Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM

Default so much for my bow season!

I just tore my right bicep today. I know others have it worse than me but i did a lot for this years bow season and i think shes already over.Any one have a torn bicep and shoot bow? Any advice? I was shooting awsome and got my new bow tuned great. Now i got a partial tear in my bicep. The sergion said they don't operate on partial tears until or " If " it tearsall the way.I think thats bs . Any one have any exp with this? The big guy is making me earn this bow kill elk the hard way.lol
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 PM

my only advice is to not rush the healing process. I had to sit out a hunting season one year because I blew my knee out, but know I'm back on the wagon chasing game whereever they go, my knee never slows me down.

Take it easy, lots of physio and go shoot lots of birds.

Sorry to hear about your luck.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Hoochie Papa

I gotta disagree with Big Rack Lover. 3 years ago I broke my arm 1 week before spring bear season. I went through my own version of therapy for that week. By the time we went hunting, I was able to shoot my wife's bow. Half way through the tip, I pulled mine back once. The arm I broke was my holding arm, not my drawing arm, and I had no cast on. Doctors are looking out for your best interest. They add a 200% safety factor to all of their diagnosis's's's's (?) I worked it to my limits and then a bit more. But remember, I used to ride bulls as a hobby, so a little brain damage adds to the theory.

I suggest tape the snot out of it, turn your bow down, and do your best.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 PM

Jaybull

If you really can't pull the bow back in time for the season, you can still enjoy the season and take a hunting partner out.....be the guide.....you will probably enjoy that just as much.....well, maybe not.

Just a thought.....sure worked for me when I dislocated my knee and severed all 4 ligaments holding it together in Aug 04. I thought my season was done but even just getting out with my hunting partners for a ride in the truck felt great. When I tried walking in the bush, I could walk about 20 yards and then I would have to sit for 30 minutes just to be able to keep going ......... but boy did that fresh air smell good.

Good luck to you and I hope you heal up fast........Marco
Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 PM

Jay, one more tip..............NEVER EVER take medical advice from someone how rode bulls for a hobby!

Good Lord, Hoochie. Anyone ever tell ya that a 'hobby' simply involves collecting things or perhaps building a tall ship in a bottle. Bull riding is NOT a hobby..................it's a sickness!

Had a kid on staff for a while that was one of the crash test dummies for the Stamped stock in Olds once a week. Tougher than Newfie moose gravey! Only a couple of 8's but mostly hurt. Gored in eyeball was a gooder, but end came last year with a busted up neck and fractured skull! Sheesh. Next goal is to be an outrider.............

Please excuse me as I have some stamps to tend!

Tree
Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 AM

i hurt one of the ligaments in my left shoulder(bow hand) and ever since i cant shoot for more than half an hour or 45 minutes without having to take a break. I hurt my shoulder lifting weights and never really let it heal and it still bugs me 6 months later so let your arm heal even if you miss a year hunting at least you'll be able to hunt next year and the year after with a good arm not a half healed arm
Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Jay, one more tip..............NEVER EVER take medical advice from someone how rode bulls for a hobby!

Good Lord, Hoochie. Anyone ever tell ya that a 'hobby' simply involves collecting things or perhaps building a tall ship in a bottle. Bull riding is NOT a hobby..................it's a sickness!

Had a kid on staff for a while that was one of the crash test dummies for the Stamped stock in Olds once a week. Tougher than Newfie moose gravey! Only a couple of 8's but mostly hurt. Gored in eyeball was a gooder, but end came last year with a busted up neck and fractured skull! Sheesh. Next goal is to be an outrider.............

Tree
Well.........I guess that makes us experts on healing. All brain function deficiencies aside...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreek View Post
Jaybull

If you really can't pull the bow back in time for the season, you can still enjoy the season and take a hunting partner out.....be the guide.....you will probably enjoy that just as much.....well, maybe not.

Just a thought.....sure worked for me when I dislocated my knee and severed all 4 ligaments holding it together in Aug 04. I thought my season was done but even just getting out with my hunting partners for a ride in the truck felt great. When I tried walking in the bush, I could walk about 20 yards and then I would have to sit for 30 minutes just to be able to keep going ......... but boy did that fresh air smell good.

Good luck to you and I hope you heal up fast........Marco

thanks good advice. And i still can shoot a rifle cuz i shoot lefty.My right can hold a barrel by then lol just did a lot of prep for bow elk this year .life goes on.gonna stay away from bow at least 4 months till i build it strong again.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post
Well.........I guess that makes us experts on healing. All brain function deficiencies aside...
hoochie i respect where your coming from. I worked alot of days and nights in the cold on rigs hurt. I'm only 32 . But hockey,dirtbikes,street fights,snowbording,ect ect has beat the crap out of me. 15 brokin bones and like you some brain trama,lol, this guys gonna try a different approch this time. Take time to heal. Only the last 6 years ive slowed down in life to enjoy a healthy life style. AKA no more 50' jumps and crash on dirtbikes. So i think my body is still trying to get it together. lol My old man said to me once " if you walk a mile into the bush, It's gonna take a mile to get out of the bush." Or something like that. but i get it now.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM

jaybull - I've been dealing with a shoulder injury for some time now and it cost me the 3D archery season. To make a long story short in some ways my injury is similiar & in others not. I have a torn bicep and strained ligaments that attach to my rotator cuff. I was given exercises by a physiotherapist and I was very lucky to see immediate improvement. So if you were given some exercises follow through with that, they really do work.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

Tree
HaHa but do you think we will listen to someone who spends all day waving at passing airliners and talking to birds.......no cancel that...talking to Eagle's,birds don't go that high...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 AM

How did you tear it ?
Drawing a bow ?

Here's a suggestion.
If you can't draw a bow , can you still work a elk call ?
If so , maybe travel south about 3 1/2 hrs and you can work a call for me ???
Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 PM

i tore it at work and havent tried to pull bow yet. I'm gonna crank the poundage down to 60 and try after 3 weeks. the doc said it souldn't be a problem as he thinks one wouldn't use the bicep to pull bow. Not sure if he is right about that one? But i'm still gonna give it 3 weeks of light duty on the arm before trying. And if that don't work, anybody need a caller? WILL CALL FOR FOOD! " elk meat ".lol
Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up

Seems i heal very fast. 2 weeks off and i can pull my bow at 60#. Looks like i'm back in the game. Just gonna shoot 2 shots twice a week monday and friday,see how it goes. Just going to make them 2 shots really count and take it from there. Elk fever in full effect.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Good to hear you're on the mend. Not sure if you're into video taking, but that's what I'd be doing if I couldn't use the bow. Follow some buddies into the bush or set up another treestand and catch the action on camera. Very rewarding and a lot less buck fever when it's the other guy shooting.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowkaddyguy View Post
Good to hear you're on the mend. Not sure if you're into video taking, but that's what I'd be doing if I couldn't use the bow. Follow some buddies into the bush or set up another treestand and catch the action on camera. Very rewarding and a lot less buck fever when it's the other guy shooting.
i do some of that to even if i'm ready to hunt. Then next time its my buddies turn, then me agian until one tags out. And your right it's a rush but not a bad on the nerves.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 PM

Default Torn bicep

A few years back, I set off in morn to dump two old 37 inche T.Vs in recycle. Cold morning early & stiff cold muscles. I tried lifting over lip of bin & a loud pop followed by horrible pain. Being a bit stubborn I ignored it too long till doc said no good to try help now. So I just kept ignoring it & it has taken 1.5 years to heal fairly good. I tore 1/2 the tendon completely off my bicep & it curled into a ball in elbow joint . You need to baby it for sure a while but give it till start of season & try. My bicep just got bigger on other 1/2 & has been oddly some reconnecting. I used my Bowflex on light at 1st & did curls. Try soup cans or milk jugs anything but let it heal first. If not go Rifle mad. I am back to pulling 70 lbs now! Don't ignore the pain. It will heal. Tossdart