, a brand of synthetic carpeting designed to look like natural grass.

I can keep going if you would like?.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
That's one thing we can agree upon
well I will consced that point, I do remember preston manning on parliment hill with the protestors, but looking through google I can't find much about it, it did happen in 96-98 which on the internet is a long time ago.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 PM

I give the movement till the end of the week...then the camping ends. If they want to maintain a political presence..more power to them...but just stop camping.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Gone Hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-Ls...ayer_embedded#!

The defense rests your honor.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
michelle bachmann is the leader of the -----------

Bachmann is a supporter of the Tea Party movement and a founder of the House Tea Party Caucus.

what a republican running for president that says they are the founder of the tea party caucus, either you have a very poor memory, or your just playing dumb.

The Tea Party movement has caucuses in the House of Representatives and the Senate of the United States.[14] The Tea Party movement has no central leadership, but is composed of a loose affiliation of national and local groups that determine their own platforms and agendas. The Tea Party movement has been cited as an example of grassroots political activity, although it has also been cited as an example of astroturfing.

Astroturfing is a form of advocacy in support of a political, organizational, or corporate agenda, designed to give the appearance of a "grassroots" movement. The goal of such campaigns is to disguise the efforts of a political and/or commercial entity as an independent public reaction to some political entity—a politician, political group, product, service or event. The term is a derivation of AstroTurf, a brand of synthetic carpeting designed to look like natural grass.

I can keep going if you would like?.
No, you can stop anytime you want. NONE of what you said indicates that the Tea Party JOINED the Republicans. They are two separate entities. Although one influences the other, and their politics generally align better than they do with democrats...they are not joined. http://www.teapartyofamerica.org/goals/ No mention of supporting Republicans...only candidates that support Tea Party Goals.

Also...when you are quoting something you need to cite your sources...otherwise it's plagiarism and is meaningless. The article above citing astroturfing makes it sound like you pulled it off of the Huffington post or Wikipedia. The Tea Party is NOT an example of astroturfing...it has been accused of that by people like Nancy Pelosi, and Janeane Garofolo who obviously have their own agenda.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Wow...I mean...wow...that is just...wow.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Default Difference in workers and squatters

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/11/23...y-toronto-camp

When city staff were sent in to clean up...police moved through...dispersing the people...they waited until fanatics chained themselves to trees...that way the cleaning staff could work around them and being chained to a tree they could not resist.

LMFAO... No need to restrain...the protesters restrained themselves. That is cooperation!

"Police, however, had no intention of raising any more fuss than what was needed. Their plan, according to sources, was to leave anyone chained to a tree there, while taking down any structure around them."