Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Default Oops...sign your license!

I was approached by a very friendly CO today in K-country (he was a CO -- not an SRD officer. I haven't been approached by an SRD officer in 4 years of hunting and fishing in this province). He asked to see my license and hook -- no problem. He espressed that he was pleased with how well pinched my barb was; and laughed at how wet my license was (I had ended up going a little deeper than planned); and then said "there's just one thing -- and we see this pretty often. When your license dries out, you really need to sign it." So...just thought I'd bring this up, in case there are others who didn't think to sign their license after printing it off -- there is a space for it to be signed, and they are looking for your signature to be there. I don't know if there are possible consequences for not having it signed -- this guy just told me to make sure I did it, and left it at that.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I was approached by a very friendly CO today in K-country (he was a CO -- not an SRD officer. I haven't been approached by an SRD officer in 4 years of hunting and fishing in this province). He asked to see my license and hook -- no problem. He espressed that he was pleased with how well pinched my barb was; and laughed at how wet my license was (I had ended up going a little deeper than planned); and then said "there's just one thing -- and we see this pretty often. When your license dries out, you really need to sign it." So...just thought I'd bring this up, in case there are others who didn't think to sign their license after printing it off -- there is a space for it to be signed, and they are looking for your signature to be there. I don't know if there are possible consequences for not having it signed -- this guy just told me to make sure I did it, and left it at that.
Good to know. I never did before, but will now. Thanx!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Says right above the signature line: Licence not valid until signed.

Technically, he could have given you a ticket for fishing with an invalid licence.
Yes, the licence has an issue date on it, but you may have picked it up off the ground. Your signature proves it is actually your licence.

You were obviously trying to follow the rules, ie: the pinched barb, and the signature was probably just an oversight.

Kudos to the CO for being reasonable.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
Says right above the signature line: Licence not valid until signed.

Technically, he could have given you a ticket for fishing with an invalid licence.
Yes, the licence has an issue date on it, but you may have picked it up off the ground. Your signature proves it is actually your licence.

You were obviously trying to follow the rules, ie: the pinched barb, and the signature was probably just an oversight.

Kudos to the CO for being reasonable.
Oh, I don't deny any of that...it just wasn't something I thought of when I printed it off. Although a person's name, address, phone #, WIN #, DL#, and date of birth should provide evidence of who it belongs to. The CO asked my date of birth to confirm. Don't get me wrong -- I know I'm in the wrong on this. Just that after hearing that it is a common problem, I thought I'd make others aware of that fact.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM

all though where ever you purchased the fishing licence they usually make you sign the licence before you leave there store.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
all though where ever you purchased the fishing licence they usually make you sign the licence before you leave there store.
They do -- but I purchased mine online.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
Not online
Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Alacringa, in your original post, you said you didn't know what the consequences would be if you didn't sign your licence--i simply posted what might happen.

Also, I said in my first reply that the lack of a signature was just an oversight on your part.

Please note that what I posted was NOT an accusation on your part, and was intended to elaborate on your post of the reminder to sign.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 PM

I forgot to sign mine and the f&w just asked to see my dl then he gave me a pen
Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM

Just went and signed mine.Had no idea thanks for the info
Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM

I made the same mistake a couple years back, got stopped on the lake at Pigeon. The CO checked our stuff and when I showed him my license he clicked his pen and turned his head and said I forgot something. I was a bit embarassed as I had bought my licence at 5am and totally forgot. Kudos to him for being friendly about it.

Lefty
Old 05-22-2011, 11:56 PM

I went about 5 years without signing mine and none were purchased online. I would just pay the clerk at CT and fold it and put it in my wallet. 2 years ago I was checking some info on my license and seen the "Not Valid until signed" part.

Thanks for the heads up Alacringa. I think that there will be a few people getting the pens out after reading this thread.

Last edited by New Hunter Okotoks; 05-23-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Needed gooder grammar.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM

I have purchased mine from the "Fishing Hole" the last 5 years and they never once told me to sign it. Never even really looked at it to notice that it had to be signed lol. I think a CO would have to be the biggest a-hole in the world to give you a hard time about it missing.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I just went to check on myn and it was signed. Then I noticed that I had two of them in my wallet. The 2010-2011 was signed but the 2011-2012 was not.

Thanks for the reminder.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM

wish our cards were like those in ontario
http://www.bewdleytouristresort.com/images/cards_03.jpg
Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
wish our cards were like those in ontario
http://www.bewdleytouristresort.com/images/cards_03.jpg
I just wish we had those fish here LOL hey what lake was that bucket guy at? maybe they were bass fingerlings? and why does that sound so dirty?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 AM

I keep my license in a zip top baggie in my tackle box, keeps it dry and easy to read and i sign mine as soon as i get it.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Always sign mine. Buy it online. Print off 5 or 6 copies. sign and then laminate all but one of theml. One laminated copy into each tackle box and boat and unlaminated one in my wallet.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I just wish we had those fish here LOL hey what lake was that bucket guy at? maybe they were bass fingerlings? and why does that sound so dirty?
The trouty boys are scared of bass. Heck they wouldn't know what to do if we had half the fish that are in the lakes back east.
Sunfish
bluegills
rock bass
silver bass
cat fish
bull heads would all do well out here.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
The trouty boys are scared of bass. Heck they wouldn't know what to do if we had half the fish that are in the lakes back east.
Sunfish
bluegills
rock bass
silver bass
cat fish
bull heads would all do well out here.
Don't forget gar pike!

A buddy of mine had his mask and snorkel outfit on while putting in the docks at his Dad's camp on the French River. He nearly drowned when he freaked at the sight of a 40+lb Musky cruise by him!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Always sign mine. Buy it online. Print off 5 or 6 copies. sign and then laminate all but one of theml. One laminated copy into each tackle box and boat and unlaminated one in my wallet.
I save the .pdf file to my desktop...then, if I lose or wreck the one I printed off, I can just print another (and, now, remember to sign it).