Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Good Grouping!

Easy to tell I'm a novice. I get my bow shooting great. Put 4 arrows into a tight group, I'm happy. Look at me shoot! Get up to my target and my Slick Tricks had cut the fletchings on the arrows in the target. Smart like tractor. Now I have to go and get my arrows fletched. My 11 year old says "maybe you shouldn't shoot them all at the same spot" I thanked him.
LB
Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 AM

I only shoot at the same target at 40 + yards. Anything under that is "multiple" targets. Have wrecked way to many arrows in the past.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 08-20-2008, 05:44 PM

did the same thing lastnight at 50 and 60 yards good thing I got a good fletching jig this spring
Old 08-20-2008, 09:45 PM

i did that a few times, cut a carbon arrow in half as the target was rotating as it got hit, got a fletching jig this year, and i dont usually shoot broad heads at the same spot
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 270 View Post
Easy to tell I'm a novice. I get my bow shooting great. Put 4 arrows into a tight group, I'm happy. Look at me shoot! Get up to my target and my Slick Tricks had cut the fletchings on the arrows in the target. Smart like tractor. Now I have to go and get my arrows fletched. My 11 year old says "maybe you shouldn't shoot them all at the same spot" I thanked him.
LB
Lol, i've been just as smart as you, and for a couple years too!

shooting the bow is fun, i found a different way to train for hunting situations now though....and takes a lot less time/effort/shooting but you've proven you gear is tuned well enough....not take it further.... here's a copy/paste from a recent reply i made...

"As far as practice goes....after starting into this about 6 yrs ago and shooting a ton in the first few years i've definitely got things way more streamlined now. Basically i figured out that all that group shooting isn't necessary anymore and typically throws my confidence to the gutter more often than it helps me so i quit that completely. Its not hard with today's gear to suss out bad arrows and get them out of the equation. I tune my bow with broadheads now, shoot only at broadhead targets (block style to get my pin gapping basically set, deer target for fine tuning and final practice leading up to the season opener), and i don't generally shoot more than a dozen arrows per session.

So this is what works for me now and i spend WAY less time doing it as i just don't have the kind of time i had a few short years ago.

Its way easier to be conistant if your putting a pin on the kill zone of a deer target. You want that 1st arrow to go there on your very first shot....COLD! Just like a real hunting situation. I've found that when you know the gear is tuned, the pins are gapped etc., you start on the deer at closer ranges and when you kill it every single time with your first shot then you move another 10 yrds out and thats where you start with your first shot on all the next sessions....when you kill it everytime then you keep going. For me i'm so reliable from inside 50 yrds that i don't start with that first shot until the buck target is at 50 yrds away. Why chew up your target on gimme shots for no reason? (like i said, the more you shoot the more you overthink and fatigue and compound them and your confidence takes a nose dive) When you train like that your pushing yourself further and further in practice....then when in hunting situations and the deer is much closer it becomes a slam dunk, you'll have a much further effective range and you'll have spent way less time doing all this.

I'm very consistant at 50-70 now but my 80 and 90 yrd pins not yet and i'm wondering if this is where my accuracy (group size potential etc.) is limited with my current gear? Could simply be my ability, could be gear, could be both. I will still get a few more sessions in, my first shot next session will be 80 yrds as my first session thats where i wasn't connecting where i wanted, still hitting the deer just wrong spots....my 70 yrd was good. But the 80 yrd shots were the end of a nine shot session and so i can't trust that....start to overthink things at this point. If my first shot at 80 goes kill zone i know i have the pin set and i simply shot too much before trying to go that far.

Sorry for the rambling. Just trying to help out hunters with what works for me....may not work for you but i love it. I dropped string once last year at 55 and hit my muley buck perfect. Picked up the bow for 1st time since a couple weeks ago, waxed the string, set out with my buck to see if i was still all good. Took 1st shot at 20 just to be sure, next shot at 50 and it was within a couple inches of the 20 yrd shot all over the heart area (which is generally where i tend to aim), then went out to 70 and sent two...both hit exactly the same height in the spine, i made one adjustment to the pin and sent another, it felt good when i shot and i can't see the arrows in the target from that far so up with the bino's and it was perfect. I could see my 60 yrd pin wasn't gapped properly, eyeballed it into position and shot from 60 and it was in there too.....then out to 80 and hit him high in the throat. Next 2 at 80 was brisket and high in the neck again so thats when i hung the bow up for the day and no more changes. Will start from 80 with that cold first shot and see where its at at the BEGINNING of the session....as obviously i'm not happy with my 80 yrd pin yet....but it doesn't bother me as I KNOW i probably took too many shots by that point and was overthinking things. If you took my 20 yr, 50 yrd, 60 yrd and 70 yrd(after the adjustment of the pin) you'd have a nice group in the kill zone on that buck....80 is where it went to crap and just happened to be the last of the shots.

Its so much easier settling a pin behind the shoulder on a deer target than trying to wiggle that pin around on a dot on a previous perfect first two shots hoping to keep that great group going strong and then blowing it because you overthought it. Took me a few years to figure out that type of practice wasn't helping me for hunting situations at all."
Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Great advice. I'm still far away from shooting out to those distances. 30 yards is about my limit. I am getting used to shooting and in the future I will broaden my shot options but for now the game will have to fit into what I feel comfortable with. Thanks Stinky.
LB
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

40 is only 10 yrds past 30....the arrow isn't doing anything different from 30 to 40 except its still cookin and still dropping...once that sucker is 1' foot off the end of your bow you have zero control over it....so don't let yardage become a big mental blocker for you, its just a different pin....30 to 50 things are still moving along pretty good, if your doing say 2" group-ish at 30 yrds you'll shoot as good to 70 as the next guy....just can't let the distance rattle you, good luck this season