Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Is this Normal?

I'm very new to archery, got my new bow a few months ago and just finally finished equipping it properly. Bow has been set up for shooting but not sighted in yet. Yesterday we were shooting it for the first time and my grouping was reasonable, but placement was different from the other guy who was shooting it. Is this normal? Should the same bow shoot differently for each individual?
His groups were much closer to the centre than mine, and mine was high and right (2inch group at 20 yards).

Granted, the bow is not sighted in yet, but should I start changing things yet? Are there other things I should consider before properly sighting it in??

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Last edited by AdamJ; 06-30-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:57 PM

Everybody shoots a little different. I would sight it in for yourself and nobody else.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Everybody shoots a little different. I would sight it in for yourself and nobody else.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Sighting in will be a work in progress, especially if your new to shooting a bow. You will find that your groups will wander around on you as your form changes and gets more refined and consistent. It might take 500 arrows or it might take 1000 this summer before you are completely finished and groups are very consistent and tight to the distances youd like to feel comfortable at. If i dont pick up my bow all winter, in the spring it will take me afew arrows for form at the close target to get firing on all cylinders again. Best to shoot afew in the basement for form even if its at 5 yards, just to keep things clicking in the winter months. As the years go by, you will find that it will take fewer and fewer arrows every spring (not having shot in the winter) to get going again. Might be different for others though, i can only speak for myself!! So until ya "get there" you might have to keep adjusting the sights (move the whole bracket, dont move them around individually!!) to keep your arrows close to center on the target. I think its natural to see groups wander around until its all automatic and every shot is identical.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 06-30-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Sighting in will be a work in progress, especially if your new to shooting a bow. You will find that your groups will wander around on you as your form changes and gets more refined and consistent. It might take 500 arrows or it might take 1000 this summer before you are completely finished and groups are very consistent and tight to the distances youd like to feel comfortable at. If i dont pick up my bow all winter, in the spring it will take me afew arrows for form at the close target to get firing on all cylinders again. Best to shoot afew in the basement for form even if its at 5 yards, just to keep things clicking in the winter months. As the years go by, you will find that it will take fewer and fewer arrows every spring (not having shot in the winter) to get going again. Might be different for others though, i can only speak for myself!! So until ya "get there" you might have to keep adjusting the sights (move the whole bracket, dont move them around individually!!) to keep your arrows close to center on the target. I think its natural to see groups wander around until its all automatic and every shot is identical.
One option for winter shooting is to go to a bunch of indoor 3D shoots around the area keeps you in practice and it is fun
Old 06-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Default Shooting

The key to consitant shooting is to make sure you have an anchor point that you use all the time. Either the the knuckle of your fist in behind your jaw and the string at the corner of your mouth. Something that feels comfortable and that is easy to replicate each time you draw your bow. Hope this helps. Good luck!!
Old 07-01-2008, 06:55 PM

you should also paper tune your bow
setup a piece of newspaper some do it in a doorway put a backstop 5 feet or so behind the newspaper you want the hole to be something like a bullet hole you can tell if it is off because you can see where the point hits and where the fletches tear through when you have an (x) youre tuned in
you tune it in by raising or lowering your rest side to side also
akes some screwing around but it makes a hell of a difference especially once you start using broadheads
Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Certainly two fellows can shoot same bow differently Slightly different anchor points, different hand grip, wrist torque etc can all affect arrow groupings Don't worry about how other guys shoot your bow just set it up and sight in for yourself.

Gord
Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 AM

define normal