Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 PM

Default 21st Century Archery

I was in harassing the fellers at ye olde archery shoppe today when they showed me the latest and greatest in new fangled pointy-sticks.

I think it was made by Easton and is basically an A/C/C that is made inside out - with the carbon fibres on the inside and the aluminum on the outside. The the feller told me they put on these little two inch fletches and they supposedly work like a hot damn, even for hunting applications with warheads on.

Guys, here is what I want: I want an arrow that will pull out easy from the average target butt. I also want it to pull out of 3D foamy targets easily too. Finally I want something that is almost impossible to bend.

Does such an arrow exist? I almost had a hemmorhoid pulling arrows the other day and these old carbon Bemans are really starting to pi** me off. For hunting they would be great but for target work, they blow.

Your two cents would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Use arrow lube. Common practice with 3D shooters.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 PM

im guessing your talking about full metal jackets? And yes they are very high end but then again so is the price
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Arrow Pull

Don't forget shooting a field point into a broad head target will make you bust a nut! The target is designed to have cuts going in, thus making it easier to pull out the arrow. If you shoot a field point into a broad head target you are just separating the layers not cutting.

For field points have a field point target. They are a joke to pull out!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:14 AM

cheap arrow lube = bar soap, rub it on the front 6-8" of the arrow and it pulls like it's covered in oil...sweet & easy fix
Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 AM

The target butts we have out here are made out of some kind of fibre board. Will arrow lube work on that too? The arrows really sink into this stuff too.

I got so ticked off with this that I went back to aluminum for now, I found an old stash of X7's downstairs and fletched them up. Now I have to re-tune and reset all my sights.

Do they still make X7's anymore?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Dear Rusty,

Wipe your arrow shafts with 10-30W synthetic motor oil. Be sure to apply liberally. Then, just before releasing the arrow from the bow, ignite the motor oil with a tiger torch. The air speed of the arrow will distinquish the flames before damage to the shaft can occur yet will leave a sooty residue. This residue will produce a very high degree of slipperiness thus allowing easy removal of your arrow from the target butt. However, I must question your method of shooting always at the target's butt as unless the femoral artery is cut, the animal will not expire forthright. I recommend the classic, and effective, double lung shot. Good luck to you in the future. BTW, always unstring and clean your bow before storage.

Robin of Loxley

Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 AM

Isn't that just like you Bobby? Always trying to get poor ol' Rusty in chit.

I'm not as stupid as I look, I asked the archery club management if I could play with flaming arrows on the range.

They said no! Then they got all huffy and snarky and I think my membership got revoked.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella I suppose.

Have ye been to Africa yet Bob?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM

Rusty - I think you're butts would be made of ten test. The best thing to do is use an arrow scraper like a Wookie Brand. I've never done it, but I'm sure a bit of Woody's would help out too.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:03 PM

Rusty,

How did you know it was me? Afterall, I did sign it as Robin of Loxsley.

Haven't been to Africa yet. We're scheduled to hunt the first half of March. I'll bring you back a bottle of Namibian Scotch.

Bobby B.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 PM

Nabibian scotch?!?!?

Filtered through your kidneys first, no doubt!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Dear Rusty,

As I'm sure you're aware, Namibia (not Nabibia) is of strong German descent politically. And, as I also sure you're aware, the Germans once controlled all of Scotland when it was nothing more than a primitive wasteland inhabited by vicious Picts. Therefore, it is actually the Germans who founded the great scotch distilleries (and drunkeness) in Scotland. Namibia is known world wide for it's great Scotches. As a scotch drinker of some merit, you should appreciate the significance of my offer. However, your English ancestory has surfaced only to illustrate the inherent weakness of your clodish bloodlines. Therefore, I urge you to reevaluate your absurd conclusion regarding the distilation process of my kidneys. OR ELSE!!!!

Prince Heybobaloobob

Old 07-25-2008, 06:23 PM

You guys are crackin' me up here! Sometimes its great to get away from 'fart' jokes to enjoy some humor that may or may not require the use of a theasaures!

However, Bobby's advice to Rusty actually reminded me of the difference between perception and reality. For example.........

PERCEPTION:

Pretty cool, eh? Unfortunately........

REALITY:

Rusty, I really hope you get your membership back!

Tree
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 PM

C'mon Tree, you obviously don't know Rusty. The only memberships he ever held was to MENSA and the WWBSS. I presume you recognize both. Oh yes, and the DBCW.

Bobby B.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
C'mon Tree, you obviously don't know Rusty. The only memberships he ever held was to MENSA and the WWBSS. I presume you recognize both. Oh yes, and the DBCW.

Bobby B.
Ohhhhhh, THAT Rusty! Wow, this explains everything. You're talking about this guy right?

Tree

Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 AM

Vikings go to Valhalla when they die. Christians, if they're good go to heaven.

Guys like Bobby and I, when we die, will go to Bucket Hall, situated on the picturesque Loch Lomond in Scotland.

The hunt is always on at Bucket Hall. There are more trophies on the walls there than there is in Tree's house. Dinner is a formal occasion, preceded by the hunters sipping 18 year old Highland Park from cut glass tumblers, smoking cigars and mulling the day's hunt.

When dinner is called, servants (like Bob) dash out with plates laden with Haggis, hogsfeet, boiled cabbage and tankards of prune juice. After each course is finished, they clear the dishes away. Spotted Dick is usually served for desert.

When night falls and it is time for the guests to go home, Bob and his servants scurry to bring their horses from the stable where they have been curried, combed out and saddled for the night's ride home.

When we all meet again on the other side of this life, you may wish to stop by Bucket Hall for a day's hunting, a drink and a cigar. All will be welcome!

Turn up your speakers for a fine Scottish treat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDee-mHMdwY
Old 07-26-2008, 08:54 AM

Hold it, Rusty. Why do I have to be a servant in Bucket Hall? I'd much rather be a drunken womanizer with a weak spot for East Indian beauties. And forget the Haggis, cabbage and prune juice. My tastes prefer moose roasts, king crab legs, Green Giant Sweetlet peas, black caviar, Italian reds and rum and cokes. Nor will I settle for a saddle horse when sports cars consume gas rather than produce it. Furthermore, I doubt I'd survive long in the dreary dampness of Scotland. Why not a tropical island teeming with always eager, nubile exotics dancing barefoot at our dinner table? Frankly, chum, me wonders what has become of your imagination.

Bobby B.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the link, Rusty. If Bucket Hall is anywhere, it'll be on the Loch Lohman. It sounds like a glorious place for a fellow weary Scot to rest. However, as I'm taking Mrs Tree camping this weekend (sans children), and I've already managed to loch..............er lock the keys inside my still running truck, I may just be the one to welcome ye to Bucket Hall when you eventually arrive! God help me.............

Tree
Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Well, Bob, it's not like you really have any choice in the matter - for you see, in the afterlife I shall be rewarded for all the things I have done on earth, and you shall be properly punished for yours! You shall wait on the sportsman hand and foot for all eternity!

Have a good trip Tree and if ya get to Bucket Hall before I do, make sure Bob keeps your glass full and your guns clean!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Rusty...........I shall. Bob will make a great servant as he will be able to reload for me!

I'll return your link with one of mine. This is my 'Bucket Hall'..........

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SAnmMPaYi78

Tree
Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 AM

Rusty, you certainly are the benevolent intellectual you portray yourself to be. I fully realize the errors in judgement I've willingly commited in this life so the punishment you describe for me is, in fact, quite light. Yet, the role of a servant, and the quality of the food, I could accept, in time, I suppose. But I will never be part of the Scottish tradition of 'mutton bustin'. BTW, did the kilt evolve out of neccessity as part of that 'bestial sport'?

Bob

Old 07-26-2008, 03:22 PM

In the interests of our more gentlemanly sportsmen Bob, suffice it to say that what happens in Scotland stays in Scotland! Perhaps a Scottish poem will help the rest of us get our minds out of the same gutter Bob's is in? Quiet everyone, whilst I recite:

*ahem*

Bobby Has The Chits Again
Bobby has the chits again
Ah cannae use the cludgie!
He's perched upon
The toilet seat
Half man - half giant budgie!

Ah told yah Bobbie
Ye shouldnae huv
The lukewarm Tandoori Mince
Now finnish, before Ah kark mah breeks!
And give the bowl a rinse!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Wipe your arrow shafts with 10-30W synthetic motor oil. Be sure to apply liberally. Then, just before releasing the arrow from the bow, ignite the motor oil with a tiger torch. The air speed of the arrow will distinquish the flames before damage to the shaft can occur yet will leave a sooty residue. This residue will produce a very high degree of slipperiness thus allowing easy removal of your arrow from the target butt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
You just HAD to try it, now, didn't ya, Tree?

Too funny, guys.

Stinky B.