Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Banned

Default Queen Charlotte's, port hardy or prince rupert?

Where would you go? Is the extra travel worth the it?

We're doing a little planning on a fishing trip for 6-8 of us to the coast next year. Figure it's a 12-14 hr drive to PR. About 20 hrs counting the ferry to the Charlotte's. I'm unsure about hardy.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 AM

I have the same question. I would assume the farther the better? I was looking at flights to hardy, looks like around 1000-1100 per. Drive would be all of 20 hours there. Real interested in Serengeti or Tides out of there.
Our groups main interest is coming home with as many fish as possible!

Spruce
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 AM

I did queen charlottes this year. Was beutiful and the fishing was unbelievable. Just got back from sooke yesterday that's not even comparable fishing wise. Our flights were to sandpit were around 400$ a person got them for a 100 with air miles. If you want a guide recommended for the queen charlottes pm me.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM

If you're going to the island head for Bamfield. Otherwise The Queen Charlottes is pretty tough to beat.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 AM

Here are some pics off my phone from the trip to Haida Gwaii my family and Gboe8 went on. I've been lucky enough to fish all over the west coast of BC and haven't found anything that beats the west coast of Haida Gwaii. I haven't had time to go through all the pictures but I can definitely say that the charlottes never disappoints. I used to spend some summers deck handing out there so if you want some charter options send Gboe8 or I a pm and we'll point you in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Awesome pictures!!!

I have only so far fished Rupert, and until things dry up I am going to continue. I just love it out there.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Awesome pictures!!!

I have only so far fished Rupert, and until things dry up I am going to continue. I just love it out there.

Ruperts awesome! Like you said in your other topic lots of places to go explore. I just prefer the west coast of the charlottes because that's where I grew up spending my summers. Also I find if the weather is **** 99% of the time you can still fish skidegate channel and find shelter and catch fish. Nothing worse then getting out to Lucy and having to turn around because the waters blown up

Old 08-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
I did queen charlottes this year. Was beutiful and the fishing was unbelievable. Just got back from sooke yesterday that's not even comparable fishing wise. Our flights were to sandpit were around 400$ a person got them for a 100 with air miles. If you want a guide recommended for the queen charlottes pm me.
Thinking of sandspit adventures.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcrobb12 View Post
Ruperts awesome! Like you said in your other topic lots of places to go explore. I just prefer the west coast of the charlottes because that's where I grew up spending my summers. Also I find if the weather is **** 99% of the time you can still fish skidegate channel and find shelter and catch fish. Nothing worse then getting out to Lucy and having to turn around because the waters blown up

Interesting. Last two times out to Langara we have been delayed flying into Masset. Guess where we turn around and flew back to, Sandspit. Of course it was nice and sunny there. Seems there might be some wisdom in looking further South of Masset
Thanks!
Old 08-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Interesting. Last two times out to Langara we have been delayed flying into Masset. Guess where we turn around and flew back to, Sandspit. Of course it was nice and sunny there. Seems there might be some wisdom in looking further South of Masset

Thanks!

Masset is a great fishery but any big wind can hinder you from getting on the water. From my experience anyways.

We fish skidegate channel and even if it's blowing northwest which is the worst wind for that channel you can still usually manage to find some shelter and be into the fish.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Gone Hunting

We cancelled our trip to Prince Rupert this year, because of the fires.

One road in, one out, not good if it's cut off by fire and there are crops in the field in Alberta.

BIL canceled his trip to Bella Bella because of the rain. folks down there say they are building a boat forty cubits long and looking for pairs of animals to put on it.

He planned on flying in so the fires weren't a concern for him.

I did a bit of fishing around Vancouver many many years ago but other then that have only fished Prince Rupert. It's getting crowded. I head Bella Bella is a lot quieter.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-15-2017, 02:48 PM
AO Sponsor

What an excellent topic!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:05 PM
AO Sponsor

I was recently in Rupert. There was lotsa fires south of Prince George, but they were nowhere near Hwy16, not even remotely close. Didn't even see smoke on the trip, was 3 weeks ago.

I think a lot of the answer the the original question is who you go with, not where you go. I went to Hardy a couple years ago with some outfit, they took us for a nice boat ride and took our money, didn't go more than 7 miles from town. We caught a couple 2 chinooks and a couple cohos like 5 in two days. One teeny Hali, one other lost cuz the guide was busy telling us stories about himself while his gaff was hooked around the line, having a gaffing time out while the fish was on the surface. I was hoping to go with Serengeti instead but he had no openings. Had I gone with them for an hour we would have had more fish than two days with the other outfit.

Obviously seeing the Serengeti threads, Hardy is a good place, but had you only gone with the goofy outfit and not knowing a good fisher, you would have thought Hardy was just some run of the mill place and no world class fishery existed there.

I suspect there are good fishers and bad and ugly no matter where you go. Some guys are exceptional fishers, motivated to boot. Find him and you win... barring what "nature" throws at you.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

It's a toss up between Serengeti and sandspit. By the pics I've seen they both put on a pretty good show.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I was recently in Rupert. There was lotsa fires south of Prince George, but they were nowhere near Hwy16, not even remotely close. Didn't even see smoke on the trip, was 3 weeks ago.

I think a lot of the answer the the original question is who you go with, not where you go. I went to Hardy a couple years ago with some outfit, they took us for a nice boat ride and took our money, didn't go more than 7 miles from town. We caught a couple 2 chinooks and a couple cohos like 5 in two days. One teeny Hali, one other lost cuz the guide was busy telling us stories about himself while his gaff was hooked around the line, having a gaffing time out while the fish was on the surface. I was hoping to go with Serengeti instead but he had no openings. Had I gone with them for an hour we would have had more fish than two days with the other outfit.

Obviously seeing the Serengeti threads, Hardy is a good place, but had you only gone with the goofy outfit and not knowing a good fisher, you would have thought Hardy was just some run of the mill place and no world class fishery existed there.

I suspect there are good fishers and bad and ugly no matter where you go. Some guys are exceptional fishers, motivated to boot. Find him and you win... barring what "nature" throws at you.
Come with me Marty. Let's go to Rupert!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-15-2017, 08:57 PM

just got back from 3 weeks from comox to bela bela . the fishing and crabbing got better as we went north and slowed as we came back south . port hardy north is as good as i have seen in pr . never been to the island - next years project !
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 PM

Default port hardy rules!!!

hey dudes!
JUST go back for port hardy last week with serengeti charters.
these guys are amazing.
any species you want they have a thousand spots.
they quality and variety is best available bar none!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ser1.jpg (85.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg ser2.jpg (91.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg ser3.jpg (88.1 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by wildman; 08-15-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
hey dudes!
these guys are amazing.
From the pictures David posts I'd have to say he's a good fisherman and seems like a good guy.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

So anyways back to the original question.

Queen charlottes, port hardy or Rupert?

Is the extra time traveling worth it?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:30 PM

Default !!!

also, for the $$$ you won't find better!
3 home cooked meals a day, super comfortable accommodations, pro fishing staff...
can't say enough!!!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 PM

Default !!!!!!

got my personal best salmon with these guys on a previous trip, 37 lbs
this trip, got my pb cod at 29 lbs and pb hali at 67 lbs
Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
So anyways back to the original question.

Queen charlottes, port hardy or Rupert?

Is the extra time traveling worth it?

Not trying to knock anyone else's personal favourites but QCI is world renowned as the best salmon fishing in the world.

I've fished all over and would pick the charlottes over anywhere else. That being said anywhere you go on the west coast will be an experience and any day fishing is better then a day at work
Old 08-15-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
hey dudes!
these guys are amazing.
awesome fish you guys nailed em! good job!!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

We're doing a little planning on a fishing trip for 6-8 of us to the coast next year. Figure it's a 12-14 hr drive to PR. About 20 hrs counting the ferry to the Charlotte's. I'm unsure about hardy.
Blaine, I would narrow it down to two, Hardy and Charlottes, PR isn't what it used to be and know many that fish it and guide it. The last two years consistently the best Chinook fishery on the coast has been Hardy, can look at reports and definitely true. With that being said the Charlottes is well known for it's great salmon fishing! If looking at a variety of species (Ling, Yelloweye, Hali, Salmon) I think Hardy with us has that hands down. This season and last I know Hardy has whole coast beat, no questions, on salmon fishing. But each year is different. If you're looking to mainly salmon fish and a little bit of halibut in between tides then Langara is a great place to go for that and have a chance at a Jim Dandy Chinook. Honestly depends on what you're looking for Make sure boats are top notch too and comfortable for 3-4 guys.

If there's one thing I know for sure though, regardless of where you go, you'll have an absolute blast with your group; how can you not with the scenery of the coast and big fish on the line Tough decision, both are great, I just know I'll work my ass off to give ya a good trip!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 08-15-2017, 11:27 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I have the same question. I would assume the farther the better? I was looking at flights to hardy, looks like around 1000-1100 per. Drive would be all of 20 hours there. Real interested in Serengeti or Tides out of there.
Our groups main interest is coming home with as many fish as possible!

Spruce
16 1/2 hours or so to Hardy. I'd look at flying direct from Calgary/Edmonton to Comox, renting a vehicle and driving 3 hours up to us, can get that flight for $400 round trip and cost on vehicle is minimal split between 3-4 guys. Can go Calgary->Van-> Hardy but more expensive for sure.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 08-16-2017, 12:33 AM
AO Sponsor

Ok... I got it figured....

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!

Go fish all of them! Just try your best to find a great fisher to go with.

Hardy is SPECTACULAR... when you go with Dave Sommers, Serengeti.
The Charlottes are obviously AWESOME!
PR is a proven fishery, there's spots around if you find the "Dave Sommers" of PR then it'll be unforgettable! Same goes for many of the other places. Pick one and go fishing! Next year if things aren't what you hoped, try another place. The weather will make or break some trips tho. Then there's Bamfield and Ucluelet, Winter Harbour, Kyoquot, surely many other places?

Just have to somehow keep the idolatry in check! 1 John 5:21! Key word... somehow!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Blaine, I would narrow it down to two, Hardy and Charlottes, PR isn't what it used to be and know many that fish it and guide it. The last two years consistently the best Chinook fishery on the coast has been Hardy, can look at reports and definitely true. With that being said the Charlottes is well known for it's great salmon fishing! If looking at a variety of species (Ling, Yelloweye, Hali, Salmon) I think Hardy with us has that hands down. This season and last I know Hardy has whole coast beat, no questions, on salmon fishing. But each year is different. If you're looking to mainly salmon fish and a little bit of halibut in between tides then Langara is a great place to go for that and have a chance at a Jim Dandy Chinook. Honestly depends on what you're looking for Make sure boats are top notch too and comfortable for 3-4 guys.

If there's one thing I know for sure though, regardless of where you go, you'll have an absolute blast with your group; how can you not with the scenery of the coast and big fish on the line Tough decision, both are great, I just know I'll work my ass off to give ya a good trip!
Might come down to a coin toss David.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:21 AM
Banned

So many questions lol.
If a guy is fishing to put fish in the freezer is 3 days enough or is 4 days preferred?
If a guy is limited out on salmon, halibut and cod by day 3 do you head out to the big water for tuna?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:10 AM
AO Sponsor

TU-NA...TU-NA... TU-NA... TU-NA...

Just say tuna and we'll live happily ever after!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:47 AM

Yes the extra driving time is worth it

Haida Gwaai was a blast fishing out of Masset with Escott Sportfishing Lodge

top notch boats & guides & fish till your arms get sore

Gerry & Bonnie ran a very nice B & B extra stay waiting for ferry

then the crab hunt on North Beach with waders n net was hilarious

Old Growth trees n wild life with beach combing

they were carving a new totem pole and we stopped by a stone carver's house

fishing trips are always more than just the fishing

David

Quote: