Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Montana Decoy

I have been considering getting a montana decoy for this upcoming elk season. Just curious if anyone has used one and what they think of them quality wise and hunting effectiveness.

Also any do's or don'ts and setups

I mainly hunt/call elk alone

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-11-2008, 05:56 PM

friend of mine has one and was amazed last year at how well they work. Had a herd come into 20-30 yds for like 20 minutes. If it does anything it calms them down. Eventually the herd bull got fired up enough and came in screaming up to the decoy. I was 20 yds to the side and got a broadside shot. I guess you could use one yourself, but works better with a partner.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM

i just picked one up the elk cow a few weeks ago.
I was pretty disappointed as it looks flimsy. Its alot of money for a little fabric.
BUT if it helps getting a bull into range, its well worth it.
not much to tell about it, its about 4 feet across and sticks into the ground.

I have two tight cutlines where i know travel, so im pretty much going to but the decoy up on the line and start cow calling. Set up my treestand in front of the decoy and cross my fingers.

I'm too nervous about an elk ability to smell me to go on cow calling alone.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Hoochie Papa

I've been wanting one for a long time. I do a lot of hunting on my own, and the decoy would be like having a partner with you. (And doesn't whine NEARLY as much) Something to take the attention away from you as the bulls come in. Set it up 20 yards behind you and with a little luck he will walk right past you to the decoy.
I shuddered at the price tag though. Cabela's had them on sale a while back for $50, and I never took it. I sure regret that decision.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 AM

I heard they work great. Although the home made decoys I use also work great, but those are especically good because of weight, portability, durability and 'real-life' appeal. Pricey I suppose at $115 ish
Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the info guys!!
Now can anyone tell me if Elk are like deer do they circle down wind and come up on the rear?
If this is the case the "right setup" should be with the rump down wind.

I intend to do what I always do bugle and get in close before cow calling then set up the decoy and dow a few cow calls if you figure the bull is coming in then I would get down wind and wait not calling any more.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:59 PM

I have the Cow Elk III decoy, and my only regret about buying it is that I keep leaving the damn thing behind thinking I won't need it, but I have had quite a few encounters now where the elk have hung up looking for the cow that was calling, and couldn't see one. I still kick myself in the ass for leaving it in the truck last fall. Snuck to the edge of a field only to see two younger bulls sparring and messing around, gave them an estrous call, they came about 50yrds closer, but wouldn't commit cause they couldn't see the cow that was calling on the edge of the field. If I would've brought that decoy and setup right on the corner, they would've came right to me I'm sure. (Note to self: BRING THE DAMN DECOY NEXT TIME!!!)
Old 08-14-2008, 01:42 PM

I have the cow moose decoy, cow elk and deer decoys I have used the moose one the most for about 4 years now Not that flimsy still standing up well They work great a number of bull moose walk right up to it I put it out in conjunction with some scent on cotton balls. Very realistic look to them I took some pics of them set up in bush and other hunters were asking how I got so close to animals, not realising it was a decoy What I like most is they are really light and fold up so small that i can put them on my fanny pack so easy to get from place to place, plus they set up in about 30 seconds and very quietly To me with the realism and ease of transport they are worth the price

Gord