Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 PM

Default Vancouver island bass?

Heading to Campbell River for salmon, but wondering if there is any bass fishing on the island. Never done it before and will be on the island for a couple weeks.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 PM

Yes there is in Naniamo and around Victoria cant rember the lakes names of hand. Just stop in at a local fishing store and inquire about bass.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM

There is some decent bass fishing at Long Lake(Nanaimo) it is easy to find. Just stay on the old highway through town and the highway goes right past it. It is tough to fish it without a boat because of all the private access.

Another great bass lake is Quennel lake just a little south of Nanaimo in Cedar. There is a campground and stuff there where you can rent a canoe or lanch your boat. If you stop in at Gone Fishin in Nanaimo the guys there will tell you how to find it(easy to find).

If you want to do a bit more travalling you could make a trip over to Salt Spring Island and try St. Mary's lake great bass fishing as well.

Any other questions about the Island just send me a PM.

Hilgy
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM

2 years ago when I was up I spent 3 days on Spider lake full of Largemouth and smallies . Lots of fun .
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM

suggested lakes are all good Quennel lake being the best in my opinion

Spider lake would be a close second (and closer to Campbell river) has good Bass as well as some decent trout access is good look for Horn lake road off the island island hwy (half way between Qualicum and Bowser)...follow the signs

"Spider lake full of Large mouth and smallies"

only Small mouth in Spider Lake BBJ no Large mouth any ware on the Island

cohod

Last edited by cohod; 07-22-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
2 years ago when I was up I spent 3 days on Spider lake full of Largemouth and smallies . Lots of fun .
No largemouth in Spider but it is one heck of a smallmouth fishery. There are no largemouth on the Island. Quennel is my favourite. Seen smallmouth over 6 pounds there.

Vancouver Island:
Diver Lake - Near Hwy 19, 7 km. N. of Nanaimo, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Long Lake - 16 km. NW. of Nanaimo, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Quennell Lake - 7 km. SE. of Cedar, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Shawnigan Lake - 50 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Elk and Beaver Lakes - 13 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Prospect Lake - 18 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Glen Lake - W. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Holden Lake - SE. of Hwy 1 near Cedar, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Langford Lake - NW. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Matheson Lake - SW. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Spider Lake - S. of Dunsmuir, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Young Lake - NW. of Sooke, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass

Last edited by sheephunter; 07-22-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohod View Post
suggested lakes are all good Quennel lake being the best in my opinion

Spider lake would be a close second (and closer to Campbell river) has good Bass as well as some decent trout access is good look for Horn lake road off the island island hwy (half way between Qualicum and Bowser)...follow the signs

"Spider lake full of Large mouth and smallies"

only Small mouth in Spider Lake BBJ no Large mouth any ware on the Island

cohod
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No largemouth in Spider but it is one heck of a smallmouth fishery. There are no largemouth on the Island. Quennel is my favourite. Seen smallmouth over 6 pounds there.

Vancouver Island:
Diver Lake - Near Hwy 19, 7 km. N. of Nanaimo, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Long Lake - 16 km. NW. of Nanaimo, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Quennell Lake - 7 km. SE. of Cedar, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Shawnigan Lake - 50 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Elk and Beaver Lakes - 13 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Prospect Lake - 18 km. N. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Glen Lake - W. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Holden Lake - SE. of Hwy 1 near Cedar, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Langford Lake - NW. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Matheson Lake - SW. of Victoria, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Spider Lake - S. of Dunsmuir, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
Young Lake - NW. of Sooke, B.C. - Smallmouth Bass
I stand corrected but am 99 % sure it was a big ole bucketmouth , I gotta dig up pictures .
Old 07-22-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Lures?

Thanks looks like ill be checking out spider lake, possibley some other ones farther if i have time. What kinda of lures should i be using, ive never gone for smallmouth.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ca View Post
Thanks looks like ill be checking out spider lake, possibley some other ones farther if i have time. What kinda of lures should i be using, ive never gone for smallmouth.
I primarily fly fished popper fly's... but you cant go wrong with a floating (jointed or not) perch,rainbow Rapala

Good luck!
cohod
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM

Man how could I forget Spider.

I spent most of my spare time (and then some) in high school fishing Quennel lake. By far the most fun is using a medium hoola popper. Tons of huge surface strikes.

Spider is closest but if you dont have a boat it can be tough to fish. At least at Quennel you can rent one from ZiderZees campground.

Hilgy
Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM

I heard walleye grubs work the best
Old 05-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Default Big Bass

Just found this thread, a tad late but wanted to share important info. Most of what I read I agree with, however, there are Largemouth on Vancouver Island, in Elk/Beaver lakes (connected lakes) on the south island. They range up to 10 lbs!! Smallies there as well. Spider lake holds some very large small mouth bass, however that lake is no power allowed, which in this case even means electrics!. This lake is worth the extra rowing, not a lot of fishing pressure, great action for both bass and trout. Any questions on Vancouver Island bass please do ask, for I am happy to share the knowledge.
Till Later,
Tight Loops"N"Lines
Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWulf View Post
Just found this thread, a tad late but wanted to share important info. Most of what I read I agree with, however, there are Largemouth on Vancouver Island, in Elk/Beaver lakes (connected lakes) on the south island. They range up to 10 lbs!! Smallies there as well. Spider lake holds some very large small mouth bass, however that lake is no power allowed, which in this case even means electrics!. This lake is worth the extra rowing, not a lot of fishing pressure, great action for both bass and trout. Any questions on Vancouver Island bass please do ask, for I am happy to share the knowledge.
Till Later,
Tight Loops"N"Lines
Thanks for the info. originally from Ont. so miss bass fishing a lot might have to fit in a trip to Vancouver Island. Will be in touch before I go.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 AM

All the lakes mentioned are good lakes and there is large mouth on the island in elk and beaver. You guys forgot to mention the best lake on vancouver island, shawingan. I am not sure if they have boat rentals on the lake, but you best chance to catch a 5 pounder, which would be classified as a trophy in most parts.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM
beehive

Spent a week there in the first week of april , caught fish at elk and beaver lake. Its really one lake connected by a narrows. The canadian rowing team trains on this lake and although cool to watch they can get in the way at times due to the fact those boats cannot turn quick.A boat or floattube helps but by the middle of june fish can be EASYLY caught from shore. I have only hooked up fish ,smallies that is, up to the 3-4 lb mark but many .The best spot to fish bass in the area is on saltspring island a short ferry ride from victoria. I just walk on the ferry and hitch a ride to the lake from the ferry terminal in ganges harbor on saltspring.A floatube is essential on saltspring due to the shoreline , most is privately owned . There is one public launch and can be very busy at times,but the fishing is top shelf. Wooly buggers are killer along with dark coloured senkos.The locals all fish the saltchuck for salmon and halibut ,most of the bass fishermen i ran into were from other provinces. The hotel in ganges harbor,the old one ,has excellent local beer, wine ,and burgers.Not enough oos in cool for this place.

Last edited by beehive; 05-23-2011 at 07:31 PM.